Funimation's 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Robo4900
I Live Here

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by Robo4900 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:17 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:54 pm Did a comparison of 3 different HD sources of Cha-la
http://www.framecompare.com/image-compa ... n/DYLZGNNX
That's a somewhat deceptive comparison to make, actually. The 30th anniversary set uses the 35mm film version of Cha-La from their film copy of the first Z movie, so it looks leaps and bounds ahead of the shitty quality of the actual episode footage.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

VDenter

Post by VDenter » Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:39 pm

What's frustrating the most about this is that they were so close to getting this right. Even the level sets didn't have the potential that this set had since the Original Broadcast Audio wasn't fully found in 2011. What a depressing 30th anniversary. Holy shit. :(

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:01 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 3:17 pm
eledoremassis02 wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:54 pm Did a comparison of 3 different HD sources of Cha-la
http://www.framecompare.com/image-compa ... n/DYLZGNNX
That's a somewhat deceptive comparison to make, actually. The 30th anniversary set uses the 35mm film version of Cha-La from their film copy of the first Z movie, so it looks leaps and bounds ahead of the shitty quality of the actual episode footage.
It's going to unfair regardless because TOEI has better physical masters then FUNimation ever will (hence their DNRing comes off cleaner because their's has no baked-in grain from multi-generational scanning. However, to be fair, thats why I included TOEI's 35mm master of the movie because they are 35mm sources *and I used TOEI's un-DNRed version*. I also requested the Bardock screenshots to compare it to TOEI own remaster. If people compare TEOI's 35mm scan to FUNi's 16mm scan of the Namek episodes, then I don't see the problem.

Rory
I Live Here

Post by Rory » Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:31 pm

I guess the comparison is being called out because it then implies the rest of the footage will look that good, which it won't.

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:00 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:01 pm It's going to unfair regardless because TOEI has better physical masters then FUNimation ever will (hence their DNRing comes off cleaner because their's has no baked-in grain from multi-generational scanning. However, to be fair, thats why I included TOEI's 35mm master of the movie because they are 35mm sources *and I used TOEI's un-DNRed version*. I also requested the Bardock screenshots to compare it to TOEI own remaster. If people compare TEOI's 35mm scan to FUNi's 16mm scan of the Namek episodes, then I don't see the problem.
No, it's a bad comparison.

You're comparing the blu-ray release of the OP scanned from a 35mm print of movie 1 with a web encode and a HDTV rip. The comparison tells you nothing other than how FUNimation's 35mm print of Movie 1 holds up against two lossy files you got online. The opening is no more indicative of the overall quality of the set than the handful of 35mm episodes in the Namek arc are.

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:06 pm

For the opening at least, I like the color grading more on the 30th anniversary set.
Also, the level set is slightly more zoomed out.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:54 pm

Captain Awesome wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:00 pm
eledoremassis02 wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:01 pm It's going to unfair regardless because TOEI has better physical masters then FUNimation ever will (hence their DNRing comes off cleaner because their's has no baked-in grain from multi-generational scanning. However, to be fair, thats why I included TOEI's 35mm master of the movie because they are 35mm sources *and I used TOEI's un-DNRed version*. I also requested the Bardock screenshots to compare it to TOEI own remaster. If people compare TEOI's 35mm scan to FUNi's 16mm scan of the Namek episodes, then I don't see the problem.
No, it's a bad comparison.

You're comparing the blu-ray release of the OP scanned from a 35mm print of movie 1 with a web encode and a HDTV rip. The comparison tells you nothing other than how FUNimation's 35mm print of Movie 1 holds up against two lossy files you got online. The opening is no more indicative of the overall quality of the set than the handful of 35mm episodes in the Namek arc are.
The said web encode debatably has more detail because it's not DNRD, if anyone wants to supply one from the Bluray set (which I don't have) then please share it. Even FUNi's Deadzone is welcomed. HDTV is all we have for the special so we're SOL there, and yes, the opening to the special looks like crap compared to the rest of it (which is why I would like the flashback backs in the Namek saga from the 30th set). If the HDTV rip looks better than the FUNi set (which it has a good chance of doing), I'm pretty sure few people will actually care about the source.
Rory wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:31 pm I guess the comparison is being called out because it then implies the rest of the footage will look that good, which it won't.
We're all aware of how the episodes look and I'm 99% sure no one's going to change their perception of this set because the opening looks decent. People's opinion of this set were made up before it even came out (which is fine).

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:27 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:54 pm We're all aware of how the episodes look and I'm 99% sure no one's going to change their perception of this set because the opening looks decent. People's opinion of this set were made up before it even came out (which is fine).
I think the concern is more about some fanboy taking that picture and going "SEE?! The 30th DOES look better, LOOK AT THE INTRO!!!!" (while they conveniently ignore the actualy episode content).

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:28 pm

I don't like the show anymore, but the limited edition BR set of The Big Bang Theory also used the "booklet with shitty paper sleeves" approach that this set used. Why do companies think this is a good way to go?

