Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
sumpter360
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 478
Joined: Thu Dec 25, 2008 7:42 pm
Location: St. Peters, MO - Currently applying for Residency at Hinata Apartments :)

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by sumpter360 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:17 am

Can someone post screen-compares of later episodes? IIRC, the first episode is in way worse shape than the others, so FUNi would of course be cropping much more in that episode.
I am neither subbie nor dubbie, I am all that is good: I am a FANBOY!

PSN ID (on PS4): sumpter360
YouTube Account: TheDbG33K
Twitter Account: https://twitter.com/dbG33K
Tumblr Blog: http://g33kout.tumblr.com

User avatar
Char Aznable
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 489
Joined: Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:02 pm
Location: Connecticut
Contact:

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by Char Aznable » Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:32 am

I take back every bit of goodwill I ever said about this set. Multiple discs are scratched because of course they are, they’re in cardboard sleeves! I was casing them up and checked each one, and after awhile I just gave up because every other disc was scratched and this one shown here is deep, as in it catches my fingernail.

Image

This is beyond unacceptable. This is why you don’t store your discs in your $350 limited edition set in cardboard sleeves, what were you people thinking!? It’s a shame too because I actually really like the figure, but I guess this has to go back.

I think I’m joining the boycott bandwagon now. I’m beyond pissed that they did this. There’s one volume left of Super and admittedly I’ll get it to complete the collection, after that I think I’m done with them.
Last edited by Char Aznable on Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
rs_chaosmaster
Regular
Posts: 714
Joined: Sat Sep 10, 2011 1:40 pm

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by rs_chaosmaster » Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:35 am

I completely understand the frustration the packaging while it looks really nice is unacceptable. I also expect scratches on my set but am hopeful it wont effect video playback.

User avatar
Char Aznable
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 489
Joined: Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:02 pm
Location: Connecticut
Contact:

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by Char Aznable » Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:38 am

rs_chaosmaster wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:35 am
I completely understand the frustration the packaging while it looks really nice is unacceptable. I also expect scratches on my set but am hopeful it wont effect video playback.
I don’t need to test it, I know it’s not going to work because it catches my fingernail. I don’t know what the hell they were thinking putting them in cardboard sleeves.

User avatar
SuperSaiyaManZ94
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1783
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:01 pm
Location: Alabama, USA

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:42 am

Char Aznable wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:32 am
I take back every bit of goodwill I ever said about this set. Multiple discs are scratched because of course they are, they’re in cardboard sleeves! I was casing them up and checked each one, and after awhile I just gave up because every other disc was scratched and this one shown here is deep, as in it catches my fingernail.

Image

This is beyond unacceptable. This is why you don’t store your discs in your $350 limited edition set in cardboard sleeves, what were you people thinking!? It’s a shame too because I actually really like the figure, but I guess this has to go back.

I think I’m joining the boycott bandwagon now. I’m beyond pissed that they did this. There’s one volume left of Super and admittedly I’ll get it to complete the collection, after that I think I’m done with them.
Oh jeez, that looks like one hell of a scratch. I just plain hate sets with discs that are poorly packaged like that. :o
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

User avatar
Tylerman29
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 206
Joined: Tue May 23, 2017 7:43 pm
Location: Texas

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by Tylerman29 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:52 am

Char Aznable wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:38 am

I don’t need to test it, I know it’s not going to work because it catches my fingernail. I don’t know what the hell they were thinking putting them in cardboard sleeves.
Test it anyways..for science. Hopefully its not a widespread issue. I’ve owned a few sleeve type packaging releases for other things (DC animated 10th anniversary set, Band of Brothers, Batman TAS) haven’t had an issue before. Its just annoying getting them out if they are snug.

I probably won’t have mine till Tues or Wed as it apparently hasn’t shipped despite getting the email it has. According to funi support the tracking number doesn’t work because all they have done is print the labels. Weird how people are getting them so early. Maybe they are shipped in batches.

I will be sure to check every disc and report. I might invest in custom cases.
Anime-only DB fan.
DB, Z, and GT subbed are my "holy trinity".
Wish we had the DB and GT DBoxes in the west.
SSJ4 > Any transformation in Super.

User avatar
Char Aznable
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 489
Joined: Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:02 pm
Location: Connecticut
Contact:

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by Char Aznable » Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:01 pm

Tylerman29 wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:52 am
Char Aznable wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:38 am

I don’t need to test it, I know it’s not going to work because it catches my fingernail. I don’t know what the hell they were thinking putting them in cardboard sleeves.
Test it anyways..for science. Hopefully its not a widespread issue. I’ve owned a few sleeve type packaging releases for other things (DC animated 10th anniversary set, Band of Brothers, Batman TAS) haven’t had an issue before. Its just annoying getting them out if they are snug.

