Funimation's 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:13 pm

Char Aznable wrote:
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:
Char Aznable wrote: Same, I have and will continue to refuse to support widescreen faux-mastered DBZ in any way shape or form. If they had completed the Level sets, I would've gladly purchased those over the more limited and expensive DBoxes, but alas it wasn't meant to be. Hopefully I can collect all seven this year before these are formally introduced because I really think they're going to go full-steam ahead with the censoring, Toei doesn't care what anybody thinks.

Yeah, i too would have went with the Levels had they not unfortunately gone belly up because of FUNi's big mistake of putting them out too soon in the midst of other releases and the disappointing sales that resulted. Maybe if they had waited another year or two and released them in 2013 or later well after Kai had finished releasing then perhaps they would have been better received and the series could have been released in it's entirety in that format. Since they sadly fell through the Dragon Boxes have been my only option for getting the show free of the problems that plague both the Season releases. It's been a long and arduous process to be sure, but to me it's been worth it.

In terms of the movies however, i don't mind them as 16:9 though i still intend on getting the rest of the old 4:3 singles of them to have all 13 in both fullscreen and widescreen aspect ratios.
I'll buy the movies in 16:9 all day, that's how they were shown in Japan so I have no problem with that, I actually prefer it to 4:3. It's the series that I will not buy in 16:9, that was completely unnecessary to do especially with the other two series widely available in 4:3 and, hell, Kai in 4:3. I would've purchased Kai in 16:9 no problem! It just baffles me that Z is the one they choose to insist on 16:9 with, it's nonsensical.
It makes no sense why FUNi chose Z to be the odd duck out of the three series to do what they did, they could have just as easily slapped their digibeta masters as is onto the season sets back in 2007 and they would have sold just as well. To me personally i find that them chopping off the top and bottom of the image was a weird, out of left field decision no matter how much they tried to justify their very flawed reasoning for doing so.

Simply put, it should have never been done because the series was never mean to be seen that way.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Valerius Dover » Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:57 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote:What episode of z has the first middle finger, cause i.wondering how long it would to take to find out if the show is censored
A flashback showing Bulma flipping off Pilaf is shown in Episode 60.
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

Gligarman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gligarman » Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:15 pm

I already have my doubts that this release would in anyway be superior to the Dragon Boxes aside from its resolution, but if one frame of that series is cut or censored that's an instakill for any chances of me purchasing it.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:27 pm

Gligarman wrote:I already have my doubts that this release would in anyway be superior to the Dragon Boxes aside from its resolution, but if one frame of that series is cut or censored that's an instakill for any chances of me purchasing it.
They'd really be shooting themselves in the foot if they extend the censoring to the series too, and i mean like they did with Kai because Z (and DB and GT) were all aired in an evening prime time slot on Wednesdays for all of those 11 years the series were running so they weren't under stricter broadcast guidelines like when Kai aired on Sunday mornings with One Piece where the violence editing and other things were mandated.

Crossing my fingers that won't happen because if it did a lot of fans on both sides would raise holy hell, probably even more than those bits of editing to the movies.

ect5150
Advanced Regular

Post by ect5150 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:32 pm

Gligarman wrote:I already have my doubts that this release would in anyway be superior to the Dragon Boxes aside from its resolution, but if one frame of that series is cut or censored that's an instakill for any chances of me purchasing it.
Anyone else remember the DragonBox full release having a bonus disc that made fun the initial US censoring?
ect5150
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.
DB DBox color corrections & DBox color corrections.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:09 pm

ect5150 wrote:
Anyone else remember the DragonBox full release having a bonus disc that made fun the initial US censoring?
I've seen that somewhere before, boy that was certainly a jab at FUNi's early dubbing and editing practices of the time if i ever saw one. :lol:

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:55 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:It makes no sense why FUNi chose Z to be the odd duck out of the three series to do what they did, they could have just as easily slapped their digibeta masters as is onto the season sets back in 2007 and they would have sold just as well.
It does actually, if you'll follow my theory for a moment. Z is Funimation's prime product and their guaranteed cashmaker. In producing the Orange Bricks, Funi were attempting to capitalize and market the show to as wide an audience as possible, so to do that they cropped the series to 16:9 to make it more palpable and then did a few tricks to make it seem Remastered to cast the net wider and get in folks on the belief that it was better than what they original saw. DB and GT, on the other hand, weren't nearly as popular, so it was less worth it to Funimation to spend a lot of money trying to expand their already limited audiences, hence why they were left alone.

