Funimation's 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:54 pm

SpiritBombTriumphant wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:19 pm
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Also cool touch with using my captures for the comparison there on the link. :D
I just wanted an easy way to compare and framecompare is the gold standard for that. Just want everyone to see how things used to be nice until Funimation got fucking retarded.
I know, ain't that the truth. :lol:
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Vegard Aune
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Vegard Aune » Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:22 am

SpiritBombTriumphant wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:57 pmEven Toei didn't screw up like that when they cropped the image for Kai.
Toei actually moved elements of the image around in their version. Look at Dende and Piccolo, they have been moved up in their respective frames. So yeah. For all the things Toei messed up with TFC, for this one moment they actually put in the effort to make it work in 16:9. Whereas FUNi just lazily cropped the thing.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:12 am

Hm, there seems to be a potential market in Japan for the Season Sets on Blu-ray by FUNimation.

Japanese Amazon Review

Amazon Review Translated w/ Google Translate

Source: Amazon Japan

Yeah.. Google Translate didn't do a very good job but "I also feel that the image is a wide screen and that the power is stronger." and "The picture is really beautiful." kinda says it all that's needed.

So, it makes you wonder why TOEI hasn't decided to publish them in Japan. We [fans] prefer it in its original aspect ratio but the casuals don't mind it being cropped to 16:9 AR and going by the success of the 30th Anniversary Blu-ray set, those who pre-ordered it like how the Season Sets look but now in 4:3 AR.

At the end of the day they're just business companies and we either buy or we don't. FUNimation reckons hardcore fans want the series DNR'd to death as it reached the 3000 goal.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:25 am

@JohnnyCashKami That would honestly surprise me if Toei actually did import those crap fake widescreen, DNR smear fests but i really don't see them doing so anytime soon, i mean they already have a widescreen version of the series out there in Kai 1.0 and TFC/2.0 (albeit with 1.0's widescreen only being on the single DVD's) so perhaps they just don't feel the need to. Also, why would they bring over an obviously inferior quality release when they can just as easily make their own HD version with their great quality first generation film materials?
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:43 am

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:25 am @JohnnyCashKami That would honestly surprise me if Toei actually did import those crap fake widescreen, DNR smear fests but i really don't see them doing so anytime soon, i mean they already have a widescreen version of the series out there in Kai 1.0 and TFC/2.0 (albeit with 1.0's widescreen only being on the single DVD's) so perhaps they just don't feel the need to. Also, why would they bring over an obviously inferior quality release when they can just as easily make their own HD version with their great quality first generation film materials?
They really could make an amazing remaster of DB, DBZ and DBGT but TOEI has shown to cut corners in making cheap HD transfers.

Well, just look at this that popped on another website:

Dragon Ball Kai [Blu-ray]

Dragon Ball Z [HD Promo Scan]

Sort of wish I'd never seen this because Kai now looks like a really mediocre transfer at best. :| If only FUNimation had finished the Level Sets. :(

You can try to sharpen Kai but it will never look as good.

Char Aznable
Regular

Post by Char Aznable » Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:18 am

I mean promo scans are just that, promo scans. It wouldn't be possible to do something like that bar rescanning each individual cel from scratch, which obviously isn't possible anymore.

...which reminds me, I definitely want to get my hands on an original cel one of these days, it would be the crown jewel of my anime/gaming collection.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:29 am

Char Aznable wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:18 am ...which reminds me, I definitely want to get my hands on an original cel one of these days, it would be the crown jewel of my anime/gaming collection.
I've always wanted one of Kid Goku on the Nimbus.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:41 am

JohnnyCashKami wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:43 am
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:25 am @JohnnyCashKami That would honestly surprise me if Toei actually did import those crap fake widescreen, DNR smear fests but i really don't see them doing so anytime soon, i mean they already have a widescreen version of the series out there in Kai 1.0 and TFC/2.0 (albeit with 1.0's widescreen only being on the single DVD's) so perhaps they just don't feel the need to. Also, why would they bring over an obviously inferior quality release when they can just as easily make their own HD version with their great quality first generation film materials?
They really could make an amazing remaster of DB, DBZ and DBGT but TOEI has shown to cut corners in making cheap HD transfers.

Well, just look at this that popped on another website:

Sort of wish I'd never seen this because Kai now looks like a really mediocre transfer at best. :| If only FUNimation had finished the Level Sets. :(

Kai's always been soft. I feel like I need glasses when I watch it lol. But they do have pretty good colors

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:54 am

eledoremassis02 wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:41 amKai's always been soft. I feel like I need glasses when I watch it lol. But they do have pretty good colors
True. But the thing is, I never realized just how soft Kai was until I saw this.

