Funimation's 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by eledoremassis02 » Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:42 pm

DHM211 wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:23 pm Some screenshots from episode 5.
Does the level or season sets have that weird discoloration at the middle right behind krillin. It almost looks like it goes accross the whole image

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:53 pm

There is no release for the European market, right?
I know Funimation can't sell outside US, so it would have to be the AB Group or something? :think:

Tylerman29
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tylerman29 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:07 am

dbgtFO wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:53 pm There is no release for the European market, right?
I know Funimation can't sell outside US, so it would have to be the AB Group or something? :think:
The UK has them.
DB, Z, and GT subbed are my "canon".
SSJ4 > Any transformation in Super.

Kuwabara
Regular

Post by Kuwabara » Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:58 am

Kendamu wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 10:26 pm It's interesting how the watery line work on from the Cell Game that's present on the Blu-ray sets are also present on the 30th Anniversary sets.

And what's this I've read on Twitter about Funi adding fake grain on top of the footage as a form of damage control?
They did the same thing for Cowboy Bebop on Blu-ray. Why the fuck would you degrain footage only to add noise back over it again!? That's like plucking a chicken bald and then dumping the feathers back on top of it, who are they trying to fool?

Removing grain doesn't have to be terrible, Yu Yu Hakusho on Blu-ray looks pretty nice... but when you get to the point Bebop and this Z 30th Anniversary set have, the entire presentation just becomes completely dishonest. I wish I could say it was unbelievable, I really do.
This is the episode of when Gokuh enrages himself after Freezer talk shit about Kuririn

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:31 am

Got some snapsnots from Steve's raw transfer is anyone cares to add to the comparisons
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Gdugz
Beyond Newbie

Post by Gdugz » Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:26 am

Someone on the blu ray forums is saying that episode 47-49 look absolutely terrible. Apparently they are enjoying the sets otherwise but those episodes made them wanna skip because of how bad they are.

Would anyone be able to take a few screenshots from those episodes?

Terez
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Terez » Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:44 am

Gdugz wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:26 am Someone on the blu ray forums is saying that episode 47-49 look absolutely terrible. Apparently they are enjoying the sets otherwise but those episodes made them wanna skip because of how bad they are.

You'll need to ask them to take screenshots of what they are talking about. My experience so far is that things look pretty good throughout the Android arc, if you can ignore things like sharpened lines and wobbly shading, etc., and these episodes are no exception. I just skimmed through 47 and the only thing I can nitpick is the focus transition here:

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:14 am

Tylerman29 wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:07 am
dbgtFO wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:53 pm There is no release for the European market, right?
The UK has them.
Thanks, I guess I'll have to come up with something to figure out how to get them to me.

Gdugz
Beyond Newbie

Post by Gdugz » Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:35 am

Terez wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:44 am
Gdugz wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:26 am Someone on the blu ray forums is saying that episode 47-49 look absolutely terrible. Apparently they are enjoying the sets otherwise but those episodes made them wanna skip because of how bad they are.

You'll need to ask them to take screenshots of what they are talking about. My experience so far is that things look pretty good throughout the Android arc, if you can ignore things like sharpened lines and wobbly shading, etc., and these episodes are no exception. I just skimmed through 47 and the only thing I can nitpick is the focus transition here:
I will send him a message, I'd say my copy will be in soon enough so I might just check it for myself when it does. Thanks for the screenshot nothing looks too bad there except for the general quality of the release itself.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:00 am

eledoremassis02 wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:31 am Got some snapsnots from Steve's raw transfer is anyone cares to add to the comparisons
Again, I ask out loud at nobody in particular: "Why does Funimation keep messing with it?! Just leave well enough alone and sell me this at a budget price with the least amount of work necessary to make it reasonably presentable!"
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Terez
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Terez » Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:38 am

Gdugz wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:35 amI will send him a message, I'd say my copy will be in soon enough so I might just check it for myself when it does. Thanks for the screenshot nothing looks too bad there except for the general quality of the release itself.
This was just the closest I could come to a nitpick. It was more stark in motion.

idk if that really conveys it, though.
Kendamu wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:00 am
eledoremassis02 wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 2:31 am Got some snapsnots from Steve's raw transfer is anyone cares to add to the comparisons
Again, I ask out loud at nobody in particular: "Why does Funimation keep messing with it?! Just leave well enough alone and sell me this at a budget price with the least amount of work necessary to make it reasonably presentable!"
The raw unfortunately does not look as good in motion and making it reasonably presentable is a lot of work. It really is a huge undertaking. I believe they could do it, but they would need to plan it a little better than they did this remaster, or the Level Sets remaster. Both suffered from different kinds of bad planning.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:48 am

Terez wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:38 am The raw unfortunately does not look as good in motion and making it reasonably presentable is a lot of work. It really is a huge undertaking. I believe they could do it, but they would need to plan it a little better than they did this remaster, or the Level Sets remaster. Both suffered from different kinds of bad planning.
We've seen these in motion on like special features and such, haven't we?
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Terez
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Terez » Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:52 am

Kendamu wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:48 amWe've seen these in motion on like special features and such, haven't we?
I might be wrong, but I think everything we have seen has been through the remastering process with grain reduction, except for the still images they have given us.

SqueakyBoots
Beyond Newbie

Post by SqueakyBoots » Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:31 pm

Those raw footage screenshots came from a behind the scenes video on the level sets where they did show it in motion. You can find that video here. https://youtu.be/moAy02J2fd8 The raw footage starts at about 3:15.

Now granted, I'm looking at compressed footage on youtube and not the whole untouched transfer but I think Funimation just releasing this as is or with a more minuscule amount of dnr if it were necessary would've been perfectly acceptable.

Terez
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Terez » Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:57 pm

SqueakyBoots wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:31 pm Those raw footage screenshots came from a behind the scenes video on the level sets where they did show it in motion. You can find that video here. https://youtu.be/moAy02J2fd8 The raw footage starts at about 3:15.

Now granted, I'm looking at compressed footage on youtube and not the whole untouched transfer but I think Funimation just releasing this as is or with a more minuscule amount of dnr if it were necessary would've been perfectly acceptable.
Compression does reduce grain quite a bit. Here's a raw screenshot from that feature, followed by a raw screenshot from the episode.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:04 pm

I know Kai's a bit soft, but I prefer that to fucking water colors.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:04 am

http://www.framecompare.com/image-compa ... n/J1JECNNU

This is the comparison that got me. Look at how the DNR has DESTROYED the lineart on Jeice's glove on the right. In fact at some point the filter blurs the lineart and the shading together at the wrist? Bloody terrible.
Scsigs wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:04 pm I know Kai's a bit soft, but I prefer that to fucking water colors.
Plus overall it has a better white balance! Really obvious whenever Frieza's on-screen.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:57 am

KBABZ wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:04 am http://www.framecompare.com/image-compa ... n/J1JECNNU

This is the comparison that got me. Look at how the DNR has DESTROYED the lineart on Jeice's glove on the right. In fact at some point the filter blurs the lineart and the shading together at the wrist? Bloody terrible.
That's actually a terrible comparison because that's not the same frame between the two, so we're comparing two different drawings.

Plus, those MP4 rips they're using are very compressed. I can see macroblocking and compression everywhere.

Maybe sometime soon I can whip up some DVD screenshots for proper comparisons, even those are going to look far better than this mess of a Blu-ray.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:12 am

Scsigs wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:04 pm I know Kai's a bit soft, but I prefer that to fucking water colors.
yeah, i seriously cannot stand the look of these, they just look so ugly. it's just impressively unappealing.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