Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
Tylerman29
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 127
Joined: Tue May 23, 2017 7:43 pm
Location: Texas

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by Tylerman29 » Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:54 pm

Kinokima wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:13 pm
I had some of the Singles on DVD from back when They were first released but I only collected random volumes with episodes I really loved back then so I certainly don’t have them all.

I have been randomly buying some more as I find deals on EBAY. I actually have found good deals on them. But it’s not the whole series since the early part of the series was never released that way. But since I can’t have anything better I enjoy watching the series this way the best.

Sadly I missed out on the Dragon Boxes. It is sad that the crappy Orange Boxes became the standard we have to accept as fans. And any “better release” is extremely limited or expensive. The worse part is this Anniversary Collection is a disappointment too.
I'd say the season blu rays have pretty much replaced the orange bricks as the standard mainstream release, and they aren't the worst things ever.

User avatar
Scsigs
I Live Here
Posts: 2368
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:55 am
Location: NY, USA
Contact:

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by Scsigs » Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:00 am

Tylerman29 wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:54 pm
I'd say the season blu-rays have pretty much replaced the orange bricks as the standard mainstream release, and they aren't the worst things ever.
I mean, not really. If they replaced the Orange Bricks, then FUNi would take them out of circulation & replace them with DVD versions of the BR masters. They're still in print, so, obviously, SOMEONE'S buying them to justify keeping that shit still in print after 12 years since they first came out.

In terms of, "the worst things ever," you're probably right, but it's more of what they represent that, I think, gets people. FUNi had a GLORIOUS opportunity to right the wrongs of the Orange Bricks by giving us a clean remaster in 4:3 on Blu-Ray, which is all fans were asking for since the Levels came out, & set the standard for DB & GT to get the same treatment, but they deliberately chose not to & we've seen the people behind the scene's hand in how they specifically choose to market DB as a product. They're absolutely cynical, have no hearts, & are extremely tone deaf as to what they've been doing & turn a blind eye to what people tell them to correct on future stuff. Are the DBZ BRs the worst home media release of anything? No, I can probably think of more botched releases. BUT, they represent FUNimation at their most corporate level. I can take them still using Vic Mignogna's audio still in the dub of Episode of Sabo, since it's perfectly good to use, they didn't wanna spend any more money localizing it than they already did, & they weren't planning on firing Vic, nor do they actually care about his allegations, but circumstances forced their hands, so I have to accept that & I do (sorry to bring this up here, but this is the only other current corporate example from this company that I can think of at the moment). The BRs, however, were a calculated release that didn't fix a lot of the problems below a few of the surface level problems. It's corporate, it's obvious, & it's pathetic. When they actually treat fans of Z with a modicum of respect, only then will this shit be sorted out. Not before, though.

As for me, I prefer to watch Kai in lieu of actually being able to get my hands on some GOOD DBZ DVDs or BRs. That's an actual remaster that had some time, thought, & energy put into it (before TFC, but that's at least still watchable thanks to the new dub & cleaned up picture) & less filler! But, yeah.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.

The epic tale of how Sean Schemmel blocked me on Twitter:
I tagged him in a thread explaining how his performance wasn't rerecorded when FUNi were redoing parts of the early Z dub for the Orange Bricks.
He thought I was misrepresenting his work by saying he wasn't in something he was in.
I explained how that wasn't the situation & did a bit of a sarcastic kinda thing involving the rerecordings FUNi did for the Z dub to show how stupid that was.
He said they didn't record him & not use his recordings.
Blocked & he deleted his response tweets to me.
???
Profit...?

Um...Listen to Waterparks.
That is all.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs

bigray
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 228
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:23 pm

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by bigray » Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:13 am

someone got their hands on a figure! could be fake, no toei sticker

User avatar
Tylerman29
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 127
Joined: Tue May 23, 2017 7:43 pm
Location: Texas

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by Tylerman29 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:41 am

Scsigs wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:00 am

I mean, not really. If they replaced the Orange Bricks, then FUNi would take them out of circulation & replace them with DVD versions of the BR masters. They're still in print, so, obviously, SOMEONE'S buying them to justify keeping that shit still in print after 12 years since they first came out.
Guess I didn't articulate that well..I just mean the Blu-rays are like the go-to mainstream release I would tell people to get if they want to cheaply own the series. I wouldn't ever bring up the Orange Bricks in the conversation of what home release to get at this point. Unless they didn't have a blu ray player for whatever reason.

