Funimation's 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by KBABZ » Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:55 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:53 pm
KBABZ wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:42 pm
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:26 pm I like the recolor they did to Vegeta and his armor when him and Nappa are sitting on the bug planet
Technically they only re-coloured Vegeta: Nappa is still in the black-and-brown Raditz-style armour, rather than his usual white-and-yellow look.

(I always head-canon'd it that they can change the colour of the armour somehow)
Yeah, it was odd how they fixed Vegeta to his more well known color but not the other. I mean in the original series both had those colors specifically because their's wasn't yet known to the staff at Toei for the reasons mentioned above and i'm not sure why they didn't bother correcting Nappa's for whatever reason.
Because the complaint is always directed at Vegeta, whose difference is far more egregious!

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:03 pm

KBABZ wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:55 pm
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:53 pm
KBABZ wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:42 pm
Technically they only re-coloured Vegeta: Nappa is still in the black-and-brown Raditz-style armour, rather than his usual white-and-yellow look.

(I always head-canon'd it that they can change the colour of the armour somehow)
Yeah, it was odd how they fixed Vegeta to his more well known color but not the other. I mean in the original series both had those colors specifically because their's wasn't yet known to the staff at Toei for the reasons mentioned above and i'm not sure why they didn't bother correcting Nappa's for whatever reason.
Because the complaint is always directed at Vegeta, whose difference is far more egregious!
I mean, when you think about it Vegeta was definitely the more obvious one to fix due to those garish colors of his hair and armor clashing so much with his later proper appearance after it finally showed up in the manga. I guess they figured that Nappa's wasn't as big of a deal even if technically not correct either due to his actually looking more like Saiyan armor proper even though it's in fact not consistent with his own when the two arrive on Earth many episodes later.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:05 am

Just curious what you guys think the chances are of them repackaging this for a standard release later on. And if so, would Funimation finally do away with the 9 Season format and release it as 4 sets like it is now?

And also would it be fair to compare this release to something like the DB Blue Bricks, which were also slightly zoomed in with grain removal? The Blue Bricks seem to get their share of criticism, but are generally considered much more acceptable than the Orange Bricks.

Say if this release had happened several years ago, not as an overpriced collectors item but an affordable standard release and the first ever Blu-ray for Z. Would it have gotten the same backlash then? Or would it have been considered "acceptable", in the same way as the DB Blue Bricks are seen as "acceptable"?

I think the fact that there have been that many other flawed releases in the past, combined with the initial hype that was built up for this in addition to the high price, has really worked against Funimation. By marketing this to the hardcore fans they set people's expectations too high. Had this happened back in 2011 as a more standard release, while there would still be complaints I don't think the backlash would be quite this severe. Going directly from the Orange Bricks to this remaster might have been seen more favourably, and then they could have done a Level Set remaster as a collectors item further down the line.

mikezilla2
Beyond Newbie

Post by mikezilla2 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:05 am

Scsigs wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:14 pm
mikezilla2 wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:05 am We Dont want Q-Tec Near anything if i recall correctly
I mean, Q-Tec did a good job with Kai, but the faults lie in that the way they rotoscoped the original animation to recolor it & traced over damaged frames to recreate them. It resulted in some jarring animation & a softer image. I have a feeling they were a bit rushed, as is Toei's MO for how they do the newer DB shows. Plus, they were obviously working for cheap. I feel like if they were given a good amount of time & budget, they could do a good remaster. Like, Kai only suffers from minor problems, really. Other than those, it's a good remaster. Toei did worse, remember, with TFC.
have you seen Q tecs other upscales ?
pretty much all of them are bad if i recall, some only being good due to source

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:35 am

90sDBZ wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:05 am And also would it be fair to compare this release to something like the DB Blue Bricks, which were also slightly zoomed in with grain removal? The Blue Bricks seem to get their share of criticism, but are generally considered much more acceptable than the Orange Bricks.
I feel like there are a fair few factors at play that make the Black Bricks a different case. First is time: Funimation has had well over a decade of fans complaining about the cropped, smeared release of the show and praise for the limited runs that didn't do this (UUEs and Levels, specifically). Also in that time we got Kai, which was received rather positively despite being known as a 4:3 show. And this is meant to be a set celebrating the 30th anniversary of Z, but it doesn't really do anything to justify its existence for the occasion outside of some near box art and a figure with different arms. Funi's dubbing may have improved but it seems their mastering department is stuck in 2003.

The Blue Bricks are an acceptable product considering they're 4:3 DVDs that contain the Japanese audio (with Kikuchi's music for the dub). The zoom is a bit egregious and the colour correction is just plain wrong (not to mention the DNR still makes things rather watercoloury), but they're okay overall. But the Black Bricks can't really scrape by on just "okay", they need to be special.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:31 pm

90sDBZ wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:05 am Just curious what you guys think the chances are of them repackaging this for a standard release later on. And if so, would Funimation finally do away with the 9 Season format and release it as 4 sets like it is now?
I don't think Funimation will repackage this set into smaller collections anytime soon because their Season Blu-Rays still sell well. Manga UK might do it though. They've had a lot of requests for DBZ on Blu-Ray from what I can tell, but it's doubtful enough of them have the money to buy it all in one go do they might split it into separate collections to offer a cheaper alternative to their customers who still want Z Blu-Rays.