Feels like I was cheated out of a proper DBZ HD remaster. This doesn't look very modern or detailed but hey, looks way better than any of FUNimation remasters.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:10 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:54 am
eledoremassis02 wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:41 amKai's always been soft. I feel like I need glasses when I watch it lol. But they do have pretty good colors
True. But the thing is, I never realized just how soft Kai was until I saw this.

Feels like I was cheated out of a proper DBZ HD remaster. This doesn't look very modern or detailed but hey, looks way better than any of FUNimation remasters.
I dont know, I think if FUNi had the same softness (they do like their sharpen feature) people would go nuts. I think they're equally as bad for different reasons

DrBriefsCat
Beyond Newbie

Post by DrBriefsCat » Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:03 pm

Char Aznable wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:18 am I mean promo scans are just that, promo scans. It wouldn't be possible to do something like that bar rescanning each individual cel from scratch, which obviously isn't possible anymore.
Yes, considering how the series was photographed in 16mm it's never going to look as sharp as a promo image would on a modern display.

IAmTheMilkMan
Beyond Newbie

Post by IAmTheMilkMan » Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:30 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:43 am They really could make an amazing remaster of DB, DBZ and DBGT but TOEI has shown to cut corners in making cheap HD transfers.

That's really not a fair comparison. Matter of fact, I'd be hard pressed to call it a comparison at all. Cell is intentionally out of focus in Kai's shot, much like Goku is intentionally out of focus here just a few seconds prior:

It's called a "rack focus" and was intentional. That "HD Promo Scan" looks like a separate shot entirely, or maybe just the animation cel elements slightly rearranged and without the rack focus.

Whoever made that comparison either didn't know what they were doing, or did know and was deliberately trying to mislead people in an effort to make Kai's remastering look worse than it actually is. Kai is soft, we know this, but it's not that soft. That "HD Promo Scan" looks like a cel scan, of course it's going to look brilliant.
aka TheMilkmanConspiracy on IFDB
aka WhereIsTheMilkman elsewhere

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:23 pm

IAmTheMilkMan wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:30 pm
JohnnyCashKami wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:43 am They really could make an amazing remaster of DB, DBZ and DBGT but TOEI has shown to cut corners in making cheap HD transfers.

That's really not a fair comparison. Matter of fact, I'd be hard pressed to call it a comparison at all. Cell is intentionally out of focus in Kai's shot, much like Goku is intentionally out of focus here just a few seconds prior:

It's called a "rack focus" and was intentional. That "HD Promo Scan" looks like a separate shot entirely, or maybe just the animation cel elements slightly rearranged and without the rack focus.

Whoever made that comparison either didn't know what they were doing, or did know and was deliberately trying to mislead people in an effort to make Kai's remastering look worse than it actually is. Kai is soft, we know this, but it's not that soft. That "HD Promo Scan" looks like a cel scan, of course it's going to look brilliant.
Not to mention his screenshot itself seems to be quite poor.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sat Apr 27, 2019 2:16 am

I was about to say the same as you Milkman, but when I went back and did the comparison it looked just as fuzzy. While it does rack focus, it doesn't do it enough to put either Goku or Cell properly in focus.

I do agree with the base point, though. Comparing film stills to promotional scans of animation cels is a VERY unfair comparison.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Sat Apr 27, 2019 2:48 am

Might be unfair but if we had the series properly remastered with the likes of Level Sets in its entirety then that'd be it, imo. Promo HD Scans would still look better but most wouldn't care.

It sure isn't looking like DBZ will ever be correctly remastered. Sigh.

FUNimation = Heavy DNR
TOEI = Moderate DNR & Green Tint

How about this: Don't DNR or apply green tint to it, eh? :problem:

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:03 am

Can't edit my previous post above so anyway, below you see a before and after comparison. This was done by the Spaniard distributor Selecta Visión and as anyone can see, they hardly changed anything on the "remastered" version which I'm glad because it's left nearly untouched.

FUNimation could do a similar release with small improvements and call it a day but they think we love DBZ all DNR'd up. :thumbdown:

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:52 am

JohnnyCashKami wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 2:48 am Might be unfair but if we had the series properly remastered with the likes of Level Sets in its entirety then that'd be it, imo. Promo HD Scans would still look better but most wouldn't care.
The problem is that you can't bring out what isn't there. The promo scans were done at a much higher resolution than the scans used to make the masters, so it's physically impossible to make them that good, unless you decide to buy up all of the animation cells, restore them, and then rescan them ALL. That would cost hundreds of millions of dollars.

