Funimation's 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Tylerman29
Beyond Newbie

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by Tylerman29 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:28 am

The rest went to funimation staff to scalp on Ebay 😂. Is anyone actually buying them for $1000 on there yet?
DB, Z, and GT subbed are my "canon".
SSJ4 > Any transformation in Super.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:48 am

Tylerman29 wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:28 am The rest went to funimation staff to scalp on Ebay 😂. Is anyone actually buying them for $1000 on there yet?
I fucking hope not. I'm sticking with Kai for now. Problems aside with looking soft & some of the redrawn/rotoscoped scenes, it's still the best Z has looked on Blu-Ray.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Tylerman29
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tylerman29 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:14 am

Just checked and a few have gone for $800 but the majority are around the $600 range. Honestly if you are already spending 800 might as well and just lay down an extra bit for the dragon boxes..but who knows..could be collectors that somehow missed that this release was a thing.
Scsigs wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:48 amI fucking hope not. I'm sticking with Kai for now. Problems aside with looking soft & some of the redrawn/rotoscoped scenes, it's still the best Z has looked on Blu-Ray.
As far as the non redrawn stuff yeah its probably the best Z will ever look (the redraws do stand out in a bad way sometimes though). The butchering of Kikuchi placement and selection after the scandal, and TFC crop and tint really hold it back from being the perfect experience of Z..but I guess we will never really get what we want.

At the end of the day, I just wanna pop in Z for the occasional Faulconer nostalgia cheese trip of certain scenes, original JP experience, and just to own the original show in some form. So for me this set is worth having.
DB, Z, and GT subbed are my "canon".
SSJ4 > Any transformation in Super.

rs_chaosmaster
Regular

Post by rs_chaosmaster » Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:05 am

eledoremassis02 wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:11 am
KBABZ wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:07 am
Scsigs wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:05 am Someone settle an argument. Anyone remember how many preorders of this abomination of a release the counter hit before the preorder period ended? I don't remember them hitting much passed 4,500, yet I've got someone saying they saw it hit 6,000. I remember the counter slowly counted down for the initial 3,000, then went even slower for the next 3,000 & didn't even hit the total number.
I for sure don't recall it hitting 6,000, that was just the cap after they hit 3K. 4,500 sounds right to me.
I feel like this + cancelations also got sent to the UK run since it's A/B friendly

Rschaosmasters reveiw https://youtu.be/9gmmHOnDSn4
I never reviewed it yet this is just my typical home media comparison. Ill be doing my review in the future after watching some episodes. At this point the best i could give the set is a 6.5/10.

Terez
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Terez » Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:13 am

Tylerman29 wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:14 am Just checked and a few have gone for $800 but the majority are around the $600 range.
I'm convinced that most of those listings were from the same person who probably only has one set and they're making high listings and "selling" them to themselves to keep the asking price high. It doesn't make a lick of sense for 4 sets to sell for $650-950 when the $500 mint set is still listed.

Terez
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Terez » Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:06 am

idk, I don't use eBay much, and when I do, it's always at the "buy now" price. I don't do auctions; I don't have the patience or the instincts for that shit. So there's an auction on the $500 set, $500 just being an open bid. No one has bid; no one is watching. Seller appears to ship only to the US, which might be a factor, but only if you don't know that proxy shipping exists. It can be expensive, but probably nowhere $150 (the minimum differential).

I expected $500 would be an easy resell price just based on the number of people who seemed sad they missed out on the opportunity to order, and there were also a lot of people outside the US who wanted it, but I'm not surprised to see it go higher. I just didn't think so many people would start so high and it struck me as very shady. The set with the running auction (starting bid $500) went up well after the listings for over $1000.

bigray
Beyond Newbie

Post by bigray » Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:12 am

Scsigs wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:05 am Someone settle an argument. Anyone remember how many preorders of this abomination of a release the counter hit before the preorder period ended? I don't remember them hitting much passed 4,500, yet I've got someone saying they saw it hit 6,000. I remember the counter slowly counted down for the initial 3,000, then went even slower for the next 3,000 & didn't even hit the total number.
Ah this is so weird! I was saying the same thing where I thought it hit 6000 but they were saying it didnt

Terez
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Terez » Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:21 am

bigray wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:12 am
Ah this is so weird! I was saying the same thing where I thought it hit 6000 but they were saying it didnt
Up to 3000, the number was orders/6000. After they hit 3000, the number was remaining/6000. There were still well over 1000 remaining when the deadline hit, but they changed the number to 0/6000 immediately because availability was moot.

bigray
Beyond Newbie

Post by bigray » Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:58 am

Terez wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:21 am
bigray wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:12 am
Up to 3000, the number was orders/6000. After they hit 3000, the number was remaining/6000. There were still well over 1000 remaining when the deadline hit, but they changed the number to 0/6000 immediately because availability was moot.
Why are people paying $800 on eBay if they didn't even sell out? Or did Funi only make the orders and not the total 6000?

Also the cardboard sleeves suck! I don't have my set yet but they did the same thing with the collected works of Hayao miyazaki Blu ray set. You've gotta pinch the disc on both sides to get it out. It's kinda cool how the have artwork inside the case instead of clear plastic but it's a little impractical

Plague-Memories
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Plague-Memories » Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:17 am

I find it hard to feel bad for anyone who paid for this getting a subpar product when we’ve been saying it’s just that since it was announced, but i hope you at least get a full refund for this piece of shit.