To use an analogy, Funimation decided to polish their gold cup to make it more appealing and left the crockery alone.
ect5150 wrote:
Yup! I have that box, and it jumps between the early 1996 dub and the later 2002-era dub.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:05 pm

KBABZ wrote:
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:It makes no sense why FUNi chose Z to be the odd duck out of the three series to do what they did, they could have just as easily slapped their digibeta masters as is onto the season sets back in 2007 and they would have sold just as well.
It does actually, if you'll follow my theory for a moment. Z is Funimation's prime product and their guaranteed cashmaker. In producing the Orange Bricks, Funi were attempting to capitalize and market the show to as wide an audience as possible, so to do that they cropped the series to 16:9 to make it more palpable and then did a few tricks to make it seem Remastered to cast the net wider and get in folks on the belief that it was better than what they original saw. DB and GT, on the other hand, weren't nearly as popular, so it was less worth it to Funimation to spend a lot of money trying to expand their already limited audiences, hence why they were left alone.

To use an analogy, Funimation decided to polish their gold cup to make it more appealing and left the crockery alone.
ect5150 wrote:
Yup! I have that box, and it jumps between the early 1996 dub and the later 2002-era dub.
Yeah, and FUNi's deceptive marketing and advertising of the time when the OB's were coming out was but one component of that. They really tried to explain their (highly flawed) rationale for treating the footage the way they did although quite a bit of it was either careless misinformation or outright false claims. You can clearly see just how much they were playing up the "remastering" and faux widescreen as this big revolutionary thing for the series. Ignoring the fact that what they were actually doing was straight up butchering the show in such a way that was never intended.

These trailers from back in 2007 really speak for what they were playing up the Orange Bricks as.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=miXN6645TfM

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JDelwuyToVw&t=28s

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:30 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:Yeah, and FUNi's deceptive marketing and advertising of the time when the OB's were coming out was but one component of that. They really tried to explain their (highly flawed) rationale for treating the footage the way they did although quite a bit of it was either careless misinformation or outright false claims. You can clearly see just how much they were playing up the "remastering" and faux widescreen as this big revolutionary thing for the series. Ignoring the fact that what they were actually doing was straight up butchering the show in such a way that was never intended.
I don't disagree with that, but do you understand the point I was trying to make?

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:05 pm

KBABZ wrote:
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:Yeah, and FUNi's deceptive marketing and advertising of the time when the OB's were coming out was but one component of that. They really tried to explain their (highly flawed) rationale for treating the footage the way they did although quite a bit of it was either careless misinformation or outright false claims. You can clearly see just how much they were playing up the "remastering" and faux widescreen as this big revolutionary thing for the series. Ignoring the fact that what they were actually doing was straight up butchering the show in such a way that was never intended.
I don't disagree with that, but do you understand the point I was trying to make?
Yeah i get what you were saying as to their specific reasoning behind the decisions made with the Orange Bricks, since DBZ is their huge cash cow goldmine they decided to try to make it appear better than it was by removing 20% of the picture for a 16:9 presentation and bleaching the picture all to hell. The cheap cost of the sets outweighed the major and minor aspect ratio and video quality issues and proved to be a hot seller.

Son Gara
Beyond Newbie

Post by Son Gara » Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:31 am

PacificOceanDub wrote:It’d be killer if they put out all 291 episodes in one package, with some really badass box art. I’m just tired of constantly collecting individual volumes of DBZ, especially when said volumes get discontinued halfway through
looks over at his unfinished collection of Ultimate Uncut Edition dvds
A pain I know all too well.
"I want the guys at Funimation to carry my casket, so they can let me down one last time" - Wezenheim

Son Gara
Beyond Newbie

Post by Son Gara » Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:39 am

Honestly, if they are like the ones Toei just put out with the edited scenes then they can keep them. I'd rather them just release the Dragon Boxes again and maybe this time include the broadcast audio this time.
"I want the guys at Funimation to carry my casket, so they can let me down one last time" - Wezenheim

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Thu Feb 21, 2019 4:56 am

I really hope we don't get this over 7-9 sets. We should be way past this by now.
At the absolute most, 3 boxes with around 100 episodes each.
To be honest, I hope we just get one, but I doubt they will do that, but you never know.