We all think the Black Brick is underwhelming and wish the classic content were treated with more rescpect, but it's important to keep realistic expectations. IMO, you're asking the impossible by saying the series could look like the promo scans.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:55 am

KBABZ wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 5:52 am
JohnnyCashKami wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 2:48 am Might be unfair but if we had the series properly remastered with the likes of Level Sets in its entirety then that'd be it, imo. Promo HD Scans would still look better but most wouldn't care.
The problem is that you can't bring out what isn't there. The promo scans were done at a much higher resolution than the scans used to make the masters, so it's physically impossible to make them that good, unless you decide to buy up all of the animation cells, restore them, and then rescan them ALL. That would cost hundreds of millions of dollars.

We all think the Black Brick is underwhelming and wish the classic content were treated with more rescpect, but it's important to keep realistic expectations. IMO, you're asking the impossible by saying the series could look like the promo scans.
I know it can't look that good but realistically expecting it to have Level Sets' quality shouldn't be asking too much. Charge $500 or $700 if you will, I'll buy it.

SuperSaiyanPan
Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperSaiyanPan » Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:29 am

I know it's mostly known at this point ( I think anyway) but the day FUNimation announced this I emailed support with questions about the audio options and I finally got an answer.
Thank you for contacting Funimation Support and for your interest in the 30th Anniversary Dragon Ball Z set!

There will be two English audio tracks for this release, depending on which version of the show you are watching.

The US Broadcast version features Mark Menza's music for episodes 1-67 and Bruce Faulconer's music for episodes 68 through the end of the series.

The Uncut version uses the Japanese music, though the audio is otherwise dubbed.

Please let us know if this doesn't resolve your issue or answer your question.

Thank You!
Dillon
Funimation Support

SuperSaiyanPan
Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperSaiyanPan » Wed May 01, 2019 1:10 am

Sorry for the double post but due to the site corruption I can't avoid it.

Someone on the /r/DBZ subreddit posted this from FUNimation Support
Hello (Name),

Thank you for contacting Funimation Support and for your interest in the 30thAnniversary Dragon Ball Z set!

In regards to the music content, there will be two English audio tracks for this release, depending on which version of the show you are watching.

The US Broadcast version features Mark Menza’s music for episodes 1-67 and Bruce Faulconer’s music for episodes 68 through the end of the series.

The Uncut version uses the Japanese music, though the audio is otherwise dubbed.

In regards to the Japanese title cards, the episodes will not include the original Japanese title cards nor will they include next episode previews.

This set will have all of the extras that were included with the Dragon Ball Z nine season BluRay sets.There will also be an additional feature created just for this release.

This includes:
-Textless Opening Song
-Textless Closing Song
-Inside Dragon Ball Z: Interview with Christopher R. Sabato
-Inside Dragon Ball Z: Interview with Sean Schemmel
-Justin Cook Shares His Headshot Collection
-Textless Opening Song
-Textless Closing Song
-Inside Dragon Ball Z: Interview with Gen Fukunaga
-Inside Dragon Ball Z: Interview with John Burgmeier
-Look Back at the Hummer Tour: With Sonny Strait
-Textless Opening Song
-Textless Closing Song
-Inside Dragon Ball Z: Interview with Matthew O'Hara
-Inside Dragon Ball Z: Interview with Daniel Mancilla
-From the Vault: Goku vs. Vegeta Featurette
-From the Vault: The World of Dragon Ball Z
-Textless Opening Song
-Textless Closing Song
-Inside Dragon Ball Z: Interview with Sonny Strait
-Inside Dragon Ball Z: Interview with Meredith McCoy
-Toei Tour: Raw Footage
-Textless Opening Song
-Textless Closing Song
-Inside Dragon Ball Z: Interview with Eric Vale
-Inside Dragon Ball Z: Interview with Cynthia Cranz
-Dragon Ball Z TriviaoInside Dragon Ball Z: Interview with Justin Cook
-Inside Dragon Ball Z: Interview with Nathanael Harrison
-Dragon Ball Z Card Game: Past, Present and Future
-Textless Opening Song
-Textless Closing Song
-Inside Dragon Ball Z: Interview with Kyle Hebert
-Inside Dragon Ball Z: Interview with Kara Edwards
-Dragon Ball Z: Coming to America
-Textless Opening Song
-Textless Closing Song
-Textless Opening Song
-Textless Closing Song
-Inside Dragon Ball Z: Interview with Josh Martin
-Inside Dragon Ball Z: Interview with Chris Rager
-From East to West: Dragon Ball Z's Epic Journey
-A Completely Serious Discussion About the Comedy of Dragon Ball Z

Please let us know if this doesn’t resolve your issue or answer your question.

Thank You!
I wonder why they keep saying Mark Menza is doing the music for the first 67 when in fact it's Nathan Johnson. FUNimation Support has said this incorrect bit of information at least three times.