Funimation's 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

simtek34
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by simtek34 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:53 pm

SuperSaiyanPan wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:22 pm What the hell happened to Nathan Johnson's music in this set? The recap is now using Mark Menza from GT.

Apparently the Recap music used from the UUEs and the Orange Bricks aren't in this one? :cry:

So instead of this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bfHw1Jf07Q

It's using one I can't even find on YouTube. Super Sad! Other than that my box came in pristine condition with Authenticity number 2505.

Aside from what people are saying I think the video and picture looks exquisite. The art book is absolutely amazing! Some really high quality animation Cel Scans in there. The figure is also just fantastic.
Do you have a clip? I believe you, seems to be an odd change, but it would be good to get video of it.

Newbie — 06/27/2016
Not-So-Newbie — ???
Beyond Newbie — ???
Beyond-The-Beyond-Newbie — 12/20/2016
Regular — 02/05/2017
OMG CRAZY REG — 06/14/2017

Xbox Live: PlushGerm24109
Everywhere else: simtek34

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:08 pm

Yeah, I agree it's definitely getting more hate than it deserves but I do understand some peoples points of not getting a proper release. I own the series several times over but in my opinion There shouldn't be a special occasion just to get a pretty good release. dang it! lol I recently just picked up Mobile Fighter G Gundam on Bluray(both sets) and God! While I was watching it I just kept thinking ''Why can't Dragonball just get a release like this were there's no sense stuff of this or that cropped or not yadda yadda. Just give us the show man! :roll:

Btw I would recommend getting G Gundam on Bluray if you're a fan of the show and own the normal dvd sets from back in the day. They're worth it!
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:49 pm

Question for those who own this. As I recall there were a handful of episodes on the season Blu-Rays that were out of focus, I believe one of these was episode 220. Is that the case here?
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Valerius Dover » Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:05 pm

SuperSaiyanPan wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:22 pm What the hell happened to Nathan Johnson's music in this set? The recap is now using Mark Menza from GT.

Apparently the Recap music used from the UUEs and the Orange Bricks aren't in this one? :cry:

It's using one I can't even find on YouTube. Super Sad! Other than that my box came in pristine condition with Authenticity number 2505.

Aside from what people are saying I think the video and picture looks exquisite. The art book is absolutely amazing! Some really high quality animation Cel Scans in there. The figure is also just fantastic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1Py3LH6EbM

Is this what you're talking about? This was apparently in the previous Blu-Ray, too, but only for the first 10 or so episodes. No idea where it came from as Johnson confirmed he didn't compose it.
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

SuperSaiyanPan
Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperSaiyanPan » Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:22 pm

Valerius Dover wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 10:05 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1Py3LH6EbM

Is this what you're talking about? This was apparently in the previous Blu-Ray, too, but only for the first 10 or so episodes. No idea where it came from as Johnson confirmed he didn't compose it.
Yes! What the fuck is that? I don't like it!

Spoofer

Post by Spoofer » Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:58 pm

Have there been anymore pics past the first episode to judge the potential cropping / aspect ratio? Is that Piccolo shot past the first? It's been so long since I last watched DBZ that I can't recall.

My set finally arrived. The packaging and art are incredibly underwhelming, especially for $375, and this is gonna be one of the cheaper looking releases on my shelf even though it's among the more expensive. Especially considering the silver foil or whatever on the box is already starting to rub off...

I imagine I'll be sticking with my Dragon Boxes, even though the DVDs look a bit aged at this point. Still better than the DNR re-grain mess of this release, IMO, and easily looks better on my shelf.

Given how long Funi took to ship the set out to me, as I mentioned before I was a little worried I might get a super high numbered certificate, but it ended up being below 100. 69, to be exact..... If I end up flipping the set, I wonder if that # will hurt or help its resale value, heh... Maybe some kinky collector will find it amusing... :lol:

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:42 am

What upsets me the most about the clips is you can see a facsimile of what could've been the PERFECT release. If they hadn't smeared it to shit and actually fixed the film damage everyone would be happy and they probably would've sold them faster even at a higher price.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:43 am

Oh it's time -- it's time for a screenshot bomb! Plenty more to come and requests will be considered. I know lots of people want to see screenshots from the later episodes and I'm definitely going to put those up soon. These were chosen because they have the most to compare to between the Ultimate Uncut, Pioneer singles, Rock the Dragon set, and most importantly, the Level Sets! I also put spoilers inside the spoilers to make it easier to compare the particular releases that you want to compare instead of having all of them open at the same time.

