Funimation's 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:17 pm

sangofe wrote:
eledoremassis02 wrote:
theoriginalbilis wrote:Shortened link for the FUNi page:
https://bit.ly/2Xyjqza

I went ahead with the email sign-up.

Seriously, FUNimation. Seriously, Toei. It's now or never.

4:3 ratio.
Japanese broadcast audio.
Uncensored.
It's gotta happen now. I don't really see Blu-Ray still being a thing when the 40th anniversary hits.

(Of course, the crazy completist in me would want all the various English dubs included, but I know it's a pipe dream to except anything other than what FUNi financed themselves.)
I was thinking it would be cool if the put the ocean dub (SD) on one or two blurays as a bonus since that was the first incarnation of Z in the US.
What if these are the season sets re-packaged... Says no mention of "remastered" anywhere, or the aspect audio.
It won't be the season sets repackaged. There wouldn't be high costs associated with that, especially when 2,500 preorders are required to cover it.
Raki wrote:After all this still no Dragonball Dragonbox?
That ship has sailed, but hopefully if this sells we will get original DB and GT Blu-Rays, I could see the demand being there since the former has only been released on the format in Spain and the latter has only been available in SD on the home release market up until now.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:20 pm

I was really hoping for the first Dragon Ball anime to get the HD treatment... Oh well...

If this Blu-Ray re-release for DBZ is reasonably priced, I'll certainly weigh up my options.

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:32 pm

I'll take localized title cards, opening, closings, etc. They can leave out the NEPs for all I care. Hell, I would even sacrifice the Broadcast audio. Just give me the show in 4:3. Please.
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:38 pm

Wanted to sign up on Funimation website, but of course its not available in Poland :( If its gonna be 4:3 Levet or Dragon Box level of quality with NEP and broadcast audio, i might even sell Dragon Boxes to get those, as it will truly be ultimate release :)
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:39 pm

They should make the release $9,001.... :P

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:44 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:They should make the release $9,001.... :P
Don’t give them any ideas :shock:

sumpter360
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Location: St. Peters, MO - Currently applying for Residency at Hinata Apartments :)

Post by sumpter360 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:49 pm

Clearly FUNimation doesn't want a repeat of the Level Sets where people didn't buy enough, leading to their cancellation. If it is a remaster similar to the Level Sets (I'd be happy enough with that especially if it includes the Broadcast Audio) I would think the price might be similar to that of the overall price of the Level Sets, had they been completed.

Anybody know how many sets that would've been? And each set cost what, like $25 or so? Trying to estimate what FUNi will be charging for this...
I am neither subbie nor dubbie, I am all that is good: I am a FANBOY!

PSN ID (on PS4): sumpter360
YouTube Account: TheDbG33K
Twitter Account: https://twitter.com/dbG33K
Tumblr Blog: http://g33kout.tumblr.com

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:52 pm

This shit is gonna cost around $600, maybe more, if they force you to buy all the extra stuff with it. Ridiculous.
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat Mar 02, 2019 3:55 pm

sumpter360 wrote:Clearly FUNimation doesn't want a repeat of the Level Sets where people didn't buy enough, leading to their cancellation. If it is a remaster similar to the Level Sets (I'd be happy enough with that especially if it includes the Broadcast Audio) I would think the price might be similar to that of the overall price of the Level Sets, had they been completed.

Anybody know how many sets that would've been? And each set cost what, like $25 or so? Trying to estimate what FUNi will be charging for this...
RRP was $35 for the Levels IIRC there planned to be 17 sets making it just under $600. We've got extra trinkets this time though.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:00 pm

So I watched Geekdom's recent video on this and he mentioned Toei tweeting a picture of the 3-star ball and Funimation tweeting a picture of the 4-star ball. He interpreted this as them making an announcement either on the 4th of March or the 3rd of April (which would coincide with the anniversary).

I have another possible interpretation. Maybe they were hinting at 4:3 aspect ratio.

Oh wait I seen other people mention this on the previous page. Guess I wasn't the first to think that might be it.
Last edited by 90sDBZ on Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SupremeSSJ
Beyond Newbie

Post by SupremeSSJ » Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:02 pm

If its a 1 time buy for $300 I'm in, over $450 idk.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:10 pm

Well this is exciting. Kind of wish I would get an email confirmation or something that I signed up. Guess I'll just be checking this thread regularly for a while to make sure I don't miss out.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:16 pm

So does this mean there's no way for people outside of the US and Japan to secure a copy at the moment?

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:23 pm

The complete Dragon Ball Z series on Blu-ray with new bonus content.
Why... are they specifying new bonus content not remaster?
The short answer? We aren’t looking to crowdfund this set. We feel that Kickstarter and similar crowdfunding platforms are typically asking fans to fund the creation of new content, not something like a collector’s edition which may be cool but isn’t quite the same as new content
FUNi also did a Kickstarter for Escaflowne's 20th Anivv and that was for a new dub and HD release. So surely new remaster will class as "new content"?

Something fishy is going on....

90sDBZ wrote:So does this mean there's no way for people outside of the US and Japan to secure a copy at the moment?
Nobody is secured anything. All FUNi want is 2500 people registered as interested which would make them realise this release is worth releasing then they'll presumably price it up and make it available to pre on the usual places.

Essentially anyone outside U.S has to rely on Americans registering enough interest.

HakkaiBills93
Banned

Post by HakkaiBills93 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:24 pm

seeing how much dissapointed comments on twitter about the announcement i am not confident at all about that , about that , did they said the price? (preordering it's nice but you have to know the price for that)

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:33 pm

I wish the price was included in this release cause if its a lot i can see intest dropping. If this comes with a book and figure i wonder if it's gonna come in a coz similar to the akira anniversary manga set. That sucker is huge!

DBZfan29
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DBZfan29 » Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:36 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote:I wish the price was included in this release cause if its a lot i can see intest dropping. If this comes with a book and figure i wonder if it's gonna come in a coz similar to the akira anniversary manga set. That sucker is huge!
This was just an announcement. They said they will give out more details later on that will obviously include price and probably a look at the remaster. I’d expect they also give us a few weeks to order so we can consider it.
An interviewer asks, "The soundtrack in Sonic 3 has become legendary. Is it true that you worked with Michael Jackson on it?" Takashi Iizuka kills all of our hopes and dreams by replying, "You know, those are just rumors, and SEGA does not want to say anything about them. So they will forever be just rumors..." WHY!?

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:09 pm

90sDBZ wrote:So does this mean there's no way for people outside of the US and Japan to secure a copy at the moment?
For now, but I'd say that will change. Manga UK may even acquire this release if there's enough interest, so I'd definitely suggest recommending it by any means necessary. Enough people demanded Super and they got that out in a timely manner, so who knows. Granted their release will probably be lacking in the packaging department but it could end up being a budget alternative if Funimation's price tag turns out to be too high....
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:21 pm

I don’t want a stupid figure or art book. I just want a competent HD release of the series.

For now I’ll register with a VPN and proxy shipping service and see how this pans out.

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:32 pm

We jsut have to wait for Rightstuf or other worldwide shipping release to pick it up, and make sure we own BD player that read Region A :) It will probalby get regular or premium release with all these extras.
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015