I probably won’t have mine till Tues or Wed as it apparently hasn’t shipped despite getting the email it has. According to funi support the tracking number doesn’t work because all they have done is print the labels. Weird how people are getting them so early. Maybe they are shipped in batches.

I will be sure to check every disc and report. I might invest in custom cases.
We’ll see. I don’t even want to bother honestly because I’m just so disappointed. I discovered these scratches as I was putting them in my own empty cases. I’m going to email FUNi support and I’m going to tell them look, here are the discs that I received that were scratched, replace the discs (which obviously won’t happen) or I’ll send the whole thing back for a refund. If they go the whole ‘oh it was limited so no refunds’ route I’ll do a chargeback. I’m done.

I like the Goku figure and I’ll be sad to return that, but the art book is more disappointing than I expected and the cardboard sleeves scratched the discs. Remaster issues aside, this was all one big dud. I’m sorry I ordered it, my intention was to show FUNi that proper ratio DBZ will sell today but they fucked with me, now I’m on the boycott bandwagon.

User avatar
SuperSaiyaManZ94
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1783
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:01 pm
Location: Alabama, USA

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:08 pm

Char Aznable wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:01 pm
Tylerman29 wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:52 am
Char Aznable wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:38 am

I don’t need to test it, I know it’s not going to work because it catches my fingernail. I don’t know what the hell they were thinking putting them in cardboard sleeves.
Test it anyways..for science. Hopefully its not a widespread issue. I’ve owned a few sleeve type packaging releases for other things (DC animated 10th anniversary set, Band of Brothers, Batman TAS) haven’t had an issue before. Its just annoying getting them out if they are snug.

I probably won’t have mine till Tues or Wed as it apparently hasn’t shipped despite getting the email it has. According to funi support the tracking number doesn’t work because all they have done is print the labels. Weird how people are getting them so early. Maybe they are shipped in batches.

I will be sure to check every disc and report. I might invest in custom cases.
We’ll see. I don’t even want to bother honestly because I’m just so disappointed. I discovered these scratches as I was putting them in my own empty cases. I’m going to email FUNi support and I’m going to tell them look, here are the discs that I received that were scratched, replace the discs (which obviously won’t happen) or I’ll send the whole thing back for a refund. If they go the whole ‘oh it was limited so no refunds’ route I’ll do a chargeback. I’m done.

I like the Goku figure and I’ll be sad to return that, but the art book is more disappointing than I expected and the cardboard sleeves scratched the discs. Remaster issues aside, this was all one big dud. I’m sorry I ordered it, my intention was to show FUNi that proper ratio DBZ will sell today but they fucked with me, now I’m on the boycott bandwagon.
Yep, i'd surely do the same if i didn't already have most of the Dragon Boxes and pre ordered this. Stuff like that there with the discs and terrible packaging would really grind my gears to no end especially with the set being such a pricy release and all.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

User avatar
sangofe
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6614
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2004 3:39 pm

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by sangofe » Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:12 pm

Char Aznable wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:38 am
rs_chaosmaster wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:35 am
I completely understand the frustration the packaging while it looks really nice is unacceptable. I also expect scratches on my set but am hopeful it wont effect video playback.
I don’t need to test it, I know it’s not going to work because it catches my fingernail. I don’t know what the hell they were thinking putting them in cardboard sleeves.
Claim your money back.

User avatar
Char Aznable
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 489
Joined: Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:02 pm
Location: Connecticut
Contact:

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by Char Aznable » Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:17 pm

sangofe wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:12 pm
Char Aznable wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:38 am
rs_chaosmaster wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:35 am
I completely understand the frustration the packaging while it looks really nice is unacceptable. I also expect scratches on my set but am hopeful it wont effect video playback.
I don’t need to test it, I know it’s not going to work because it catches my fingernail. I don’t know what the hell they were thinking putting them in cardboard sleeves.
Claim your money back.
Working on it. I sent FUNi an email first, it’s Sunday so I’m sure I won’t hear back for a few days. If they give me a hard time or ignore me, I’m going the chargeback route.

