Funimation's 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:43 pm

Anyone know if these artwork covers were released on Dragon Ball art books or something? These cases would be great for my Dragon Ball Kai Blu-ray Discs.

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:26 pm

Fourth Form Freeza, Perfect Cell, but Fat Boo?

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:33 pm

MyVisionity wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:26 pm Fourth Form Freeza, Perfect Cell, but Fat Boo?
Fat Buu is more visually iconic at this point than Super Buu or Kid Buu.

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:47 pm

I was gonna make a joke and say "they went with the BEST versions of each villain" but they used Perfect Cell instead of Imperfect.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:50 pm

Shaddy wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:47 pm I was gonna make a joke and say "they went with the BEST versions of each villain" but they used Perfect Cell instead of Imperfect.
Funnily enough I agree! Imperfect Cell to me is a far more interesting character to me than Perfect Cell is.

AnimeMaakuo
Advanced Regular

Post by AnimeMaakuo » Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:47 am

I prefer Perfect Cell. IMO the art is fine, but the footage is not.
My YouTube

Soppa Saiyjins from Dorgou Ballru Zetto is my favorite transformation everah, especially when Trounksoru did it in front of Seru and when Bejita did it when he faced Jingonigen-hachigo. But for real, I use the FUNi pronunciation. - Soppa Saia People

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:57 am

So it seems like it is indeed possible to cancel the pre orders of this set. And there's not that many people over the limit Funimation put up who have ordered the set. How about the starting a campaign to get people to cancel their pre orders? That might push it so far back that this doesn't get released. I know it's optimistic thinking but anything is wrong with a try at this point

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:36 am

sangofe wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:57 am So it seems like it is indeed possible to cancel the pre orders of this set. And there's not that many people over the limit Funimation put up who have ordered the set. How about the starting a campaign to get people to cancel their pre orders? That might push it so far back that this doesn't get released. I know it's optimistic thinking but anything is wrong with a try at this point
FUNimation would have gotten the message if people didn't order but there's hardcore but not that hardcore fans who pre-ordered so they're getting it.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:39 am

JohnnyCashKami wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 4:36 am
sangofe wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:57 am So it seems like it is indeed possible to cancel the pre orders of this set. And there's not that many people over the limit Funimation put up who have ordered the set. How about the starting a campaign to get people to cancel their pre orders? That might push it so far back that this doesn't get released. I know it's optimistic thinking but anything is wrong with a try at this point

FUNimation would have gotten the message if people didn't order but there's hardcore but not that hardcore fans who pre-ordered so they're getting it.
So? If the total can be pushed back to under 3000, it's not getting produced. I don't see a reason to not try.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:16 am

How exactly do you propose to do that? Post more Twitter posts? Have people make more YouTube videos? Go to the local news station and ask them to broadcast the message? I honestly don't think there is much else anyone can do at this point. Even if it somehow did work, it would just reach 3000 again anyway. It is a Dragon Ball Z product after all. I don't think anybody reasonably believed we could prevent it from reaching 3000 in the first place. The idea was more to reason with FUNimation that this isn't what the hardcore fans want.

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:24 am

5 years later, Funimation releases a new DBZ blu-ray set and claims it fixes all the problems “hardcore” fans had with the 30th anniversary set. Footage is revealed, it has grain, colors look good, and then, 16:9. “They didn’t like the 4:3 release,” says a Funimation employee in a blog post. “So we reverted to an aspect ratio that sold.”
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

Tylerman29
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tylerman29 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:27 am

MajinMan wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:24 am 5 years later, Funimation releases a new DBZ blu-ray set and claims it fixes all the problems “hardcore” fans had with the 30th anniversary set. Footage is revealed, it has grain, colors look good, and then, 16:9. “They didn’t like the 4:3 release,” says a Funimation employee in a blog post. “So we reverted to an aspect ratio that sold.”
Exactly the reason I'm buying it. I'm not risking not getting another 4:3 release. With the way physical media is going, who knows how many more chances we will get.
DB, Z, and GT subbed are my "canon".
SSJ4 > Any transformation in Super.

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:31 am

Tylerman29 wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:27 am
MajinMan wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:24 am 5 years later, Funimation releases a new DBZ blu-ray set and claims it fixes all the problems “hardcore” fans had with the 30th anniversary set. Footage is revealed, it has grain, colors look good, and then, 16:9. “They didn’t like the 4:3 release,” says a Funimation employee in a blog post. “So we reverted to an aspect ratio that sold.”
Exactly the reason I'm buying it. I'm not risking not getting another 4:3 release. With the way physical media is going, who knows how many more chances we will get.
Maybe one day, 20 years from now, they’ll release the red-ray boxset with perfect 20K quality in 4:3. But the subs will have all dub names.
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

Char Aznable
Regular

Post by Char Aznable » Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:37 am

Tylerman29 wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:27 am
Same here. The remastering process could be much better (or nonexistent), but you are absolutely kidding yourself if you actually think that if this 3,000 goal failed, FUNimation would suddenly do an about-face and go 'Oh, well in that case we better do it right this time!' No, we would just see the 16:9 season sets on Blu-ray and DVD and be done with it for good. At least fans that want the show in 4:3 can get it without blowing away close to $1,000 on Dragon Boxes. If this also makes FUNimation produce their next inevitable release of the show in 4:3, I consider that a win.