Yeah, Kai is my go-to for the Dubbed version of the series. I just want all of original Z for nostalgia trips , OG Japanese, and the bits of good filler. Sometimes Kai's redraws take me out of the show. The "softer" look of Kai is also something that I'm not a huge fan of.
bigray wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:13 am
someone got their hands on a figure! could be fake, no toei sticker
I saw that too, maybe he has connections at FUNi? Also I saw scalpers putting the 30th set pre order on Ebay anywhere from $1000 to $1600..that's just nuts!

User avatar
SuperSaiyaManZ94
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1149
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:01 pm
Location: Alabama

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:35 pm

Scsigs wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:00 am
Tylerman29 wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:54 pm
I'd say the season blu-rays have pretty much replaced the orange bricks as the standard mainstream release, and they aren't the worst things ever.
I mean, not really. If they replaced the Orange Bricks, then FUNi would take them out of circulation & replace them with DVD versions of the BR masters. They're still in print, so, obviously, SOMEONE'S buying them to justify keeping that shit still in print after 12 years since they first came out.

In terms of, "the worst things ever," you're probably right, but it's more of what they represent that, I think, gets people. FUNi had a GLORIOUS opportunity to right the wrongs of the Orange Bricks by giving us a clean remaster in 4:3 on Blu-Ray, which is all fans were asking for since the Levels came out, & set the standard for DB & GT to get the same treatment, but they deliberately chose not to & we've seen the people behind the scene's hand in how they specifically choose to market DB as a product. They're absolutely cynical, have no hearts, & are extremely tone deaf as to what they've been doing & turn a blind eye to what people tell them to correct on future stuff. Are the DBZ BRs the worst home media release of anything? No, I can probably think of more botched releases. BUT, they represent FUNimation at their most corporate level. I can take them still using Vic Mignogna's audio still in the dub of Episode of Sabo, since it's perfectly good to use, they didn't wanna spend any more money localizing it than they already did, & they weren't planning on firing Vic, nor do they actually care about his allegations, but circumstances forced their hands, so I have to accept that & I do (sorry to bring this up here, but this is the only other current corporate example from this company that I can think of at the moment). The BRs, however, were a calculated release that didn't fix a lot of the problems below a few of the surface level problems. It's corporate, it's obvious, & it's pathetic. When they actually treat fans of Z with a modicum of respect, only then will this shit be sorted out. Not before, though.

As for me, I prefer to watch Kai in lieu of actually being able to get my hands on some GOOD DBZ DVDs or BRs. That's an actual remaster that had some time, thought, & energy put into it (before TFC, but that's at least still watchable thanks to the new dub & cleaned up picture) & less filler! But, yeah.
That's the thing which really sucks, in that FUNi for some deliberate reason does not want to put out a release of Z that respects the show for what it is. No... to them it's all about polishing and making it look like a new thing and doing so as cheaply as possible as we have seen with the Orange Bricks and Season BD's, so they apparently don't care about actually doing it right or putting in any degree of effort. That's the thing which disappoints me most, because they've greatly improved in a lot of ways over the past 20+ years primarily in terms of their dubbing and script writing. Home releases on the other hand.... that seems to be the area within their license they seem to drop the ball on almost every time. That we've gotten even a few remotely good releases (Dragon Box, cancelled Levels) is frankly a miracle considering how bad most of the rest have been, and the 30th Anniversary set is just the cherry on top of their misguided mindset which mostly applies to Z. Seriously, it really is a shame that they don't give the series ha good BD release that caters to both sides of the aisle and becomes the true definitive release.

That is why i have been gradually collecting the Dragon Boxes over time, because i just simply can't put faith in FUNimation to get it right especially after this most recent letdown.