Gdugz
Beyond Newbie

Post by Gdugz » Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:35 am

So i just found a link to episode 1 on twitter, it looks about the way i expected, would have liked if the link was the Japanese audio so i could have judged that aswell. But yeah not impressed with the video quality. I would rate it slightly above the season sets but any chance of me buying this is gone now, I will just stick to what I have.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:38 am

bigray wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:58 am Why are people paying $800 on eBay if they didn't even sell out? Or did Funi only make the orders and not the total 6000?
Yeah, they only made as many as were ordered, just like the Dragon Boxes.

(that and the fact that it's Dragon Ball are the only two comparisons you could make between those two products...)

Terez
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Terez » Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:44 am

KBABZ wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:38 am
bigray wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:58 am Why are people paying $800 on eBay if they didn't even sell out? Or did Funi only make the orders and not the total 6000?
They made the full 6000. They just didn’t allow any orders after the deadline. 750 of the remaining are going to the UK; the rest will be scalped at cons.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:49 am

Terez wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:44 am
They made the full 6000. They just didn’t allow any orders after the deadline. 750 of the remaining are going to the UK; the rest will be scalped at cons.
Link??

VDenter

Post by VDenter » Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:09 am

Plague-Memories wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:17 am I find it hard to feel bad for anyone who paid for this getting a subpar product when we’ve been saying it’s just that since it was announced, but i hope you at least get a full refund for this piece of shit.
Might sound harsh but same here. If so many were screaming to me "DON'T BUY THIS!" then i wouldn't really have anyone but myself to blame if i bought set item. But yes anyone should get a refund if the discs are badly damaged.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:13 am

Hard to believe it will even hit the 750 minimum for the UK considering the smaller population, no shipping to Ireland and the fact once the conversion is done the UK set is significantly more expensive than the US one. It's also not due for release until November 25th so for anyone worried about scratched discs there's still time to cancel your pre order. Very good chance Manga UK will repackage it into smaller collections at some point.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Terez
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Terez » Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:26 am

KBABZ wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:49 am
Link??
Here's the announcement where MangaUK said they got 750. Seeing as how that's about half of what Funimation had remaining (out of the max 6000), seems safe to assume they printed the rest and they're going to scalp them in the future, as they do.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:42 am

Terez wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:26 am Here's the announcement where MangaUK said they got 750. Seeing as how that's about half of what Funimation had remaining (out of the max 6000), seems safe to assume they printed the rest and they're going to scalp them in the future, as they do.
Ah! Okay, thanks for the infor.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:02 am

VDenter wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:09 am
Plague-Memories wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:17 am I find it hard to feel bad for anyone who paid for this getting a subpar product when we’ve been saying it’s just that since it was announced, but i hope you at least get a full refund for this piece of shit.
Might sound harsh but same here. If so many were screaming to me "DON'T BUY THIS!" then i wouldn't really have anyone but myself to blame if i bought set item. But yes anyone should get a refund if the discs are badly damaged.
Except people aren't complaining about the video quality, which is the only thing that everyone was screaming, "Don't buy this!" to. I don't remember anyone screaming, "Hey the packaging will be subpar and it'll scratch the discs!" or, "Don't buy this because they'll package it so horribly that the set will have scuffles on it!"

Once again, blaming the fans who just wanted a freaking 4:3 complete set. As I said before -- that's pathetic.

Not everyone has the Dragon Boxes and not everyone wants to download a pirated version. So what are those fans to do? But hey, as long as you didn't buy this set, I guess you don't have to feel bad for anyone, huh? I guess I shouldn't feel bad for anyone that didn't get the Dragon Boxes as they were released either and just say things like, "Well you should've bought it when you had the chance like I did!"

Come on, enough with the fan shaming. "Err why'd you buy it?" Because they wanted to. Doesn't mean they did anything wrong and it doesn't mean that they deserve this for their money.

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:17 am

TheGreatness25 wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:02 am
VDenter wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:09 am
Except people aren't complaining about tree video quality, which is the only thing that everyone was screaming, "Don't buy this!" to. I don't remember anyone screaming, "Hey the packaging will be subpar and it'll scratch the discs!" or, "Don't buy this because they'll package it so horribly that the set will have scuffles on it!"

Once again, blaming the fans who just wanted a freaking 4:3 complete set. As I said before -- that's pathetic.

Now everyone has the Dragon Boxes and not everyone wants to download a pirated version. So what are those fans to do? But hey, as long as you didn't buy this set, I guess you don't have to feel bad for anyone, huh? I guess I shouldn't feel bad for anyone that didn't get the Dragon Boxes as they were released either and just say things like, "Well you should've bought it when you had the chance!"

Come on, enough with the fan shaming. "Err why'd you buy it?" Because they wanted to. Doesn't mean they did anything wrong and it doesn't mean that they deserve this for their money.
It can actually be applied to everything, there is so many subpar releases, or stuff like 100$ subscription for Fallout 76, because they are people who buy it, if it didnt make money, companies would care more.

I understand fans want 4:3 sets and DBoxes sadly turned out to be limited release (And even if they werent, if you were dub fan and Faulconer music, then this set wouldnt be for you...) but that doesn't mean you should accept crappy release. If only it had at least Broadcast audio, then maybe i would think about it, but as of now..t.hank god for fan edits that did better job than official release...
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015