Funimation's 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:16 pm

I'm not going to pretend Geekdom has never made any mistakes, he has admitted to them himself, but in general I think he has great intentions and does want to lead the fandom in the right direction with regards to their information. He is good friends with the voice actors, the staff at Funimation and is known by others who have worked on the series, including some in Japan. All of whom I think trust him for a reason. Much like with Super 2.0 life happens, plans change and what he was told months ago may have altered course but there is still some truth to his scoops, but we may not know what that is for some time.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:19 pm

Meh, I gotta be honest my opinion on this remaster has softened a bit recently, and regardless, FUNimation doing a mainstream, non-limited edition, mass market release of the show in 4:3 is a win in my opinion.
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:46 pm

VanceRefrigeration wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 3:19 pm People shouldn't get their hopes up about Geekdom's rumor of the Toei remaster. I wouldn't be surprised if he just heard from some Funimation employee that a "new remaster" was coming, which was just the 30th Anniversary set, and the "from Toei" part was referring to the 16mm film coming from Toei. And so it all got miscommunicated into "a new remaster from Toei". Of course, that doesn't mean that Toei won't ever do a remaster sometime in the future, but I get the feeling that this Geekdom rumor just ain't it.
Remember that Geekdom has been talking about this since before the 30th sets.

At one point, Toei posted various screenshots of cels on Twitter, and Geekdom made a huge fuss "see! this is what Toei's been working on!", and he outright made fun of people who told him he was wrong...
When the 30th sets were announced, he said "oh, these are the toei sets that i know are coming! you can all trust me on this, i'm legit!!", then he doubled down on that when we saw the first previews, and didn't admit his fault until after the sets were actually out.
When the Spanish Blu-rays were announced, he did the same dance again.
And now he's doing it yet again, despite there being no real confirmation.

The thing people have to understand is this -- Geekdom isn't a journalist. He doesn't report news, he talks about his opinion, he talks whatever rumours he's heard, and he's ultimately aiming to just get clicks. That's not a criticism of him as a person, or as a YouTuber, that's just a fact about the nature of his channel.
I'm sure he's a nice guy, and a lot of people like his online persona, but he is not a journalist, and you're gonna be disappointed if you watch his videos expecting for serious journalism, rather than the equivalent of going down the pub with a guy who's been in the scene for a few decades and hears a lot of the goings-on.

... So yeah, don't take his talk of a new Toei remaster seriously.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:57 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:46 pm
VanceRefrigeration wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 3:19 pm People shouldn't get their hopes up about Geekdom's rumor of the Toei remaster. I wouldn't be surprised if he just heard from some Funimation employee that a "new remaster" was coming, which was just the 30th Anniversary set, and the "from Toei" part was referring to the 16mm film coming from Toei. And so it all got miscommunicated into "a new remaster from Toei". Of course, that doesn't mean that Toei won't ever do a remaster sometime in the future, but I get the feeling that this Geekdom rumor just ain't it.
Remember that Geekdom has been talking about this since before the 30th sets.

At one point, Toei posted various screenshots of cels on Twitter, and Geekdom made a huge fuss "see! this is what Toei's been working on!", and he outright made fun of people who told him he was wrong...
When the 30th sets were announced, he said "oh, these are the toei sets that i know are coming! you can all trust me on this, i'm legit!!", then he doubled down on that when we saw the first previews, and didn't admit his fault until after the sets were actually out.

The thing people have to understand is this -- Geekdom isn't a journalist. He doesn't report news, he talks about his opinion, he talks whatever rumours he's heard, and he's ultimately aiming to just get clicks. That's not a criticism of him as a person, or as a YouTuber, that's just a fact about the nature of his channel.
I'm sure he's a nice guy, and a lot of people like his online persona, but he is not a journalist, and you're gonna be disappointed if you watch his videos expecting for serious journalism, rather than the equivalent of going down the pub with a guy who's been in the scene for a few decades and hears a lot of the goings-on.

... So yeah, don't take his talk of a new Toei remaster seriously.
I was thinking it was this guy but I wasnt 100% sure if it was him or another youtuber.

Honestly, Kanzenshuu is really the only place I trust for DB related news.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:14 pm

Journalism is a dying art anyway, at least in its traditional form. Even a lot of the broadsheets you find these days are agenda driven and littered with opinion pieces, even with the COVID pandemic there has been a remarkable lack of reliable information. Good journalists are a minority now, and Dragon Ball is far from the only franchise without one to represent it.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:40 pm

Fuck's sake, screenshots of this bullshit ass release makes me irrationally angry. Because you can see a nugget of what we could've gotten.

Like, if this shit was gonna be an expensive ass limited premium release...why not actually do a full-on remaster and get good ROI????
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:46 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:14 pm Journalism is a dying art anyway, at least in its traditional form. Even a lot of the broadsheets you find these days are agenda driven and littered with opinion pieces, even with the COVID pandemic there has been a remarkable lack of reliable information. Good journalists are a minority now, and Dragon Ball is far from the only franchise without one to represent it.
Yes I wish anime had their own version of someone like Jim Sterling.
"Why run away from something you're not afraid of?" - Goku

JEFFMAN219
Regular

Post by JEFFMAN219 » Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:47 pm

Last edited by JEFFMAN219 on Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JEFFMAN219
Regular

Post by JEFFMAN219 » Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:47 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:48 pm Looks like this is getting a steelbook release.
"New anime announced by Funimation! Dragon Ball Z Steelbooks (in 4:3 aspect ratio)"
Source: RightStuff
Image Image Image
Funimation is just milking DBZ to death at this point lol. I may pick these up as I want to own this series in its correct aspect ratio.