Lets discuss what you think. Just please, keep it civilized (i.e. no bashing anyone for getting these). Enjoy!

EPISODE 1
EPISODE 2
EPISODE 5
EPISODE 18
EPISODE 22
EPISODE 30

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:18 am

Hooray for Spoiler tags!

Wow, even on just the first one the detail has been completely destroyed. : (

jaisonas
Beyond Newbie

Post by jaisonas » Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:24 am

TheGreatness25 wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:43 am Oh it's time -- it's time for a screenshot bomb! Plenty more to come and requests will be considered. I know lots of people want to see screenshots from the later episodes and I'm definitely going to put those up soon. These were chosen because they have the most to compare to between the Ultimate Uncut, Pioneer singles, Rock the Dragon set, and most importantly, the Level Sets! I also put spoilers inside the spoilers to make it easier to compare the particular releases that you want to compare instead of having all of them open at the same time.

Lets discuss what you think. Just please, keep it civilized (i.e. no bashing anyone for getting these). Enjoy!

EPISODE 1
EPISODE 2
EPISODE 5
EPISODE 18
EPISODE 22
EPISODE 30
Well they definetely look better than the season sets thats for sure, especially color-wise. They still have that awful funimation red/blue cast but its passable. But the dnr is a nono, especially considering how good the unprocessed footage looks.
I enjoy tinkering with video and audio.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Fri Nov 08, 2019 4:42 am

TheGreatness25 wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:43 am Oh it's time -- it's time for a screenshot bomb! Plenty more to come and requests will be considered. I know lots of people want to see screenshots from the later episodes and I'm definitely going to put those up soon. These were chosen because they have the most to compare to between the Ultimate Uncut, Pioneer singles, Rock the Dragon set, and most importantly, the Level Sets! I also put spoilers inside the spoilers to make it easier to compare the particular releases that you want to compare instead of having all of them open at the same time.

EPISODE 1
EPISODE 2
EPISODE 5
EPISODE 18
EPISODE 22
EPISODE 30
The cropping honestly doesn't look too bad on the 30th set from these shots. I'm not noticing anything on the top and bottom. A bit on the sides but nothing crucial is cut out as far as I can tell.

The colours and detail though are still much closer to the season BDs than the level sets so they leave a lot to be desired.

Looks like the 30th anniversary set is a solid release but not great. If it's repackaged into smaller collections, which end up more around the price range of the 9 season Blu-Rays I'd say it would be the release to get for anyone who doesn't own DBZ.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

LettuceJUMP
Beyond Newbie

Post by LettuceJUMP » Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:32 am

EPISODE 1
EPISODE 2
EPISODE 5
EPISODE 18
EPISODE 22
EPISODE 30
Thank you for doing all of this work. I know there are plenty of complaints about DNR, slight cropping and bad packaging....but putting that aside, this release is the best full HD release yet. It is light years about the orange bricks and Blu-ray season sets. It is superior to Kai's soft look and 16:9 buu chapters. And frankly, I like it better than the dragon box, which is still standard definition and looks awful on my 75" screen. My set is coming in the mail today and I am very excited based on your comparisons and what I have seen so far. Again, it's not perfect and next to the level sets, I am jealous of that beautiful grain, but this will do. Atleast I have a watchable 4:3 Blu-ray release. Hooray!

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:57 am

I'm not very well-versed in what to look out for with DNR and stuff -- to me, it's just down to colors. I know about blurring the clouds and stuff. But upon first impression, it's a lot sharper and bolder than I thought it would be.

I don't think they look bad at all. But again, I wouldn't really know what to look for. Let me put it this way: if it was playing on a TV somewhere, I wouldn't say that it looks bad at all. But as I know very little about what makes for good video, I'll bow out of that conversation.

Actually, in going through the previous releases, I realize just how atrocious most of the DVDs look. ESPECIALLY the orange bricks. Trust me, comparing a screenshot of its original size to what it looked like blown up across my screen, that screenshot looks like a Godsend. The orange bricks looked absolutely disgusting fullscreen on my laptop. I was very impressed with how nicely the Dragon Box held up, especially compared to Funimation's other releases.

