Funimation's 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by KBABZ » Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:09 pm

The most significant point to VegettoEX's argument, IMO, has been FUNi taking full advantage of Kai to give their dub an authentic(ish) makeover (thus justifying Kai's existence in the process) and furthering this initiative through Super, the movies, and video games like FighterZ and Xenoverse. While they probably still aren't some people's first choices (see: Robo and the Ocean cast), I think they've made great strides in more authentically portraying the characters whilst still using the voices established on Toonami.

Personally, while I think Funimation as a whole is still pretty backwards, their VO department is pretty good right now.

Char Aznable
Regular

Post by Char Aznable » Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:11 pm

VegettoEX wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:02 pm To some degree, I get the "we've seen this all and I can't be moved to have emotions" kinda thing. I talked about that very thing on the most recent podcast episode. But as someone who's literally been here with FUNimation's DBZ since Day 2, I can't get behind Spoofer's "seen it, whatever, don't care, nothing will change, nothing ever does" standpoint. We HAVE gotten things that have been sufficient/good, and we HAVE seen positive changes in the way they've produced things over the years. Rolling over does nothing, whereas at least making very clear and pointed arguments has actually accomplished a few things.
What are your thoughts on using this product to at least slowly claw back 4:3 being the standard again for Z, as we all agree it should be? If this at least shows FUNi that a release in 4:3 will be purchased, maybe they bring out these 'remasters' as a budget release or even new standard for their streamed version like the Levels used to be, then it leads up to a more 'grainy' or faithful version down the line in 2020 or 2021, wouldn't that be considered a win? I just can't see that scenario being as unlikely as a lot of other people here think it is. Again, FUNi gave us the Dragon Boxes after the orange bricks, I can see that happening again now.

I guess my priority is killing 16:9 being the standard mainstream version for good, then worry about the DNRing later.

Spoofer

Post by Spoofer » Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:42 pm

Char Aznable wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:11 pm Again, FUNi gave us the Dragon Boxes after the orange bricks, I can see that happening again now.
I imagine Funi gave us the DBZ DBoxes merely because the work on the remaster had already been done by Toei, and so it was a relatively simple venture to capitalize upon in order to repackage/remarket the show once again, in the days when DBZ sold like crazy. And even then, they abandoned their supposed plans for the movies, DB, and GT DBoxes, and let the DBZ ones go OOP. Either all they cared about was the bottom dollar and not at all about giving DB fans what they actually wanted, or they thought the others would be too similar to their existing movie/DB/GT releases, which might insinuate that they were happy with their releases and thought they were just as good as Toei's (or better than, considering their love for DNR). You have to give Funi some credit for giving us the Z DBoxes at least, but I'm not sure we should be singing them high praises merely for porting over another company's competent efforts on the show and then cutting bait.

I did indeed respect their Level Set efforts, though I too felt the sting on those in terms of just recently collecting the DBoxes, and then having to make a decision between better video quality (albeit with some crushed colors), and a more comprehensive release featuring all the correct OPs/EDs/eyecatches/titlecards/NEPs. Funi did try hard on those, but then fell flat on their face due to poor market projection/marketing/timing. As dirty as I feel saying it, I was a little relieved when they bombed so I wouldn't have to rebuy the show all over again for the third or whatever time, especially when it was missing so much of what made the DBoxes great. And again, that was part of the reason why they failed.

As I've been pretty up front about, even though I too have been a DB fan since 96 or whenever, I'm not a fan of DB(/Z) exclusively, or as intensely as many here, so I don't have deeper knowledge beyond these releases and all the cropped/widescreen/DNR'd fiascos. What would be some examples of problems with Funi DB releases that were brought to their attention, that they then actually listened to their audience on and rectified/improved?
Last edited by Spoofer on Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:45 pm

KBABZ wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:09 pm The most significant point to VegettoEX's argument, IMO, has been FUNi taking full advantage of Kai to give their dub an authentic(ish) makeover (thus justifying Kai's existence in the process) and furthering this initiative through Super, the movies, and video games like FighterZ and Xenoverse. While they probably still aren't some people's first choices (see: Robo and the Ocean cast), I think they've made great strides in more authentically portraying the characters whilst still using the voices established on Toonami.