I think KBABZ nailed it with regard to the blue bricks comparison. This set would be more easily forgiven if there wasn't so many releases of DBZ, if it was the first Blu-Ray release it would probably be considered a step up from the orange bricks and an okay alternative if you couldn't afford the Dragon Boxes.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:43 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 1:31 pm I don't think Funimation will repackage this set into smaller collections anytime soon because their Season Blu-Rays still sell well. Manga UK might do it though. They've had a lot of requests for DBZ on Blu-Ray from what I can tell, but it's doubtful enough of them have the money to buy it all in one go do they might split it into separate collections to offer a cheaper alternative to their customers who still want Z Blu-Rays.

I think KBABZ nailed it with regard to the blue bricks comparison. This set would be more easily forgiven if there wasn't so many releases of DBZ, if it was the first Blu-Ray release it would probably be considered a step up from the orange bricks and an okay alternative if you couldn't afford the Dragon Boxes.
It definitely would. Standards change due to a number of circumstances & there's a breaking point for when standards can't be matched with when we know a company won't meet them even a little. When a company releases a product, they need to both meet most expectations, if not exceed them, & be able to make a profit at the same time. This set has shown to everyone that even remotely pays attention to these things that FUNi aren't willing, or are too stupid, to even try. Now, everyone's expectations are as high as ever & no one trusts them anymore. If they can't even put together a good remaster for the 30th anniversary, there's really no hope they'll get it right whenever they arbitrarily decide when the next best time to again rerelease the show would be. I have a feeling they know this to some degree, since the 30th anniversary set didn't get to 6,000 preorders like they wanted. We can hope they'll get it right the next time, but I doubt they ever will.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:55 am

So, I think this clip that FUNi is using for the 20th anniversary of the dub's debut of the "Goku goes Super Saiyan" scene from Z uses the video from the new remaster, since it's 4:3 & there's too much purple in the blacks for the sky. Plus, everything looks like fucking water colors still!
It's in a low resolution thanks to Twitter, as well as in a box in the file rather than in the full aspect ratio, but it's still viewable as the new shitty remaster. Could they be any more transparent that they don't even like the remaster & that they know not a lot of people do either?
https://twitter.com/FUNimation/status/1 ... 99910?s=20

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:29 am

The fact that they're using that master outside of trying to market this set makes me wonder if this is the last time we see it. 10 bucks says that becomes their new standard master of the show and we see a wide release of it at some point.
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:40 am

PremiumSalt wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:29 am The fact that they're using that master outside of trying to market this set makes me wonder if this is the last time we see it. 10 bucks says that becomes their new standard master of the show and we see a wide release of it at some point.
I honestly wouldn't be too surprised if they do eventually replace the 2013/2014 16:9 BD masters at some point with these as the new standard of DBZ releases on Blu-ray going forward.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:21 pm

It wouldn't surprise me, but...who in the hell would that me marketed towards let alone would buy it?

It can't appeal to the casuals who just want the episodes & don't care about the video quality or aspect ratio (in fact, most actually LIKE the fake widescreen or at least don't mind it) as long as they get their shitty Z dub with the "awesome" Falconer score on the discs. Also, they have the older sets already that they're satisfied with enough.

It can't appeal to the hardcores because of the video quality not even remotely being good to any extent & the original Z dub being legit shit.

It can't appeal to newcomers because the dub's terrible & the video quality is shit. Also, Kai's readily available & it has a decent transfer & a better dub, as well as is the more accessible version of the show for eliminating most of the filler in the original Z.

What kind of audience would they be hoping to reach with another rerelease?

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 6:06 pm

Scsigs wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:21 pm It wouldn't surprise me, but...who in the hell would that me marketed towards let alone would buy it?

It can't appeal to the casuals who just want the episodes & don't care about the video quality or aspect ratio (in fact, most actually LIKE the fake widescreen or at least don't mind it) as long as they get their shitty Z dub with the "awesome" Falconer score on the discs. Also, they have the older sets already that they're satisfied with enough.

It can't appeal to the hardcores because of the video quality not even remotely being good to any extent & the original Z dub being legit shit.

It can't appeal to newcomers because the dub's terrible & the video quality is shit. Also, Kai's readily available & it has a decent transfer & a better dub, as well as is the more accessible version of the show for eliminating most of the filler in the original Z.

