Funimation's 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by TheGreatness25 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:27 pm

ect5150 wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:02 pm
DHM211 wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:20 pm Can anyone who has this set posts some screencaps from episode 34? I happen to have the level version of that episode on my pc and would like to compare them.
I'd be glad to as soon as it arrives. When I check the tracking number via FedEx, it looks like it's in limbo. Did this happen for the rest of you guys?

Thursday , 10/31/2019 9:00 am
Shipment information sent to FedEx

That's all it shows me except it said the anticipated arrival date was yesterday.
Same exact story. I was expecting it today, but I guess we'll see

Tylerman29
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tylerman29 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:36 pm

ect5150 wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:02 pm I'd be glad to as soon as it arrives. When I check the tracking number via FedEx, it looks like it's in limbo. Did this happen for the rest of you guys?

That's all it shows me except it said the anticipated arrival date was yesterday.
Mine just says this:
This tracking number cannot be found, please check the number or contact the sender.

So I have no idea whats going on...
DB, Z, and GT subbed are my "canon".
SSJ4 > Any transformation in Super.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:43 pm

VDenter wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:17 pm I know but i don't think we are at that point yet. Call me crazy but i think there will still be a sizeable market for physical media for at least another 10-15 years. Sure DBZ will be available for streaming but there will always bee those who want to own the show.
It's very niche, and as I said buying whole entire seasons that was is very much not popular.
Brangeta wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:03 pm KBABZ -- I really like the blue DB bricks and like the yellow DBGT bricks well enough as well, if that is what you're referring to. The orange bricks have been ok over the years, but I've never been thrilled by them. I originally owned season 1 of the widescreen blu ray set, and hated it so much I immediately sold it on ebay. Thanks for the info about the Dragon Box! I've never owned any of those sets. They're too expensive on the used market for me to justify. Not to take this too far off topic, but if DB was released on blu ray, I'd have to think long and hard about buying it. The blue bricks are really a fantastic way to own the series. For my purposes, it looks good enough on a 43" 4K TV. The orange bricks though... ehhhh... they are only "fine" in comparison on that size.
Oops, I suppose I should have clarified that the Blu-Bricks are the DBZ Blu-Rays that came out in 2009 (Blu-Ray, Blu-Bricks, geddit??), while the Blue Bricks are the OG DB ones.

I think the Dragon Ball Blue Bricks are fine (awful colour grading though) while the GT ones are actually REALLY good, managing to strike a nice balance between grain removal and keeping things sharp and detailed. Of course the main difference is that Funimation got the Dragon Box scans for that one.

I got my Dragon Box in As-New condition from Amazon Japan and used Tenso to get it to me in NZ. I can't play it due to regioning (solved with ripping the DVDs) but I'm super happy with it.

Gdugz
Beyond Newbie

Post by Gdugz » Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:50 pm

So I am home now comparing the first episode to the level set.

The opening looks slightly better in the 30th anniversary in my opinion.

The actual episode itself is better on the level sets but in all honesty I don't think the new set looks unwatchable.

In comparison to the previous season set Blu Ray I think this new set is far better. The backgrounds have a slight bit more grain to them which prevents it looking as smudgey as the season sets.

I am in no way an expert on picture quality but if I did not have the dragon boxes I would be ordering this right away.

SSJGAffleck
Not-So-Newbie

Post by SSJGAffleck » Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:57 pm

KBABZ wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:43 pm
Oops, I suppose I should have clarified that the Blu-Bricks are the DBZ Blu-Rays that came out in 2009 (Blu-Ray, Blu-Bricks, geddit??), while the Blue Bricks are the OG DB ones.

Just letting you know, as to not cause further confusion, Level Sets came out in 2011, Blu Ray Season Set were 2013-2014 and the Funi DBoxes were 2009-2011.
"Your father was an average fighter, but a bRiLlIaNt sCiEnTIsT!"- Brian Drummond's pitch-perfect voice

SuperSaiyanPan
Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperSaiyanPan » Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:59 pm

Tylerman29 wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:36 pm
ect5150 wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:02 pm I'd be glad to as soon as it arrives. When I check the tracking number via FedEx, it looks like it's in limbo. Did this happen for the rest of you guys?

Mine just says this:
This tracking number cannot be found, please check the number or contact the sender.

I had the same issue because they sent out the Airport Label number instead of the actual tracking number. Message https://twitter.com/FunimationHelp

They got back to me with my actual tracking number

SSJGAffleck
Not-So-Newbie

Post by SSJGAffleck » Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:00 pm

I think the Dragon Ball Blue Bricks are fine (awful colour grading though) while the GT ones are actually REALLY good, managing to strike a nice balance between grain removal and keeping things sharp and detailed. Of course the main difference is that Funimation got the Dragon Box scans for that one.