Here’s what I sent them (by the way, their contact page has an option on the drop down specifically for this set, so, lol on that I guess):

I can’t believe you guys charged $350 for a set of 37 discs stored in cardboard sleeves! If I had known that’s how you were packaging them, I never would’ve gotten it. Cardboard sleeves are terrible because they are guaranteed to scratch your brand new discs before you even get a chance to open the box! Sure enough, about a third of my discs have light to moderate scratches and one has a very deep scratch which I’ve linked to an image of the one that is particularly bad. The scratch catches my fingernail and of course the disc doesn’t work because it’s scratched thanks to the cardboard sleeve!

https://imgur.com/a/HrA1rO7

So the way I see it there are two choices here, because this is frankly unacceptable. I can tell you guys which discs are scratched and ask for replacements shipped in regular cases and NOT cardboard sleeves, or I can return the whole set and get my $350 refunded. I have the Dragon Box sets already, I’m fine with either option, I bought this as a gesture of goodwill despite the obvious remaster issues and to show you guys that 4:3 DBZ on Blu-ray is something people wanted, but if this is how you’re going to do it then I no longer want any part of it. I find it extremely shady that the details on the packaging were never disclosed and this was a terrible surprise to find out only upon getting the set in my hands, I’ve never been a fan of cardboard sleeves for this very reason.

I await your reply, thank you for reading.

User avatar
SuperSaiyaManZ94
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1783
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:01 pm
Location: Alabama, USA

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:21 pm

Char Aznable wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:17 pm
sangofe wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:12 pm
Char Aznable wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:38 am


I don’t need to test it, I know it’s not going to work because it catches my fingernail. I don’t know what the hell they were thinking putting them in cardboard sleeves.
Claim your money back.
Working on it. I sent FUNi an email first, it’s Sunday so I’m sure I won’t hear back for a few days. If they give me a hard time or ignore me, I’m going the chargeback route.

Here’s what I sent them:

I can’t believe you guys charged $350 for a set of 37 discs stored in cardboard sleeves! If I had known that’s how you were packaging them, I never would’ve gotten it. Cardboard sleeves are terrible because they are guaranteed to scratch your brand new discs before you even get a chance to open the box! Sure enough, about a third of my discs have light to moderate scratches and one has a very deep scratch which I’ve linked to an image of the one that is particularly bad. The scratch catches my fingernail and of course the disc doesn’t work because it’s scratched thanks to the cardboard sleeve!

https://imgur.com/a/HrA1rO7

So the way I see it there are two choices here, because this is frankly unacceptable. I can tell you guys which discs are scratched and ask for replacements shipped in regular cases and NOT cardboard sleeves, or I can return the whole set and get my $350 refunded. I have the Dragon Box sets already, I’m fine with either option, I bought this as a gesture of goodwill despite the obvious remaster issues and to show you guys that 4:3 DBZ on Blu-ray is something people wanted, but if this is how you’re going to do it then I no longer want any part of it. I find it extremely shady that the details on the packaging were never disclosed and this was a terrible surprise to find out only upon getting the set in my hands, I’ve never been a fan of cardboard sleeves for this very reason.

I await your reply, thank you for reading.
That's definitely some well thought out complaints about the set's issues, i'd really be surprised if they didn't at least acknowledge you in some way refund or not.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

User avatar
eledoremassis02
I Live Here
Posts: 3696
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:40 pm

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:14 pm

Char Aznable wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:32 am
I take back every bit of goodwill I ever said about this set. Multiple discs are scratched because of course they are, they’re in cardboard sleeves! I was casing them up and checked each one, and after awhile I just gave up because every other disc was scratched and this one shown here is deep, as in it catches my fingernail.

Image

This is beyond unacceptable. This is why you don’t store your discs in your $350 limited edition set in cardboard sleeves, what were you people thinking!? It’s a shame too because I actually really like the figure, but I guess this has to go back.

I think I’m joining the boycott bandwagon now. I’m beyond pissed that they did this. There’s one volume left of Super and admittedly I’ll get it to complete the collection, after that I think I’m done with them.
Dang I'm really sorry to see that man :( I hope you'll atleast get to return it. please keep us updated on if it works

User avatar
TheGreatness25
I Live Here
Posts: 4280
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2007 9:36 am

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:09 pm

I'm really sorry for anyone having scratched up discs. I haven't gotten mine yet, so I don't know if mine do.

Why would they do this? They're so inept. They knew that there were lots of fans upset with them already and the way they chose to reward those that gave them a chance, was they used cheap packaging that creates scratching issues... for a limited release...

I don't regret getting this set for the sake of having yet another video source to use for comparisons, but I do regret that Funimation put that money in their bank accounts.

User avatar
SupremeSSJ
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 292
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2013 12:14 pm
Location: VA

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by SupremeSSJ » Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:13 pm

Char Aznable wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:32 am
I take back every bit of goodwill I ever said about this set. Multiple discs are scratched because of course they are, they’re in cardboard sleeves! I was casing them up and checked each one, and after awhile I just gave up because every other disc was scratched and this one shown here is deep, as in it catches my fingernail.

Image

This is beyond unacceptable. This is why you don’t store your discs in your $350 limited edition set in cardboard sleeves, what were you people thinking!? It’s a shame too because I actually really like the figure, but I guess this has to go back.

