Funimation's 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheMajinRedComet
Patreon Supporter

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by TheMajinRedComet » Tue May 07, 2019 2:42 pm

In general there are very few examples of a long running weekly anime series from the pre digital era that have been remastered for blu ray in Japan. Seasonal shows like gundam have been remastered but nothing of the hundreds of episodes variety. The only ones I can think of are yu yu hakusho and Ranma.
Hiei: "So tell me - what's it like living in a constant haze of Stupidity?"
Hiei: "I know as much about games as I do puppies and huggs....Wake me up for the end of world"
Welcome to Super Vegeta's Big Bang Attack.... Welcome to Oblivion!!!
Remember "When things get weird, skip the last saga"-Chris Sabat

Shounen
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shounen » Tue May 07, 2019 5:25 pm

TheMajinRedComet wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 2:42 pm The only ones I can think of are yu yu hakusho and Ranma.
Urusei Yatsura (195 eps), Yawara (124 eps), Maison Ikkoku (96 eps) and many Toei series which remasters unfortunately are not good.

SuperSaiyanPan
Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperSaiyanPan » Wed May 08, 2019 1:52 am

New comparison shots from my Ultimate Uncut Editions compared to the 30th Box Set. It looks like the crop from these aren't too far apart but some have bigger differences.

http://www.framecompare.com/image-compa ... n/EFCJNNNU Crowd Shot
http://www.framecompare.com/image-compa ... n/EF2CNNNU Goku & Gohan
http://www.framecompare.com/image-compa ... n/EF2MNNNU Farmer
http://www.framecompare.com/image-compa ... n/GKPPNNNX Radditz

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Wed May 08, 2019 3:18 am

JohnnyCashKami wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 1:03 pm
sangofe wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 12:52 pmSaint Seiya, Slam Dunk and I'm sure many more haven't either.
I read that Saint Seiya had a remaster similar to Dragon Ball Kai by Q-TEC but it still looks like an upgrade.

Source: Mubis
I'm pretty sure it's an SD upscale. That's what I've read anyway.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Wed May 08, 2019 3:19 am

Shounen wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 5:25 pm
TheMajinRedComet wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 2:42 pm The only ones I can think of are yu yu hakusho and Ranma.
Urusei Yatsura (195 eps), Yawara (124 eps), Maison Ikkoku (96 eps) and many Toei series which remasters unfortunately are not good.
Uy, Yawara and Maison are all good.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Wed May 08, 2019 10:21 am

sangofe wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 3:18 amI'm pretty sure it's an SD upscale. That's what I've read anyway.
I read that too but actually seeing it compared to the DVD version, it's clearly an upgrade and in high definition.

People years ago and even now say that Kai is a "SD Upscale" because it doesn't look as good as it could but it really is in high definition.

ect5150
Advanced Regular

Post by ect5150 » Wed May 08, 2019 10:19 pm

TheMajinRedComet wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 2:42 pm In general there are very few examples of a long running weekly anime series from the pre digital era that have been remastered for blu ray in Japan. Seasonal shows like gundam have been remastered but nothing of the hundreds of episodes variety. The only ones I can think of are yu yu hakusho and Ranma.
The only other series I really care for other than DB is Ranma. Those Ranma BluRays are a godsend. If we could get DB, DBZ and DBGT done like those sets, everyone's head on these forums would explode. Every episode, every special and every movie done next to perfect.
ect5150
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.
DB DBox color corrections & DBox color corrections.

Android 50
Beyond Newbie

Post by Android 50 » Thu May 09, 2019 3:12 am

TheMajinRedComet wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 2:42 pm In general there are very few examples of a long running weekly anime series from the pre digital era that have been remastered for blu ray in Japan. Seasonal shows like gundam have been remastered but nothing of the hundreds of episodes variety. The only ones I can think of are yu yu hakusho and Ranma.
Yea not even Rerouni Kenshin or the 1999 Hunter X Hunter anime have blu ray releases in Japan. Even combined with the OVAs 1999 HxH has less episodes than Yu Yu Hakusho. Hajime no Ippo's first series which was 75-76 episodes doesn't have one either. I guess its just not something that's commonly done sadly since I'd love to see Ippo or 1999 HxH in proper blu ray quality.
Maron is stacked!!

jaisonas
Beyond Newbie

Post by jaisonas » Thu May 09, 2019 5:03 am

HxH1999 probably doesnt have the rights to get released into bluray, after madhouse did their adaptation. But yea just for Matsushima's episodes, i'd love to see a good bluray of that.

I always found it weird how runouni kenshin never got a bluray, besides the glorious ovas
I enjoy tinkering with video and audio.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Thu May 09, 2019 5:29 am

Can someone clarify this that FUNimation keeps repeating:
The US Broadcast version features Mark Menza’s music for episodes 1-67 and Bruce Faulconer’s music for episodes 68 through the end of the series.
We know the early US music was composed by Nathan Johnson and then the later one by Faulconer Productions but Mark Menza also plays a part, this is because he was the one who made the US rock opening (people generally think Faulconer made it).

Also, most of us were told and read the cover of the Canadian Z score was composed by Shuki Levy but was it really? No. Ron Wasserman composed it.

By the way, can someone tell me who really made the score for Inspector Gadget? Was it Ron Wasserman too (the music sounded sort of similar imo) and dud Shuki Levy ever composed music?

Kussa Mahehi is Haim Saban who too is credited for making the Canadian Z score. Christ, what a mess Saban and FUNimation made.

