Funimation's 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Char Aznable
Regular

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by Char Aznable » Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:59 pm

SqueakyBoots wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:29 pm I would suggest not trash talking and insulting Funimation if you want to be taken seriously by them. The people on their customer support line had nothing to do with anything that went into this set and having to read through emails that treat them as incompetent is only going to make their jobs miserable. Just send them a polite email explaining your issues with the set and why cardboard sleeves aren't favorable. It will help the process of refunding go smoother and make it more likely for whoever you talk with to pass the message along to people higher on the chain.

Funimation is probably looking at all these comments and thinking that people are just gonna bitch no matter what they do and see no reason to bother trying anymore.
I get it, when I typed them that email I was furious, and still am, so yeah I probably took it too far. But spending $350 on a questionable remaster I’m willing to give a chance only to get cardboard sleeves and heavily scratched discs is just the final tipping point for me.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 5:43 pm

Id also like to mention it's not just FUNi. The limited Batman TAS sets had the same issue with cardboard sleeves and fans hated it so for beyond they did stack disc digibook (of which peoples discs came loose and even mine came with a damaged disc). But a refund or replacement discs should be issues for people otherwise it defintly is not fair.

Char Aznable
Regular

Post by Char Aznable » Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:05 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 5:43 pm Id also like to mention it's not just FUNi. The limited Batman TAS sets had the same issue with cardboard sleeves and fans hated it so for beyond they did stack disc digibook (of which peoples discs came loose and even mine came with a damaged disc). But a refund or replacement discs should be issues for people otherwise it defintly is not fair.
Which is precisely why I opted for the standard release for Batman TAS, two cases in a nice box is all you need, it’s perfect. I’ll do the same for Beyond and wait. Cardboard sleeves are the worst thing to ever happen for optical media collectors.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:20 pm

Char Aznable wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:05 pm
eledoremassis02 wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 5:43 pm Id also like to mention it's not just FUNi. The limited Batman TAS sets had the same issue with cardboard sleeves and fans hated it so for beyond they did stack disc digibook (of which peoples discs came loose and even mine came with a damaged disc). But a refund or replacement discs should be issues for people otherwise it defintly is not fair.
Which is precisely why I opted for the standard release for Batman TAS, two cases in a nice box is all you need, it’s perfect. I’ll do the same for Beyond and wait. Cardboard sleeves are the worst thing to ever happen for optical media collectors.
Beyond is coming in a digipack, so I don't think you NEED to wait unless you just wanna spend a bit less.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Terez
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Terez » Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:15 pm

Terez wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:50 pm Thinking about getting something like this to put the discs in:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000JJSQ58/

Anyone who has already gotten theirs, do you think it would fit in the cardboard sleeves?
new page so re-upping my question which I think got lost

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:50 pm

Ajay wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 5:22 pm Ooof...

That's gonna be a naw from me.
Oh boy I've ALWAYS wanted DBZ to look like a Flash cartoon!
Terez wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:15 pm new page so re-upping my question which I think got lost
Naw it showed up fine, at the end of the previous page. Never encountered this issue myself!

My main thoughts on this is that, for $350, there is a LOT of corner-cutting and recycling going on with this set. It's an uncrop of a previous release, they used cardboard sleeves, the new episode titles may as well have been written in Arial with Ctrl+B... you'd think Funi would have gone through WAY more trouble to make the release feel more, y'know, SPECIAL for their premiere product. And it's not like they couldn't have seen this coming after all, they've had until the 25th anniversary to prepare for this.

Conclusion: Dragon Ball is in the hands of owners who want to make money without spending it, and it's killing the brand.

Tylerman29
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tylerman29 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:19 pm

Really curious what the menus are like. If I had to guess probably a static image of the disc art😂. Hope I'm wrong.
DB, Z, and GT subbed are my "canon".
SSJ4 > Any transformation in Super.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:22 pm

KBABZ wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:50 pm

Terez wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:15 pm new page so re-upping my question which I think got lost
Naw it showed up fine, at the end of the previous page. Never encountered this issue myself!

My main thoughts on this is that, for $350, there is a LOT of corner-cutting and recycling going on with this set. It's an uncrop of a previous release, they used cardboard sleeves, the new episode titles may as well have been written in Arial with Ctrl+B... you'd think Funi would have gone through WAY more trouble to make the release feel more, y'know, SPECIAL for their premiere product. And it's not like they couldn't have seen this coming after all, they've had until the 25th anniversary to prepare for this.

Conclusion: Dragon Ball is in the hands of owners who want to make money without spending it, and it's killing the brand.
You are hilarious man. I love you.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

LettuceJUMP
Beyond Newbie

Post by LettuceJUMP » Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:24 pm

I’m sad there is so little impressions. As soon as I receive I’m flipping through the later episodes.

Char Aznable
Regular

Post by Char Aznable » Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:48 pm

KBABZ wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:50 pm

The artbook is a huge disappointment too, it’s just a bunch of basic clip art and screen grabs. What’s funny is they have an ad for the new Viz artbook which looks 1000x better.

This whole thing is disappointing on a massive scale, and getting it was a mistake. It’s a cash grab. I’m getting my money back one way or another. If I have to do a chargeback, then I’ll sell it off disclosing the damage. Either way, done with it.

EDIT - FUNi emailed back, basically saying that I can request replacements. I’m going to have to make clear that I do not want another set in cardboard sleeves sent, almost half the discs have some sort of scratching, and at this point I’m just going to ask for the refund and be done with it.

Tylerman29
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tylerman29 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:56 pm

LettuceJUMP wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:24 pm I’m sad there is so little impressions. As soon as I receive I’m flipping through the later episodes.
A lot of us don’t have it yet. Only a handful have actually been shipped. Most of us will be getting it next week.
DB, Z, and GT subbed are my "canon".
SSJ4 > Any transformation in Super.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:02 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:22 pm You are hilarious man. I love you.
I honestly can't tell if this is sarcastic or not.
Char Aznable wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:48 pm The artbook is a huge disappointment too, it’s just a bunch of basic clip art and screen grabs. What’s funny is they have an ad for the new Viz artbook which looks 1000x better.
Personally I think artwork used for previous packaging is fine because that's nostalgic in its own way (like Goku charging the Kamehameha all the way back on the first VHS, or the amazing art for the OG Dragon Box). Screengrabs through doesn't make any sense unless they're cel scans, which the OG Dragon Box did, albeit as a supplement to the detailed disc episode recaps and extensive cast interviews.
Char Aznable wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:48 pm This whole thing is disappointing on a massive scale, and getting it was a mistake. It’s a cash grab. I’m getting my money back one way or another. If I have to do a chargeback, then I’ll sell it off disclosing the damage. Either way, done with it.
Agreed. Initially I was miffed but "okay cool" about it since at least it was something and the packaging looked nice, but this is pretty sloppy IMO and I totally don't blame you for wanting to get rid of it.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:07 pm

KBABZ wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:02 pm
Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:22 pm You are hilarious man. I love you.
I honestly can't tell if this is sarcastic or not.
Char Aznable wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:48 pm The artbook is a huge disappointment too, it’s just a bunch of basic clip art and screen grabs. What’s funny is they have an ad for the new Viz artbook which looks 1000x better.
Personally I think artwork used for previous packaging is fine because that's nostalgic in its own way (like Goku charging the Kamehameha all the way back on the first VHS, or the amazing art for the OG Dragon Box). Screengrabs through doesn't make any sense unless they're cel scans, which the OG Dragon Box did, albeit as a supplement to the detailed disc episode recaps and extensive cast interviews.
Char Aznable wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:48 pm This whole thing is disappointing on a massive scale, and getting it was a mistake. It’s a cash grab. I’m getting my money back one way or another. If I have to do a chargeback, then I’ll sell it off disclosing the damage. Either way, done with it.
Agreed. Initially I was miffed but "okay cool" about it since at least it was something and the packaging looked nice, but this is pretty sloppy IMO and I totally don't blame you for wanting to get rid of it.
It's not sarcastic. I really liked that joke lol.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

SqueakyBoots
Beyond Newbie

Post by SqueakyBoots » Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:31 pm

KBABZ wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:02 pm Personally I think artwork used for previous packaging is fine because that's nostalgic in its own way (like Goku charging the Kamehameha all the way back on the first VHS, or the amazing art for the OG Dragon Box). Screengrabs through doesn't make any sense unless they're cel scans, which the OG Dragon Box did, albeit as a supplement to the detailed disc episode recaps and extensive cast interviews.
Can only go by what I've seen so far in YouTube unboxing videos but they looked like promotional cel scans to me.

I don't think the art book should really be compared to the visual history book because that's a more manga focused art book (with a small sample of Battle of Gods at the end) while this book is an anime focused one. Each have different things to offer and I would enjoy having both in my collection.

Char Aznable wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:48 pm EDIT - FUNi emailed back, basically saying that I can request replacements. I’m going to have to make clear that I do not want another set in cardboard sleeves sent, almost half the discs have some sort of scratching, and at this point I’m just going to ask for the refund and be done with it.
Explain to them why cardboard sleeves are bad for discs and how they can't guarantee that a replacement set wouldn't have scratched discs as well. That and they probably don't have that many extra sets they could send out if this were a common problem.

Char Aznable
Regular

Post by Char Aznable » Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:40 pm

SqueakyBoots wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:31 pm
Char Aznable wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:48 pm EDIT - FUNi emailed back, basically saying that I can request replacements. I’m going to have to make clear that I do not want another set in cardboard sleeves sent, almost half the discs have some sort of scratching, and at this point I’m just going to ask for the refund and be done with it.
Explain to them why cardboard sleeves are bad for discs and how they can't guarantee that a replacement set wouldn't have scratched discs as well. That and they probably don't have that many extra sets they could send out if this were a common problem.
I'm flat out asking for a refund at this point. They asked me to tell them how many discs are scratched, so I went through each one to check for light to heavy scratching and in all a whopping 20 out of 37 discs were scratched, or 54% of the set.

Nah, I'm done here, this is where I get off. If they want to bring these back as replacements for their widescreen season sets in proper cases for a discount price I'll give it another look, but I feel I've been had and there's no coming back from that.

EDIT - If anyone's interested, FUNi asked me to send pictures so I wanted to share the album I made for them here: https://imgur.com/a/uy6rbL7

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:56 pm

Char Aznable wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:40 pm I'm flat out asking for a refund at this point. They asked me to tell them how many discs are scratched, so I went through each one to check for light to heavy scratching and in all a whopping 20 out of 37 discs were scratched, or 54% of the set.
If this is a hopefully (okay, that phrasing is weird) common issue this will convince Funimation to never package their products like this again. Both with brown paper and the cardboard sleeves. You're not exactly buying AOL install CDs here.

Now if only Widescreen and anti-DRM were that easy...

Char Aznable
Regular

Post by Char Aznable » Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:59 pm

KBABZ wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:56 pm
Char Aznable wrote: Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:40 pm I'm flat out asking for a refund at this point. They asked me to tell them how many discs are scratched, so I went through each one to check for light to heavy scratching and in all a whopping 20 out of 37 discs were scratched, or 54% of the set.
If this is a hopefully (okay, that phrasing is weird) common issue this will convince Funimation to never package their products like this again. Both with brown paper and the cardboard sleeves. You're not exactly buying AOL install CDs here.

Now if only Widescreen and anti-DRM were that easy...
I tacked on a note at the end that if they want to reintroduce 4:3 DBZ as a replacement to the current season sets as a standard release in regular cases I'd happily take another look at it because I'm not interested in widescreen Blu-rays, but this set with its cardboard sleeves needs to go back.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:05 am

Someone settle an argument. Anyone remember how many preorders of this abomination of a release the counter hit before the preorder period ended? I don't remember them hitting much passed 4,500, yet I've got someone saying they saw it hit 6,000. I remember the counter slowly counted down for the initial 3,000, then went even slower for the next 3,000 & didn't even hit the total number.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:07 am

Scsigs wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:05 am Someone settle an argument. Anyone remember how many preorders of this abomination of a release the counter hit before the preorder period ended? I don't remember them hitting much passed 4,500, yet I've got someone saying they saw it hit 6,000. I remember the counter slowly counted down for the initial 3,000, then went even slower for the next 3,000 & didn't even hit the total number.
I for sure don't recall it hitting 6,000, that was just the cap after they hit 3K. 4,500 sounds right to me.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:11 am

KBABZ wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:07 am
Scsigs wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:05 am Someone settle an argument. Anyone remember how many preorders of this abomination of a release the counter hit before the preorder period ended? I don't remember them hitting much passed 4,500, yet I've got someone saying they saw it hit 6,000. I remember the counter slowly counted down for the initial 3,000, then went even slower for the next 3,000 & didn't even hit the total number.
I for sure don't recall it hitting 6,000, that was just the cap after they hit 3K. 4,500 sounds right to me.
I feel like this + cancelations also got sent to the UK run since it's A/B friendly

Rschaosmasters reveiw https://youtu.be/9gmmHOnDSn4