Funimation's 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JEFFMAN219
Regular

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by JEFFMAN219 » Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:12 pm

Ryuji-Otogi wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:42 pm I’ve stopped trying to nitpick the quality of the remasters and at this point all I want is full screen DBZ. It’s become clear this series will never get the love it deserves in terms of a release that properly remasters the footage. We’ve been bitching and moaning about this since 2006, and I’m tired of bitching and moaning about the same thing 12 years later. I frankly would’ve been fine with these 30th anniversary BluRays. What I’m tired of is FUNi ONLY releasing full screen DBZ in limited print formats that get gobbled up right away and then the only way you can purchase them is second hand off eBay for $800+. Just ridiculous. Just put some vanilla DVD sets out that have full screen Dragon Ball, and I’ll shut up. Just get the damn aspect ratio right. That’s all I’m asking for, but apparently even that is still too much. Say what you want about the remasters being cheap and lazy, it’s this “let’s only make full screen DBZ limited print” practice that is pissing me off more than anything. Just pure crap.
I agree with you 100 percent. I also gave up on waiting for Funimation to release a proper DBZ home release in 4:3. I got the 2013 Blu Rays a couple years back and Kai as well. Its really shitty that they finally decided DBZ in 4:3 but only make it a limited one.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:59 pm

JEFFMAN219 wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:12 pm I agree with you 100 percent. I also gave up on waiting for Funimation to release a proper DBZ home release in 4:3. I got the 2013 Blu Rays a couple years back and Kai as well. Its really shitty that they finally decided DBZ in 4:3 but only make it a limited one.
Also no genuine effort put in to actually giving us an HD remaster. Just upscales & filters.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:00 am

Scsigs wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 10:59 pm
JEFFMAN219 wrote: Thu Dec 19, 2019 7:12 pm I agree with you 100 percent. I also gave up on waiting for Funimation to release a proper DBZ home release in 4:3. I got the 2013 Blu Rays a couple years back and Kai as well. Its really shitty that they finally decided DBZ in 4:3 but only make it a limited one.
Also no genuine effort put in to actually giving us an HD remaster. Just upscales & filters.
The film was re-scanned for BluRay, it's not an upscale. That's something Spain's been doing

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:16 am

mute_proxy wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:00 am
The film was re-scanned for BluRay, it's not an upscale. That's something Spain's been doing
I was talking about FUNi, not Spain.

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:20 am

Scsigs wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:16 am
mute_proxy wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:00 am
I was also. Funimation didn't upscale, they re-scanned their films for BluRay. Spain did an upscale for their OG DB BluRays.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:02 am

mute_proxy wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:20 am
Scsigs wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:16 am
mute_proxy wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:00 am The film was re-scanned for BluRay, it's not an upscale. That's something Spain's been doing
I was also. Funimation didn't upscale, they re-scanned their films for BluRay. Spain did an upscale for their OG DB BluRays.
FUNi DID scan in their film masters, but they didn't actually remaster it. Outside of the Level sets, which weren't finished, every FUNi remaster has been an upscale with oversaturated colors, DVNR, & other shit. It's not a proper remaster.

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:27 am

Scsigs wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:02 am FUNi DID scan in their film masters, but they didn't actually remaster it. Outside of the Level sets, which weren't finished, every FUNi remaster has been an upscale with oversaturated colors, DVNR, & other shit. It's not a proper remaster.
I'm not arguing the remastering part, but the upscale. Digitally upscaling resolution of a lower res video file.
Comparison shots (also the trailer) indicate that it's a new scan, not an upscale. Why do you call it an upscale?

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:23 am

mute_proxy wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:27 am
Scsigs wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:02 am FUNi DID scan in their film masters, but they didn't actually remaster it. Outside of the Level sets, which weren't finished, every FUNi remaster has been an upscale with oversaturated colors, DVNR, & other shit. It's not a proper remaster.
I'm not arguing the remastering part, but the upscale. Digitally upscaling resolution of a lower res video file.
Comparison shots (also the trailer) indicate that it's a new scan, not an upscale. Why do you call it an upscale?
Could be 720p to 1080p upscale.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:26 pm

sangofe wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:23 am
mute_proxy wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:27 am
Could be 720p to 1080p upscale.
Realistically, it's almost certainly not an upscale. It's just a really shitty transfer that ends up having less detail than most standard-def masters of the show. So it's arguably not any better than an upscale, but it most definitely isn't an upscale.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:51 pm

Agreed with Robo. It was my understanding that, while the Orange Bricks and Blu-Ray Seasons are terrible remasters (considering they are destructive to the picture detail), they aren't upscales because they were scanned from high-quality film. I mean, by this point we KNOW what the raw frames are that Funi has in their vaults, and it isn't exactly a VHS tape recording from 1989.