Plague-Memories
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Plague-Memories » Thu May 09, 2019 8:06 am

But do we know anything about subtitles on this release yet? Are they going to spell it "Frieza" again? :lol:

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Thu May 09, 2019 9:10 am

Plague-Memories wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 8:06 am But do we know anything about subtitles on this release yet? Are they going to spell it "Frieza" again? :lol:
Well, that applies to the Super Broly movie English releases but it's entirely possible TOEI would demand the dub names to now be used on the subtitles as a whole.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Thu May 09, 2019 9:16 am

JohnnyCashKami wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 9:10 am
Plague-Memories wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 8:06 am But do we know anything about subtitles on this release yet? Are they going to spell it "Frieza" again? :lol:
Well, that applies to the Super Broly movie English releases but it's entirely possible TOEI would demand the dub names to now be used on the subtitles as a whole.
So basically have it like how the very first bilingual DVDs were which was the two Captain Ginyu volumes that FUNi put out back in 2000 which had a similar thing, as in for some reason they had the names and terms from the dub inserted instead of the proper Japanese translations though i believe it was only those suffering from that then it was subsequently addressed and corrected for all future releases after that point.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Android 50
Beyond Newbie

Post by Android 50 » Thu May 09, 2019 8:30 pm

jaisonas wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 5:03 am HxH1999 probably doesnt have the rights to get released into bluray, after madhouse did their adaptation. But yea just for Matsushima's episodes, i'd love to see a good bluray of that.

I always found it weird how runouni kenshin never got a bluray, besides the glorious ovas
Matsushima was a beast on both adaptations of Kenshin and 99' HxH.

Is Madhouse doing the recent adaptation what's holding back a blu ray release of the 1999 series? The copyright stuff is always confusing for me. Then again its also possible the studio that did the 1999 HxH never had any intention of giving it a blu ray transfer. Nippon Animation pretty much did nothing with the series after 2004.

Even if its not possible for 99' HxH series its still a damn shame that Kenshin's TV series doesn't have any blu ray releases either. Would love to rewatch the Kyoto arc in proper blu ray quality.

I guess in that regard Toei doesn't want to put in the effort for something as long as DBZ. I know they put Kai on blu ray but Z regular ep count is like twice that amount.
Maron is stacked!!

HakkaiBills93
Banned

Post by HakkaiBills93 » Sat May 11, 2019 4:52 am

sangofe wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 3:18 am
JohnnyCashKami wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 1:03 pm
sangofe wrote: Tue May 07, 2019 12:52 pmSaint Seiya, Slam Dunk and I'm sure many more haven't either.
I read that Saint Seiya had a remaster similar to Dragon Ball Kai by Q-TEC but it still looks like an upgrade.

Source: Mubis
I'm pretty sure it's an SD upscale. That's what I've read anyway.
it is an upscale with DNR and aggressive sharpening filter so using the word "remaster" is too big for this shit, only movies got a proper HD scans

HakkaiBills93
Banned

Post by HakkaiBills93 » Sun May 12, 2019 5:07 pm

attack no 1 (1970) which has 104 episodes has a remaster
Oishinbo (1988) a 130 episodes anime has a HD remaster
Mazinger Z (1932), 92 episodes has a HD remaster
Legend of the Galactic Heroes (1988) as 110+ episodes and got a HD remaster

i"ll also add hokuto no ken that was not released in Bluray but last box is an HD remaster released SD
city hunter that is 140 episodes and are currently released on bluray (season 1 already released, s2, 3 aired on tv)
urusei yatsura 195ep + movies +ova
maison ikkoku 96 ep +ova etc

there is plenty of long series from this era so please don't talk like if you did deep research about that and don't spread wrong facts

Vegard Aune
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Vegard Aune » Mon May 13, 2019 7:54 am

HakkaiBills93 wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 5:07 pm

i"ll also add hokuto no ken that was not released in Bluray but last box is an HD remaster released SD
city hunter that is 140 episodes and are currently released on bluray (season 1 already released, s2, 3 aired on tv)

there is plenty of long series from this era so please don't talk like if you did deep research about that and don't spread wrong facts
You mentioned eight shows. Produced over a period of like 70 years. That very much falls within "very few examples".

thejeremymenace
Beyond Newbie

Post by thejeremymenace » Mon May 13, 2019 10:24 am

HakkaiBills93 wrote: Sun May 12, 2019 5:07 pm

Worth noting that the LOGH Blu-ray is an upscale of the DVD remaster. It's also a disaster worse than DB Kai with redrawn cuts, as well as multiple scenes with characters and foreground elements cut out of the shot and recomposited over new backgrounds.
デデーン
Twitter: @gravitypriest
Dragon Radar ~ Subtitles for the Dragon Box Thread | Download | Source
Dragon Ball dialogue bot @dbz_ebooks | Thread | Source

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Mon May 13, 2019 2:14 pm

SHOCKING interview about the sets! https://youtu.be/hAx1FUaKe0c

(Disclaimer: Actually a dumb meme. :P )
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Mon May 13, 2019 4:24 pm

jjgp1112 wrote: Mon May 13, 2019 2:14 pm SHOCKING interview about the sets! https://youtu.be/hAx1FUaKe0c

(Disclaimer: Actually a dumb meme. :P )
As soon as I read your post I guessed it was that meme. :lol:

I remember there being a Street Fighter 5 version of that video when that game first came out.