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:44 am

I’m trying not to get my hopes up.

Ideally I’d like a 4K scan and new frame alignment (mostly for DB) with some decent colour correction and broadcast audio.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:32 am

Captain Awesome wrote:Ideally I’d like a 4K scan and new frame alignment (mostly for DB) with some decent colour correction and broadcast audio.
With the exception of the 23mm Namek episodes and the movies, I'm not sure how much benefit the show would have if scanned in 4K.

jaisonas
Beyond Newbie

Post by jaisonas » Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:46 am

KBABZ wrote:
Captain Awesome wrote:Ideally I’d like a 4K scan and new frame alignment (mostly for DB) with some decent colour correction and broadcast audio.
With the exception of the 23mm Namek episodes and the movies, I'm not sure how much benefit the show would have if scanned in 4K.
More room to work with DNR if they choose to apply any
I enjoy tinkering with video and audio.

MarioSonicU

Post by MarioSonicU » Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:04 pm

You want to know what i want from an ideal 30th anniversary release? These 3 ideas.

-The unaltered original FUNimation dub dialogue for 68-291, and both specials. (Or better yet unalter it for the japanese music track.) Anything is better that the revised dub FUNi keeps putting into their release.)
-A rerelease of the Pioneer dubs for Movies 1-3
-A 4:3 release with no DNR, grain kept intact, and quality that is similar to the Level Sets.
-A release where the insert songs are left intact.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:22 pm

MarioSonicU wrote:You want to know what i want from an ideal 30th anniversary release? These 3 ideas.

-The unaltered original FUNimation dub dialogue for 68-291, and both specials. (Or better yet unalter it for the japanese music track.) Anything is better that the revised dub FUNi keeps putting into their release.)
-A rerelease of the Pioneer dubs for Movies 1-3
-A 4:3 release with no DNR, grain kept intact, and quality that is similar to the Level Sets.
-A release where the insert songs are left intact.
1.) Yeah the revised Orange Brick and onward re dub sucks, sure they attempted to do it for consistency with their 2005 Ultimate Uncut season 1 and 2 re dubs as far as the cast goes but it's a cheap done rush job. Though granted i mostly watch Z subbed on my Dragon Boxes and go to Kai if i want to watch the series in English being that Kai is a much better and more faithful and accurate dub work than the old DBZ dub.

2.) I second that, those were some awesome and damn near perfectly accurate dubs for the time.

3.) Absolutely, original fullscreen aspect ratio and no DNR smear fests FTW!!!!

4.) I'd like that, though it may be tougher for FUNi to pull that one off.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:13 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:4.) I'd like that, though it may be tougher for FUNi to pull that one off.
I'd love that too, but that starts traipsing into historical territory. We're fine with restoring the audio to the original dub, but we're ALSO fine adding stuff that was never in the old dub to begin with? There are many places where Funimation not only removed the song but replaced it with something else (for example, the narration after Jingle Village replacing the Son Goku song), and putting the two together may not be the best idea for an official release.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:44 pm

KBABZ wrote:
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:4.) I'd like that, though it may be tougher for FUNi to pull that one off.
I'd love that too, but that starts traipsing into historical territory. We're fine with restoring the audio to the original dub, but we're ALSO fine adding stuff that was never in the old dub to begin with? There are many places where Funimation not only removed the song but replaced it with something else (for example, the narration after Jingle Village replacing the Son Goku song), and putting the two together may not be the best idea for an official release.
Didn't that happen because of the music and effect tracks that Toei had sent to FUNi when they were beginning production on the dub back in 2001 or whenever? I heard that it was likely some kind of rights thing in regard to the insert songs or something along those lines.