I just feel bad for the fans who bought the 30th anniversary release last year thinking that was a once in a lifetime release.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:03 pm

They're up on FUNimation.com for a little cheaper for those interested ($44.99)
https://www.funimation.com/shop/home-vi ... blr-00677/
https://www.funimation.com/shop/home-vi ... blr-00678/
https://www.funimation.com/shop/home-vi ... blr-00679/
JEFFMAN219 wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:47 pm
eledoremassis02 wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:48 pm Looks like this is getting a steelbook release.
"New anime announced by Funimation! Dragon Ball Z Steelbooks (in 4:3 aspect ratio)"
Image Image Image
Funimation is just milking DBZ to death at this point lol. I may pick these up as I want to own this series in its correct aspect ratio.

I just feel bad for the fans who bought the 30th anniversary release last year thinking that was a once in a lifetime release.
Dont worry, only way I would feel like if I got ripped offed would be if these had improved PQ and I doubt that :lol:

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:21 pm

Same price as on RightStuf. And even with this price, these will collectively still be more than the 30th set was, which is kind of hilarious.
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

JEFFMAN219
Regular

Post by JEFFMAN219 » Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:46 pm

PremiumSalt wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:21 pm
Same price as on RightStuf. And even with this price, these will collectively still be more than the 30th set was, which is kind of hilarious.
Looks like they're releasing the first 3 seasons on the same day. Strange.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:58 pm

PremiumSalt wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:21 pm
Oh dang, I thought they were 49.99 :lol: My bad

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:04 pm

Once they hit Amazon and I see what the prices are there I'll decide whether I buy online or buy local [edit]because I'd like to at least own DBZ in 4:3 on Blu ray even if it's not a new Toei remaster.[/edit]
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

VanceRefrigeration
Not-So-Newbie

Post by VanceRefrigeration » Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:18 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:16 pm I'm not going to pretend Geekdom has never made any mistakes, he has admitted to them himself, but in general I think he has great intentions and does want to lead the fandom in the right direction with regards to their information. He is good friends with the voice actors, the staff at Funimation and is known by others who have worked on the series, including some in Japan. All of whom I think trust him for a reason. Much like with Super 2.0 life happens, plans change and what he was told months ago may have altered course but there is still some truth to his scoops, but we may not know what that is for some time.
I don't want to get into the business of attacking or defending him. All I'm saying is that people shouldn't get their hopes up. After two years of saying a remaster is coming, he has very frequently made assumptions about that topic. Any time a company says they're doing a BD release, he will be the first to say something like "See, this is the remaster I was talking about all along", and so his legions of fans get excited. When it comes to people with inside sources, this sort of thing happens all the time. Sometimes plans will change. Sometimes, they are lied to. And sometimes, there is a misunderstanding. In this particular case, I think it was a misunderstanding. "Remaster from Toei", probably meant "remaster [made] from [materials given to us by] Toei", aka the 30th Anniversary set.
Robo4900 wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 5:46 pm At one point, Toei posted various screenshots of cels on Twitter, and Geekdom made a huge fuss "see! this is what Toei's been working on!", and he outright made fun of people who told him he was wrong...
This time he says there are "facts proving it" that there's a Toei remaster coming. What proof? What facts? Even if some company employee told him something was on the way, they wouldn't go out of their way to send him proof. So yeah, one little thing he was told (which was probably a misunderstanding), has been exaggerated into a proven fact. I just don't buy it. But hey, I'd love to "take the L" on this at some point, as he likes to say.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:02 pm

Geekdom is like those guys predicting the apocalypse by moving the date and asking you to pay them for survival kits for the 37th time.

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:11 pm

Image Image Image

Ahhh :P I pretty much knew they were gonna do this when I bought the 30th set. lol that's why I said when I get it and now since I have the all the dragonboxes, there's zero point in ever rebuying the Z series again. I own it in too many fashions and have already now given two full complete set series of Z away.
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:26 pm

samuraix123 wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:11 pm
Image Image Image

I own it in too many fashions
I want a Samuraix123 fasion show!!

ArmenianPepsi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ArmenianPepsi » Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:40 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:26 pm
samuraix123 wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:11 pm

I own it in too many fashions
I want a Samuraix123 fasion show!!
I second that request :lol:
First time Dragon Ball fan as of March 2020. Still learning the ropes. Nothing much else to say,

ArmenianPepsi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ArmenianPepsi » Sat Aug 15, 2020 9:42 pm

jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:40 pm Fuck's sake, screenshots of this bullshit ass release makes me irrationally angry. Because you can see a nugget of what we could've gotten.

Like, if this shit was gonna be an expensive ass limited premium release...why not actually do a full-on remaster and get good ROI????
The bigger tease is that Funi showed off multiple full frame, unaltered shots on their blog post last year and they look so tantalizing. So close yet so far.
First time Dragon Ball fan as of March 2020. Still learning the ropes. Nothing much else to say,