User avatar
KBABZ
I Live Here
Posts: 3971
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:38 pm
Location: The tallest tower in West City

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by KBABZ » Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:17 pm

Scsigs wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:00 am
Tylerman29 wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 10:54 pm
I'd say the season blu-rays have pretty much replaced the orange bricks as the standard mainstream release, and they aren't the worst things ever.
I mean, not really. If they replaced the Orange Bricks, then FUNi would take them out of circulation & replace them with DVD versions of the BR masters. They're still in print, so, obviously, SOMEONE'S buying them to justify keeping that shit still in print after 12 years since they first came out.
Not only that, but remember that at least one store was putting out 30th slipcases for them!

User avatar
Scsigs
I Live Here
Posts: 2368
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:55 am
Location: NY, USA
Contact:

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by Scsigs » Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:46 am

KBABZ wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:17 pm
Not only that, but remember that at least one store was putting out 30th slipcases for them!
Yep. You'd think they'd do something else than just a repackage, but why spend a little money on LIMITED EDITION $350 sets, of which you could then later release cheaper standalone sets with the same masters, when you can just be CHEAP!?! If the masters were already GOOD, I'd understand, but they aren't, so it's awful.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.

The epic tale of how Sean Schemmel blocked me on Twitter:
I tagged him in a thread explaining how his performance wasn't rerecorded when FUNi were redoing parts of the early Z dub for the Orange Bricks.
He thought I was misrepresenting his work by saying he wasn't in something he was in.
I explained how that wasn't the situation & did a bit of a sarcastic kinda thing involving the rerecordings FUNi did for the Z dub to show how stupid that was.
He said they didn't record him & not use his recordings.
Blocked & he deleted his response tweets to me.
???
Profit...?

Um...Listen to Waterparks.
That is all.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs

Dragon Ball Ireland
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1639
Joined: Thu May 21, 2015 9:09 am
Location: Kildare, Ireland

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:32 am

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:35 pm
That's the thing which really sucks, in that FUNi for some deliberate reason does not want to put out a release of Z that respects the show for what it is. No... to them it's all about polishing and making it look like a new thing and doing so as cheaply as possible as we have seen with the Orange Bricks and Season BD's, so they apparently don't care about actually doing it right or putting in any degree of effort.
I think VegettoEX put it well in the podcast discussing this release saying that Funimation can weaponize the aspect ratio while ignoring all the other mistakes they've repeated with this set, and just as easily wag it in the fans' faces "you wanted 4:3 but it didn't sell enough copies". It's a shrewd business mindset but unfortunately one that Funimation can get away with when this series sells so well for them. They know that like with the orange bricks and season Blu-Rays that came before it there are fans whom this set will be "good enough" for, and others who will buy it out of fear it will go out of print and nothing better will get released. Inevitably in both cases the demand for a perfect 4:3 release will become even smaller, which is the worst part of all this because it's the 30th god damn anniversary and probably the best time Funimation will ever get to right the wrongs of the past, although sadly even TOEI backing Funimation don't seem to care enough to put any real effort in themselves.
Selling
- Arrival DVD single
- Betrayal DVD single

Looking For
- Showdown DVD single
- Madman Level 1.1

If interested PM with offers

User avatar
Android 50
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 105
Joined: Wed May 19, 2010 9:59 pm

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by Android 50 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:29 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:32 am
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:35 pm
That's the thing which really sucks, in that FUNi for some deliberate reason does not want to put out a release of Z that respects the show for what it is. No... to them it's all about polishing and making it look like a new thing and doing so as cheaply as possible as we have seen with the Orange Bricks and Season BD's, so they apparently don't care about actually doing it right or putting in any degree of effort.
I think VegettoEX put it well in the podcast discussing this release saying that Funimation can weaponize the aspect ratio while ignoring all the other mistakes they've repeated with this set, and just as easily wag it in the fans' faces "you wanted 4:3 but it didn't sell enough copies". It's a shrewd business mindset but unfortunately one that Funimation can get away with when this series sells so well for them. They know that like with the orange bricks and season Blu-Rays that came before it there are fans whom this set will be "good enough" for, and others who will buy it out of fear it will go out of print and nothing better will get released. Inevitably in both cases the demand for a perfect 4:3 release will become even smaller, which is the worst part of all this because it's the 30th god damn anniversary and probably the best time Funimation will ever get to right the wrongs of the past, although sadly even TOEI backing Funimation don't seem to care enough to put any real effort in themselves.
Its sad how Toei has already released Sailor Moon on blu ray a few years ago but still won't bother to release the DBZ TV series on there so people have to make do with Funimation's crappy transfer attempts.
Maron is stacked!!

