Funimation's 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by KBABZ » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:01 am

Woodlandbuckle wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:45 am Everyone seems to be confused on my "extending frame" idea I proposed. People think I'm talking about funimation's blu-rays/orange bricks or Kai TFC when I wasn't. I was talking about the original run of kai on japanese TVs. This is what I'm referring to.
My idea for the new blu-rays would be the image at the top.
The thing there is that it's still a widescreen crop, (look at Goku's hair the symbol on Krillin's gi) and it only works because it takes advantage of the sides of the images that were originally part of the overscan (which isn't at all an issue today). It still isn't the show as intended by the original production team.
Woodlandbuckle wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:54 am Also, I'm not sure if you guys have discussed it yet, but do you all think this home release will be a normal type of Blu-Ray (1080p) or Ultra HD Blu-Ray (4K)?
I HIGHLY doubt it'll be 4K, for two reasons. 1) That would jack up the price even MORE than it already would be, which would make it the Bugatti Veyron of Dragon Ball home media and practically unsellable to most collectors. And 2) There really isn't much to be gained by going 4K for 95% of the three total shows (DB, Z & GT) because they were printed on 16mm film stock. About the best that's looked is the Level sets, and it can't really get much higher than that because, as the name suggests, the physical film cells are just too small. Past that you get severe diminishing returns, and the only advantage would be more space on the disc for more episodes if you kept them at HD.

The remaining 5% is the Ginyu Force section on Namek, which for whatever reason was printed on 35mm film stock. This is the stock that was used for all the movies, which is why those look so jaw-dropping, but it was also used for the Bardock Special (not sure about the Trunks or Goku Jr. Specials). There are subversions, though: when Frieza recognized Goku's face on Namek and we flash to the end of the Bardock Special, that was printed on 16mm film and that specific footage is what was used for the opening of Kai Ep1, which is why it doesn't look any better.
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:43 amRemember other than Kai and the movies Dragon Ball Z hasn't been released on Blu-Ray in Japan. TOEI will want to milk that before they ever consider going to 4K.
Another very good point. This is I think why this set is a collaboration between Funimation and Toei: if the set has both English and Japanese tracks and menus, then they could be sold in Japan as well and both share the cost of producing the sets (or a more consumer-grade version of it like with the Dragon Boxes).

Char Aznable
Regular

Post by Char Aznable » Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:01 am

4:3 and no censored footage sounds like a buy to me, I just hope it's not over $500. I hope we also get the new movie remaster but uncensored and better audio, because the current remaster audio just sounds bad.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:14 am

Char Aznable wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:01 am 4:3 and no censored footage sounds like a buy to me, I just hope it's not over $500. I hope we also get the new movie remaster but uncensored and better audio, because the current remaster audio just sounds bad.
I hope so too, if the price tag of this set is revealed to not be at break the bank levels then i will seriously consider buying it.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

rs_chaosmaster
Regular

Post by rs_chaosmaster » Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:27 am

I am thinking this will be between $399-$500 if it is above $750 I will be hesitant to buy.

Char Aznable
Regular

Post by Char Aznable » Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:29 am

rs_chaosmaster wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:27 am I am thinking this will be between $399-$500 if it is above $750 I will be hesitant to buy.
If it's above $750 they're absolutely crazy, I'm not paying that much just because FUNi refuses to get it right the first time.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:32 am

Char Aznable wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:29 am
rs_chaosmaster wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:27 am I am thinking this will be between $399-$500 if it is above $750 I will be hesitant to buy.
If it's above $750 they're absolutely crazy, I'm not paying that much just because FUNi refuses to get it right the first time.
I'm ok with at least $400 minimum for the set, anything that comes over $500 max would really be just too much for me to spend on.

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:14 pm

Let's not jump to conclusion based upon hearsay from forum members since my uncle who works at Nintendo confirmed Goku for Smash last year and he hasn't shown up yet >_>

gokaiblue
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by gokaiblue » Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:40 pm

Jord wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:14 pm Let's not jump to conclusion based upon hearsay from forum members since my uncle who works at Nintendo confirmed Goku for Smash last year and he hasn't shown up yet >_>
Very true, but as his claims don't seem as outlandish as that (and people on this forum have been known to contact Funi reps before), I think it might be okay to take his word for it.
Looking for these rare items/information:

Any information or recordings pertaining to Dragon Ball Z's syndicated run on WAWB
Any information regarding the stations that carried the origin Dragon Ball in the USA
Dragon Box (any deals would be nice)
Shonen Jumps with Dragon Ball in them

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:09 pm

Jord wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:14 pm Let's not jump to conclusion based upon hearsay from forum members since my uncle who works at Nintendo confirmed Goku for Smash last year and he hasn't shown up yet >_>
He's a credible user who has helped the community a lot so I'd trust him to be saying the truth. But yeah, it's his word without hard evidence (for now) so it's normal for people to be skeptical about it.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:21 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:09 pm
He's a credible user who has helped the community a lot so I'd trust him to be saying the truth. But yeah, it's his word without hard evidence (for now) so it's normal for people to be skeptical about it.
I mean i get why some wouldn't be so quick to immediately take someone's word on something, but by the same token it's apparent that he has some capacity of connections to people at FUNimation who would likely be privy to such details as that. Especially in the case of details regarding this release that so many of us here have been speculating about since it was first announced about a month ago and this thread has been going.
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:22 pm

A lot of people have a lot of bad things to say about Maakuo; he's quite the controversial figure for a variety of reasons. So, some scepticism is understandable.

Still, he's saying the same kind of stuff we're hearing from elsewhere, so even his biggest detractors should take it as a strong rumour at this point.