Personally, while I think Funimation as a whole is still pretty backwards, their VO department is pretty good right now.
True, their voice cast's work in the last decade or so has been really good with the things you mention plus One Piece and others, even with some misses here and there.
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:46 pm

Char Aznable wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:11 pm
VegettoEX wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:02 pm To some degree, I get the "we've seen this all and I can't be moved to have emotions" kinda thing. I talked about that very thing on the most recent podcast episode. But as someone who's literally been here with FUNimation's DBZ since Day 2, I can't get behind Spoofer's "seen it, whatever, don't care, nothing will change, nothing ever does" standpoint. We HAVE gotten things that have been sufficient/good, and we HAVE seen positive changes in the way they've produced things over the years. Rolling over does nothing, whereas at least making very clear and pointed arguments has actually accomplished a few things.
What are your thoughts on using this product to at least slowly claw back 4:3 being the standard again for Z, as we all agree it should be? If this at least shows FUNi that a release in 4:3 will be purchased, maybe they bring out these 'remasters' as a budget release or even new standard for their streamed version like the Levels used to be, then it leads up to a more 'grainy' or faithful version down the line in 2020 or 2021, wouldn't that be considered a win? I just can't see that scenario being as unlikely as a lot of other people here think it is. Again, FUNi gave us the Dragon Boxes after the orange bricks, I can see that happening again now.

I guess my priority is killing 16:9 being the standard mainstream version for good, then worry about the DNRing later.
I thinks so, maybe they are re evaluating things like that and have come to find that there is still a market out there for a version of the show with the correct aspect ratio after pushing cropped widescreen versions for the last decade plus.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:03 pm

VegettoEX wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:02 pm The only people who seem to be going hard on this "real fan" rhetoric and actually using those words are the people feeling defensive about purchasing this set and telling other people not to say it.

We ain't made pennies on any season set Blu-rays, but OK, yeah, those links were affiliate ones...? You... got me, I guess? There are also banner ads on the forum for discussions about the English dub, about Faulconer music, and so on and so forth. That this is even a conversation is... let's be honest and clear here, absolutely absurd.

To some degree, I get the "we've seen this all and I can't be moved to have emotions" kinda thing. I talked about that very thing on the most recent podcast episode. But as someone who's literally been here with FUNimation's DBZ since Day 2, I can't get behind Spoofer's "seen it, whatever, don't care, nothing will change, nothing ever does" standpoint. We HAVE gotten things that have been sufficient/good, and we HAVE seen positive changes in the way they've produced things over the years. Rolling over does nothing, whereas at least making very clear and pointed arguments has actually accomplished a few things.
What are these then?
JohnnyCashKami wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:15 am "Hardcore" fans won, hardcore fans lost.
HakkaiBills93 wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:51 am Funimation are pitiful and worst than them is all people buying this set.
It has gotten quieter here but a few pages back it got really bad and we have to be hard about it (the same was hard about the zooming in not being as bad as the DNR) because everyone is panicking over this set and I just don't see why.

Why is it absurd that you've clearly shown support for worse releases and now all of a sudden, the purchase of this particular set is a"literal vote of confidence against the artistic integrity of the show and future potential for a faithful one"? Why is it you cannot recommend this release but had no problem linking season Blu-rays which were a more inferior product? Do you, or have you, own(ed) any releases that damage the integrity of the show? Do you not consider FUNi going back to 4:3 any sort of win at all? I dont mean to keep calling you out but you're one of the only people to respond back to my posts and I appreciate that,

Facloner or the English dub is a non-issue because every release outside the VHS' had the Japanese dub as an option and the banner ads don't mean much because you didn't put them there in direct support of said releases (but through the forum in general).

Everyone acting like this is the last Dragon Ball Z set ever being made when there is no indication of then slowing (heck they are still putting Dragon Ball Super out on DVD) and I feel you agree with that to some point as well. I'm pretty sure they'd clearly add this being the final home video release of the show adding on to the fact that this set is limited to create a panic buy-out

Char Aznable
Regular

Post by Char Aznable » Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:23 pm

Spoofer wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:42 pm What would be some examples of problems with Funi DB releases that were brought to their attention, that they then actually listened to their audience on and rectified/improved?
While it's hard to say for sure because FUNi hadn't and probably never will admit it, one thing that comes to my mind are the blue and green bricks. The first GT set came out at the tail end of last one or two of the orange bricks, and I was surprised that without any fanfare it was in 4:3. Then shortly after, the first blue brick was also 4:3. With the Dragon Boxes and later the Levels, at the time I thought 16:9 Dragon Ball had come and gone until the season Blu-rays came around later.

