Funimation's 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Scsigs
I Live Here

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by Scsigs » Wed May 22, 2019 9:16 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 9:09 pm I was just wondering. What happens if something like the figure ends up not coming with this set? I can sort of see that happening
People can sue FUNi for false advertising. Worked with Bathesda.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Tylerman29
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tylerman29 » Wed May 22, 2019 9:50 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 9:09 pm I was just wondering. What happens if something like the figure ends up not coming with this set? I can sort of see that happening
Doubt that, but I could see something dumb like the "artbook" being about 10 pages.
DB, Z, and GT subbed are my "canon".
SSJ4 > Any transformation in Super.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Wed May 22, 2019 10:53 pm

Tylerman29 wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 9:50 pm
Doubt that, but I could see something dumb like the "artbook" being about 10 pages.
Yeah, like even less pages than the book that was part of the packaging of the Rock the Dragon set.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

LostTimeLord
Beyond Newbie

Post by LostTimeLord » Thu May 23, 2019 4:44 pm

https://youtu.be/PZIllwOXH28

Funimation's uploaded 'Why We Love Dragon Ball Z: Part One', with (I think) some more "Black Brick" footage. In typical Funimation trailer style, the sound mix goes pretty bad at 1:30ish. Otherwise it plays out like a trailer for a potentially interesting documentary about DBZ's localization... but it's the first part in a series, so I suppose the whole thing will be paced like this?

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Thu May 23, 2019 10:28 pm

Snapshots from the DBZ documentary and the OP ED reel
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

Tylerman29
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tylerman29 » Thu May 23, 2019 11:19 pm

Can't wait until the comparisons start rolling in. I live for screenshot comparisons of DB home releases.

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Fri May 24, 2019 1:01 am

That spirit bomb Goku is smudgy as hell and I hate it.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Fri May 24, 2019 6:15 am

Ugh, those screen shots from the documentary look so bad.

ect5150
Advanced Regular

Post by ect5150 » Fri May 24, 2019 6:51 am

Shaddy wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 1:01 am That spirit bomb Goku is smudgy as hell and I hate it.
A lot of those images are very blocky (I'm guessing from YouTube compression).

However, I don't have confidence that "smudgy" will be fixed somehow in the actual release.
ect5150
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.
DB DBox color corrections & DBox color corrections.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Fri May 24, 2019 8:28 am

Yep, that looks like an oversaturated, DNR smear fest to me. Then again with that said it's not nearly as blown out color and contrast wise as the Season BD's/Orange Bricks and the original 4:3 aspect ratio (minus the extreme zoom on episode 1) is undoubtedly a step forward but by the same token if only this were a Level set esque type of continuation for the entire series.

Of course, i'm obviously sticking with my Dragon Boxes as my definitive releases of the series. I'm pretty sure others who own them also have that sentiment as well.

Tylerman29
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tylerman29 » Fri May 24, 2019 9:24 am

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 8:28 am
Of course, i'm obviously sticking with my Dragon Boxes as my definitive releases of the series. I'm pretty sure others who own them also have that sentiment as well.
I think that might be the 20th time you’ve said that. 😂

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Fri May 24, 2019 9:43 am

Tylerman29 wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 9:24 am
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 8:28 am
I think that might be the 20th time you’ve said that. 😂
Hahaha, it seems i have certainly beaten the drum on that point enough in the course of this thread. But seriously though, that's because it's still the best available release and not to mention most complete in relation to the original airings and of which no other version put out by FUNimation has ever been including this 30th Anniversary BD set. True, they are 480p standard definition transfers of 16mm (35mm for certain episodes) film done back in 2003 but the point still stands that aside from some small flaws they're the best quality release we have ever gotten here.

master_k

Post by master_k » Mon May 27, 2019 1:43 pm

I purchased this release and I’m wondering, has Funimation specified whether or not this release will come with the two Tv specials?

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Mon May 27, 2019 1:46 pm

master_k wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 1:43 pm I purchased this release and I’m wondering, has Funimation specified whether or not this release will come with the two Tv specials?
No. Just the episodes & some bonus features. They treat them like movies, so it's not likely. Granted, with the remastering process they use, you don't WANT them looking like the preview stills they've released, my guy. The cropped BR release of those are still better, ironically enough, even though they're not supposed to be cropped.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Mon May 27, 2019 5:00 pm

Scsigs wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 1:46 pm
master_k wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 1:43 pm I purchased this release and I’m wondering, has Funimation specified whether or not this release will come with the two Tv specials?
No. Just the episodes & some bonus features. They treat them like movies, so it's not likely. Granted, with the remastering process they use, you don't WANT them looking like the preview stills they've released, my guy. The cropped BR release of those are still better, ironically enough, even though they're not supposed to be cropped.
That's why i got the old single discs of the specials just to have them in the proper 4:3 because they don't look right cropped to faux 16:9 wiidescreen as the series does on the Orange Bricks, though i know they aren't perfect due to the time in which they were released back when FUNimation was leaving the eyecatches out as most of their earliest bilingual releases were from the two Ginyu discs up through at least the Freeza or Androids episodes. I may eventually get the Japanese Special Selection DVD somewhere down the line to have them both in Dragon Box quality, though for now the FUNi singles will do even with their imperfections.

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Mon May 27, 2019 6:06 pm

Tylerman29 wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 11:19 pm Can't wait until the comparisons start rolling in. I live for screenshot comparisons of DB home releases.
Me too, I have no interest in this release but you had better believe I'll pore over the comparison images for hours.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Mon May 27, 2019 6:18 pm

Captain Awesome wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 6:06 pm
Tylerman29 wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 11:19 pm Can't wait until the comparisons start rolling in. I live for screenshot comparisons of DB home releases.
Me too, I have no interest in this release but you had better believe I'll pore over the comparison images for hours.
Oh you can bet i'll be browsing through them as well, because the quality comparisons for the different releases always interests me.

ect5150
Advanced Regular

Post by ect5150 » Mon May 27, 2019 6:46 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 6:18 pm
Oh you can bet i'll be browsing through them as well, because the quality comparisons for the different releases always interests me.
Hell -- to that end, we might as well come up with about 50 shots we can use for the upcoming release. And go ahead and grab the same screenshots from the current releases.
ect5150
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.
DB DBox color corrections & DBox color corrections.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue May 28, 2019 1:56 am

This is why I like the ultimate comparison thread. I feel like having a good bank of comparisons from every available release is a great resource to have! The only real snag is that they have to be compatible with Kai and... and...

...wait, has the edited-down version of DBZ ever been released? Is that what the Rock the Dragon set had?

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Tue May 28, 2019 7:29 am

Don't know about edited down, bit the Rock the Dragon release was baaaaad. Bad, bad, bad, bad, bad. It was bery pixelated and had a lot of "grain." But, I have to say that it's pretty much the original footage from TNT Pioneer singles, but with much more subdued colors. While the Pioneer singles didn't have previous episode previews and next episode previews for most episodes, the Rock the Dragon set did.

Anyway, I am excited to create some screen comparisons.