Funimation's 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Wed May 01, 2019 2:57 am

Man, that's good and bad at the same time (cause extras are a good thing, generally). This release is such a shameless cashgrab promoted as something amazing which it isn't.

So, the series is just the Season Sets in 4:3 AR and most of the extras were recycled from the Season Sets, the audio tracks are the same ones from the Season Sets and some of the art from the Art Book is from the Season Sets' covers. Whoever pre-ordered this is really stupid because there's nothing original or unique about it.

Don't expect FUNimation to listen to reason when they have customers who pre-order regardless if it's worth it or not.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed May 01, 2019 5:10 am

JohnnyCashKami wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 2:57 amSo, the series is just the Season Sets in 4:3 AR and most of the extras were recycled from the Season Sets, the audio tracks are the same ones from the Season Sets and some of the art from the Art Book is from the Season Sets' covers. Whoever pre-ordered this is really stupid because there's nothing original or unique about it.
I mean to be fair all art books recycle existing artwork, it's rarely created for that book. And IMO the cover art is often the coolest part of many of the releases, Dragon Boxes included. I'd love to have some of that art available in a book collation.

Plague-Memories
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Plague-Memories » Wed May 01, 2019 8:11 am

Unreal to me that people are willing to spend upwards of $300 for Falcouner's godawful soundtrack, but to each their own I suppose.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed May 01, 2019 8:38 am

A new feature has me intrigued, I'm a sucker for extras generally but I draw the line when I have to pay over the odds, this is one of those situations.

Having said that I'd love to watch (and own) the feature exclusive to this set, so if Manga UK import this from Funimation (which I think may still happen as I see people request "DBZ on Blu-Ray" from time to time) and split it into separate volumes I may be tempted to buy whichever one has the feature, but I'm definitely not getting the Funimation version.

Although Manga UK may omit the features, in which case this set will remain a no-buy from me.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Wed May 01, 2019 10:01 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 8:38 am A new feature has me intrigued, I'm a sucker for extras generally but I draw the line when I have to pay over the odds, this is one of those situations.

Having said that I'd love to watch (and own) the feature exclusive to this set, so if Manga UK import this from Funimation (which I think may still happen as I see people request "DBZ on Blu-Ray" from time to time) and split it into separate volumes I may be tempted to buy whichever one has the feature, but I'm definitely not getting the Funimation version.

Although Manga UK may omit the features, in which case this set will remain a no-buy from me.
Manga UK has yet to release DBZ on Blu-ray in UK but I'd hope they wouldn't license this garbage. Just wait for whatever TOEI's cooking.

Char Aznable
Regular

Post by Char Aznable » Wed May 01, 2019 10:48 am

I still want to know where everybody is getting the idea that Toei is definitely remastering the series other than 'They did the movies and the specials', because that could just mean they wanted to remaster the movies and the specials and leave it at that. I would be really surprised if they care enough to remaster all 291 episodes of Z and even if they do, not censor them. If this mythical Toei remaster happens, the chances of Manga UK or Madman licensing it are practically zero.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed May 01, 2019 11:05 am

Char Aznable wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 10:48 am I still want to know where everybody is getting the idea that Toei is definitely remastering the series other than 'They did the movies and the specials', because that could just mean they wanted to remaster the movies and the specials and leave it at that. I would be really surprised if they care enough to remaster all 291 episodes of Z and even if they do, not censor them. If this mythical Toei remaster happens, the chances of Manga UK or Madman licensing it are practically zero.
It's proven history at this point that Funimation imports Toei's content if they've made it and there's demand for it (see: Dragon Box Z, Kai, Super). The fact that Funimation are the ones doing a Z HD remaster to me proves that Toei has NO intention of doing it themselves, otherwise Funimation would be importing that rather than going through the expense of doing it on their side.

Char Aznable
Regular

Post by Char Aznable » Wed May 01, 2019 11:13 am

KBABZ wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 11:05 am
Char Aznable wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 10:48 am I still want to know where everybody is getting the idea that Toei is definitely remastering the series other than 'They did the movies and the specials', because that could just mean they wanted to remaster the movies and the specials and leave it at that. I would be really surprised if they care enough to remaster all 291 episodes of Z and even if they do, not censor them. If this mythical Toei remaster happens, the chances of Manga UK or Madman licensing it are practically zero.
It's proven history at this point that Funimation imports Toei's content if they've made it and there's demand for it (see: Dragon Box Z, Kai, Super). The fact that Funimation are the ones doing a Z HD remaster to me proves that Toei has NO intention of doing it themselves, otherwise Funimation would be importing that rather than going through the expense of doing it on their side.
That's exactly what I'm thinking. A lot of people are just assuming that Toei is working on remastering right now but there's absolutely no evidence to show for it other than more assumptions. Remastering the movies and specials does not immediately equate to also remastering the series.

gokaiblue
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by gokaiblue » Wed May 01, 2019 11:16 am

Char Aznable wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 11:13 am
That's exactly what I'm thinking. A lot of people are just assuming that Toei is working on remastering right now but there's absolutely no evidence to show for it other than more assumptions. Remastering the movies and specials does not immediately equate to also remastering the series.
I think they're just expecting it because, in their minds, now is the time. There was a refresh in 2009 for the 20th anniversary, but that doesn't mean there will necessarily be a remaster of the series for the 30th.
Looking for these rare items/information:

Any information or recordings pertaining to Dragon Ball Z's syndicated run on WAWB
Any information regarding the stations that carried the origin Dragon Ball in the USA
Dragon Box (any deals would be nice)
Shonen Jumps with Dragon Ball in them

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Wed May 01, 2019 11:19 am

Char Aznable wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 11:13 am
Yeah, i figure they likely believe that the individual Dragon Box DVD releases for the three series are still selling well enough that there just isn't a demand for the undertaking of remastering them for BD as nice as it would be.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Wed May 01, 2019 11:35 am

That doesn't prove anything. TOEI remastered the Dragon Ball & Z movies on DVD and Blu-ray and what happened? FUNimation just made their own shitty remasters of it. The DF movies have better colors but they're too dark and a lot of detail was lost due to it.

HakkaiBills93
Banned

Post by HakkaiBills93 » Wed May 01, 2019 12:22 pm

Stop Thinking USA is the center of the World. Like if a US company did something, Toei will automatically use it or if they didn't, they don't do theirs, it's arrogant and false
Funimation did their own movies Bluray but Toei did their own scan , even before using them on amazon, it was dragon movie box upscale like if the US footage didn't exist.
Toei did their own scan for dragon box even if it could exist something elsewhere
Toei don't care about USA more than any other countries, they are just commercial relations.

Toei allways use their own material and if they did tv specials, i am pretty sure that series will follow and even if not, they won't use either the Funimation pathetic release for desperate idiots with poor eyes

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed May 01, 2019 1:44 pm

Even if TOEI remaster the series Funimation are going to just worsen the problem they created in flooding the market with Dragon Ball Z releases if they decide to import it as that will mean there is 3 complete Blu-Ray releases plus Kai. That's still one more than in their DVD days when it was just the orange bricks and the Dragon Boxes, which many people already have. There is only so many times one can repurchase a 291 episode show, which makes this release all the more baffling as Funimation could have just made this release definitive by having the broadcast audio, NEPs, recaps, no DNR, no cropping and called it a day.

So unless Madman import a hypothetical TOEI remaster and create their own set like they did with OG DB's saga sets (which would be good as then Manga UK could follow suit) a TOEI Blu-Ray with no subs will be the only option, and Japanese Blu-Rays cost a pretty penny.

