Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
Rory
I Live Here
Posts: 2677
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2006 5:15 pm
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by Rory » Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:54 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:55 pm
...Is it bad that I hate the sets because it seems like this thread has stolen the attention from other discussion? Its the new Vic Mignogna thread, everyone posts here only.
Yes, that's kinda bad. It's good that we're discussing Dragon Ball on this Dragon Ball message board.

User avatar
Scsigs
I Live Here
Posts: 2599
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:55 am
Location: NY, USA
Contact:

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by Scsigs » Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:20 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:05 pm
...Is it bad that I hate the sets because it seems like this thread has stolen the attention from other discussion? It's the new Vic Mignogna thread, everyone posts here only.

...

I know I know. I'm just being butthurt lol.
I mean, this has just gotten renewed interest because the sets literally just came out last week &, minus the Super manga, a few video games, & the Heroes anime, there's not a lot to talk about right now in the DB community. I mean, come next month, we'll see posts in the TFS & Mistare Fusion threads about their upcoming DBCember & DBD December videos, but until then, there's not a lot to talk about otherwise. January's when DBZ: Kakarot comes out, then, at some point, DBZ Abridged season 4 is gonna get under way. And, Vic's case is so laughable in terms of how he thinks he'll actually win it rather than have it be dismissed again, that it's over before it gets started again.
So, I'm glad we're all discussing Dragon Ball instead of allegations & court cases of one of the former cast members of the dubs.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

User avatar
Cure Dragon 255
I Live Here
Posts: 3601
Joined: Thu May 03, 2012 5:23 pm

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Nov 11, 2019 4:56 pm

Rory wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:54 pm
Cure Dragon 255 wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 2:55 pm
...Is it bad that I hate the sets because it seems like this thread has stolen the attention from other discussion? Its the new Vic Mignogna thread, everyone posts here only.
Yes, that's kinda bad. It's good that we're discussing Dragon Ball on this Dragon Ball message board.
I know I already admitted its bad but just so we are clear, I'm SUPER GLAD the Vic Mignogna thread died down. All I'm sad about is that other Dragon Ball related threads arent as populated lol.
AnimeMaakuo wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:38 am
Enjoy unboxing crap :thumbup:. Your continued support for crap will give us more crap for many years to come! :clap:.
90sDBZ wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm
19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

User avatar
Captain Awesome
I Live Here
Posts: 2598
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2007 1:31 am
Location: Australia, Planet Earth

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by Captain Awesome » Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:27 pm

Tylerman29 wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:20 pm
This guy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQ9rorY ... ture=share shows a comparison to his DBox rip and makes the bold claim that this set is much better. Says he has a eye for video but can’t see the DNR or fake grain..interesting...he shows it at the beginning and end.
Yeah I just saw this. The worst part is he's working off another encode of the Dragon Box not even a 1:1 rip, which boggles the mind.
[quote="Herms"]The first thing of DragonBall I ever saw was one of the segments where Goku is training on his way to Planet Namek. So I assumed Goku was a spaceship captain.[/quote]

User avatar
Scsigs
I Live Here
Posts: 2599
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:55 am
Location: NY, USA
Contact:

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by Scsigs » Mon Nov 11, 2019 6:23 pm

Captain Awesome wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:27 pm
Tylerman29 wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:20 pm
This guy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQ9rorY ... ture=share shows a comparison to his DBox rip and makes the bold claim that this set is much better. Says he has a eye for video but can’t see the DNR or fake grain..interesting...he shows it at the beginning and end.
Yeah I just saw this. The worst part is he's working off another encode of the Dragon Box not even a 1:1 rip, which boggles the mind.
How you know the guy doesn't even know what he's talking about without watching the video:
1. He's only liking/loving comments that agree with him.
2. He's arguing with people disproving what he's saying.
3. He's saying people who made videos "back in April" (this includes Ajay's videos explaining why the previews & blogpost didn't inspire confidence & Tony StrongStyle, who made the video outlining FUNi's previous home releases & explaining why they're, largely, bad) are wrong or don't matter just because their videos are from back when this set was announced, yet clips posted on YouTube show the previews were entirely accurate to what we ultimately got. He's also ignoring the upload of the short featurette from the levels of the crew that were working on those that actually know what they're talking about, which is stupid.

