Funimation's 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ect5150
Advanced Regular

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by ect5150 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:07 pm

Kuwabara wrote:All of this is further compounded by how a large amount of anime much less popular than Dragon Ball manage to get quality, affordable home releases just as a matter of course.
Don't even get me started! So I'm a Ranma 1/2 fan as well. That series had a messed up DVD release (poor quality, VERY over priced, etc...). But they recently brought over the series remastered onto BluRay and it is a dream cone true for that show. Imagine DragonBox clarity (with the proper colors as you saw during the broadcast), 4:3, no DNR (or VERY little, so it's still grainy)... original openings with straight Japanese text. In my opinion, that series had the perfect remaster. I need DB/DBZ/GT like that as well. EXAMPLE - its just compressed a bit

Here's hoping!
ect5150
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.
DB DBox color corrections & DBox color corrections.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:25 pm

So, I'm being VERY optimistic, but is anyone else hoping that FUNi's getting Toei's remastered masters for the movies, specials, & shows for this? Like, Toei for the last 4 or 5 years almost has been REALLY trying to hit it out of the park internationally.
Kai: The Final Chapters: Initially made for international markets & only shown in Japan because Toei needed filler on Fuji TV because Toriko got cancelled.
Battle of Gods: Got the extended cut at the same time as the theatrical on home media.
Resurrection F: Released DUBBED only a MONTH after the Japanese release in theaters & the home media release followed. Unfortunately, no extended version yet.
Dragon Ball Super: Took too long to start being dubbed & released on official streaming platforms, but Toei's allowing FUNi to do so. Plus, the home media releases have 13 episodes each as opposed to Toei's 12.
Dragon Ball Super: Broly: Same as Res F, it got its dub release in theaters a month after the Japanese release. The home media release is coming in April. The film was also written by Toriyama to capitalize on Broly's international fame/infamy.

So, what if Toei's been remastering the TV shows for a decently close simultaneous global release? The films & specials would be the start, then they'd release the shows. THEN a few months later, we'd get better releases worldwide that what's already out.
What could THEN happen is that FUNi puts their old releases out of print & then replace them on DVD & Blu-Ray with new, better masters. What they could THEN do are both standard & limited editions of the releases (which is something I never got why they haven't done before) so we can get Dragon Box-style releases for a little while, but then they'd still have the better masters used for in-print releases of the shows, specials, & movies. Think the Sailor Moon releases. Releases like THOSE for DB would be great for the longevity of the franchise going forward. They'd also be more straight forward & everyone would be able to own the episodes in the best format possible & we'd finally have a good release for Z that isn't terrible, or great, but for a limited time.
This is all me being hopeful, but I DO hope these would be considered by FUNi.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:31 pm

Scsigs wrote:So, I'm being VERY optimistic, but is anyone else hoping that FUNi's getting Toei's remastered masters for the movies, specials, & shows for this? Like, Toei for the last 4 or 5 years almost has been REALLY trying to hit it out of the park internationally.
Kai: The Final Chapters: Initially made for international markets & only shown in Japan because Toei needed filler on Fuji TV because Toriko got cancelled.
Battle of Gods: Got the extended cut at the same time as the theatrical on home media.
Resurrection F: Released DUBBED only a MONTH after the Japanese release in theaters & the home media release followed. Unfortunately, no extended version yet.
Dragon Ball Super: Took too long to start being dubbed & released on official streaming platforms, but Toei's allowing FUNi to do so. Plus, the home media releases have 13 episodes each as opposed to Toei's 12.
Dragon Ball Super: Broly: Same as Res F, it got its dub release in theaters a month after the Japanese release. The home media release is coming in April. The film was also written by Toriyama to capitalize on Broly's international fame/infamy.

So, what if Toei's been remastering the TV shows for a decently close simultaneous global release? The films & specials would be the start, then they'd release the shows. THEN a few months later, we'd get better releases worldwide that what's already out.
What could THEN happen is that FUNi puts their old releases out of print & then replace them on DVD & Blu-Ray with new, better masters. What they could THEN do are both standard & limited editions of the releases (which is something I never got why they haven't done before) so we can get Dragon Box-style releases for a little while, but then they'd still have the better masters used for in-print releases of the shows, specials, & movies. Think the Sailor Moon releases. Releases like THOSE for DB would be great for the longevity of the franchise going forward. They'd also be more straight forward & everyone would be able to own the episodes in the best format possible & we'd finally have a good release for Z that isn't terrible, or great, but for a limited time.
Who knows? That does at least sound plausible if this is going to be a joint thing between the two companies.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Tue Feb 19, 2019 5:38 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:Who knows? That does at least sound plausible if this is going to be a joint thing between the two companies.
Hey, if we can get the spiritual successor to the love child of the Level sets & the Dragon Boxes we never got, I'd take it wholeheartedly.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:13 pm