The main thing I'm concerned about is whether they'll do this release right; a big box that has it all, and is the big 30th anniversary set, then later on re-release it at a lower pricepoint, and phase out the awful Season BDs.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:26 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:22 pm
A lot of people have a lot of bad things to say about Maakuo; he's quite the controversial figure for a variety of reasons. So, some scepticism is understandable.

Still, he's saying the same kind of stuff we're hearing from elsewhere, so even his biggest detractors should take it as a strong rumour at this point.

The main thing I'm concerned about is whether they'll do this release right; a big box that has it all, and is the big 30th anniversary set, then later on re-release it at a lower pricepoint, and phase out the awful Season BDs.
Yeah, because i'm not just immediately dismissing what he says as baseless unfounded BS. Given the amount of hints and such that we have been seeing lately it is heavily pointing toward the original 4:3 aspect ratio being used for the set, but at the same time i can see why some wouldn't be as easily convinced.

I do hope that they eventually put out a standard re release with the same masters later, because at this point i'm still on the fence because i don't really know if the suggested price for the collector's set is truly worth it.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:39 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:22 pm The main thing I'm concerned about is whether they'll do this release right; a big box that has it all, and is the big 30th anniversary set, then later on re-release it at a lower pricepoint, and phase out the awful Season BDs.
That's the best-case scenario for me too, to release it similarly to the Dragon Boxes in Japan. Well, actually, no, for me the best-case is that they skip the price hike special edition with the frivolous statue and skip straight to the consumer-grade release that then replaces the Blu-Bricks as Funi's DBZ in HD physical media product (before moving to DB and GT, because only a fool would release half the story in HD).

You'd also hope it would replace the streaming versions as well, but I understand it's a bit of a monster to replace ALL of that show with the new one.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:50 pm

KBABZ wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:39 pm
Robo4900 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:22 pm The main thing I'm concerned about is whether they'll do this release right; a big box that has it all, and is the big 30th anniversary set, then later on re-release it at a lower pricepoint, and phase out the awful Season BDs.
That's the best-case scenario for me too, to release it similarly to the Dragon Boxes in Japan. Well, actually, no, for me the best-case is that they skip the price hike special edition with the frivolous statue and skip straight to the consumer-grade release that then replaces the Blu-Bricks as Funi's DBZ in HD physical media product (before moving to DB and GT, because only a fool would release half the story in HD).

You'd also hope it would replace the streaming versions as well, but I understand it's a bit of a monster to replace ALL of that show with the new one.

Though at this point doesn't FUNimation only have multi generation standard def digibeta/video masters for Dragon Ball and GT respectively? I would figure that if they are going to release them of BD at some point down the road as they are doing with Z currently they would need to also have good quality film print masters sent to them from Toei for that to happen.
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:01 pm, edited 4 times in total.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:54 pm

"That has it all"

You mean, the OVAs, Specials, TV shorts and all that, as well as the JPN OBA? TOEI only seems to care about the main series and movies while everything is either on Laser Disc, VHS, DVD or capped by fans. I'd love for the DB 2008 Special to be officially subbed and dubbed but not gonna get my hopes up.

Akamay
Beyond Newbie

Post by Akamay » Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:59 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:54 pm "That has it all"

You mean, the OVAs, Specials, TV shorts and all that, as well as the JPN OBA? TOEI only seems to care about the main series and movies while everything is either on Laser Disc, VHS, DVD or capped by fans. I'd love for the DB 2008 Special to be officially subbed and dubbed but not gonna get my hopes up.
Would be nice to get a proper release of the Episode of Bardock as well, even if it is non-canon.
Also, would be nice for them to remaster the audio a bit, I remember taking a look at the amazon prime releases of some of the movies and the Japanese audio was just incredibly low.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:22 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:50 pm Though at this point doesn't FUNimation only have multi generation standard def digibeta/video masters for Dragon Ball and GT respectively? I would figure that if they are going to release them of BD at some point down the road as they are doing with Z currently they would need to also have good quality film print masters sent to them from Toei for that to happen.
Well again I'm going with the assumption that A) Funi's release is using the theorized Toei HD rescan of Z, and B) Toei will do the same with DB and GT at some point and the collaboration will continue.

(it is a bit frustrating that Toei won't just come out and say they're doing DB and GT)

funrush
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by funrush » Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:25 pm

I hope this gets a wide release as well, the mention of a statue (which will almost certainly wind up in a box in my basement) has me worried that they're gonna way overprice this, as is done with a lot of collector's editions.

I just find it to difficult to see myself paying more than $400 for a 20+ year old show I've seen a bunch already. If it's even slightly comparable to the current Bluray pricing, awesome. Even if it's just the current Blurays but in 4:3, which I wouldn't be surprised if that's what this is.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:25 pm

KBABZ wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:22 pm
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:50 pm Though at this point doesn't FUNimation only have multi generation standard def digibeta/video masters for Dragon Ball and GT respectively? I would figure that if they are going to release them of BD at some point down the road as they are doing with Z currently they would need to also have good quality film print masters sent to them from Toei for that to happen.
Well again I'm going with the assumption that A) Funi's release is using the theorized Toei HD rescan of Z, and B) Toei will do the same with DB and GT at some point and the collaboration will continue.

(it is a bit frustrating that Toei won't just come out and say they're doing DB and GT)
True, perhaps they will eventually do new HD scans of their masters for both series and send them to FUNi sometime down the road.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:32 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:25 pm True, perhaps they will eventually do new HD scans of their masters for both series and send them to FUNi sometime down the road.
Yeah. I just get so sick and tired of this "Test the waters with Z" bullshit that we keep getting, like with the Dragon Boxes and Kai and Full Colour and stuff. It just leaves the original show by the wayside because apparently that stuff is old and lame and irrelevant next to POWAH LEVELS and FUREEZA and VEGETA!! C'mon Toei, show respect for the ENTIRE show for once!