Funimation's 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by eledoremassis02 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:24 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:16 am
eledoremassis02 wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:04 am
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:48 am

Then of course they mislead fans with trailers that have a lot of deceptive speak and misinformation.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=miXN6645TfM&t=51s
Welcome to marketing, unfortunately, at least in this video they mention multiple times that the 16x9 aspect ration was in fact new. And while "Original Japanese film" is quite misleading it's not wrong either. It's original film struck in Japan. Now, this https://youtu.be/JDelwuyToVw?t=20 is a straight-up lie because they relay the information that it comes from the Japanese masters. They tote this lie up until season 5 where it just becomes "uncut and remastered" which makes me wonder if someone did complain. People just want that instant gratification. I mean, look how many people bought these but knew they were not "how they were originally meant to be seen" but they needed season two or if was the first time to get the whole series uncut, or it was cheap or they wanted them to add to their collection. Many of us, myself included, are guilty of this. And at least we got the Dragon Boxes, they screwed us on that too but at least some of the hardcore fans got them. And outside of the color issues, those are how the show was meant to be seen. In SD, Japanese title cards, proper credits, (misplaced) NEP. So, we actually did get very close to the definitive edition, its just not spruced up for the new age.
Yeah, and i do get that but at the same time it's a shame FUNi went with such a devisive release style that did more harm than good in the long run. The season sets were a good idea on paper but the quality of the video on the discs themselves really kills it. The simple fact is DBZ is a show that was produced in a particular era in 4:3 and should be presented as such, not butchered by having 20% of the vertical image chopped off and a bunch of grain removal filters that destroys the detail of the image.
I think they were just following what the big boys were doing. Everyone was either stretching or "opening" their framing for HDTVs. heck they were even ahead of the animated curve as Kai (albeit more professional *and ironically* TV and only a few releases) did widescreen cropping and Simpsons did (worse) years later as well. I think the biggest negligence is the DNR erasing lines. A competent company would have fixed it early and done a replacement program but here we are over 10 years later and not only are the season sets still out but they still have that issue.

All in total for FUNi releases (not accounting Kai and Buu Kai)

DBZ
4:3 -
Singles (not complete *uncut*/Ultimate Uncut canceled)
Dragon Boxes
Level Sets (not complete *canceled*)
30th Bluray

16:9-
Season DVDs
Season Blurays
Best of DVDs (not complete *by design*)

Looking at how they come out it really gives the idea that FUNimation is gut reacting. We've had 2 complete 16x9 releases and 2 complete 4:3 (3 if we count ocean edited dvds). The main issue is that they were limited runs (video quality aside) but on the other side of the coin, while they were limited they were more competent releases (yes even while marginal the 30th set not being as blown out color-wise and retaining the original aspect ratio is, by default, more competent) *this isn't aimed at anyone* I'm just saying it now so I don't have to later. 30th set was also a one shot complete release, it could have been canceled like the level sets if done in volumes.

Side question: I was away for most of the Dbox run. Was there a fear that those were gonna be canceled ala ultimate uncut? It seems like no one knew they were limited, but did people but these with the idea they might not be finished?

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:59 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:24 pm Side question: I was away for most of the Dbox run. Was there a fear that those were gonna be canceled ala ultimate uncut? It seems like no one knew they were limited, but did people but these with the idea they might not be finished?
I mean, they technically aren't finished because they didn't cover OG DB and GT. Dragon Box Z was already a complete package so Funimation just had to license and localize that one set of products, compared to the Ultimate Uncuts which were made progressively as they went along.

---

Side-bar: kinda over bashing the Black Bricks for no reason right now.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:11 pm

KBABZ wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:59 pm
eledoremassis02 wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:24 pm Side question: I was away for most of the Dbox run. Was there a fear that those were gonna be canceled ala ultimate uncut? It seems like no one knew they were limited, but did people but these with the idea they might not be finished?
I mean, they technically aren't finished because they didn't cover OG DB and GT. Dragon Box Z was already a complete package so Funimation just had to license and localize that one set of products, compared to the Ultimate Uncuts which were made progressively as they went along.

---

Side-bar: kinda over bashing the Black Bricks for no reason right now.
They only licensed the Dragon Box masters for Z back in 2009, i don't think the original series or GT was part of it.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

LettuceJUMP
Beyond Newbie

Post by LettuceJUMP » Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:50 pm

Hey guys,
Been enjoying the resurgence of this topic this week.
I respect everyone’s opinions in this release. Definitely did not satisfy the hardcores again.
But for me...this is my favorite release yet.
I have uninformed friends who own the season orange bricks or season blu-rays and don’t know better.
On my 75” tv the dragon boxes didn’t do it for me. And are hard to find. Loved the level sets but we know what happened there. Kai is decent but even that switches to 16x9 in final chapters and has image issues. This new release has been my new go to. And i have very little confidence that they will make a “new” “better” 4:3 natural looking with grain set. How would they even market it? They tried that with this one.

Maybe the 40th anniversary will see “uncut raw” images. But for now...this is my favorite release. Although it has obvious shortcomings. If that makes me (insert name calling here) then I’ll accept that.

Different

Post by Different » Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:35 pm

This set definitely got more hate than it deserved IMO. It's not perfect but it's good enough, looks better than the Dragon Boxes since it has better colors and on a big TV, the Dragon Boxes are pretty ugly..

Tylerman29
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tylerman29 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:59 pm

Different wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:35 pm This set definitely got more hate than it deserved IMO. It's not perfect but it's good enough, looks better than the Dragon Boxes since it has better colors and on a big TV, the Dragon Boxes are pretty ugly..
Stop repeating this silly statement over and over. They do not look better than the dragon boxes..not in this reality or any other. Colors are marginally better but that doesn't matter when the whole thing is smeared to hell. On a 4K 65 inch the DBoxes still look the best outside of the Levels.
DB, Z, and GT subbed are my "canon".
SSJ4 > Any transformation in Super.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:37 pm

Different wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 2:35 pm This set definitely got more hate than it deserved IMO. It's not perfect but it's good enough, looks better than the Dragon Boxes since it has better colors and on a big TV, the Dragon Boxes are pretty ugly..
It definitely isn't better than the Dragon Boxes, now granted it no doubt may be a little better when compared to the fake widescreen Orange Bricks and Season BD's although that isn't a very high bar overall but not an actual good release like those although the positives of the 30th set (mostly correct aspect ratio.etc) get negated due to the excessive DNR still being present in large amounts.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Sat May 02, 2020 12:30 pm

Apparently Madman will be releasing this for Australia:

https://www.madman.com.au/catalogue/vie ... ion-bluray
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sat May 02, 2020 6:07 pm

PremiumSalt wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 12:30 pm Apparently Madman will be releasing this for Australia:

https://www.madman.com.au/catalogue/vie ... ion-bluray
This isn't surprising considering Manga UK weren't able to sell out the copies they got from Funimation. Wouldn't rule out the possibility either company worked out a deal with Madman to try clear the remaining stock. How else can they call it a 30th anniversary edition if it's a year late?
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sat May 02, 2020 7:00 pm

If they cut out all the collectibles and sell it for like $150NZD then I MIGHT consider it, haha.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Sat May 02, 2020 7:23 pm

I'm surprised they haven't released this in standard sets yet.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sat May 02, 2020 7:52 pm

Matches Malone wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 7:23 pm I'm surprised they haven't released this in standard sets yet.
They may not do that at all, given the poor sales.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

10gigtriforce
Beyond Newbie

Post by 10gigtriforce » Sat May 02, 2020 8:36 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 7:52 pm
Matches Malone wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 7:23 pm I'm surprised they haven't released this in standard sets yet.
They may not do that at all, given the poor sales.
i wouldnt be surprised if they didnt due to that. but it does kinda look like their in person/in store sales may be dong better than online for the nostalgia grabbers. so that may be part of it.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat May 02, 2020 8:53 pm

