Funimation's 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Char Aznable
Regular

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by Char Aznable » Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:14 pm

I just really call them insults, because not only did they replace the Level sets which were an all-around good product, but I will forever associate them with that poll where FUNi ignored what fans asked for and gave us the opposite and said this is what we actually want. Thanks but no thanks.

rs_chaosmaster
Regular

Post by rs_chaosmaster » Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:21 pm

When do you guys think we find out about this set:

A. This Month
B. April
C. After Super 2019 is officially announced
D. Never its just an early April Fools Joke :D

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sun Mar 17, 2019 10:51 pm

rs_chaosmaster wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:21 pm When do you guys think we find out about this set:

A. This Month
B. April
I'd say B since next month is DBZ's 30th anniversary proper on the 26th.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:10 am

rs_chaosmaster wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 9:21 pm When do you guys think we find out about this set:

A. This Month
B. April
We may get tidbits this month but we will get the full details on April 3rd. (4/3)

Mr.Poot

Post by Mr.Poot » Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:45 am

I just hope they aren't a super limited release like the Dragon Boxes so I don't have to sell one of my kidneys.

ect5150
Advanced Regular

Post by ect5150 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:49 am

Mr.Poot wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:45 am I just hope they aren't a super limited release like the Dragon Boxes so I don't have to sell one of my kidneys.
That's okay -- I'm sure they'll accept a lung!
ect5150
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.
DB DBox color corrections & DBox color corrections.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:32 am

ect5150 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:49 am
Mr.Poot wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:45 am I just hope they aren't a super limited release like the Dragon Boxes so I don't have to sell one of my kidneys.
That's okay -- I'm sure they'll accept a lung!
Either way you have 2 so you could sell both and buy two and sell one when they go out of print to buy a whole new robot body!

Bardo117
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bardo117 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:49 am

Those sets cost $20-$30 at one point..... If you missed out, it's because you thought about it too much.
El Conejo Malo

Bardo117
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bardo117 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:51 am

Scsigs wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:21 pm
Bardo117 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:45 pm Why is there spoiler warnings on a 30 year old show
It's not that. It just reduces the amount of clutter.
I was about to be like
El Conejo Malo

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:08 am

Bardo117 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:49 am
Those sets cost $20-$30 at one point..... If you missed out, it's because you thought about it too much.
The Dragon Boxes were much closer to like $45 or more every time I always saw them when they were first released. And again, there's also the fact that they were released really not that long after the original Season Set release, so anyone that had already been buying those, like myself, wouldn't have been super inclined to buy it again that quickly for a higher price.

Regardless of how much better the Boxes were, the timing of their release couldn't have been more badly chosen.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:15 am

Gyt Kaliba wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:08 am
The Dragon Boxes were much closer to like $45 or more every time I always saw them when they were first released. And again, there's also the fact that they were released really not that long after the original Season Set release, so anyone that had already been buying those, like myself, wouldn't have been super inclined to buy it again that quickly for a higher price.

Regardless of how much better the Boxes were, the timing of their release couldn't have been more badly chosen.
Even with how crazy high i have been seeing them go for on eBay and such i've been finding and buying copies for less than $100. Heck, i bought Dragon Box 1 for a dirt cheap $20 at a DVD store a few years ago. That was definitely one hell of a find if i ever saw one.

Just goes to show that you can find awesome deals for them in the wild every now and again, you just have to look carefully amongst all the scalpers who list ridiculous prices for something that is out of print.

DBZfan29
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DBZfan29 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:31 am

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:15 am

Even with how crazy high i have been seeing them go for on eBay and such i've been finding and buying copies for less than $100. Heck, i bought Dragon Box 1 for a dirt cheap $20 at a DVD store a few years ago. That was definitely one hell of a find if i ever saw one.

Just goes to show that you can find awesome deals for them in the wild every now and again, you just have to look carefully amongst all the scalpers who list ridiculous prices for something that is out of print.
Yeah... I remember going to Best Buy to price match Dragon Box 2 (it was $30 at Target). They said my print out was from a few days ago and the sale ended and changed to $40. I thought it was too much so I passed. Probably one of the stupidest things I’ve ever done.
An interviewer asks, "The soundtrack in Sonic 3 has become legendary. Is it true that you worked with Michael Jackson on it?" Takashi Iizuka kills all of our hopes and dreams by replying, "You know, those are just rumors, and SEGA does not want to say anything about them. So they will forever be just rumors..." WHY!?

Char Aznable
Regular

Post by Char Aznable » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:43 am

DBZfan29 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:31 am

Yeah... I remember going to Best Buy to price match Dragon Box 2 (it was $30 at Target). They said my print out was from a few days ago and the sale ended and changed to $40. I thought it was too much so I passed. Probably one of the stupidest things I’ve ever done.
I wouldn't kick yourself too hard, FUNi basically screwed all of us by making no indication those sets were even going to be so limited in the first place until it was too late. I fucked up too, I had Boxes 1-6 and sold them years ago because I didn't think I was ever going to get #7, I thought there was no way FUNi would continue to fuck it up years later, and I needed the money. Well, I didn't get much money, they have continued to fuck it up, and I decided I wanted them back and had to spend a pretty penny to do so.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:52 am

Char Aznable wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:43 am
DBZfan29 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:31 am

I wouldn't kick yourself too hard, FUNi basically screwed all of us by making no indication those sets were even going to be so limited in the first place until it was too late. I fucked up too, I had Boxes 1-6 and sold them years ago because I didn't think I was ever going to get #7, I thought there was no way FUNi would continue to fuck it up years later, and I needed the money. Well, I didn't get much money, they have continued to fuck it up, and I decided I wanted them back and had to spend a pretty penny to do so.
Yeah, and i have been quite lucky with finding them for the prices i did on the eBay auctions. I found all of my of searching has been worth it to own an actual quality release of the show that isn't screwed up in one way or another, like the vast
majority of FUNi's other releases. I still have to get volumes 4 and 7 in order to have the collection complete at long last.

And yes, they really made a big mistake by waiting until they were nearly completed before dropping the bomb on everyone that the release was limited. Despite making absolutely no mention of the sort when they were first announced back in 2009. Seriously, there was not even so much as a hint of the notion until either shortly before or after Dragon Box 7 was released.

Bardo117
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bardo117 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:42 pm

Here is a https://www.kanzenshuu.com/2011/07/10/d ... at-amazon/ Historic Link for yalls reference. I remember there was a thread about this were people said they were willing to skip out on this deal in hopes it dropped even further
El Conejo Malo

Char Aznable
Regular

Post by Char Aznable » Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:55 pm

Bardo117 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:42 pm Here is a https://www.kanzenshuu.com/2011/07/10/d ... at-amazon/ Historic Link for yalls reference. I remember there was a thread about this were people said they were willing to skip out on this deal in hopes it dropped even further
Stop, it's too painful, I can't bear it! If only I knew, I would've grabbed a shit-ton. At least I have them, but at what great personal cost? :think:

ErikB
Beyond Newbie

Post by ErikB » Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:02 pm

With regards to price; while I don't want to give Funimation or Toei any ideas, if this is a complete boxset of the series in 4:3 with no glaring fatal flaws, they can basically name their price and I'll pay it. I'm already expecting this to be at least $500, which puts it at significantly more Canadian, and I'm OK with paying even a fair bit more than that.

Incidentally, Dragon Box 7 is the only one I own, and I'll probably be willing to part with it if the 30th Anniversary set suits my needs.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:50 pm

Bardo117 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:42 pm Here is a https://www.kanzenshuu.com/2011/07/10/d ... at-amazon/ Historic Link for yalls reference. I remember there was a thread about this were people said they were willing to skip out on this deal in hopes it dropped even further
How ironic, the price listing for Dragon Box 1 shown in that old link is almost the exact same price i paid at the aforementioned DVD store in around mid 2013.
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:20 pm

Oh god. That hurts. That hurts my soul. :o
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Mon Mar 18, 2019 2:23 pm

If it's 16:9 AR and censored, it probably won't sell as much as they expect to regardless making it in limited quantities.