Funimation's 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by PremiumSalt » Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:18 pm

Threw together a comparison with the screengrab Ajay posted:

http://www.framecompare.com/image-compa ... n/DWPLGNNX
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

simtek34
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by simtek34 » Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:28 pm

PremiumSalt wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:18 pm Threw together a comparison with the screengrab Ajay posted:

Wow. That is just bad. Especially when being compared to the unfortunately canceled Level Blu-ray sets. I understand why FUNi has to do a little bit of coping, to hide things like curved edges, tears, tape marks, and whatnot, but when being compared to the Level footage, it shows that FUNi cropped WAY too much of the top and bottom off "to maintain a 4:3 ratio"

Newbie — 06/27/2016
Not-So-Newbie — ???
Beyond Newbie — ???
Beyond-The-Beyond-Newbie — 12/20/2016
Regular — 02/05/2017
OMG CRAZY REG — 06/14/2017

Xbox Live: PlushGerm24109
Everywhere else: simtek34

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:30 pm

Yep, legit trash. Quelle surprise.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:30 pm

PremiumSalt wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:18 pm Threw together a comparison with the screengrab Ajay posted:

Good lord have mercy! :lol: I'm not gonna lie, I ordered this new set because I wanted it but Jesus Christ. The difference between the Dragonboxes and any other release is just shocking to me. I have seen comparisons and stuff but man...I'm definitely never getting rid of my Dragonboxes. I doubt there will ever be a release like it again in our lifetimes. :lol: I'm thinking about selling my 16x9 sets anyways because I don't need a million releases of Z anymore and I just wanted Funimation's version. I still believe the Dragonboxes are as good as it gets.
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:32 pm

Comparison time! Not to be outdone by the speed of the above, this one should win by comparing EIGHT distinct sources, all at full 1080p size, including both widescreen and fullscreen Kai, both flavours of Season release from Funi, UUE, DBox, and of course, the main event of Level and 30th anniversary.
Truly, this is the ultimate way to understand precisely why and how the 30th anniversary edition sucks. The way it was meant to be seen, if you will. ;)

Also, as a bonus, here's a comparison of the title cards Funi have put on their releases since 2005.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:36 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:32 pm Comparison time! Not to be outdone by the speed of the above, this one should win by comparing EIGHT distinct sources, all at full 1080p size, including both widescreen and fullscreen Kai, both flavours of Season release from Funi, UUE, DBox, and of course, the main event of Level and 30th anniversary.

Also, as a bonus, here's a comparison of the title cards Funi have put on their releases since 2005.
Well Jesus dude, didn't need to show me up THAT badly :lol:

On a different note I can't decide if the Season or 30th Title Card is worse (also good lord what even IS that UUE one?)
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:41 pm

PremiumSalt wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:36 pm
Robo4900 wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:32 pm Comparison time! Not to be outdone by the speed of the above, this one should win by comparing EIGHT distinct sources, all at full 1080p size, including both widescreen and fullscreen Kai, both flavours of Season release from Funi, UUE, DBox, and of course, the main event of Level and 30th anniversary.

Well Jesus dude, didn't need to show me up THAT badly :lol:
Hey man, I've got a reputation to uphold. :D
PremiumSalt wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:36 pm On a different note I can't decide if the Season or 30th Title Card is worse (also good lord what even IS that UUE one?)
I think the 30th is worse. At least the Season BDs put in the effort of italicising its super-bland font of choice, and putting an outline around the lettering. The 30th edition... It's just so bland and plain.

Funny thing about UUE is it looks just like the font they later used in Kai.

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:01 pm

How much picture you gain/lose with each of Funimation's blu-ray releases (not counting Kai).

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:03 pm

Absolute trash. And to make matters worse, it has the least amount of footage of all of them! So much for 4:3
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:07 pm

DHM211 wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:01 pm How much picture you gain/lose with each of Funimation's blu-ray releases (not counting Kai).

Good lord, they cut off way too much of the image on all four sides. It's the most cramped framing that i have ever seen on a 4:3 presentation and looks simply atrocious.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:10 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:07 pm
DHM211 wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:01 pm How much picture you gain/lose with each of Funimation's blu-ray releases (not counting Kai).