Scsigs wrote:
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:Who knows? That does at least sound plausible if this is going to be a joint thing between the two companies.
Hey, if we can get the spiritual successor to the love child of the Level sets & the Dragon Boxes we never got, I'd take it wholeheartedly.
I mean, we're long overdue for a proper release since the Levels went belly up and FUNi's been milking their crappy widescreen and DNR'd to oblivion BD remastered sets for five or six years now.

ect5150
Advanced Regular

Post by ect5150 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:52 pm

Scsigs wrote: So, what if Toei's been remastering the TV shows for a decently close simultaneous global release?
This is what I'm hoping for... and they are bringing FUNI on board to help split the costs and use their experience in the process at this point. I guess we'll soon find out.

However, I'm worried its just "here is a new movie box set" since we know those are done.
ect5150
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.
DB DBox color corrections & DBox color corrections.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:30 pm

ect5150 wrote:
Scsigs wrote: So, what if Toei's been remastering the TV shows for a decently close simultaneous global release?
This is what I'm hoping for... and they are bringing FUNI on board to help split the costs and use their experience in the process at this point. I guess we'll soon find out.

However, I'm worried its just "here is a new movie box set" since we know those are done.
I mean, I'd even take that, since DB Movie 2 could use a better master, since they halved the framerate for some reason. Plus, after rewatching the first 2 Broly movies, I'd want a better master to watch. Plus, I want the 2 TV specials in 4:3 rather than cropped 16:9.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:35 pm

Scsigs wrote:
ect5150 wrote:

I mean, I'd even take that, since DB Movie 2 could use a better master, since they halved the framerate for some reason. Plus, after rewatching the first 2 Broly movies, I'd want a better master to watch. Plus, I want the 2 TV specials in 4:3 rather than cropped 16:9.
In the case of Sleeping Princess i got the old DVD from 2005 by itself apart from the box set, especially since it has the actual proper version of the film without the horrendous butchering of the frame rate of the four movie set. As for the Bardock and Trunks specials obviously i got the original singles because again like the show the specials are meant to be seen in the intended 4:3 rather than faux widescreen.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:12 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:In the case of Sleeping Princess i got the old DVD from 2005 by itself apart from the box set, especially since it has the actual proper version of the film without the horrendous butchering of the frame rate of the four movie set. As for the Bardock and Trunks specials obviously i got the original singles because again like the show the specials are meant to be seen in the intended 4:3 rather than faux widescreen.
Yeah. I mean, I have DVD or Blu-Ray rips of the shows & movies already in their original formats. I'd just love to have a physical copy for my collection.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:33 pm

Scsigs wrote:
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:In the case of Sleeping Princess i got the old DVD from 2005 by itself apart from the box set, especially since it has the actual proper version of the film without the horrendous butchering of the frame rate of the four movie set. As for the Bardock and Trunks specials obviously i got the original singles because again like the show the specials are meant to be seen in the intended 4:3 rather than faux widescreen.
Yeah. I mean, I have DVD or Blu-Ray rips of the shows & movies already in their original formats. I'd just love to have a physical copy for my collection.
It's good to have the proper versions without all of the issues that plague the later releases of the aforementioned.

Char Aznable
Regular

Post by Char Aznable » Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:24 am

Scsigs wrote:So, I'm being VERY optimistic, but is anyone else hoping that FUNi's getting Toei's remastered masters for the movies, specials, & shows for this? Like, Toei for the last 4 or 5 years almost has been REALLY trying to hit it out of the park internationally.

And the moment Toei starts censoring the series is when I drop out. I'm still hoping they'll redo the movies when they bring them stateside, because that whole thing is bullshit. Just give me the damn material in a proper format already, what's so hard about that? And no, I'm not going to spend $100-$300 for each out of print Dragon Box, I shouldn't have to do that just to own the un-fucked with show.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:51 am

Char Aznable wrote:

And the moment Toei starts censoring the series is when I drop out. I'm still hoping they'll redo the movies when they bring them stateside, because that whole thing is bullshit. Just give me the damn material in a proper format already, what's so hard about that? And no, I'm not going to spend $100-$300 for each out of print Dragon Box, I shouldn't have to do that just to own the un-fucked with show.
I have actually gotten pretty lucky with tracking down the Dragon Boxes for good deals on eBay, mostly by finding auctions in the wild by sellers who were listing them for less than $100. The most that i have personally paid for any one of the boxes is about $80 on the high end but no more than that. To me personally it's worth it because it is currently the best available presentation for Z at this point. Now here's to hoping that i will eventually find volumes 4 and 7 for decent amounts.

