Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
Rory
I Live Here
Posts: 2669
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2006 5:15 pm
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by Rory » Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:31 pm

Taku128 wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 3:27 pm
idk this smeary watercolory mess looks abysmal to me. It's not (as) cropped and the colors don't burn my eyes, but it barely looks better than the season blu-rays.
Gotta say I feel the same. I hear a lot that Dragon Boxes look terrible on a 50+" TV, but Christ I'd pull my hair out looking at this version of the show.
LettuceJUMP wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:52 pm
Sorry if this insults someone but I’m very happy. Especially after selling the book/figure for $200.
I think whoever's insulted by your post needs to re-organise their priority list.
So (and sorry if this misrepresents people in this thread) it seems like the greatest thing this release has done, is tick enough boxes to be considered a competent release. And not competent in a vacuum, but judged on a curve against FUNi's previous track record.
Yeah, I guess it's just going to be another split in the fanbase at this point, similar to what happened when FUNi started cropping the series. Not to say your opinions are similar to that of someone who enjoys cropped footage, more to say we now have yet another divide thanks to FUNimation, as opposed to just releasing something that pleases all fans at the same time (really not as hard as it sounds, just release something that's technically adequate).
I just wish moving forward at least people on either side of the fence can see where the other side is coming from, but civility has never been a common factor when it comes to Dragon Ball related discussion. I hope you enjoy the release guys, I wouldn't ever want to take that away from you.

User avatar
Tylerman29
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 141
Joined: Tue May 23, 2017 7:43 pm
Location: Texas

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by Tylerman29 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:20 pm

This guy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQ9rorY ... ture=share shows a comparison to his DBox rip and makes the bold claim that this set is much better. Says he has a eye for video but can’t see the DNR or fake grain..interesting...he shows it at the beginning and end.

User avatar
Gdugz
Not-So-Newbie
Posts: 98
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:29 pm
Location: Ireland

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by Gdugz » Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:34 pm

Tylerman29 wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:20 pm
This guy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQ9rorY ... ture=share shows a comparison to his DBox rip and makes the bold claim that this set is much better. Says he has a eye for video but can’t see the DNR or fake grain..interesting...he shows it at the beginning and end.
I am all for this set being the best as I have it ordered, but he is comparing it to a rip of the dragon box. That is not a great rip he has either as my dragon boxes look far better than the footage he shows.

User avatar
Soppa Saia People
I Live Here
Posts: 2606
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:26 pm
Location: minnesota
Contact:

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by Soppa Saia People » Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:04 pm

lol, those look like the DBNL bootlegs of the dragon boxes, of course that "rip" is gonna look worse.
they/them pronouns
my twitter
14 year old me didn't know how to spell "Saiya"......

User avatar
KBABZ
I Live Here
Posts: 4066
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:38 pm
Location: The tallest tower in West City

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by KBABZ » Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:18 pm

Soppa Saia People wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:04 pm
lol, those look like the DBNL bootlegs of the dragon boxes, of course that "rip" is gonna look worse.
but he sed he has an eye 4 video so stfu


(obviously, I'm joking, that guy sounds like he doesn't know what he's talking about)

User avatar
eledoremassis02
I Live Here
Posts: 3313
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:40 pm

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:47 pm

How do the 35mm episodes look? I'm really finding it hard to just buy the season blurays

User avatar
Jesta'
Newbie
Posts: 45
Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:03 pm

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by Jesta' » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:04 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:47 pm
How do the 35mm episodes look? I'm really finding it hard to just buy the season blurays
Like 16mm. There isn't a difference in quality. Funimation didn't get 35mm film masters.

User avatar
eledoremassis02
I Live Here
Posts: 3313
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:40 pm

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by eledoremassis02 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:04 am

Jesta' wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:04 pm
eledoremassis02 wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:47 pm
How do the 35mm episodes look? I'm really finding it hard to just buy the season blurays
Like 16mm. There isn't a difference in quality. Funimation didn't get 35mm film masters.
I know that lol, but people also refer to those episodes looking especially bad on the season blurays.

User avatar
Mr.Poot
Newbie
Posts: 41
Joined: Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:50 pm
Location: Missouri, USA

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by Mr.Poot » Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:49 am

Tylerman29 wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:20 pm
This guy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQ9rorY ... ture=share shows a comparison to his DBox rip and makes the bold claim that this set is much better. Says he has a eye for video but can’t see the DNR or fake grain..interesting...he shows it at the beginning and end.
I'm glad he found a way to cope with his 200$ purchase by just comparing the bluray to some torrent he found on piratebay.

User avatar
Robo4900
I Live Here
Posts: 2872
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:24 pm
Location: In another time and place...

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:33 am

Image Click for full size.

In case anyone was sceptical of my claims that the 30th anniversary set is only standard-def in terms of actual detail in the picture. In fact, fine detail like the blood on Gohan's face actually is significantly clearer and more distinct on Dragon Box... And look at how the linework of the top of Piccolo's eyebrows has become the same colour as the shading, leading some of it that's on that shading to blend right into it, and Tenshinhan's mouth and nose have just become this little 90-degree angled pair of lines... Meanwhile, this linework is distinct and clear on the DBox, even if it's quite a blurry picture on the whole.

And this is in the bloody Cell arc. This shit doesn't get better as this release goes on, and it wouldn't even make any sense if it did anyway.
You'd get better results than this shitty 30th anniversary set by just running a sharpener on the DBox. Use a basic resizer and add a 1080p grain plate on top, and boom, you've got a fake HD master that looks better than what Funi's shat into our breakfast.
Last edited by Robo4900 on Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Never lose hope that your situation can improve.