Good lord, they cut off way too much of the image all around. It's the most cramped I've ever seen a 4:3 presentation and looks simply atrocious.
I'm almost positive this is exclusively an episode 1 problem. As soon as someone posts pictures from later episodes I'll put together another comparison.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:12 pm

DHM211 wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:10 pm
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:07 pm

Good lord, they cut off way too much of the image all around. It's the most cramped I've ever seen a 4:3 presentation and looks simply atrocious.
I'm almost positive this is exclusively an episode 1 problem. As soon as someone posts pictures from later episodes I'll put together another comparison.
That's what i've heard, apparently Z episode 1 is hands down the worst looking quality wise out of the entire 291 on FUNi's masters and that's been the case on every release utilizing said multi generation prints. One thing's for sure, i'm definitely holding tight to my Dragon Boxes because it seems FUNi just won't make the effort to put out an acceptable release of the series that isn't utter garbage in terms of the aspect ratio and video quality.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:00 pm

Well, if anyone wants to put up a screenshot from later in the series, I'm willing to put together more of my insane comparisons.

If I may, I kindly request a screenshot that was present in the original Saban dub (since that would add at least one more additional source to compare). Perhaps one from the Namek arc?

Say, this one? (I think this is in the Saban dub?) Which is one of the very few frames of the Levels we have from the Namek arc (thanks to the behind-the-scenes feature on Level 1.1).
I believe this is from when the Ginyus were fighting Gohan and Kuririn.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:07 pm

On the plus, maybe someone can take these and edit a HD cut of the ocean dub in 4x3

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:13 pm

I didn’t think these would ever be any good after the initial reveal but I did hope for a subtle improvement.

But nope they’re irredeemable trash.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:56 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:07 pm On the plus, maybe someone can take these and edit a HD cut of the ocean dub in 4x3
No. These sets are terrible. If you want to improve the visuals of the Ocean dubs, use the Dragon Boxes or the Levels. (Or the original DVD singles, assuming you're talking about the Westwood dub)
This set has such terrible visuals, there's probably more visual detail in the Dragon Boxes, even.
Captain Awesome wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:13 pm I didn’t think these would ever be any good after the initial reveal but I did hope for a subtle improvement.

But nope they’re irredeemable trash.
Yep. Really, we shouldn't be surprised at this kind of shit by now.

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:45 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:56 pm This set has such terrible visuals, there's probably more visual detail in the Dragon Boxes, even.
Probably?

There’s no question - even if you ignore the black crush that Funimation love to do there is significantly more detail in the Dragon Boxes than in these sets. Especially the R2s with their maxed out bitrates.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:23 pm

It seems they zoomed it in so much that they could say "See? We told you the widescreen gained more footage overall!" :problem:
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

PacificOceanDub
Beyond Newbie

Post by PacificOceanDub » Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:30 pm

Got my set this afternoon. First impressions about the packaging are that it’s very pretty in some regards, but also really quite cheap looking in others, particularly the images of characters on the “pages” of the BD books. The outer box is beautiful though, as are the images of Vegeta, Freeza, Cell and Boo on the fronts. The art book is pretty boring and disappointing, I was honestly expecting more out of it. I like the title card font way better than the Season BDs. I almost feel like it looks like the OG DB titles from Toonami
You shouldn’t have to (Cell.) your soul!

Tylerman29
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tylerman29 » Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:27 pm

SuperSaiyanPan wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 2:45 pm I asked on Reddit and found out I am not the only one who received a wrong tracking number in the E-Mail. Instead I got the Airport Label ID from where it is shipping from. So I am unable to track my package right now, It's still shipping I just can't follow it.

Is anyone else having this problem?
That explains why I havn't been able to track it for the past couple days...the "airport label" number started with DFW so I wonder if it is shipping from Dallas Fort Worth airport(6 hour drive away). Well I doubt funi support will get back to me before it arrives so I guess its just a waiting game. I expect it Monday...hopefully.

As for the comparisons, I'll withhold judgement until I see stuff from later in the series. It already looks better than the season sets which I never bought (outside of season 1) so I will be satisfied either way. I do wanna hear if there is any noticeable difference in the audio quality between these and the seasons.

Also what do the menus look and sound like? Funi had really cool main menu music and visuals for the season blu rays.
DB, Z, and GT subbed are my "canon".
SSJ4 > Any transformation in Super.