Char Aznable
Regular

Post by Char Aznable » Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:58 am

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:
Char Aznable wrote:

I have actually gotten pretty lucky with tracking down the Dragon Boxes for good deals on eBay, mostly by finding auctions in the wild by sellers who were listing them for less than $100. The most that i have personally paid for any one of the boxes is about $80 on the high end but no more than that. To me personally it's worth it because it is currently the best available presentation for Z at this point. Now here's to hoping that i will eventually find volumes 4 and 7 for decent amounts.
Funny enough after posting this I decided to take a chance and see what was on eBay, and I saw a listing for Buy it Now Box 2 from Canada for what ended up being around $70 shipped. I took a chance because it looks like a DVD shop that offers returns and hell, even if they didn't eBay sides with the buyer 95% of the time anyway if it was a scam. I may have just found a hell of a deal. Hopefully between eBay, maybe Reddit, and here on Kanzenshuu I can track down the other six boxes now if it's legit. I know 2 and 4 are the hardest ones so I may have just gotten half of the hard part done.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:06 pm

Char Aznable wrote:
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:
Char Aznable wrote: And the moment Toei starts censoring the series is when I drop out. I'm still hoping they'll redo the movies when they bring them stateside, because that whole thing is bullshit. Just give me the damn material in a proper format already, what's so hard about that? And no, I'm not going to spend $100-$300 for each out of print Dragon Box, I shouldn't have to do that just to own the un-fucked with show.
Funny enough after posting this I decided to take a chance and see what was on eBay, and I saw a listing for Buy it Now Box 2 from Canada for what ended up being around $70 shipped. I took a chance because it looks like a DVD shop that offers returns and hell, even if they didn't eBay sides with the buyer 95% of the time anyway if it was a scam. I may have just found a hell of a deal. Hopefully between eBay and here on Kanzenshuu I can track down the other six boxes now if it's legit. I know 2 and 4 are the hardest ones so I may have just gotten half of the hard part done.
Wow that sounds like one hell of a deal for the most elusive out of the seven boxes, i really hope i get that lucky with 4 and 7 to complete the collection.

Char Aznable
Regular

Post by Char Aznable » Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:11 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:
Char Aznable wrote:
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:
Funny enough after posting this I decided to take a chance and see what was on eBay, and I saw a listing for Buy it Now Box 2 from Canada for what ended up being around $70 shipped. I took a chance because it looks like a DVD shop that offers returns and hell, even if they didn't eBay sides with the buyer 95% of the time anyway if it was a scam. I may have just found a hell of a deal. Hopefully between eBay and here on Kanzenshuu I can track down the other six boxes now if it's legit. I know 2 and 4 are the hardest ones so I may have just gotten half of the hard part done.
Wow that sounds like one hell of a deal for the most elusive out of the seven boxes, i really hope i get that lucky with 4 and 7 to complete the collection.
I just don't have a lot of confidence in these Blu-ray remasters now that Toei has shown their hand with the censoring. I don't think they're going to back and restore the movies and I think they're going to keep doing it for the series. I hope I'm proved wrong and hell part of me will still want to buy them even if they are just because they're proper 1080 but I'll still want the Dragon Boxes for the series proper, and if Toei DOES censor this project I think the DBox demand will increase sending prices up even more, so I'm trying to get the jump on it now but only if this Box 2 listing was legit.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:26 pm