I can see ignoring smaller people, but not listening to film remastering experts is like ignoring climate scientists saying that the Earth is unnaturally hotter than it should be because of all of the CO2 we continually pump into the air because our cars & other things are powered by gas. Hell, the people that worked on the Star Trek TNG Blu-Rays can tell you why what FUNi continually does is terrible to an extent. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQtWeor58rU. Obviously not necessarily for the remastering, but mainly for the widescreen ratio (they don't really talk about grain removal or color correction in those featurettes, but still).
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

User avatar
Jesta'
Newbie
Posts: 45
Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2018 9:03 pm

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by Jesta' » Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:55 pm

PremiumSalt wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:32 pm
Holy crap, that's almost nauseating. How can a single soul on this earth look at that and say "yeah this set looks fine, people are just nitpicking"???
That was before I saw that!

User avatar
samuraix123
I Live Here
Posts: 3679
Joined: Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:22 pm
Location: Kentucky

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by samuraix123 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:03 am

LORD HAVE MERCY! How does everyone else get their discs out? I had to start using a small cloth to just get ahold of the discs to pull em out because I was afraid i'd I would smudge it to death or rip the sleeve. I've done hard labor work just about all my life but getting these discs out Is a challenge! :lol: :lol: I honestly thought about taking scissors and just cutting the packaging so i can get the discs out easier because I don't ever plan to sell it. Lol freaking stupid dude.
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

User avatar
SuperSaiyanPan
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 143
Joined: Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:54 am

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by SuperSaiyanPan » Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:15 am

samuraix123 wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:03 am
LORD HAVE MERCY! How does everyone else get their discs out? I had to start using a small cloth to just get ahold of the discs to pull em out because I was afraid i'd I would smudge it to death or rip the sleeve. I've done hard labor work just about all my life but getting these discs out Is a challenge! :lol: :lol: I honestly thought about taking scissors and just cutting the packaging so i can get the discs out easier because I don't ever plan to sell it. Lol freaking stupid dude.
I'm using a microfiber cloth to get mine out so I can get a grip on them. It wouldn't be so bad if there was a little cut out down the center leading to the hole in the middle of the disc so you can grip it that way. But other than that, I am really loving my set to death. The art book is actually really fucking amazing. I also love my Goku figure <3

User avatar
Tylerman29
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 169
Joined: Tue May 23, 2017 7:43 pm
Location: Texas

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by Tylerman29 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:29 pm

I'm resisting sliding the discs in and out until my 10 disc cases get here.

User avatar
MetaMoss
Regular
Posts: 545
Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:14 pm
Location: Oregon

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by MetaMoss » Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:43 pm

Well, I got my set back last Friday, and I spent a good chunk of Saturday spot-checking things, so I might as well share my thoughts.

Is the remaster good? Of course not. I didn't expect it to be back when I ordered this, and it didn't disappoint me on that front. I don't think I need to elaborate on why it's bad, as many others on here have already covered that point. This is definitely not how DBZ should be preserved for history's sake, but there's more than enough superfans holding on to their Dragon Boxes for me to be worried about that.

The more important question to me, though, is whether or not this remaster is watchable. And my answer currently, after jumping around revisiting my favorite moments, is yes. There's certainly times where the smearing was obvious (especially whenever something was supposed to be out of focus), but even then, there was never a moment where the remaster got in the way of me watching Dragon Ball Z. That's all I wanted out of this release, for me to be able to watch DBZ. I haven't done that for years, because the 16:9 crop was enough "getting in the way" for me to not bother. But dangit, I just had a good time on Saturday. It was really fun to revisit the big moments of DBZ, switching between the original Japanese and the English dub, wondering how I (well really, my parents) ever tolerated listening to said dub. I don't know when I'll get around to actually watching this all over again, but at least I'll be ready to whenever.

I don't fault anyone if this DNR'd smearfest is not good enough for them to enjoy watching the show. It really sucks that there isn't a truly quality release of this series that's readily available. Hell, the best quality release that's available at all has noticeable color issues. I'm still holding out hope that one day, we'll get a remaster that everyone can be proud of, but until then, I'm fine with watching DBZ this way.
samuraix123 wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:03 am
LORD HAVE MERCY! How does everyone else get their discs out? I had to start using a small cloth to just get ahold of the discs to pull em out because I was afraid i'd I would smudge it to death or rip the sleeve. I've done hard labor work just about all my life but getting these discs out Is a challenge! :lol: :lol: I honestly thought about taking scissors and just cutting the packaging so i can get the discs out easier because I don't ever plan to sell it. Lol freaking stupid dude.
The way I've managed is using my thumb to tug on the exposed label and letting the disc "roll" on one of the sides until you can get to the hole. Haven't needed to touch the shiny side, which is nice.
Do me a favor and just pretend there's something cool or witty or profound down here.

User avatar
eledoremassis02
I Live Here
Posts: 3334
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:40 pm

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by eledoremassis02 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 3:02 pm

Have you guys though about getting these? https://www.ebay.com/itm/50-100-300-CD- ... 2749.l2649

I just bought a set for my limited edition Batman TAS bluay say (also in cardboard books) and my ROTD set

They should fit in the book slots and they should even have room too create a sort of pull tab to slide the discs out while protecting them

Brangeta
Newbie
Posts: 48
Joined: Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:56 am

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by Brangeta » Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:23 pm

immakillya wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:00 am
Image
I just bought 4 of the same blu ray cases.

If you design art work for the inserts for the blu ray cases, do you mind sharing it. I would love to print out my own inserts as well, but I'm terrible at making those sort of things.
I'm probably going to design artwork to fit these cases over Thanksgiving break or over Christmas break. It'll be something I sell prints of for a cheap price.

In other news, I am at the middle of disc 2 as of this weekend, and I am loving this release. I hope that those who spent their money on this end up overall happy and those who didn't, don't regret missing out. I like the set a lot better just via putting the discs in easy to handle cases from ebay.

There's so much bitterness in this thread... If you don't like what you spent $350 to $375 on... resell it and make your money back + profit.

If we're really lucky, someday Funimation might give us the Level set footage most of us would like to buy. But until that day, I'm loving this release a wholeeeeee lot better than my orange bricks and that Sharpie smudged 16:9, oversaturated, overexposed, crazy high contrast Season blu-ray set. I would wear sunglasses to watch that first Season blu-ray because it hurt my eyes so bad lol.

Like I posted before... here's a 99% matching crop of the most important (to me) releases.
Image

User avatar
Azelf89
Not-So-Newbie
Posts: 60
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2015 4:22 pm

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by Azelf89 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:39 pm

Odd question, but has anyone here ripped the audio from this set? And if so, could you perhaps send me a link to them through PM? I want to compare the audio, both the 5.1 JPN BGM tracks and the 2.0 US BGM tracks, with the audio from the Blu-ray Season Set, to see if there are any differences. Specifically, differences in encoding (if that’s the right word here) and to see if any of the issues that were on the Season Sets (ex: many of the Ginyu episodes had the SFX on the US BGM track at a slower tempo than on the JPN BGM track for whatever reason, many of the episodes revolving around the Goku vs Frieza battle had the US BGM track encoded differently than the JPN BGM track, etc.) were fixed this time around.

User avatar
Tylerman29
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 169
Joined: Tue May 23, 2017 7:43 pm
Location: Texas

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by Tylerman29 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 6:41 pm

Those poor clouds. From fluffy marshmellows to white thumb smears.