User avatar
TheMajinRedComet
Regular
Posts: 514
Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2005 8:56 pm
Location: Space

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by TheMajinRedComet » Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:03 am

It seems like there is a arbitrary episode amount that toei just wont cross when considering a blu ray release. If they wont even release One Piece on bluray I cant see them releasing Dragonball.
Hiei: "So tell me - what's it like living in a constant haze of Stupidity?"
Hiei: "I know as much about games as I do puppies and huggs....Wake me up for the end of world"
Welcome to Super Vegeta's Big Bang Attack.... Welcome to Oblivion!!!
Remember "When things get weird, skip the last saga"-Chris Sabat

User avatar
sangofe
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6406
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2004 3:39 pm

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by sangofe » Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:09 pm

TheMajinRedComet wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:03 am
It seems like there is a arbitrary episode amount that toei just wont cross when considering a blu ray release. If they wont even release One Piece on bluray I cant see them releasing Dragonball.
One Piece is longer, though.

User avatar
SuperSaiyaManZ94
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1149
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:01 pm
Location: Alabama

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:27 pm

sangofe wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 1:09 pm
TheMajinRedComet wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:03 am
It seems like there is a arbitrary episode amount that toei just wont cross when considering a blu ray release. If they wont even release One Piece on bluray I cant see them releasing Dragonball.
One Piece is longer, though.
It's been running just about 20 years and has several hundreds of episodes in total, about just over 900 something as of now give or take. FUNi's releases as of last year have gotten up to the time skip arc with the Straw Hats reuniting before starting their journey into the New World.

User avatar
thejeremymenace
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 108
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:58 pm

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by thejeremymenace » Wed Oct 02, 2019 2:23 pm

Android 50 wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 7:29 am
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:32 am
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 12:35 pm
That's the thing which really sucks, in that FUNi for some deliberate reason does not want to put out a release of Z that respects the show for what it is. No... to them it's all about polishing and making it look like a new thing and doing so as cheaply as possible as we have seen with the Orange Bricks and Season BD's, so they apparently don't care about actually doing it right or putting in any degree of effort.
I think VegettoEX put it well in the podcast discussing this release saying that Funimation can weaponize the aspect ratio while ignoring all the other mistakes they've repeated with this set, and just as easily wag it in the fans' faces "you wanted 4:3 but it didn't sell enough copies". It's a shrewd business mindset but unfortunately one that Funimation can get away with when this series sells so well for them. They know that like with the orange bricks and season Blu-Rays that came before it there are fans whom this set will be "good enough" for, and others who will buy it out of fear it will go out of print and nothing better will get released. Inevitably in both cases the demand for a perfect 4:3 release will become even smaller, which is the worst part of all this because it's the 30th god damn anniversary and probably the best time Funimation will ever get to right the wrongs of the past, although sadly even TOEI backing Funimation don't seem to care enough to put any real effort in themselves.
Its sad how Toei has already released Sailor Moon on blu ray a few years ago but still won't bother to release the DBZ TV series on there so people have to make do with Funimation's crappy transfer attempts.
FWIW, Toei's Sailor Moon release was a DVD upscale.
デデーン
Twitter: @gravitypriest
Dragon Radar ~ Subtitles for the Dragon Box Thread | Download | Source
Dragon Ball dialogue bot @dbz_ebooks | Thread | Source

User avatar
Scsigs
I Live Here
Posts: 2368
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:55 am
Location: NY, USA
Contact:

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by Scsigs » Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:11 pm