Tylerman29
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tylerman29 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:27 pm

So I did it. I sold this severely botched release and got the Dragon Boxes instead..feels good man. In my current rewatch of Z subbed I’m going to watch the level sets then switch to the Dboxes. I just couldn’t stand the blurry lines and backgrounds..the fake grain is so distracting when the image beneath is so destroyed..it stands out badly.

1 question about the Z movies are the funi blurays the best North American release? Or are the singles better? I popped in worlds strongest blu ray and it looked closer to the levels than say the orange bricks or series blu rays. Like somewhere in between.

Another question actually as well. Is the original Broly double feature blu ray(the trial run with just first two brolys) better than the triple feature one.
DB, Z, and GT subbed are my "canon".
SSJ4 > Any transformation in Super.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:37 pm

Tylerman29 wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:27 pm So I did it. I sold this severely botched release and got the Dragon Boxes instead..feels good man. In my current rewatch of Z subbed I’m going to watch the level sets then switch to the Dboxes. I just couldn’t stand the blurry lines and backgrounds..the fake grain is so distracting when the image beneath is so destroyed..it stands out badly.

1 question about the Z movies are the funi blurays the best North American release? Or are the singles better? I popped in worlds strongest blu ray and it looked closer to the levels than say the orange bricks or series blu rays. Like somewhere in between.

Another question actually as well. Is the original Broly double feature blu ray(the trial run with just first two brolys) better than the triple feature one.
Good job with going for the Dragon Boxes like i also did, anyway on your question about the FUNi Blu-ray releases they are overall decent if you want the movies in widescreen format and for the most part not quite as terrible looking as the Orange Bricks, though the old singles have the 4:3 version although there's the notable flaws of artifacting/compression due to FUNi's not so great encoding of the time and some such as movie 13 having horribly aged looking picture quality with the digibeta masters used there. I don't know if the two movie Broly collection that has movies 8 and 10 is any different than the three movie version.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Tylerman29
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tylerman29 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:55 pm

I know it at least has the Japanese title cards compared to the triple feature. I figured it would also look better considering it was before they committed to doing the double features the way they did. Maybe it was left relatively untouched.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 8:26 pm

Tylerman29 wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:55 pm I know it at least has the Japanese title cards compared to the triple feature. I figured it would also look better considering it was before they committed to doing the double features the way they did. Maybe it was left relatively untouched.
Who knows, though considering that one came out prior to the DF packs by about a year or so maybe they are in fact better looking.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:07 am

Tylerman29 wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 7:27 pm So I did it. I sold this severely botched release and got the Dragon Boxes instead..feels good man. In my current rewatch of Z subbed I’m going to watch the level sets then switch to the Dboxes. I just couldn’t stand the blurry lines and backgrounds..the fake grain is so distracting when the image beneath is so destroyed..it stands out badly.

How much did you get for the anniversary set?

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:40 am

Overall the movie remasters are really good. Movie 6 has an overtly blue color grading(not necessarily a bad thing), and Movie 8 is really bright and soft(this is the only one I would say looks bad), but besides that they're really good. Movies 5, 7, 9 - 13 look especially good, imo.

Although if you want the best experience, definitely try to get your hands on the Amazon versions of Toei's remaster, if thats a possibility for you.

Tylerman29
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tylerman29 » Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:09 pm

DHM211 wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:40 am
Although if you want the best experience, definitely try to get your hands on the Amazon versions of Toei's remaster, if thats a possibility for you.
I don’t think that’s possible outside of 3rd party means correct?
sangofe wrote: Sat Jan 04, 2020 2:07 am

How much did you get for the anniversary set?
About $400 for just the discs. No one seems to want the mediocre statue and book 😂

Trachta10
Beyond Newbie

Post by Trachta10 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:49 pm

Where can I find Dragon Ball in this quality?

https://youtu.be/b-J302TNg2g

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:51 pm

Trachta10 wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:49 pm Where can I find Dragon Ball in this quality?

By using a generic anime upscaling filter.

Trachta10
Beyond Newbie

Post by Trachta10 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:02 am

KBABZ wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:51 pm
Trachta10 wrote: Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:49 pm Where can I find Dragon Ball in this quality?

By using a generic anime upscaling filter.
haha i don't think so, this is what the opening looks like after upscaling it,
just compare them

Upscaled
https://youtu.be/dPwOO3-4ojk

Remastered?