Funimation's 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:10 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:56 pm If this didnt get the outcome they wanted to you think this will just dissapear like the dragob ball dtagon box and movie survey or the 4:3 vs 16x9 survey?
Oh god i hope not, it would be a damn shame after all that hype and everything to just die with nothing to show for it
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

ect5150
Advanced Regular

Post by ect5150 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:41 am

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:10 pm
eledoremassis02 wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:56 pm If this didnt get the outcome they wanted to you think this will just dissapear like the dragob ball dtagon box and movie survey or the 4:3 vs 16x9 survey?
Oh god i hope not, it would be a damn shame after all that hype and everything to just die with nothing to show for it
I guess it wouldn't be the first time though. For years, fans waited for the first Season to be brought to home video uncut. Then those discs were canceled before they finished in favor of releasing the Orange Bricks. The Level Sets were canceled before they got going.

The only hope I have (or thought I had), is I thought this was coming from initially from Toei:

“In February, along with Funimation, we’re going to have a 30th anniversary collectible home video release announcement,” says [senior manager of licensing and marketing at Toei Animation, Lisa] Yamatoya"

As in Funi is helping, but not directing. That's the way I read it although I have nothing to back the claim. I assumed this was going to be a release for both US and Japan, and I kinda thought the Japanese audience would want to see it 4:3 mostly. Afterall, the typical fans in the US already have BluRay sets. If they want it that way, they have a product for them.
ect5150
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.
DB DBox color corrections & DBox color corrections.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:46 am

ect5150 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:41 am
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:10 pm
I guess it wouldn't be the first time though. For years, fans waited for the first Season to be brought to home video uncut. Then those discs were canceled before they finished in favor of releasing the Orange Bricks. The Level Sets were canceled before they got going.

The only hope I have (or thought I had), is I thought this was coming from initially from Toei:

“In February, along with Funimation, we’re going to have a 30th anniversary collectible home video release announcement,” says [senior manager of licensing and marketing at Toei Animation, Lisa] Yamatoya"

As in Funi is helping, but not directing. That's the way I read it although I have nothing to back the claim. I assumed this was going to be a release for both US and Japan, and I kinda thought the Japanese audience would want to see it 4:3 mostly. Afterall, the typical fans in the US already have BluRay sets. If they want it that way, they have a product for them.
I mean if worse comes to worse with this thing i'll still have my Dragon Boxes, given they are at this point the best available release of the series and the most complete one presentation wise at that even with their flaws. I guess we will see what other developments come before being able to fully know what exactly is going down.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:24 am

My guess: It's a Toei+Funi collaboration.

Funi is handling the remastering of Z (291 episodes), Toei is handling the remaster of DB+GT (217 episodes), and the two are coordinating the overall look/strategy between them. Funi doesn't have film of DB or GT, and this split makes things pretty even, so it would make sense. Funi sends their cleaned up files to Toei, Toei sends their cleaned-up files to Funi, and both companies have the entire original run remastered for release in HD.
Last edited by Robo4900 on Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:27 am

Robo4900 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:24 am My guess: It's a Toei+Funi collaboration.

Funi is handling the remastering of Z (291 episodes), Toei is handling the remaster of DB+GT (217 episodes), and the two are coordinating the overall look/strategy between them. Funi doesn't have film of DB or GT, and this split makes things pretty even, so it would make sense. Funi sends their cleaned up files to Toei, Toei sends their cleaned-up files to Funi, and both companies have the entire original run remastered for release in HD.
I really hope you're right. I can live without Z as I prefer Kai but I would love to get the original DB in true HD quality.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Scavenger

Post by Scavenger » Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:39 am

https://www.funimation.com/dbz30th/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_pKjQitI8o

$350

Celebrate the legacy!

Bring home a collector’s edition of the most iconic series ever! Packed full of everything you could wish for…and more.
  • Entire Dragon Ball Z series in the original 4:3 aspect ratio, remastered on Blu-ray for the first time ever
  • An exclusive 11-inch, 30th anniversary version, Grandista Goku collectible figure from Banpresto—not available anywhere else
  • Full-sized hardback artbook—available only in this set
  • Housed in a stunning collectible box featuring Shenron in a striking foil design.
  • Funimation reservations include an individually stamped and numbered Certificate of Authenticity

Looks like the season set footage in 4:3. Ugh.

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:49 am

Scavenger wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:39 amLooks like the season set footage in 4:3. Ugh.
Where are you getting that idea from, out of curiosity?

EDIT: My bad, didn't bother to watch the video. Goddammit. :(
Last edited by PremiumSalt on Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:49 am

I was expecting the remaster to be on par with the recent theatrical release of the Bardock special, but it seems some of the footage is not even stabilized. I wonder who actually did the remaster.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:50 am

The discs have seasons listed on them so chances are they will replace the current blu-rays with these. I guess they could also sell them in 4 box sets and just keep the 16:9 sets on the market as well.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:58 am

I just saw the trailer and watched the brief clips of the show mixed in, so i wonder exactly what type of master is being used here for the release. That doesn't look like FUNi's own multi gen masters either the ones used for the Level sets or the Season BD's, so i wonder if this is indeed coming from Toei. Could be???

Also it's $350, that's certainly less pricey than i initially thought the set was going to be. I might just consider getting it now knowing that.
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:58 am

Is it strange that the low(-ish) price has me worried?

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:59 am

Forte224 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:58 am Is it strange that the low(-ish) price has me worried?
The level sets were overpriced so fans didn't buy them. Maybe they don't want to make the same mistake again.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:01 pm

sintzu wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:59 am
Forte224 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:58 am Is it strange that the low(-ish) price has me worried?
The level sets were overpriced so fans didn't buy them. Maybe they don't want to make the same mistake again.
I just mean as regards to the actual quality of the release. With a figure, a book, the collector's box and the flare of it being a collector's edition, can the remaster really be that good when the price is where it is? Maybe I'm reading into things too much.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:02 pm

Yes, those were $20+ a pop for 17 episodes between Level 1.1 and 1.2, but still the price for this isn't as ridiculous as I'd thought it was going to be. I was thinking it would be somewhere in the $500-ish range.
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:04 pm

Forte224 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:01 pm
I just mean as regards to the actual quality of the release. With a figure, a book, the collector's box and the flare of it being a collector's edition, can the remaster really be that good when the price is where it is? Maybe I'm reading into things too much.
Still, that doesn't look like their Season BD masters just uncropped to 4:3 and simply slapped into the set. Makes me wonder if this is an HD master coming from Toei.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:05 pm

... Fuck.

That's about all I can say.

If you could tolerate the Season BDs, stick with those. If you can't, don't buy this. It's a waste of everyone's money.

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:07 pm

I'm honestly so disappointed that this seems to be the Season Set master in 4:3. I think my hopes that this series will ever have a proper remaster in anything higher than standard definition have basically just been brought to basically 0.
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:08 pm

Luso Saiyan wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:49 am I was expecting the remaster to be on par with the recent theatrical release of the Bardock special, but it seems some of the footage is not even stabilized. I wonder who actually did the remaster.
Same guys who did the Season BDs. It's the exact same footage, just in 4:3. This is probably about the cheapest release they could have put together in terms of the actual remastering; they had all this footage lying around, even used it in some of the special features on the Season BDs. There's nothing new about this.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:08 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:05 pm ... Fuck.

If you could tolerate the Season BDs, stick with those. If you can't, don't buy this. It's a waste of everyone's money.
So..... is this just the Season masters reconverted to 4:3 or what???? Note on that announcement it says "remastered on Blu-ray for the first time ever." unless i am missing something here.
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:09 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:08 pm
Robo4900 wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:05 pm ... Fuck.

So...... is this just the Season masters reconverted to 4:3 or what???? Note on that announcement it says "remastered on Blu-ray for the first time ever." unless i am missing something here.
It's the same footage. If it is a new remaster, then it's one of the most darkly hilarious wastes of money ever associated with Dragon Ball, because it's the exact same job repeated. Go find the Season BD feature with the 4:3 footage in it that's just the BD footage but uncropped. This is literally just that.