TheMajinRedComet wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:03 am
It seems like there is a arbitrary episode amount that toei just wont cross when considering a blu ray release. If they wont even release One Piece on bluray I cant see them releasing Dragonball.
Um, One Piece HAS been released on BR in Japan, hasn't it? After episode 206, they started producing the show in HD, so all they have to do is author BR discs. I don't know if they've released the first 206 episodes on BR, but I can't imagine that'd be hard to do. Dragon Ball doesn't readily have HD masters that Toei can just transfer form an external hard drive to a computer to author on BR discs. They only have SD masters & masters that...haven't exactly aged great (talking about the DBox masters). They're watchable, but by 2003 standards. For them to create HD masters, they'd need to scan their film masters into a computer & have a team painstakingly go through frame by friggin' frame, which takes time, patience, & money to do, to clean up the images, do color correction, & other things to make the show look pristine, which is one of the biggest reasons why FUNi outright refuses to actually do this. They tried & got great results, but the timing was AWFUL on their parts & the money wasn't great as a result. Toei also exists in Japan, whose economy also drives company decisions like that since things can be & are EXPENSIVE over there. So, I'm not surprised they've only remastered the older movies & specials so far. Less money, less risk. Also more time to make sure the work can be done. Especially since they've fixed animation errors. The only bad things about the remasters are some minor censorships that make no sense, especially since the streaming versions don't have them, & some inconsistent remastering quality, but they're still good.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.

The epic tale of how Sean Schemmel blocked me on Twitter:
I tagged him in a thread explaining how his performance wasn't rerecorded when FUNi were redoing parts of the early Z dub for the Orange Bricks.
He thought I was misrepresenting his work by saying he wasn't in something he was in.
I explained how that wasn't the situation & did a bit of a sarcastic kinda thing involving the rerecordings FUNi did for the Z dub to show how stupid that was.
He said they didn't record him & not use his recordings.
Blocked & he deleted his response tweets to me.
???
Profit...?

Um...Listen to Waterparks.
That is all.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs

Dragon Ball Ireland
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1639
Joined: Thu May 21, 2015 9:09 am
Location: Kildare, Ireland

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:37 pm

Scsigs wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:11 pm
TheMajinRedComet wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:03 am
It seems like there is a arbitrary episode amount that toei just wont cross when considering a blu ray release. If they wont even release One Piece on bluray I cant see them releasing Dragonball.
Um, One Piece HAS been released on BR in Japan, hasn't it? After episode 206, they started producing the show in HD, so all they have to do is author BR discs. I don't know if they've released the first 206 episodes on BR, but I can't imagine that'd be hard to do.
They released some of the later episodes (like starting at 575 or something like that?) but I haven't heard anything about any of the earlier seasons being released. Other than that Japan hasn't got much more than Funimation/Manga UK in terms of Blu-Rays as their output has been mainly the movies and specials which we've got, and even then I don't think they've all been released post-DVD. Maybe One Piece Blu-Rays didn't sell enough in Japan for TOEI to see any return on investment with other long running series like the pre-Kai Dragon Ball series. After all One Piece was their biggest property for a long time.
Selling
- Arrival DVD single
- Betrayal DVD single

Looking For
- Showdown DVD single
- Madman Level 1.1

If interested PM with offers

User avatar
KBABZ
I Live Here
Posts: 3971
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:38 pm
Location: The tallest tower in West City

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by KBABZ » Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:16 am

Not entirely related to the discussion at hand, but I just found out that the Teen Titans Season 1 Blu-Ray that was released a few years ago was cropped to widescreen. WTF?!

Scavenger
Newbie
Posts: 41
Joined: Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:50 pm
Location: Netherlands

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by Scavenger » Thu Oct 03, 2019 10:17 am

KBABZ wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:16 am
Not entirely related to the discussion at hand, but I just found out that the Teen Titans Season 1 Blu-Ray that was released a few years ago was cropped to widescreen. WTF?!
Not cropped. It was animated in widescreen, but cropped to 4:3 for broadcast. Transformers Animated befell the same fate.

LostTimeLord
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 159
Joined: Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:14 pm

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by LostTimeLord » Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:09 am

Scsigs wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:11 pm
One Piece HAS been released on BR in Japan, hasn't it? After episode 206, they started producing the show in HD, so all they have to do is author BR discs. I don't know if they've released the first 206 episodes on BR, but I can't imagine that'd be hard to do.
Yeah, they started animating in HD from 207, but only started releasing Blu-rays from 575 and only release the Log Collection bundles on DVD. They even have an official upscale of 1-206 (which is on Crunchyroll and wouldn't you know it, is cropped to widescreen). I think it's safe to say that, from Avex/Toei's POV, the Blu-rays for the series aren't as important as the DVDs. If they won't bother putting out episodes from an ongoing series with ready-to-go HD masters then that doesn't bode well for a Dragon Ball remaster.