Char Aznable wrote:
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:
Char Aznable wrote: Funny enough after posting this I decided to take a chance and see what was on eBay, and I saw a listing for Buy it Now Box 2 from Canada for what ended up being around $70 shipped. I took a chance because it looks like a DVD shop that offers returns and hell, even if they didn't eBay sides with the buyer 95% of the time anyway if it was a scam. I may have just found a hell of a deal. Hopefully between eBay and here on Kanzenshuu I can track down the other six boxes now if it's legit. I know 2 and 4 are the hardest ones so I may have just gotten half of the hard part done.
I just don't have a lot of confidence in these Blu-ray remasters now that Toei has shown their hand with the censoring. I don't think they're going to back and restore the movies and I think they're going to keep doing it for the series. I hope I'm proved wrong and hell part of me will still want to buy them even if they are just because they're proper 1080 but I'll still want the Dragon Boxes for the series proper, and if Toei DOES censor this project I think the DBox demand will increase sending prices up even more, so I'm trying to get the jump on it now but only if this Box 2 listing was legit.
Same with me, i have been gradually tracking them down because there was no way in hell i was going to waste my money on FUNi's DNR'd to oblivion 16:9 "remastered" versions. With that fact in mind the Dragon Boxes were the way to go because the quality just exceeds most of the other releases using their own mutli gen masters.

Char Aznable
Regular

Post by Char Aznable » Wed Feb 20, 2019 12:42 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:
Char Aznable wrote:
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:
Same with me, i have been gradually tracking them down because there was no way in hell i was going to waste my money on FUNi's DNR'd to oblivion 16:9 "remastered" versions. With that fact in mind the Dragon Boxes were the way to go because the quality just exceeds most of the other releases using their own mutli gen masters.
Same, I have and will continue to refuse to support widescreen faux-mastered DBZ in any way shape or form. If they had completed the Level sets, I would've gladly purchased those over the more limited and expensive DBoxes, but alas it wasn't meant to be. Hopefully I can collect all seven this year before these are formally introduced because I really think they're going to go full-steam ahead with the censoring, Toei doesn't care what anybody thinks.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:34 pm

What episode of z has the first middle finger, cause i.wondering how long it would to take to find out if the show is censored

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:39 pm

Char Aznable wrote:
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:
Char Aznable wrote: I just don't have a lot of confidence in these Blu-ray remasters now that Toei has shown their hand with the censoring. I don't think they're going to back and restore the movies and I think they're going to keep doing it for the series. I hope I'm proved wrong and hell part of me will still want to buy them even if they are just because they're proper 1080 but I'll still want the Dragon Boxes for the series proper, and if Toei DOES censor this project I think the DBox demand will increase sending prices up even more, so I'm trying to get the jump on it now but only if this Box 2 listing was legit.
Same, I have and will continue to refuse to support widescreen faux-mastered DBZ in any way shape or form. If they had completed the Level sets, I would've gladly purchased those over the more limited and expensive DBoxes, but alas it wasn't meant to be. Hopefully I can collect all seven this year before these are formally introduced because I really think they're going to go full-steam ahead with the censoring, Toei doesn't care what anybody thinks.

Yeah, i too would have went with the Levels had they not unfortunately gone belly up because of FUNi's big mistake of putting them out too soon in the midst of other releases and the disappointing sales that resulted. Maybe if they had waited another year or two and released them in 2013 or later well after Kai had finished releasing then perhaps they would have been better received and the series could have been released in it's entirety in that format. Since they sadly fell through the Dragon Boxes have been my only option for getting the show free of the problems that plague both the Season releases. It's been a long and arduous process to be sure, but to me it's been worth it.

In terms of the movies however, i don't mind them as 16:9 though i still intend on getting the rest of the old 4:3 singles of them to have all 13 in both fullscreen and widescreen aspect ratios.

Char Aznable
Regular

Post by Char Aznable » Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:51 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:
Char Aznable wrote:
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:

Yeah, i too would have went with the Levels had they not unfortunately gone belly up because of FUNi's big mistake of putting them out too soon in the midst of other releases and the disappointing sales that resulted. Maybe if they had waited another year or two and released them in 2013 or later well after Kai had finished releasing then perhaps they would have been better received and the series could have been released in it's entirety in that format. Since they sadly fell through the Dragon Boxes have been my only option for getting the show free of the problems that plague both the Season releases. It's been a long and arduous process to be sure, but to me it's been worth it.

In terms of the movies however, i don't mind them as 16:9 though i still intend on getting the rest of the old 4:3 singles of them to have all 13 in both fullscreen and widescreen aspect ratios.
I'll buy the movies in 16:9 all day, that's how they were shown in Japan so I have no problem with that, I actually prefer it to 4:3. It's the series that I will not buy in 16:9, that was completely unnecessary to do especially with the other two series widely available in 4:3 and, hell, Kai in 4:3. I would've purchased Kai in 16:9 no problem! It just baffles me that Z is the one they choose to insist on 16:9 with, it's nonsensical.