Mine arrived without damage... but the packaging is so terrible, that I might accidentally damage it myself. The paper sleeves are a terrible idea to start. Any time you have to pinch the disc from both sides, is a bad idea. That bad idea is compounded by the fact that the sleeves are so tight and stiff, that I found myself having trouble pulling the discs out and putting them back in. I really felt like I might tear those stupid sleeves trying to get the discs out. It's really terrible. I had to wipe each disc that I pulled out because my fingerprints ended up on every single one. It's horrible.

Also, this thing is tiny. It's the very definition of underwhelming. It doesn't feel special at all -- more like a regular box-set that you could pick up at a local Wal-Mart where it's advertising "The Complete Series!" for $79.99.

I didn't open the figure, I forgot about the book, looked at the certificate for a second, and that's that.

So, my mentality would never allow me to put the discs into something that they weren't originally meant to be in. But, the good news is that I plan to just rip these into my external HDD and put them away like every other release that I have. It's so amazing how much easier this process is when all of the footage was ripped into my external. And don't worry about that fact making my screenshots inaccurate -- I didn't use any sort of software that distorts them. A program unlocked the discs and it was a straight copy and paste. I meticulously made sure that there was zero quality loss (all DVD screenshots are from VOB files and the Blu-ray screenshots are from M2TS files).

The burning process I used keeps the DVDs' menus, but that didn't work for the Blu-rays. Instead, it just kind of starts up from the first episode on the disc and I have to control all of the subtitle/audio features through MPC or VLC or whatever it's playing on. There is a video file for the menu, so it plays the video that's in the background, but there aren't any interactive controls. Also, the menu from the discs themselves didn't pop up, so I actually haven't seen what the menu even looks like yet. I'll try to get some menu screenshots for you guys.

More to come!

Tylerman29
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tylerman29 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:40 am

I wanna live in the alternate timeline where the level sets weren’t cancelled. They are gorgeous..maybe the 4K release.
DB, Z, and GT subbed are my "canon".
SSJ4 > Any transformation in Super.

Rory
I Live Here

Post by Rory » Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:29 am

Thanks for the image comparisons, these are real helpful.
Well here we are, with another sub-par release of the series. This really is rough to look at, just look at all that detail in the background of the first shot, it looks like a Photoshop filter has been ran over it.
Along with line art also being totally blob-ified, the areas where lighting meets shading are really hard to look at. What was once nice, curved folds on Gokuu's clothing have turned into these sharp, again, Photoshopped looking points of colour contrast.
I guess in the age of ' push button to """remaster"""" ' this is what we should expect from the series going forward. It's such a damn shame.

lansing
Beyond Newbie

Post by lansing » Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:40 am

Oh god not 60+ png files on the same page, rip mobile data users, this is costly

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:46 am

Brangeta wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:51 pm Listen to the people who say they own it and have spent more than 30 minutes watching it. Most of us are liking it quite a lot. :)
Wait, so the minority of people who didn't think this was shit when the first trailers and images came out, and decided they would shell out the $350 Funi were asking for, have reasonably confident in their opinion that it isn't shit, and was worth shelling out $350 for?

Stop the presses, everyone! :P

Seriously, if you saw the early stuff on this and didn't understand the hate, and you haven't been convinced so far, you're never going to understand it. Nothing that was complained about has been fixed to any satisfactory degree, and just because a bunch of people who didn't have a problem with it originally still don't have a problem with it, that doesn't mean any of the complaints have gone, or should go, away.

Ultimately, this is still a pretty shit release; the DNR means it has less picture detail than the crappy (but less crappy than every other release so they're put on a pedastel) Dragon Boxes, the sharpening on top of that ruins the texture of the image and artifically creates an illusion that it still has some semblance of detail, the audio is literally just copied straight from the Season BDs, probably the video is too, from their masters of the BDs just before they did the crop; all they'll have done is applied a slight adjustment to the colour grade, and after all the complaints, put a fake, light grain layer on top of the picture to give the illusion that the people complaining don't have a point. And they charged 4500 people $350 for this awful, cheap cash-in.
Even though the OBs and Season BDs are arguably worse, that's because they're about as bad as a release of the show could get. Almost anything is an upgrade over that.