User avatar
TheMajinRedComet
Regular
Posts: 514
Joined: Mon Aug 29, 2005 8:56 pm
Location: Space

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by TheMajinRedComet » Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:27 pm

Agreed. That's what I was getting at. If they wont go out of there way to remaster 200 episodes of one of their most popular shows. I dont think they are going to remaster a show that they have remastered twice already. Once for dvd and once for kai. As for sailor moon I was under the impression that viz were only given the dvd masters whereas Europe and japan got a legit remaster.
Hiei: "So tell me - what's it like living in a constant haze of Stupidity?"
Hiei: "I know as much about games as I do puppies and huggs....Wake me up for the end of world"
Welcome to Super Vegeta's Big Bang Attack.... Welcome to Oblivion!!!
Remember "When things get weird, skip the last saga"-Chris Sabat

User avatar
Scsigs
I Live Here
Posts: 2368
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:55 am
Location: NY, USA
Contact:

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by Scsigs » Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:46 pm

KBABZ wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:16 am
Not entirely related to the discussion at hand, but I just found out that the Teen Titans Season 1 Blu-Ray that was released a few years ago was cropped to widescreen. WTF?!
Nope. The series was actually animated at Widescreen, but they crunched it down to 4:3 for broadcasts. OG Ben 10 & Alien Force were also broadcast that way initially as well as What's New Scooby-Doo & a few other shows on CN at the time that they chose to future-proof. Disney did exactly the same thing with several of THEIR own cartoons from the same time & slightly earlier as well. The shows were also animated in 1080p & they look FANTASTIC in the new aspect ratio & HD.
But, yeah, Warner Bros. tends not to crop stuff into widescreen when doing BR releases. The only instance I can think of is Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker, which was cropped already for a DVD release, I think, before they released the BR remaster &, even then, they still have the 4:3 version available on the disc too.
LostTimeLord wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:09 am
Yeah, they started animating in HD from 207, but only started releasing Blu-rays from 575 and only release the Log Collection bundles on DVD. They even have an official upscale of 1-206 (which is on Crunchyroll and wouldn't you know it, is cropped to widescreen). I think it's safe to say that, from Avex/Toei's POV, the Blu-rays for the series aren't as important as the DVDs. If they won't bother putting out episodes from an ongoing series with ready-to-go HD masters then that doesn't bode well for a Dragon Ball remaster.
There's a really weird thing with studios releasing shows on BR. Like, Viz has put out upscales on BR in the last half a decade. They put out Death Note & Bleach on BR (which it looks like they've silently cancelled for some reason, which SUCKS because they have only 9 more sets to go & I REALLY don't wanna get the DVDs when there's a superior release they've been doing)
TheMajinRedComet wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:27 pm
Agreed. That's what I was getting at. If they wont go out of there way to remaster 200 episodes of one of their most popular shows. I dont think they are going to remaster a show that they have remastered twice already. Once for dvd and once for kai. As for sailor moon I was under the impression that viz were only given the dvd masters whereas Europe and japan got a legit remaster.
Sailor Moon is weird. TOEI, apparently, didn't save the film reels of the show or lost them or something, so no licenser has actual masters that can be used to make a legit HD remaster. Italy has the best looking masters for their DVDs that they cleaned up themselves, but Toei chose not to send THOSE masters to Viz or anyone, so Viz were stuck with a crappy master that the company they hired to remaster it tried to clean up with oversaturation of the colors & bad color correction, as well as accidental ghosting on the season 1 sets. But, yeah.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.

The epic tale of how Sean Schemmel blocked me on Twitter:
I tagged him in a thread explaining how his performance wasn't rerecorded when FUNi were redoing parts of the early Z dub for the Orange Bricks.
He thought I was misrepresenting his work by saying he wasn't in something he was in.
I explained how that wasn't the situation & did a bit of a sarcastic kinda thing involving the rerecordings FUNi did for the Z dub to show how stupid that was.
He said they didn't record him & not use his recordings.
Blocked & he deleted his response tweets to me.
???
Profit...?

Um...Listen to Waterparks.
That is all.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs

Post Reply