I think I’m joining the boycott bandwagon now. I’m beyond pissed that they did this. There’s one volume left of Super and admittedly I’ll get it to complete the collection, after that I think I’m done with them.
Lol omg I dont mean to laugh but jeez talk about a BIG disappointment. I was thinking bout picking this set up but I have the dboxes so I decided not to, glad I didn't spen some my tax return on this.

User avatar
Scsigs
I Live Here
Posts: 2839
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:55 am
Location: NY, USA
Contact:

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by Scsigs » Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:54 pm

Char Aznable wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:32 am
I take back every bit of goodwill I ever said about this set. Multiple discs are scratched because of course they are, they’re in cardboard sleeves! I was casing them up and checked each one, and after awhile I just gave up because every other disc was scratched and this one shown here is deep, as in it catches my fingernail.

Image

This is beyond unacceptable. This is why you don’t store your discs in your $350 limited edition set in cardboard sleeves, what were you people thinking!? It’s a shame too because I actually really like the figure, but I guess this has to go back.

I think I’m joining the boycott bandwagon now. I’m beyond pissed that they did this. There’s one volume left of Super and admittedly I’ll get it to complete the collection, after that I think I’m done with them.
Shit, dude! contact FUNi right now & ask for replacements! That's just awful.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

User avatar
eledoremassis02
I Live Here
Posts: 3696
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:40 pm

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:00 pm

Caught this on reddit
So I received my 30th Anniversary set, and some parts of it are damaged. The top of the art book is ripped slightly at the spine, and the outer box that houses the Blu rays is damaged some as well.

I’m really disappointed that for $350 Funimation couldn’t have sprung for some bubble wrap. The packing material is just brown paper. The book was just sitting at the bottom with nothing protecting it but its plastic wrap.

I plan on emailing funimationstore@funimation.com and attaching pictures of the damage. Can they even send replacement parts? I don’t even want a refund, I just want a non damaged product. I’m just worried that with the limited nature of the set that it’ll be impossible
https://www.reddit.com/r/dbz/comments/d ... _shipping/

Cap from twitter sadly from episode 1 again
Image

User avatar
Char Aznable
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 489
Joined: Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:02 pm
Location: Connecticut
Contact:

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by Char Aznable » Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:58 pm

I’ve tweeted at them, commented on Facebook, and emailed. If they ignore me for a week, then on Friday I’m starting the chargeback process. I’m not tolerating this.

Goodwill wasted, FUNi can rot. Cardboard sleeves. What a joke!

Here’s some free advice FUNi since you’re too stupid to put together a quality set - either go with digipacks like the Dragon Boxes, or for something truly special take 4-disc cases separated by your artificial season numbering and place them into four boxes with the same art that you used for your shitty sleeve books. That’s asking too much though.

User avatar
SuperSaiyaManZ94
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1783
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:01 pm
Location: Alabama, USA

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:17 pm

Char Aznable wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:58 pm
I’ve tweeted at them, commented on Facebook, and emailed. If they ignore me for a week, then on Friday I’m starting the chargeback process. I’m not tolerating this.

Goodwill wasted, FUNi can rot. Cardboard sleeves. What a joke!

Here’s some free advice FUNi since you’re too stupid to put together a quality set - either go with digipacks like the Dragon Boxes, or for something truly special take 4-disc cases separated by your artificial season numbering and place them into four boxes with the same art that you used for your shitty sleeve books. That’s asking too much though.
Do whatever you must be it refund or otherwise because that kind of packaging is the absolute worst along with cases which have the spindles where the discs are stacked on top of each other. I'd be pissed too if i got the set and the discs were all scratched up the same way as well.

This is such a joke, apparently not only can they not give us a good remaster but it seems FUNi can't even provide a good style of casing that won't lead to damaged discs. :x
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

User avatar
SqueakyBoots
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 135
Joined: Tue Feb 14, 2017 1:00 pm

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by SqueakyBoots » Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:29 pm

I would suggest not trash talking and insulting Funimation if you want to be taken seriously by them. The people on their customer support line had nothing to do with anything that went into this set and having to read through emails that treat them as incompetent is only going to make their jobs miserable. Just send them a polite email explaining your issues with the set and why cardboard sleeves aren't favorable. It will help the process of refunding go smoother and make it more likely for whoever you talk with to pass the message along to people higher on the chain.

Funimation is probably looking at all these comments and thinking that people are just gonna bitch no matter what they do and see no reason to bother trying anymore.

User avatar
Terez
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 279
Joined: Sat Apr 16, 2016 10:58 pm
Location: IL, USA

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by Terez » Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:50 pm

Thinking about getting something like this to put the discs in:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000JJSQ58/

Anyone who has already gotten theirs, do you think it would fit in the cardboard sleeves?

Post Reply