Also, that video someone linked a few days ago or so. I think he's deleting comments that disagree with him, or other people are that can't handle the discourse.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:43 pm

KBABZ wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:27 pm
eledoremassis02 wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:54 pm We're all aware of how the episodes look and I'm 99% sure no one's going to change their perception of this set because the opening looks decent. People's opinion of this set were made up before it even came out (which is fine).
I think the concern is more about some fanboy taking that picture and going "SEE?! The 30th DOES look better, LOOK AT THE INTRO!!!!" (while they conveniently ignore the actualy episode content).
I think the damage is already done. it's not like they can say 'look how much better it is'' and people go out in droves and buy the set, increasing FUNi's cash flow. The sets produced and the only way to get the series is not OOP is via orange brick or season set bluray. If anything this sets become the dragon box of the falconer base and at that point, who cares? FUNi not listening to the fanbase time and time again show they dont care and TOEI is sadly not much different.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:11 am

eledoremassis02 wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:43 pm
KBABZ wrote: Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:27 pm
I think the damage is already done. it's not like they can say 'look how much better it is'' and people go out in droves and buy the set, increasing FUNi's cash flow. The sets produced and the only way to get the series is not OOP is via orange brick or season set bluray. If anything this sets become the dragon box of the falconer base and at that point, who cares? FUNi not listening to the fanbase time and time again show they dont care and TOEI is sadly not much different.
The damage is not done completely.
At this stage, we can still ensure the 30th sets are as infamous as the Orange Bricks. We can't allow anyone to not understand just how shit this release is. It should be in the territoriy that people are openly joking about them at fan gatherings, etc. Make it completely common, normal knowledge that the 30th sets suck.

Tylerman29
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tylerman29 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:15 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 6:11 am The damage is not done completely.
At this stage, we can still ensure the 30th sets are as infamous as the Orange Bricks. We can't allow anyone to not understand just how shit this release is. It should be in the territory that people are openly joking about them at fan gatherings, etc. Make it completely common, normal knowledge that the 30th sets suck.
Yeah that worked so well for the Orange Bricks that they continue to sell well over 10 years later! They even got a new modern 30th anniversary slipcover! This release is far above the OB.
DB, Z, and GT subbed are my "canon".
SSJ4 > Any transformation in Super.

VDenter

Post by VDenter » Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:50 pm

These sets suck but i will be honest and say that they are a improvement over the previous BD release and the Orange Bricks. It occured to me that this set is also the first time the Boo arc is able to be seen with both HD and 4:3

Yes that doesn't make up for how terrible this set is, but i guess it's something.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:56 pm

Tylerman29 wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:15 pm Yeah that worked so well for the Orange Bricks that they continue to sell well over 10 years later!
Yes. And so, in the face of this, we did all we could: The fans gave the OBs an infamous reputation for being shit that continues to this day. All we can do now, is do the same for this set.
Tylerman29 wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 1:15 pm They even got a new modern 30th anniversary slipcover! This release is far above the OB.
The truth is they both suck ass big-time and neither is worth anyone's money. It's not a case of degrees.
VDenter wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 2:50 pm this set is also the first time the Boo arc is able to be seen with both HD and 4:3

Yes that doesn't make up for how terrible this set is, but i guess it's something.
Due to the destructive filtering, there's no actual HD detail there. You'd get better results by watching the Dragon Box upscaled by your HDTV or media player's native upscaler.

PacificOceanDub
Beyond Newbie

Post by PacificOceanDub » Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:04 pm

I’ve been watching, on average, 2 or 3 episodes a day since I got my set in the mail. I think I’m on episode 024 at this point. Anyway, I love it! I can watch DBZ in 4:3, the box art looks cool on my shelf, and the Goku figure goes hand in hand with the Super Saiyan 2 Gohan Grandista figure that I got last year! I can’t wait to see how the rest of the series looks in the 30th set
You shouldn’t have to (Cell.) your soul!

LostTimeLord
Beyond Newbie

Post by LostTimeLord » Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:07 pm

Manga UK has uploaded a short unboxing video, supposedly of their UK version: https://youtu.be/vgncEoMNfA8. It looks identical to the American one, even down to having the American version of the figure instead of what was in their blog post.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:02 pm

LostTimeLord wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 8:07 pm Manga UK has uploaded a short unboxing video, supposedly of their UK version: https://youtu.be/vgncEoMNfA8. It looks identical to the American one, even down to having the American version of the figure instead of what was in their blog post.
Makes me wonder if it's all the cancellations lol

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:23 pm

Some screenshots from episode 5.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:26 pm

It's interesting how the watery line work on from the Cell Game that's present on the Blu-ray sets are also present on the 30th Anniversary sets.

And what's this I've read on Twitter about Funi adding fake grain on top of the footage as a form of damage control?
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:17 pm

Kendamu wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:26 pm It's interesting how the watery line work on from the Cell Game that's present on the Blu-ray sets are also present on the 30th Anniversary sets.

And what's this I've read on Twitter about Funi adding fake grain on top of the footage as a form of damage control?
It's the same exact remastering process they used on the season BRs, just not as brightened & not in widescreen. FUNi added fake grain to try to fool people into thinking there's still native grain int he footage because they hate that people keep calling out their bullshit awful remasters for what they are.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs