Funimation's 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:30 am

eledoremassis02 wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:35 pm
JohnnyCashKami wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:23 pm
Shaddy wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:17 pm It's just about the same as the Orange Bricks, actually. It just has less gamma blowout and higher resolution.
Hm, it looks more like the Season Blu-rays. The OBs weren't smeared into a water paint style like the Season Blu-rays and the Black Brick.

If it weren't for the cropping, the OBs would have been pretty decent.
I think the later orange bricks looked pretty good, but the early ones were pretty bad
The later OBs looked really good but not as quite as it could have been, had they been in 4:3 AR everyone would be happy. Well, if the early seasons had looked like the later ones.

Season 9 on DVD is really good. I'd give it a 7.5/10.

The Season Blu-rays to me are inferior to the OBs. And the Black Brick set doesn't look that much of an improvement other than being in 4:3 AR. It technically looks better than its predecessor but eh, it's what it is.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 2:13 am

Extremely sorry if this is old but...

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2 ... al/.145971
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:50 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 2:13 am Extremely sorry if this is old but...

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2 ... al/.145971
Looks like its pretty new, and a confirmation of new bonus content. I wish someone recorded the panel cause I wanted to see what the fan reaction was and what exactly they had to say but it seems no one recorded (or at least uploaded it yet0

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:43 am

eledoremassis02 wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:50 am Looks like its pretty new, and a confirmation of new bonus content. I wish someone recorded the panel cause I wanted to see what the fan reaction was and what exactly they had to say but it seems no one recorded (or at least uploaded it yet0
Wouldn't it be great if "uncropped raw masters" was a bonus feature alternate angle?

gokaiblue
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by gokaiblue » Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:52 am

KBABZ wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:43 am
eledoremassis02 wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:50 am Looks like its pretty new, and a confirmation of new bonus content. I wish someone recorded the panel cause I wanted to see what the fan reaction was and what exactly they had to say but it seems no one recorded (or at least uploaded it yet0
Wouldn't it be great if "uncropped raw masters" was a bonus feature alternate angle?
If that was announced I'd pick it up in a heartbeat
Looking for these rare items/information:

Any information or recordings pertaining to Dragon Ball Z's syndicated run on WAWB
Any information regarding the stations that carried the origin Dragon Ball in the USA
Dragon Box (any deals would be nice)
Shonen Jumps with Dragon Ball in them

jaisonas
Beyond Newbie

Post by jaisonas » Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:55 am

That requires 3 times the bandwidth they're giving the episodes normaly. Highly doubt they'd do that
I enjoy tinkering with video and audio.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:56 am

That would be awesome. But I feel some of the dnring because you can fit more episodes per disc without blantant quality drop (the level sets did have some compression issues) the Batman TAS drned to do the same (tho they put too much on and those apperently have compression issues also)

I.hope its not.more interviews.. but archive stuff like the blt Dragon ball episode where goku was zero. And like the different promo stuff they used to see dragon ball to networks. Maybr some of the dragon box extras like the commercials

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:01 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:56 am I.hope its not.more interviews.. but archive stuff like the blt Dragon ball episode where goku was zero. And like the different promo stuff they used to see dragon ball to networks. Maybr some of the dragon box extras like the commercials
Agreed. As I've stated elsewhere, most BTS stuff isn't worthwhile because it's basically just promo stuff.

SqueakyBoots
Beyond Newbie

Post by SqueakyBoots » Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:24 pm

KBABZ wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:28 pm Hopefully this works:

https://cdn.knightlab.com/libs/juxtapos ... daf8f81e27
None of these links work for me either. They just load a blank page.
DHM211 wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:48 pm Season 8 Orange Brick for comparison:
That looks really good. It's like they turned off the dnr but kept the cropping.
eledoremassis02 wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 10:56 am That would be awesome. But I feel some of the dnring because you can fit more episodes per disc without blantant quality drop (the level sets did have some compression issues) the Batman TAS drned to do the same (tho they put too much on and those apperently have compression issues also)

I.hope its not.more interviews.. but archive stuff like the blt Dragon ball episode where goku was zero. And like the different promo stuff they used to see dragon ball to networks. Maybr some of the dragon box extras like the commercials
The level sets seemed to have eight or nine episodes per disc so you can have a reasonable amount of dnr-less episodes per disc without killing the quality. If they stuck to nine episodes per disc, it would take about 32 or 33 discs to cover the whole 291 episode series if my math is right. There'd even be four discs out of the 37 left over for the tv specials and movies if they wanted include those too. Or if nine episodes are too much, you can make it eight and still fit 36 discs.

99% chance the new bonus features will just be interviews with the dub cast and nothing else besides maybe creditless OP and EDs. That's how Funimation rolls with their bonus features from what I've seen. Would be great to get stuff like old archival footage or the Dragon Boxes' bonuses or even old Toonami promos but that's highly unlikely.