User avatar
KBABZ
I Live Here
Posts: 4186
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:38 pm
Location: The tallest tower in West City

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by KBABZ » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:45 pm

This is a dumb question, but could anyone post some pictures of the Sleeves of Doom? I've read lots about them but I don't even know what they look like or visually why they're such a bad idea.

User avatar
eledoremassis02
I Live Here
Posts: 3334
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:40 pm

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by eledoremassis02 » Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:58 pm

KBABZ wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:45 pm
This is a dumb question, but could anyone post some pictures of the Sleeves of Doom? I've read lots about them but I don't even know what they look like or visually why they're such a bad idea.
RSChaosmaster has a pretty good example and even tries to take a disc out
https://youtu.be/wC2ETdOpcW8?t=742

User avatar
Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6002
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:02 am
Location: Namek

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by Metalwario64 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:08 am

Robo4900 wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:44 am
And it's not like this is some background details I'm criticising, this is the full frame I'm working off of.
Here's the Orange Brick for comparison:

Image

vs the 30th Anniversary BD:
Image

I actually prefer the freaking Orange Bricks here... It's soft from the DVNR and the blacks are crushed, but at least at this point it was reigned in and the sets improved, and the lines are clear and pretty sharp. With the new set and the previous BD sets they progressively got worse and began looking very out of focus, which made them look as bad as the first Orange Brick which was too blurred, and in some ways worse since the out of focus look of the new BD episodes seriously hurts my eyes! The new BDs are somehow more saturated too, and with the pale colors, it looks extremely off.
Last edited by Metalwario64 on Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

User avatar
KBABZ
I Live Here
Posts: 4186
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:38 pm
Location: The tallest tower in West City

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by KBABZ » Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:24 am

eledoremassis02 wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:58 pm
KBABZ wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:45 pm
This is a dumb question, but could anyone post some pictures of the Sleeves of Doom? I've read lots about them but I don't even know what they look like or visually why they're such a bad idea.
RSChaosmaster has a pretty good example and even tries to take a disc out
https://youtu.be/wC2ETdOpcW8?t=742
YIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIKES. Okay, so for anyone unaware, the design is like a book, with the left page being Yamauchi art* and the right being the Episodes. The disk is in a sort of tight sleeve in that page that you pull out from the top, forcing you to get your fingers on the shiny side. Because of the tight fit, one tiny pebble or other piece of grit, and you're getting a scratch ALL OVER that thing.

It honestly baffles me that anyone thinks this is a good way to store discs.

User avatar
Captain Awesome
I Live Here
Posts: 2598
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2007 1:31 am
Location: Australia, Planet Earth

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by Captain Awesome » Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:47 am

Rory wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:31 pm
Gotta say I feel the same. I hear a lot that Dragon Boxes look terrible on a 50+" TV, but Christ I'd pull my hair out looking at this version of the show.
They don't - at least the original R2 releases look fantastic on my 55" 4K Sony Bravia. I don't doubt the lower bit-rates on the R1s cause them to suffer a little on a larger screen though.

For anyone that is interested I used gravitypriest's excellent Dragon Radar to remux my R2's with subtitles into MKV containers which I host on my NAS and play via infuse on my Apple Tv 4k. There isn't a better way to watch the show.
[quote="Herms"]The first thing of DragonBall I ever saw was one of the segments where Goku is training on his way to Planet Namek. So I assumed Goku was a spaceship captain.[/quote]

User avatar
eledoremassis02
I Live Here
Posts: 3334
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:40 pm

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by eledoremassis02 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:54 pm

Did a comparison of 3 different HD sources of Cha-la
http://www.framecompare.com/image-compa ... n/DYLZGNNX

If anyone who has the 30th set and can get shots from the Bardock Special flashback, it'll be cool to compare that to TOEI HD special

Post Reply