What kind of audience would they be hoping to reach with another rerelease?
It makes me legitimately sad that fans actually like/prefer the fake widescreen presentation, but even then given the whole "fill my TV" reasoning or whatever others some may have for viewing it that way it still doesn't change the fact that DBZ is a show made and intended to be displayed in 4:3 no exceptions, and that 20% to 25% of the top and bottom that gets cropped off is image that was meant to be shown. That's the complete opposite from the old DB/Z movies, in which while they were indeed animated at 4:3 were made open matte so they could be theatrically shown in the 16:9 aspect ratio because it's what the staff and animators intended.

If only FUNi hadn't made that bone headed decision over a decade ago when creating the Orange Bricks, and just used their existing digibeta masters from the singles just with some touching up for better encoding and overall video quality. Then we wouldnt have had the show being butchered as it was and cropped, DNR'ed to oblivion releases being the standard version sold on store shelves with no easy way to watch it in the correct aspect ratio.

TheMajinRedComet
Patreon Supporter

Post by TheMajinRedComet » Mon Oct 21, 2019 10:42 am

The insane thing is that even through we all hate the orange bricks they are still getting reprinted a decade later. They are probably the highest selling release of DBZ worldwide at this point... Sadly they have probably set a unachievable standard for all future releases in America at least.
Hiei: "So tell me - what's it like living in a constant haze of Stupidity?"
Hiei: "I know as much about games as I do puppies and huggs....Wake me up for the end of world"
Welcome to Super Vegeta's Big Bang Attack.... Welcome to Oblivion!!!
Remember "When things get weird, skip the last saga"-Chris Sabat

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:37 am

90sDBZ wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:05 am Just curious what you guys think the chances are of them repackaging this for a standard release later on. And if so, would Funimation finally do away with the 9 Season format and release it as 4 sets like it is now?

And also would it be fair to compare this release to something like the DB Blue Bricks, which were also slightly zoomed in with grain removal? The Blue Bricks seem to get their share of criticism, but are generally considered much more acceptable than the Orange Bricks.

Say if this release had happened several years ago, not as an overpriced collectors item but an affordable standard release and the first ever Blu-ray for Z. Would it have gotten the same backlash then? Or would it have been considered "acceptable", in the same way as the DB Blue Bricks are seen as "acceptable"?

I think the fact that there have been that many other flawed releases in the past, combined with the initial hype that was built up for this in addition to the high price, has really worked against Funimation. By marketing this to the hardcore fans they set people's expectations too high. Had this happened back in 2011 as a more standard release, while there would still be complaints I don't think the backlash would be quite this severe. Going directly from the Orange Bricks to this remaster might have been seen more favourably, and then they could have done a Level Set remaster as a collectors item further down the line.
TBH, I'd probably pick it up out of curiosity just to have the dub score in 4:3 HD. I own the Orange Bricks; for the right price my standards aren't that high :P
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

LettuceJUMP
Beyond Newbie

Post by LettuceJUMP » Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:46 pm

Today is October 21st. Think within 30 days people will start receiving these?

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:46 pm

LettuceJUMP wrote: Mon Oct 21, 2019 4:46 pm Today is October 21st. Think within 30 days people will start receiving these?
If not, FUNi's getting sued, I hope.

PacificOceanDub
Beyond Newbie

Post by PacificOceanDub » Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:07 pm

The lack of further details on this thing kinda sucks. I honestly forgot all about it sometime in the last 3 or 4 months, so when I remembered today, I thought I’d find a ton of new info. I wonder if Funi will do a little unboxing/showcase of the set on YouTube like they did for Rock the Dragon...
You shouldn’t have to (Cell.) your soul!

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:22 pm

Scsigs wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:14 pm
mikezilla2 wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:05 am We Dont want Q-Tec Near anything if i recall correctly
I mean, Q-Tec did a good job with Kai
They bloody didn't; they degrained Kai with such a strong blurring filter, it was barely above standard-def detail. (Seriously, you can downscale a screenshot from Kai to standard-def, upscale it back to HD, and there's next-to-zero difference. And that's just a still; in motion, you'd never notice the difference between the two. Even the 35mm episodes, which do look significantly sharper, and do actually have HD detail to them, have an ugly, Funi-esque degrained look to them)

Q-TEC did a good job at the colouring. And the redraws in the recap section of the first episode were very well done. But every other aspect of their work on Kai was pretty bad.
It would be much better for Toei to do a hypothetical remaster of the original shows in-house, and remaster it all similarly to how they did the Amazon masters of the movies. Naturally, being 16mm, it wouldn't be as sharp as the movies, but it'd look utterly incredible still. And FAR better than anything Q-TEC would do.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:10 pm

Screenshots from the Dragon Ball bluray got released
https://twitter.com/SelectaVision/statu ... 1734944768

SuperSaiyanPan
Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperSaiyanPan » Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:54 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote: Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:10 pm Screenshots from the Dragon Ball bluray got released
https://twitter.com/SelectaVision/statu ... 1734944768
1) Wrong thread

2) Why the fuck do we not get this in the USA?!