User avatar
jaisonas
Not-So-Newbie
Posts: 77
Joined: Fri Oct 12, 2018 1:11 pm

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by jaisonas » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:42 am

Robo4900 wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:33 am


In case anyone was sceptical of my claims that the 30th anniversary set is only standard-def in terms of actual detail in the picture. In fact, fine detail like the blood on Gohan's face actually is significantly clearer and more distinct on Dragon Box... And look at how the linework of the top of Piccolo's eyebrows has become the same colour as the shading, leading some of it that's on that shading to blend right into it... Meanwhile, it's distinctly linework on the DBox.

And this is in the bloody Cell arc. This shit doesn't get better as this release goes on, and it wouldn't even make any sense if it did anyway.
Ai ai ai, the sharpening does not cope well with off focus lines...
Also known as "[EncoderAnon] and his shitty HxH encode"

User avatar
Robo4900
I Live Here
Posts: 2872
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:24 pm
Location: In another time and place...

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:44 am

jaisonas wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:42 am
Robo4900 wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:33 am


In case anyone was sceptical of my claims that the 30th anniversary set is only standard-def in terms of actual detail in the picture. In fact, fine detail like the blood on Gohan's face actually is significantly clearer and more distinct on Dragon Box... And look at how the linework of the top of Piccolo's eyebrows has become the same colour as the shading, leading some of it that's on that shading to blend right into it... Meanwhile, it's distinctly linework on the DBox.

And this is in the bloody Cell arc. This shit doesn't get better as this release goes on, and it wouldn't even make any sense if it did anyway.
Ai ai ai, the sharpening does not cope well with off focus lines...
It's probably not even that off-focus on Funi's raw scan. But their strong DNR blurs the picture so much that ALL The linework is off-focus. All the sharpening does is give all the shading a weird, ugly abrupt sharpness that contrasts with the blurry linework, and it ruins all the backgrounds.
(And I just noticed how badly Gohan's eyes were ruined by this ugly filtering)

I didn't mention how awful the clouds are in this picture because the detail loss in the linework etc. was my focus, but look at how bad those clouds are...

Funi's filtering is SHIT, and highly destructive to everything about the picture. Anyone who bought this release made a big mistake.

And it's not like this is some background details I'm criticising, this is the full frame I'm working off of.
Never lose hope that your situation can improve.

User avatar
PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 354
Joined: Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:58 pm

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by PremiumSalt » Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:32 pm

Holy crap, that's almost nauseating. How can a single soul on this earth look at that and say "yeah this set looks fine, people are just nitpicking"???
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Tournament of Power 8. 21st Budōkai 9. Broly 10. Battle of Gods 11. Boo 12. U6 Tournament 13. Freeza 14. Red Ribbon Army 15. Artificial Humans/Cell 16.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

User avatar
KBABZ
I Live Here
Posts: 4066
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:38 pm
Location: The tallest tower in West City

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by KBABZ » Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:01 pm

PremiumSalt wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:32 pm
Holy crap, that's almost nauseating. How can a single soul on this earth look at that and say "yeah this set looks fine, people are just nitpicking"???
It's out of focus... it's literally out of focus!!

User avatar
Robo4900
I Live Here
Posts: 2872
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:24 pm
Location: In another time and place...

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:17 pm

KBABZ wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:01 pm
PremiumSalt wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:32 pm
Holy crap, that's almost nauseating. How can a single soul on this earth look at that and say "yeah this set looks fine, people are just nitpicking"???
It's out of focus... it's literally out of focus!!
The frame wasn't anything like that in the raw, I guarantee you. This is all Funi's shitty filtering. I agree with PremiumSalt 100%.
Never lose hope that your situation can improve.

User avatar
Scsigs
I Live Here
Posts: 2454
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:55 am
Location: NY, USA
Contact:

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by Scsigs » Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:21 pm

Yeah, not hard to believe that the episodes are upscaled SD episodes with bad filters thrown over them. The fact that there's 10 episodes per disc not only on this set, but the last BRs as well, was what I fully expected.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

User avatar
KBABZ
I Live Here
Posts: 4066
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:38 pm
Location: The tallest tower in West City

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by KBABZ » Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:50 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:17 pm
The frame wasn't anything like that in the raw, I guarantee you. This is all Funi's shitty filtering. I agree with PremiumSalt 100%.
Yeah. I suspect that the frame was good, but for this section the actual scanning bit was done out of focus and they didn't bother to fix it.

User avatar
Cure Dragon 255
I Live Here
Posts: 3586
Joined: Thu May 03, 2012 5:23 pm

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:55 pm

...Is it bad that I hate the sets because it seems like this thread has stolen the attention from other discussion? Its the new Vic Mignogna thread, everyone posts here only.
AnimeMaakuo wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:38 am
Enjoy unboxing crap :thumbup:. Your continued support for crap will give us more crap for many years to come! :clap:.
90sDBZ wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm
19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

User avatar
KBABZ
I Live Here
Posts: 4066
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:38 pm
Location: The tallest tower in West City

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by KBABZ » Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:03 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:55 pm
...Is it bad that I hate the sets because it seems like this thread has stolen the attention from other discussion? Its the new Vic Mignogna thread, everyone posts here only.
To be fair the Vic case is all but finished and this is a big new topic that we're learning about. (also we have Saturn to help keep us up to date on Beard shooting his foot again).

User avatar
Cure Dragon 255
I Live Here
Posts: 3586
Joined: Thu May 03, 2012 5:23 pm

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:05 pm

I know I know. I'm just being butthurt lol.
AnimeMaakuo wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:38 am
Enjoy unboxing crap :thumbup:. Your continued support for crap will give us more crap for many years to come! :clap:.
90sDBZ wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm
19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Post Reply