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:05 pm

I know I'm the minority here and I don't believe this would happen at all! But what if the bonus footage was Toonami promo's of Dragonball Z? I think that'd be a neat concept myself considering that's what got me started into the series and I'm grateful for it. I would classify myself as a ''hardcore fan'' whatever that means...LOL :lol: I've ordered waaaaaaay too many releases of Z alone when I really shouldn't have...I just like collecting anything about the series. My brother was actually joking and saying ''Yeaaaaaaaaaa you all are satisfied now..Until another release gets released'' LOL
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

bigray
Beyond Newbie

Post by bigray » Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:25 pm

Has anyone initiated the mass cancellation group? I only pre ordered because I was worried they would stop at 3000 and not make the rest available until later.

They really fucked up this "hardcore fans" release. And You can tell a non hardcore fan came up with it.

They included a big figure... Because the hardcore fans love figures coming with their DVDs!

Then they use DNR just like the hardcore fans I've been asking for the whole time!

In reality they could have used the cost of the figure to put more into the video remastering. Even if the figure cost them $10 to make, that's $60,000, 1 persons yearly wage to work on the remastering. Hell they could even increase the price to $370 and get an extra $120,000 to spend.

I feel like they have no reason to justify what theyve done. It's a one off release, there's no need to please the majority! Just make it good enough to sell 6000 copies. Even if 6000 people wanted Goku to have blue clothing, you're gonna make the sales so just do it! (Obviously our requests are much more reasonable) And it won't be a constant release like the orange bricks so who cares

A Man named RJ
Beyond Newbie

Post by A Man named RJ » Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:30 pm

At the risk of going slightly offtopic (but ontopic still) for a moment, Does anybody have a list of sources where I can read up on the shooting process for older shows and things like what kind of film they were shot on?

Like how I notice shows from 95 onward started going from bright and colorful to more muted, less grainy (still bright) looking animation (I'm thinking Hunter x Hunter 1999 compared to Yu Yu Hakusho) or 1996 Detective Conan compared to 2002 Detective Conan. with less grain and more clean art. Was that a change in the type of film? I'd love to look up more sources about this. I got the privilege of animating on cels recently, and now this topic has me invigorated. Thanks, guys.

This inquiry mostly applies to other series, more than Dragonball. IK kanzenshuu has a good wiki for this kind of thing related to it.
I am an Animator, Illustrator, and Voice Actor. Check out MY Animation Thesis! HERE

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:25 am

Cancelation attempt :
https://twitter.com/clutch1ns/status/11 ... 74432?s=20
bigray wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:25 pm Has anyone initiated the mass cancellation group? I only pre ordered because I was worried they would stop at 3000 and not make the rest available until later.

They really fucked up this "hardcore fans" release. And You can tell a non hardcore fan came up with it.

They included a big figure... Because the hardcore fans love figures coming with their DVDs!

Then they use DNR just like the hardcore fans I've been asking for the whole time!

In reality they could have used the cost of the figure to put more into the video remastering. Even if the figure cost them $10 to make, that's $60,000, 1 persons yearly wage to work on the remastering. Hell they could even increase the price to $370 and get an extra $120,000 to spend.

I feel like they have no reason to justify what theyve done. It's a one off release, there's no need to please the majority! Just make it good enough to sell 6000 copies. Even if 6000 people wanted Goku to have blue clothing, you're gonna make the sales so just do it! (Obviously our requests are much more reasonable) And it won't be a constant release like the orange bricks so who cares

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:48 am

sangofe wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:25 am Cancelation attempt :
bigray wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:25 pm Has anyone initiated the mass cancellation group? I only pre ordered because I was worried they would stop at 3000 and not make the rest available until later.

I'm not doing to cancel as I'm contempt with the release but really thinking about it, how much of an effect will this have? They flat out stated the set wouldn't get made if it didn't hit 3000. They already have a release on Bluray completed (Which is why I've been stating how this outrage should have happened with the Orange Brick and Season Blurays) so it's not like they're loosing much and the sales have seemed to slow down a lot. Why not go further and boycott buying anything from FUNimation (which I have done in the past). Yea, they keep screwing up Dragon Ball Z but perhaps the impact has to be deeper ala "We won't support FUNimation at all until you show Dragon Ball Z the respect it deserves"

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:52 am

To be frank, the figure doesn't look that great to me. It would have been better to have something like this...

No idea how much that statue goes for but very likely a pretty expensive Zeni. :P

But hey, it's only $350 in its entirety so can't expect much of a high quality release. Had the Level Sets all been released (18 in total) it would have cost far more than this ($630.00 +/-). I'd have happily bought all 18 Blu-rays but who's stupid idea at FUNimation was it to release JUST after the final Dragon Box Z Vol. 7 came out?! Terrible timing.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:25 am

JohnnyCashKami wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:52 am
But hey, it's only $350 in its entirety so can't expect much of a high quality release. Had the Level Sets all been released (18 in total) it would have cost far more than this ($630.00 +/-). I'd have happily bought all 18 Blu-rays but who's stupid idea at FUNimation was it to release JUST after the final Dragon Box Z Vol. 7 came out?! Terrible timing.
The Dragon Box does appear to be a true "exclusive" experience as it's missing the U.S score and has the NEP previews niche fans in the US wanted.

Season 9 Orange Brick: May 19, 2009
Dragon Box One: November 17, 2009
Dragon Box SevenOctober 11, 2011
Level 1.1: November 8, 2011

The Dragon Boxes were close to both releases, so one could potentially make the argument about the reason to even bring the Dragon Boxes over here when by that point Bluray was already inevitable. Or you could ask yourself, why bother bringing Z to Blu-ray at all as they had Kai. Since the level sets were adveritised as the "North American" version, Id assume it was their way of making a "everyman's" dragon box and we were lucky to even get those and them not going straight to the Season Blurays.

But I think it's obvious, they want a steady cash flow of Dragon ball Z because people buy them. Look in the collection thread alone and you see people that own multiple releases.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:29 am

eledoremassis02 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:25 amThe Dragon Box does appear to be a true "exclusive" experience as it's missing the U.S score and has the NEP previews niche fans in the US wanted.

The Dragon Boxes were close to both releases, so one could potentially make the argument about the reason to even bring the Dragon Boxes over here when by that point Bluray was already inevitable. Or you could ask yourself, why bother bringing Z to Blu-ray at all as they had Kai. Since the level sets were adveritised as the "North American" version, Id assume it was their way of making a "everyman's" dragon box and we were lucky to even get those and them not going straight to the Season Blurays.

But I think it's obvious, they want a steady cash flow of Dragon ball Z because people buy them. Look in the collection thread alone and you see people that own multiple releases.
The OBs and Season Blu-rays have really nice packaging but I'm not one to waste money on a trash release just because the outside looks good, it matters more the inside, its content.

If only FUNimation had released the OBs in 4:3 AR and with the PQ the later "seasons" had, most would be satisfied with the OBs 'cause the later sets look really good.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:38 am

JohnnyCashKami wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:29 am
eledoremassis02 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:25 amThe Dragon Box does appear to be a true "exclusive" experience as it's missing the U.S score and has the NEP previews niche fans in the US wanted.

The OBs and Season Blu-rays have really nice packaging but I'm not one to waste money on a trash release just because the outside looks good, it matters more the inside, its content.

If only FUNimation had released the OBs in 4:3 AR and with the PQ the later "seasons" had, most would be satisfied with the OBs 'cause the later sets look really good.
Turning something that is 4:3 to 16:9 is basically today's pan and scan. Most people back then didnt care a film was cropped to 4:3 as long as they got to see the movie. I think this idea is what the basic Dragon Ball Z fan has, and lets face it, to a lot of these fans it's background noise anyway.
I think the problem is that "most" (basic fans) were satisfied. The number of these DBZ fans are a lot larger than we care to conceive (and it was a Dragon Ball Z theme noodle restaurant can be such a success) and that has to have some sort of impression on FUNimation to reneg on the 4x3 survey to backtrack and go back to cropping. This is what got me thinking about the idea of just not buying anything from FUNimation in general until they start treating DBZ right.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:59 am

eledoremassis02 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:48 am

I'm not doing to cancel as I'm contempt with the release but really thinking about it, how much of an effect will this have? They flat out stated the set wouldn't get made if it didn't hit 3000. They already have a release on Bluray completed (Which is why I've been stating how this outrage should have happened with the Orange Brick and Season Blurays) so it's not like they're loosing much and the sales have seemed to slow down a lot. Why not go further and boycott buying anything from FUNimation (which I have done in the past). Yea, they keep screwing up Dragon Ball Z but perhaps the impact has to be deeper ala "We won't support FUNimation at all until you show Dragon Ball Z the respect it deserves"
A total boycott would surely be effective, yeah, but they have a really big anime catalogue so that's not gonna happen.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:05 am

sangofe wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:59 am
eledoremassis02 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:48 am

A total boycott would surely be effective, yeah, but they have a really big anime catalogue so that's not gonna happen.
Basically, just buy used if you really have to have something (gotta have some patience) the used market it really detrimental to the entertainment industry. If you can get a bunch of people to cancel + the ones who refuse to buy the set outright, you never know. Just tossing ideas around