They know it wouldn't sell too well. Everyone who owns any of the shitty DBZ releases from the last 13 years is either satisfied or not wanting a different release for whatever reasons they have. It's why they only release DBZ in 4:3 in collector's sets despite having masters ready to go. It's no different than Disney putting their films back in the vaults for a while before rereleasing them in new formats eventually & price gouging the shit out of them or Nintendo's artificial scarcity. Only in this instance, no one has perfect masters. The early-2000s DVDs have poor bitrates, the Orange Bricks have terribly forced cropping, awful color correction, & awful DVNR, the Dragon Boxes have terrible color correction, the 2013/14 BRs have cropping, awful color correction, & awful DVNR, & the 2019 BRs have bad framing, awful color correction, & awful DVNR. No one wins here.
Except FUNi, who profit off of either stupidity, or fans who knuckle under.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

mikezilla2
Beyond Newbie

Post by mikezilla2 » Sun May 03, 2020 4:14 am

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sun May 03, 2020 11:21 am

"An iconic set worthy of a legendary series! Packed full of everything you could wish for… and more."

😂🤣😂🤣 :clap:

I have to give them this: they really stick with their position and power through despite anyone with access to the internet vetting able to see a sea of complaints that severely outweigh the positives. Why not just stick to the selling points? "Here's your chance to own the series in its intended 4:3 aspect ratio for the first time -- and possibly the last time -- on Blu-ray!" No need to overhype it as the greatest thing since Akira Toriyama sat down to draw this thing.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sun May 03, 2020 2:25 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 11:21 am No need to overhype it as the greatest thing since Akira Toriyama sat down to draw this thing.
Well clearly they don't think that because to them it'd take Toriyama four whole years until he'd draw anything noteworthy with Dragon Ball.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sun May 03, 2020 4:15 pm

KBABZ wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 2:25 pm
TheGreatness25 wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 11:21 am No need to overhype it as the greatest thing since Akira Toriyama sat down to draw this thing.
Well clearly they don't think that because to them it'd take Toriyama four whole years until he'd draw anything noteworthy with Dragon Ball.
Ah, good point. I kind of admire their perseverance. You could have solid negative reviews across the board from video quality to extras features, to packaging, and they still stay the course, promoting it as "OMFG diz iz soopir ameyzinggg!"

ArmenianPepsi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ArmenianPepsi » Mon May 04, 2020 4:30 am

TheGreatness25 wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 11:21 am "An iconic set worthy of a legendary series! Packed full of everything you could wish for… and more."

I have to give them this: they really stick with their position and power through despite anyone with access to the internet vetting able to see a sea of complaints that severely outweigh the positives. Why not just stick to the selling points? "Here's your chance to own the series in its intended 4:3 aspect ratio for the first time -- and possibly the last time -- on Blu-ray!" No need to overhype it as the greatest thing since Akira Toriyama sat down to draw this thing.
Yeah you're right, but what what product ever 100% truthfully marketed itself? There is always some sort of lie in there. :lol: :lol:
First time Dragon Ball fan as of March 2020. Still learning the ropes. Nothing much else to say,

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Mon May 04, 2020 5:27 am

ArmenianPepsi wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 4:30 am
TheGreatness25 wrote: Sun May 03, 2020 11:21 am "An iconic set worthy of a legendary series! Packed full of everything you could wish for… and more."

Yeah you're right, but what what product ever 100% truthfully marketed itself? There is always some sort of lie in there. :lol: :lol:
Well, yeah, but lies in most marketing campaigns are often small & can be overlooked. FUNi's marketing campaigns have so many lies, including contradictory ones from their earlier campaigns, when it comes to DBZ that it's genuinely frustrating. I've never seen a company continually cynically mismanage home video releases of 1 TV show before. DBZ should've been faithfully remastered back in 2011/12 in its entirety like they were planning & those should be the masters continually put into new reprints, not slightly better rereleases. 6 mainline releases in 20 years & only 1 is of any actual quality. It's sad.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs