Funimation's 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Mon May 06, 2019 2:23 pm

Forte224 wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 2:18 pm
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 2:12 pm
Forte224 wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 2:07 pm Oh, the counter just dropped to 0 units remaining and it now says Sold Out. So that's it, then. Close to 4600 people bought the set (although a lot of those are probably scalpers since you can order up to 5), which is a pretty meager number in the grand scheme of things. Hopefully FUNi translates that as disdain for the image quality and not as disdain for proper 4:3.
I mean the fact that they went back to 4:3 is surprising in of itself, considering just how much they pushed and justified the widescreen cropping on the previous releases. I think the Q&A that Kanzenshuu did back in 2013/2014 for the Season BD's was very telling, especially the way that they tried their hardest to explain what their reasoning (or lack thereof) was.

https://www.kanzenshuu.com/2013/12/31/f ... questions/
Yeah but their original post about the 30th set, and the blog post, make it sound like they still feel 16:9 is the cuurent standard for DBZ and 4:3 is just for hardcore fans.

From the 30th anniversary page:
We understand that many fans are perfectly happy with their home video releases of Dragon Ball Z that were previously created and that’s cool with us!
From the blog post:
Our previous Blu-ray releases for Dragon Ball Z were cropped to 16:9 to match modern standard sensibilities that have evolved over the years as widescreen has become more adopted, but for this particular project, we wanted to release the series in 4:3 for the more hardcore subset of DBZ fans who want to experience the series with higher integrity.
But now that FUNimation anniversary trailer uses 4:3 footage from the Black Brick set, so who really knows how they feel? Either way, DNR appears to be a mainstay for their releases.
I had thought that releasing this in 4:3 means they are slowly but surely moving away from their "It must be cropped to widescreen" mindset but who knows what they are really thinking. I hope this is a sign for future releases that they will stick with the proper 4:3 going forward.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Mon May 06, 2019 2:29 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 2:23 pm
I had thought that releasing this in 4:3 means they are slowly but surely moving away from their "It must be cropped to widescreen" mindset but who knows what they are really thinking. I hope this is a sign for future releases that they will stick with the proper 4:3 going forward.
Yeah, I mean DBZ is literally the only 4:3 show that they have ever released in 16:9, so their justifications always seemed pretty shortsighted.

I do wonder if we will see these new Blu-rays released in retail without the extras. The image quality is a mild (very mild) improvement over the 2013 Blu-rays and the 4:3 outside of episode 1 appears to be very similar to the Dragon Box. Releasing something this poor for the 30th anniversary is a huge slap in the face, but I do wonder how I would feel about these if I saw them at Best Buy or something and they were 9 separate releases at $15-$25 a pop.

SqueakyBoots
Beyond Newbie

Post by SqueakyBoots » Mon May 06, 2019 2:30 pm

The Reservation Period is over so, what happens next?

All cards will be charged, and orders will be processed. Orders that cannot be fully processed will be canceled and you will not receive a set.

A notification of shipment will be sent out sometime before the end of the year when the set is ready.
Well okay. I guess that's it until they start shipping them out at the end of the year.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Mon May 06, 2019 2:37 pm

Forte224 wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 2:29 pm
Yeah, I mean DBZ is literally the only 4:3 show that they have ever released in 16:9, so their justifications always seemed pretty shortsighted.

I do wonder if we will see these new Blu-rays released in retail without the extras. The image quality is a mild (very mild) improvement over the 2013 Blu-rays and the 4:3 outside of episode 1 appears to be very similar to the Dragon Box. Releasing something this poor for the 30th anniversary is a huge slap in the face, but I do wonder how I would feel about these if I saw them at Best Buy or something and they were 9 separate releases at $15-$25 a pop.
I mean it could, although that's assuming these new versions do eventually get separate releases in stores then even potentially replace the season BD's which aren't the new thing anymore. We don't know where they are going to go in terms of these new versions, though of course i obviously have no reason or need to get it when i already have the Dragon Boxes as my definitive way for owning the series.
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Mon May 06, 2019 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SuperSaiyanPan
Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperSaiyanPan » Mon May 06, 2019 2:42 pm

but I do wonder how I would feel about these if I saw them at Best Buy or something and they were 9 separate releases at $15-$25 a pop.

I feel like they won't do that because this is a collectors edition but if they did I think they might hike the prices a bit as opposed to the Super Series volumes. Maybe 49 a pop or even I could see it a little higher.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Mon May 06, 2019 3:02 pm

SuperSaiyanPan wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 2:42 pm
but I do wonder how I would feel about these if I saw them at Best Buy or something and they were 9 separate releases at $15-$25 a pop.

I feel like they won't do that because this is a collectors edition but if they did I think they might hike the prices a bit as opposed to the Super Series volumes. Maybe 49 a pop or even I could see it a little higher.
I don't know why they would do that. It wouldn't make any sense. It wouldn't be consistent with their other Blu-ray releases at all. Especially since that would add up to near $450, $100 more than the collector's set.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Mon May 06, 2019 3:14 pm

Forte224 wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 3:02 pm

I don't know why they would do that. It wouldn't make any sense. It wouldn't be consistent with their other Blu-ray releases at all. Especially since that would add up to near $450, $100 more than the collector's set.
Same here, that's just too high priced if FUNi eventually does release these in stores. I really don't see them doing that.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Mon May 06, 2019 3:22 pm

"Collector's Edition"

They threw in a black box, an art book and a statue and then bam! It's a "Collector's Edition" item. This is just the Season Sets slightly improved and in 4:3 AR.

The show being in 4:3 AR does not make it premium, it's the intended aspect ratio but FUNimation has claimed DBZ's intended aspect ratio is 16:9 AR. :lol:

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Mon May 06, 2019 3:34 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 3:22 pm

"Collector's Edition"

They threw in a black box, an art book and a statue and then bam! It's a "Collector's Edition" item. This is just the Season Sets slightly improved and in 4:3 AR.

The show being in 4:3 AR does not make it premium, it's the intended aspect ratio but FUNimation has claimed DBZ's intended aspect ratio is 16:9 AR. :lol:
Yeah, they also said that the Orange Bricks were the "ultimate and definitive editions of Dragon Ball Z." :lol:

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Mon May 06, 2019 3:44 pm

Well, this thread has served its purpose and has started to just turn into an echo chamber and isn't interesting anymore. It's mainly just turned into people trying to be funny by making the same jokes over and over about FUNimation.

For someone that (for some reason) wasn't active on internet forums for the Orange Bricks or the 2013 Blu-rays, it certainly has been sporadically interesting to see all this happen in real time and see people's reactions and disappointments, my own included. We tried, and it seems we have been ignored. Anyway, I think I'll just bow out and fade into obscurity now. It's been...fun?

LettuceJUMP
Beyond Newbie

Post by LettuceJUMP » Mon May 06, 2019 5:43 pm

Sent a respectful email to Funimation over a week ago. Basically stating that I am disappointed that these releases are heavily DNR'd and cropped more than necessary. How I plan on buying them because I refused to purchase the orange bricks or season Blu-ray sets and watch a Dragon Ball Z series cropped to 16:9. I am still hopeful it won't be overly saturated and DNR'd but what evidence do I have. I have decided to purchase the dragon box sets on ebay, although expensive because it is the only way to get the series in 4:3 dubbed outside of Kai. Just wish it was in HD. An HD Dragon Box would be the perfect set. I know what I"m saying is beating a dead horse...but here is Funimation's response.

Hello,

Thank you for contacting Funimation Support and for your interest in the 30th Anniversary Dragon Ball Z set!

The remastering process for creating the Dragon Ball Z 30th Anniversary Collector’s Edition is not the same as the process used to create the canceled Dragon Ball Z Level Sets.

Please let us know if this doesn’t resolve your issue or answer your question.

Thank You!
Aaron

Funimation Support

SIGH...oh well. Maybe in 5 years

Char Aznable
Regular

Post by Char Aznable » Tue May 07, 2019 10:21 am

I would love to see that. If by some magic in a year these would totally replace the season sets in stores as the new budget release, that would be a dream. It would get DBZ home releases somewhat back on the right track.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Tue May 07, 2019 11:04 am

Char Aznable wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 10:21 am

I would love to see that. If by some magic in a year these would totally replace the season sets in stores as the new budget release, that would be a dream. It would get DBZ home releases somewhat back on the right track.
It would remain something we should endlessly and mercilessly criticise.

Having said that, improvement is improvement, and that should be hoped/pushed for, and if granted, then celebrated.

But never stop taking Funi to task for the numerous deep flaws in this crappy release.

However... If you ask me, an ideal budget release would just use the Dragon Box masters but with both dub tracks included this time around (much as the US score is scorned by some of the more hardcore fans, a mass release really does have to include it).
Throw them on Blu-ray in standard def, fit like 25 episodes on a disc, and package them up into six two-disc sets of about 50 episodes each. Minimal shelf space required, they can use standard Blu-ray cases, you'd only need to manufacture 12 discs for 291 episodes, Funi already has masters prepared for the DBox with Japanese audio, subs, and the 5.1+Kikuchi dub track, so they're already most of the way there...
It'd be a perfect budget release.
Charge $15-25 a pop, and you have the most cost-effective DBZ release there's ever been, arguably the best one there's ever been, and it opens up the possibility of them doing the same kind of thing with DB and GT.
People like me who simply can't afford to drop the ridiculous amount of money a show like this tends to cost even if we didn't hate the releases would finally be able to actually buy the show, hardcore fans who''ve held off on buying the crappy releases would finally get behind it, etc. etc.

Funi would never do this, but if they did, I'd finally be happy with them, I'd buy the show, and I'd actually be able to encourage others to do so as well.
And it would be much more easily imported than previous standard-def releases, since PAL regions wouldn't have to deal with NTSC>PAL conversion; PAL Blu-rays support standard-def NTSC video.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

The Jackal
Not-So-Newbie

Post by The Jackal » Tue May 07, 2019 11:44 am

Forte224 wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 3:44 pm Well, this thread has served its purpose and has started to just turn into an echo chamber and isn't interesting anymore. It's mainly just turned into people trying to be funny by making the same jokes over and over about FUNimation.
Funimation deserve all the hate, come on now. They pushed out the Orange Bricks and have been shitting out awful home releases since; this was their chance to at least somewhat make up for that, and they cocked that up as well.

I've said before and I'll say it again: they need their distribution rights revoked. This company is crap, and that's all they know how to release.

ect5150
Advanced Regular

Post by ect5150 » Tue May 07, 2019 12:00 pm

The Jackal wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 11:44 am Funimation deserve all the hate, come on now. They pushed out the Orange Bricks and have been shitting out awful home releases since; this was their chance to at least somewhat make up for that, and they cocked that up as well.

I've said before and I'll say it again: they need their distribution rights revoked. This company is crap, and that's all they know how to release.
Yes, they do deserve any criticism we can throw their way (provided it's legit... and we can spot plenty of legit issues).

Others on the forum point out that it seems to be only DBZ that goes through this shit. FUNI doesn't give other series and films this sort of treatment. It may just be a select group of people in FUNI (the DBZ team) that is making these bad decisions. I'm speculating at this point though. But it seems to me it's coming from a select few in the company compared to the entire company.
ect5150
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.
DB DBox color corrections & DBox color corrections.

TheMajinRedComet
Patreon Supporter

Post by TheMajinRedComet » Tue May 07, 2019 12:26 pm

I'm pretty sure DBZ is the only anime that they actually have the film materials of. So it's really the only series they can fiddle with this way because they have the film reel instead of a digital file or a beta from the other distributor.
Hiei: "So tell me - what's it like living in a constant haze of Stupidity?"
Hiei: "I know as much about games as I do puppies and huggs....Wake me up for the end of world"
Welcome to Super Vegeta's Big Bang Attack.... Welcome to Oblivion!!!
Remember "When things get weird, skip the last saga"-Chris Sabat

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Tue May 07, 2019 12:40 pm

There's only a handful of releases of theirs for the show that aren't tampered with to such an extent which are the original bilingual single discs, the UUE which was sadly cancelled before completion, the Dragon Boxes and Level sets which too were prematurely axed because they got lost in the shuffle of the blitz of other DB releases including Kai that was still coming out at the same time. Otherwise, everything else has been cropped widescreen blown out garbage and they seem to not be able to break themselves from doing it over and over again.

DBZ is the only one where FUNi has film materials for with which to do these types of things, compared to the original DB series and GT where they only have standard definition digibeta/video masters.
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Tue May 07, 2019 1:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.

jaisonas
Beyond Newbie

Post by jaisonas » Tue May 07, 2019 12:50 pm

TheMajinRedComet wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 12:26 pm I'm pretty sure DBZ is the only anime that they actually have the film materials of. So it's really the only series they can fiddle with this way because they have the film reel instead of a digital file or a beta from the other distributor.
DBZ is one of the few old popular anime that hasnt got a proper bluray release yet
FTFY.
I enjoy tinkering with video and audio.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Tue May 07, 2019 12:52 pm

jaisonas wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 12:50 pm
TheMajinRedComet wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 12:26 pm I'm pretty sure DBZ is the only anime that they actually have the film materials of. So it's really the only series they can fiddle with this way because they have the film reel instead of a digital file or a beta from the other distributor.
DBZ is one of the few old popular anime that hasnt got a proper bluray release yet
FTFY.
Saint Seiya, Slam Dunk and I'm sure many more haven't either.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Tue May 07, 2019 1:03 pm

sangofe wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 12:52 pmSaint Seiya, Slam Dunk and I'm sure many more haven't either.
I read that Saint Seiya had a remaster similar to Dragon Ball Kai by Q-TEC but it still looks like an upgrade.

Source: Mubis