HakkaiBills93
Banned

Post by HakkaiBills93 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:51 am

Funimation are pitiful and worst than them is all people buying this set.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:19 am

HakkaiBills93 wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:51 am Funimation are pitiful and worst than them is all people buying this set.
Yea, I'm getting to the point where I need to say, who cares if people buy this. It's not the end of the world. Does it suck? yea. But I'm tired of people bashing others who buy this because yes, there is a win in this set. It's 4:3, its a step in the right direction and was our biggest complaint since the orange bricks. They disregarded the survey and gave us Orange Bricks in HD, but they decided to give 4:3 a shot again! As negative as this thread has gotten (and the fact VegettoEX seems to approve of this behavior) I have now pre-ordered this because, like this set, I don't think the Dragon Boxes are all the great either (honestly the only plus for me is not DNR (but its SD) and has NEP. But they aren't worth, for me, to search out for deals or spend scalper prices (which is why I sold my set because I'd never complete it).
If your content on your Dragon Boxes (or even kai) and know FUNimation screws up something then I think we just need to accept we're never going to get the "definitive" set from them, and we all know they liking milking Z so this isnt the last release either. We're not getting a Level set remaster anytime soon, because FUNimation is cheap, and fans didn't support it (yes I know it came out in a saturated market, but everyone here is acting like this set was definitive back then and it wasn't because hardcore fans got the set they wanted, the Dragon Boxes).
Just wait for a proper release from someone else. There will always be something funi does or doesn't do or has or doesn't have that will keep it from perfect and I don't think TOEI will do a better job either. The Dragon Boxes were lazy attempt and set a standard that fans don't want color correction as every other remaster from them (aside Bardock) didn't get color corrected. Every episode had a different quality to it (see the eyecatch go from a faded gray on one episode to a weird yellow on the next). They were too lazy to fix the NEP order and don't get me started on those weird overblown episodes in Dragon Ball , or the fact we can't even get them in the US.
And to make it worse they now use DNR (they have higher quality footage so it will clearly look better than FUNimation). But comparing the moves from amazon vs the censored Bluray release, it did soften a lightly smear details and make the film look unnatural. So, unfortunately, you gotta take what you can take, or not take at all. But as of now, it sold, it's gonna get made. It's not selling as fast as one would expect (not sure of FUNi's expectations) but it reached the goal post and clearly, FUNi heard our voices and aren't budging on the DNR. Now I will state, I do not think this is the definitive release, but a step in the right direction. At the end of the day, it's a cartoon show. it is an important part of animation history and should be preserved. TOEI clearly could have scanned the whole series in HD in one go to preserve it but alas like FUNi, they are cheap. It could be also worse too. TOEI could be doing the same as this release (but worse *lack or any color correction on their masters) and not tell anyone until release day but charge the inflated Japanese market price. At least we know what we're getting.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:41 am

eledoremassis02 wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:19 am Yea, I'm getting to the point where I need to say, who cares if people buy this.
*I* care if people buy this because every single person that buys this is a literal vote of confidence against the artistic integrity of the show and future potential for a faithful one.

Every single word you've stated in your post here is "eeeeeehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh whatever." OK, well you can go buy whatever's already on store shelves then. Your apathy is actively working against the best interest of the show, and actively working against everything this website stands for. I can't even remotely imagine how you can possibly be surprised when people have a rather firm reaction to that.

I cannot abide the "better the devil I know" standpoint here. They have it. They can do it. They just won't. Demand better.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:47 am

I'm of the same thinking as VegettoEX on this thing, it's true that the set is in the correct 4:3 aspect ratio this time which is an improvement from the previous BD release and the Orange Bricks. That's no doubt a step up in of itself but the DNR and saturation just makes it look overly scrubbed and not even remotely close to the way it's supposed to be, and although the Dragon Boxes aren't absolutely perfect they still to me personally are the closest thing to the intended presentation so i am satisfied with them, and mostly that having to do with owning the best available (albeit standard definition) quality almost definitive release of the series in my collection.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