I also have to disagree with this as I personally think that the Green Bricks look like a blurry mess and the GT Singles are far closer to the GT DBox in quality.
"Your father was an average fighter, but a bRiLlIaNt sCiEnTIsT!"- Brian Drummond's pitch-perfect voice

Tylerman29
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tylerman29 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:05 pm

Gdugz wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:50 pm So I am home now comparing the first episode to the level set.

The actual episode itself is better on the level sets but in all honesty I don't think the new set looks unwatchable.

In comparison to the previous season set Blu Ray I think this new set is far better. The backgrounds have a slight bit more grain to them which prevents it looking as smudgey as the season sets.

I am in no way an expert on picture quality but if I did not have the dragon boxes I would be ordering this right away.
OMG some positivity! How refreshing. I think its a very significant improvement over the season sets. People saying its "horrible" or "season sets but 4:3 so it's trash" are not really being fair. Take the bias and resentment out of the equation and its a mediocre release. Yes, its lazily thrown together, but I didn't expect much else at the price they were asking for 300 episodes. If this was a $500-$600 set with this remaster and sleeve design you bet I would be getting the pitchforks. I see this release as a "Collectors Edition" version of the season set blu rays with a step up in presentation..nothing more than that. Should we have better..yeah..of course, but FUNi doesn't see the profit margin on going the level set route and that's unfortunate. I doubt we will get another release for a while..I rather they just move on to re-releasing and milking their other dragon ball products (Movies, specials, OG DB, GT, hell even repacks of super). DBZ needs to be left alone for a while.
DB, Z, and GT subbed are my "canon".
SSJ4 > Any transformation in Super.

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:06 pm

SSJGAffleck wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:00 pm

I also have to disagree with this as I personally think that the Green Bricks look like a blurry mess and the GT Singles are far closer to the GT DBox in quality.
Yeah they really are - aside from the fact the singles are interlaced and have a low bitrate they compare very favourably to the Japanese Dragon Box GT release. The green bricks look pretty lousy by comparison.

SqueakyBoots
Beyond Newbie

Post by SqueakyBoots » Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:12 pm

To anyone that has their set already. Does the dub with Kikuchi audio track use Cha-La Head Cha-La for the OP animation or is it that generic guitar instrumental track? The season sets apparently had the guitar track even though the Dragon Boxes got it right.

Gdugz
Beyond Newbie

Post by Gdugz » Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:13 pm

Tylerman29 wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:05 pm
Gdugz wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:50 pm So I am home now comparing the first episode to the level set.

OMG some positivity! How refreshing. I think its a very significant improvement over the season sets. People saying its "horrible" or "season sets but 4:3 so it's trash" are not really being fair. Take the bias and resentment out of the equation and its a mediocre release. Yes, its lazily thrown together, but I didn't expect much else at the price they were asking for 300 episodes. If this was a $500-$600 set with this remaster and sleeve design you bet I would be getting the pitchforks. I see this release as a "Collectors Edition" version of the season set blu rays with a step up in presentation..nothing more than that. Should we have better..yeah..of course, but FUNi doesn't see the profit margin on going the level set route and that's unfortunate. I doubt we will get another release for a while..I rather they just move on to re-releasing and milking their other dragon ball products (Movies, specials, OG DB, GT, hell even repacks of super). DBZ needs to be left alone for a while.
a lot of people are basing their opinions on the screenshots and stuff that are being posted. It's hard to judge this from the screenshots as I can say that watching it on the tv it looks better than any screenshots or clips I've seen. It's not much better but it is better.

Gdugz
Beyond Newbie

Post by Gdugz » Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:13 pm

SqueakyBoots wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:12 pm To anyone that has their set already. Does the dub with Kikuchi audio track use Cha-La Head Cha-La for the OP animation or is it that generic guitar instrumental track? The season sets apparently had the guitar track even though the Dragon Boxes got it right.
It's the generic guitar.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:14 pm

Tylerman29 wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:05 pm

OMG some positivity! How refreshing. I think its a very significant improvement over the season sets. People saying its "horrible" or "season sets but 4:3 so it's trash" are not really being fair. Take the bias and resentment out of the equation and its a mediocre release.
I'm quite interested in how some later episodes look and if there's been any that were framed well (particularly the early Namek episodes that were only available uncut in 4:3 on the Dragon Boxes) and not cropped horrendously on all sides like that shot of Piccolo from Episode 1.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

SSJGAffleck
Not-So-Newbie

Post by SSJGAffleck » Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:14 pm

And of course, the GT Singles include the Next Episode Previews and Japanese Title cards. So people who do own this 30th Anniversary set do they have NEP and Japanese Title Cards?