I can only imagine that at least at the time, FUNi saw the backlash that came from cropping Z, and while it was too late to backtrack on those with an almost-finished release, they decided to make it right and keep the GT and Dragon Ball sets in 4:3, with some mild zooming to deal with any frame damage rather than a straight-up lazy widescreen crop. Then of course came the Levels, and we all know what happened there. If they had just released the Levels even a year later, they would've continued, and I think 16:9 Dragon Ball would be dead and buried for good.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:24 pm

It's unfortunate but it's not that big of a big deal. Just combine the Level Sets with the Dragon Box and you're good to go.

I doubt we'll ever see a complete, proper HD remaster of Dragon Ball Z because whether it's TOEI or FUNimation they both apply DNR. One more than the other, though.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:28 pm

Oh, Funimation... how can you be so incompetent when it comes to stuff like this?
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Tylerman29
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tylerman29 » Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:39 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:24 pm It's unfortunate but it's not that big of a big deal. Just combine the Level Sets with the Dragon Box and you're good to go.

I doubt we'll ever see a complete, proper HD remaster of Dragon Ball Z because whether it's TOEI or FUNimation they both apply DNR. One more than the other, though.
The problem is, that the level sets and dragon boxes are not realistic options if you don’t already have them. I feel like a lot of the sentiment in here would be different if some of you didn’t have the dragon boxes already. It is a big deal because look at whats out there to purchase TODAY. How many hardcore fans and collectors on here own most releases even the shitty ones..I’m willing to bet most owned at least the orange bricks or blu rays at one point. So the argument of buying this making you less of a fan, or not being in favor of a faithful remaster is complete shite. It’s more nuanced than that.
DB, Z, and GT subbed are my "canon".
SSJ4 > Any transformation in Super.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:12 pm

Spoofer wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:42 pm I imagine Funi gave us the DBZ DBoxes merely because the work on the remaster had already been done by Toei, and so it was a relatively simple venture to capitalize upon in order to repackage/remarket the show once again, in the days when DBZ sold like crazy.
I've always thrown the Dragon Boxes in the same category as Kai: since it was done by Toei, they didn't alter the product outside of the brightness adjustments, or even that they weren't ALLOWED to alter Toei's footage. Honestly I don't know why Funi released Dragon Box Z in the US, but I suspect that it was to play to the "legit hardcore" audience similar to the failed attempt with the Black Brick.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:27 am

Forte224 wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:16 am
sangofe wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:57 am So it seems like it is indeed possible to cancel the pre orders of this set. And there's not that many people over the limit Funimation put up who have ordered the set. How about the starting a campaign to get people to cancel their pre orders? That might push it so far back that this doesn't get released. I know it's optimistic thinking but anything is wrong with a try at this point
How exactly do you propose to do that? Post more Twitter posts? Have people make more YouTube videos? Go to the local news station and ask them to broadcast the message? I honestly don't think there is much else anyone can do at this point. Even if it somehow did work, it would just reach 3000 again anyway. It is a Dragon Ball Z product after all. I don't think anybody reasonably believed we could prevent it from reaching 3000 in the first place. The idea was more to reason with FUNimation that this isn't what the hardcore fans want.
Twitter or re-Twitter #cancelyourpreorder or something like that. I do not like that people give up before it's really over. That's why we'll never get what we want.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:29 am

JohnnyCashKami wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:15 am
sangofe wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 6:39 amSo? If the total can be pushed back to under 3000, it's not getting produced. I don't see a reason to not try.
So, as I said a lot of them are hardcore but not that hardcore and they're happy with what they saw on the trailers. Some even say "amazing".

"Hardcore" fans won, hardcore fans lost.
That's just you who has given up.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:40 am

Char Aznable wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:18 am I had a really long post typed out but in the end I've decided just to ask a question:

If the preorders for this set failed, would FUNimation actually see the complaints, go back to do it right, and try again? Or would they take it to mean nobody actually wants the series in 4:3, look what we tried to offer and they didn't want it, everybody loves it in 16:9? Which of these two scenarios was more likely going to happen?