HakkaiBills93
Banned

Post by HakkaiBills93 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:07 am

eledoremassis02 wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:19 am
HakkaiBills93 wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:51 am Funimation are pitiful and worst than them is all people buying this set.
Yea, I'm getting to the point where I need to say, who cares if people buy this. It's not the end of the world. Does it suck? yea. But I'm tired of people bashing others who buy this because yes, there is a win in this set. It's 4:3, its a step in the right direction and was our biggest complaint since the orange bricks. They disregarded the survey and gave us Orange Bricks in HD, but they decided to give 4:3 a shot again! As negative as this thread has gotten (and the fact VegettoEX seems to approve of this behavior) I have now pre-ordered this because, like this set, I don't think the Dragon Boxes are all the great either (honestly the only plus for me is not DNR (but its SD) and has NEP. But they aren't worth, for me, to search out for deals or spend scalper prices (which is why I sold my set because I'd never complete it).
If your content on your Dragon Boxes (or even kai) and know FUNimation screws up something then I think we just need to accept we're never going to get the "definitive" set from them, and we all know they liking milking Z so this isnt the last release either. We're not getting a Level set remaster anytime soon, because FUNimation is cheap, and fans didn't support it (yes I know it came out in a saturated market, but everyone here is acting like this set was definitive back then and it wasn't because hardcore fans got the set they wanted, the Dragon Boxes).
Just wait for a proper release from someone else. There will always be something funi does or doesn't do or has or doesn't have that will keep it from perfect and I don't think TOEI will do a better job either. The Dragon Boxes were lazy attempt and set a standard that fans don't want color correction as every other remaster from them (aside Bardock) didn't get color corrected. Every episode had a different quality to it (see the eyecatch go from a faded gray on one episode to a weird yellow on the next). They were too lazy to fix the NEP order and don't get me started on those weird overblown episodes in Dragon Ball , or the fact we can't even get them in the US.
And to make it worse they now use DNR (they have higher quality footage so it will clearly look better than FUNimation). But comparing the moves from amazon vs the censored Bluray release, it did soften a lightly smear details and make the film look unnatural. So, unfortunately, you gotta take what you can take, or not take at all. But as of now, it sold, it's gonna get made. It's not selling as fast as one would expect (not sure of FUNi's expectations) but it reached the goal post and clearly, FUNi heard our voices and aren't budging on the DNR. Now I will state, I do not think this is the definitive release, but a step in the right direction. At the end of the day, it's a cartoon show. it is an important part of animation history and should be preserved. TOEI clearly could have scanned the whole series in HD in one go to preserve it but alas like FUNi, they are cheap. It could be also worse too. TOEI could be doing the same as this release (but worse *lack or any color correction on their masters) and not tell anyone until release day but charge the inflated Japanese market price. At least we know what we're getting.
why i am angry about people buying this crap is that people don't understand that the only way to get a nice version is to send funimation a message :
funimation know dragon ball will allways sold well, if people claim it's shit and don't buy it, funi wil have to release it like people expect to. that's how commercial stuffs are done, companies have to seduce custumers
but we are in the reverse situation like it is the case today, people buy it then funimation will receive the message " whatever crap you'll release, we'll buy it"

yes it's over cause now thanks to all people that preorder the shit, i can guarantee there's a 0% rate that Funimation will ever release a nice version of the show by themselves, the best that could happen is that Toei remaster the show and funi release it but don't expect it

Funimation already show after the levels sets cancellation, that they are totally irrespectful towards fan's opinion (4/3 vs 16/9, 4/3 win but fuck the fan, we staff like 16/9 so we'll release it 16/9) worst....people buyed the season sets
Now, they know what we expect, second Fuck You : staff members like massive crop and huge DNR, then fans will have to bear with it... and... 3000 preorder reach.

as much i can understand funimation trying to do low cost shit and almost forgive them cause a company have for only goal to make money , so if people buy low cost stuffs looking like shit, why would they bother doing high cost remaster or better one ?
but i can't forgive the "fake fans" (and i'll keep my word about that) that will buy this shit lowering their head and just take what the company give them

funimation don't like dragon ball, dragon ball is a product that they use to make lot of benefits, it's not a passion for them, it's business that's why i can forgive the company .

But YOU no matter what you can tried to explain, you are supposed to be a fan that want the best for dragon ball, if USA don't give you legally something nice, then download it , not supporting this fake HD remaster sold to the fans using illegal fake advertising to trick custumers anyways. if your boss give you fake money , you'll accept it too?

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:15 am

sangofe wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:39 amSo? If the total can be pushed back to under 3000, it's not getting produced. I don't see a reason to not try.
So, as I said a lot of them are hardcore but not that hardcore and they're happy with what they saw on the trailers. Some even say "amazing".

"Hardcore" fans won, hardcore fans lost.