So, don't pretend the people hating on this release don't have a point. The remastering is still the same as what we saw on the Season BDs, Funi still teased us with the raw scans that would have actually made a good release, but which they're pointedly not giving us. They still charged $350 for this release, no doubt with huge profit margins on that, and this whole thing is a very cleverly-engineered situation that can only mean Funi's ridiculous narrative wins; either the fans didn't buy them enough therefore they will be saying 4:3 releases aren't popular (which happened, so we're stuck with that now), or the fans buy them enough that they can continue to deceptively claim that ugly, over-DNR'd releases sell well (which happened, so we're still stuck with that too).
Last edited by Robo4900 on Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:55 am

Robo4900 wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:46 am
Brangeta wrote: Thu Nov 07, 2019 7:51 pm Listen to the people who say they own it and have spent more than 30 minutes watching it. Most of us are liking it quite a lot. :)
Wait, so the people who originally didn't think this was shit and decided to shell out $350, have remained strong in their opinion that it isn't shit and was worth shelling out $350 for?

Stop the presses, everyone! :P
Yeah I kinda agree here. We were lucky (with MASSIVE quotes since it should be standard to know what the product will look like before we buy it) to get previews of the final footage, and anybody who didn't like the Orange Bricks or anything Funi's mastering department has been doing since 2005 will have skipped on this anyway. This is people who like Avocado saying to other Avocado lovers to not listen to Avocado haters.

The main point is that while this set looks above serviceable, it isn't an accurate presentation of what the footage is supposed to look like (ie not watercoloured with globulous outlines) and that's the killer. Especially since neither Funimation or Toei have any intention of taking the time and money to do it properly even once and would rather spend a month or two applying an automatic filter over it and calling it a day. That this is a limited super ultra anniversary release just makes this look even more ridiculous because it's antithetical to the occasion and they couldn't be bothered to step up for it, which shows how much they really care about the work. Classic DBZ is just marketing to them now and it's tragic.

Also, I'm gonna be totally honest, the new title cards flat-out suck and have no personality. I'd rather take the edgy sci-fi Toonami title cards over Arial with Bold because at least it's interesting. It's like Funimation didn't have the original font file, Photoshop replaced it with a temp one, and they didn't even notice.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:00 am

KBABZ wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:55 am The main point is that while this set looks above serviceable
Except it doesn't.
If you have absolutely zero idea about anything to do with proper presentation of video, this will probably not look too bad. That's not a good thing, though.

And, remember, THIS IS A COLLECTORS' SET. It cost $350, they produced a maximum of 6000 sets (which they didn't come close to), and yet it's bottom-of-the-barrel, lowest-common-demoninator shit. There is no excusing this. No qualifying it. This is an awful, awful, AWFUL release.
Naturally, like the Orange Bricks and Season BDs before them, there are legions of people who've spent huge amounts of money on it and will never admit they spent badly. And/or they simply have no eye for video, and don't see the problem. But that doesn't mean the set isn't shit. Never has, never will. But the only way to buy the show is via these awful, awful, AWFUL releases. So people will keep justifying any given release, and people will keep just wanting to buy the show and tolerating whatever shit they're given, for lack of a good option.

It's a frustrating, awful situation, and we shouldn't let ourselves surrender to it. This release is shit, never let yourself be swayed by the masses of people who don't see why it's shit. Remember, there are still people who literally can't tell the difference between standard-def and HD. Those people simply don't have a good eye for video, and their opinion is irrelevant. Sorry to anyone whose opinion I am calling irrelevant, but... If you'd tolerate a shit release, then you would also be fine with a good release... You'll just take whatever you're given and accept it. So your view doesn't matter. At all.
KBABZ wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:55 am Also, I'm gonna be totally honest, the new title cards flat-out suck and have no personality. It'd rather take the edgy sci-fi Toonami title cards over Arial with Bold because at least it's interesting. It's like Funimation didn't have the original font file, Photoshop replaced it with a temp one, and they didn't even notice.
Agreed.
Last edited by Robo4900 on Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:02 am

lansing wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:40 am Oh god not 60+ png files on the same page, rip mobile data users, this is costly
I mean they're all in spoilers, so I don't know how that affects your mobile data. Just don't open it. Unless it still somehow loads the images without opening up the spoiler tabs, in which case... sorry.

Don't get me wrong, I'm perfectly fine not doing any more. Just thought people wanted to see these screenshots as opposed to Youtube videos or the same image floating around of hunched over Piccolo.