I know what my answer is to that.
Well, the YouTube videos and emails people have sent should show Funimation that the only real option left if your first scenario. But people need to cancel their pre orders for that to happen, probably. I'm starting to think Funimation are too stubborn to do the release differently than what they've advertised now that I've calmed down. Besides, people who have ordered that want this would probably be unhappy if they get something else.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:55 am

sangofe wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:29 amThat's just you who has given up.
It's just the reality of the situation. The fans who ordered the 30th Blu-ray release are the same ones who bought the Orange Bricks and the Season Blu-rays.

Besides, FUNimation would never sell a high quality product for only $350. At least $500 or more.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:03 am

JohnnyCashKami wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:55 am
sangofe wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:29 amThat's just you who has given up.
It's just the reality of the situation. The fans who ordered the 30th Blu-ray release are the same ones who bought the Orange Bricks and the Season Blu-rays.

Besides, FUNimation would never sell a high quality product for only $350. At least $500 or more.
Yeah, the reality is that people who give up and spread their thoughts are contributing to making enough cancelations impossible. Why the need for doing that? Why not let people who care try? It's not over before the counter is up! Even if you don't want to make an effort, please stop trying to stop mine.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:20 am

sangofe wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 5:03 am Yeah, the reality is that people who give up and spread their thoughts are contributing to making enough cancelations impossible. Why the need for doing that? Why not let people who care try? It's not over before the counter is up! Even if you don't want to make an effort, please stop trying to stop mine.
Good luck with that. FUNimation has been hit with a lawsuit so a DBZ remaster is the least of their worries right now. Still, while I don't believe people will cancel their orders it would be great if they did because this is just the Season Sets in 4:3 AR.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:00 am

sangofe wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:27 am
sangofe wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:57 am So it seems like it is indeed possible to cancel the pre orders of this set. And there's not that many people over the limit Funimation put up who have ordered the set. How about the starting a campaign to get people to cancel their pre orders? That might push it so far back that this doesn't get released. I know it's optimistic thinking but anything is wrong with a try at this point
How exactly do you propose to do that? Post more Twitter posts? Have people make more YouTube videos? Go to the local news station and ask them to broadcast the message? I honestly don't think there is much else anyone can do at this point. Even if it somehow did work, it would just reach 3000 again anyway. It is a Dragon Ball Z product after all. I don't think anybody reasonably believed we could prevent it from reaching 3000 in the first place. The idea was more to reason with FUNimation that this isn't what the hardcore fans want.
Twitter or re-Twitter #cancelyourpreorder or something like that. I do not like that people give up before it's really over. That's why we'll never get what we want.
When a large majority are probably scalpers or collectors who just want a box on their shelf, I can't see it working. There comes a point where we have to accept that we have done all we can. And when I say all we can, I mean it. Sending out mass hashtags "or something like that" may give the illusion of continuing to fight it, but in reality the people that pre-ordered either already know and don't care enough about the issues to cancel, or don't follow this type of news and wouldn't see it anyway.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:46 am

Forte224 wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:00 am
When a large majority are probably scalpers or collectors who just want a box on their shelf, I can't see it working. There comes a point where we have to accept that we have done all we can. And when I say all we can, I mean it. Sending out mass hashtags "or something like that" may give the illusion of continuing to fight it, but in reality the people that pre-ordered either already know and don't care enough about the issues to cancel, or don't follow this type of news and wouldn't see it anyway.
Look, I'm not saying I have a receipe for not making this happen. But you know... You never change anything in life without trying. Plus several people in this thread have said they cancelled their pre orders.

What purpose does it serve to not try and put attempts of trying down? When the time is up it's time to accept whatever is. Before that : why not try? You never know if you get the love of your life without trying either. So please don't spend energy and time deciding things have already been settled.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:58 am

sangofe wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:46 am
Forte224 wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:00 am

Look, I'm not saying I have a receipe for not making this happen. But you know... You never change anything in life without trying. Plus several people in this thread have said they cancelled their pre orders.

What purpose does it serve to not try and put attempts of trying down? When the time is up it's time to accept whatever is. Before that : why not try? You never know if you get the love of your life without trying either. So please don't spend energy and time deciding things have already been settled.
I have tried. I sent 2 messages to FUNimation support, several replies to their 30th anniversary Tweet, a comment on the blog post, and several YouTube comments/tweets instructing others how best to send their complaints to FUNimation. I also didn't buy the product. A shallow and meaningless hashtag campaign telling people to cancel their pre-orders will do nothing if our previous campaign detailing the issues didn't.