SuperSaiyanPan
Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperSaiyanPan » Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:23 pm

To those of you who received your set, did you get it without the tracker updating, meaning it arrived while it said it hasn't shipped yet? Currently mine says label printed and that it should arrive by end of day on the 7th.
Last edited by SuperSaiyanPan on Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SqueakyBoots
Beyond Newbie

Post by SqueakyBoots » Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:27 pm

Gdugz wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:13 pm
SqueakyBoots wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:12 pm To anyone that has their set already. Does the dub with Kikuchi audio track use Cha-La Head Cha-La for the OP animation or is it that generic guitar instrumental track? The season sets apparently had the guitar track even though the Dragon Boxes got it right.
It's the generic guitar.
Of course. And all they had to do to fix that was swap the audio tracks with the ones from the Dragon Box sets.

Gdugz
Beyond Newbie

Post by Gdugz » Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:37 pm

SqueakyBoots wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:27 pm
It's the generic guitar.
Of course. And all they had to do to fix that was swap the audio tracks with the ones from the Dragon Box sets.
Didn't they tweak the audio on the season set Blu rays? They probably think that audio is superior so just went with that

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:55 pm

Sorry if these are late. I wrote these a bit ago, but forgot to hit "submit."
TheGreatness25 wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:02 am
Except people aren't complaining about the video quality, which is the only thing that everyone was screaming, "Don't buy this!" to. I don't remember anyone screaming, "Hey the packaging will be subpar and it'll scratch the discs!" or, "Don't buy this because they'll package it so horribly that the set will have scuffles on it!"

Once again, blaming the fans who just wanted a freaking 4:3 complete set. As I said before -- that's pathetic.

Not everyone has the Dragon Boxes and not everyone wants to download a pirated version. So what are those fans to do? But hey, as long as you didn't buy this set, I guess you don't have to feel bad for anyone, huh? I guess I shouldn't feel bad for anyone that didn't get the Dragon Boxes as they were released either and just say things like, "Well you should've bought it when you had the chance like I did!"

Come on, enough with the fan shaming. "Err why'd you buy it?" Because they wanted to. Doesn't mean they did anything wrong and it doesn't mean that they deserve this for their money.
I mean, here's the thing, no one was expecting the discs to be packaged in booklets in cardboard sleeves. FUNi didn't share ANY details on the packaging of the show in this release before the preorder period ended or before release. The video showing off the designs they had mocked up showed NOTHING about these things either, just the pictures. Hell, they could've just used larger BR cases for all WE knew & that would've been enough with the episodes printed on the inside of the cases like every other release these guys do for their other properties. That would've been enough, but they didn't.
coola wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:17 am It can actually be applied to everything, there is so many subpar releases, or stuff like 100$ subscription for Fallout 76, because they are people who buy it, if it didn't make money, companies would care more.

I understand fans want 4:3 sets and DBoxes sadly turned out to be limited release (And even if they weren't, if you were dub fan and Faulconer music, then this set wouldn't be for you...) but that doesn't mean you should accept crappy release. If only it had at least Broadcast audio, then maybe i would think about it, but as of now..t.hank god for fan edits that did better job than official release...
Fallout 76, however, is getting less love from the majority of the Fallout fanbase than this set is from the DBZ fanbase, though. I'm just wondering what'll finally get the last few remaining stragglers of the Z fanbase that will actually accept terrible remasters to break like 76 did for the Fallout fanbase. There are actual people who HATE that people point out the terribleness of the remasters or don't actually mind the way they look, even though they're legitimately bad. What will it take to convince them that the people have the right to complain & that FUNi, when it comes to DBZ, isn't worth supporting until they give an actual remaster over a filtered mess.
KBABZ wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:43 pm Oops, I suppose I should have clarified that the Blu-Bricks are the DBZ Blu-Rays that came out in 2009 (Blu-Ray, Blu-Bricks, geddit??), while the Blue Bricks are the OG DB ones.

I got my Dragon Box in As-New condition from Amazon Japan and used Tenso to get it to me in NZ. I can't play it due to regioning (solved with ripping the DVDs) but I'm super happy with it.
The first Z Blu-Rays came out in late 2013 & in 2014.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

ect5150
Advanced Regular

Post by ect5150 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:30 pm

SuperSaiyanPan wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:59 pm
Tylerman29 wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:36 pm

Mine just says this:

I had the same issue because they sent out the Airport Label number instead of the actual tracking number. Message https://twitter.com/FunimationHelp

They got back to me with my actual tracking number
I don't do Twitter. All that matters is that it's on the way. If some of you are in the same boat, then it's probably on the way.
ect5150
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.
DB DBox color corrections & DBox color corrections.

SqueakyBoots
Beyond Newbie

Post by SqueakyBoots » Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:51 pm

Gdugz wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:37 pm
SqueakyBoots wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:27 pm

It's the generic guitar.
Didn't they tweak the audio on the season set Blu rays? They probably think that audio is superior so just went with that
I thought that was just for the Japanese audio.