Personally I can live without a new Z remaster. I prefer Kai anyway but it would be nice to have, just think everyone should keep their expectations realistic.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

HakkaiBills93
Banned

Post by HakkaiBills93 » Wed May 01, 2019 1:54 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 1:44 pm Even if TOEI remaster the series Funimation are going to just worsen the problem they created in flooding the market with Dragon Ball Z releases if they decide to import it as that will mean there is 3 complete Blu-Ray releases plus Kai. That's still one more than in their DVD days when it was just the orange bricks and the Dragon Boxes, which many people already have. There is only so many times one can repurchase a 291 episode show, which makes this release all the more baffling as Funimation could have just made this release definitive by having the broadcast audio, NEPs, recaps, no DNR, no cropping and called it a day.

So unless Madman import a hypothetical TOEI remaster and create their own set like they did with OG DB's saga sets (which would be good as then Manga UK could follow suit) a TOEI Blu-Ray with no subs will be the only option, and Japanese Blu-Rays cost a pretty penny.

Personally I can live without a new Z remaster. I prefer Kai anyway but it would be nice to have, just think everyone should keep their expectations realistic.
Funimation will only spread US Market, as except english speakers, only few will choose the US release rather the Toei one that will allways be better in all way than any Funimation release, you can see the season sets worldwide only because people download rips of them to sync their language, it's not like a french or a spanish guy will buyed them to watch the series sub in other language than his native one

for a spanish speakers, he will choose spanish release except if he is a collector or if he want to make his own version but it won't be the major part of the buyers

even with that a little like the bootlegs were really spread everywhere, in france you couldn't find any dragon ball , saint seiya, hokuto no ken dvd , and what was availlable wasn't even uncut then bootlegs solds very well but since french uncut release subbed and dubbed were released, thoses bootlegs are almost dissapeared

so don't worry, if toei release something, japanese custumers won't buy the us one and even if worldwide people import them, they'll replace by local ones when available (except collectors of course)

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Wed May 01, 2019 3:17 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 10:01 am
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 8:38 am A new feature has me intrigued, I'm a sucker for extras generally but I draw the line when I have to pay over the odds, this is one of those situations.

Manga UK has yet to release DBZ on Blu-ray in UK but I'd hope they wouldn't license this garbage. Just wait for whatever TOEI's cooking.
Toei's remaster will likely be plagued with censorship, and it's highly unlikely it would get licensed by English speaking country companies. Unless you don't mind watching it with no subs it's not really a viable option.

As for Manga UK, it's hard to say what they might do. If this set remains a one-off collectors item, there might be more chance of them going for the previous Seasons Blu-rays, as they would be easier to sell to the masses at a lower price. It's tough to say really as they can be unpredictable. They might never release Z on Blu-ray at all.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed May 01, 2019 4:08 pm

HakkaiBills93 wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 12:22 pm Stop Thinking USA is the center of the World. Like if a US company did something, Toei will automatically use it or if they didn't, they don't do theirs, it's arrogant and false
Funimation did their own movies Bluray but Toei did their own scan , even before using them on amazon, it was dragon movie box upscale like if the US footage didn't exist.
Yeah but Toei also released the Dragon Boxes well after Funimation did the DVD singles.

Also, I live in New Zealand, so I have no Eagleland bias here. Funimation is THE dubbing studio for Dragon Ball (I didn't hear of any Ocean cast screenings of Broly when that came out). IMO, if Toei was doing their own HD scan of DBZ, why would Funimation waste their time and money making their own?? They could just import Toei's.

Also find it ironic that you're calling me arrogant.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed May 01, 2019 4:42 pm

90sDBZ wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 3:17 pmAs for Manga UK, it's hard to say what they might do. If this set remains a one-off collectors item, there might be more chance of them going for the previous Seasons Blu-rays, as they would be easier to sell to the masses at a lower price.
Well they said on Twitter a while back they weren't releasing the 2013-14 Blu-Rays because of their negative reception. And if they just released a chopped up budget version of this set it would probably MSRP for around the same price, maybe cheaper if it was in less than 9 volumes, which it most likely will be.

Honestly though, if they do licence this set outsourcing to another company to do some colour correction like they did with Super Broly could make their version better than Funimations (not that that would be hard).
90sDBZ wrote:They might never release Z on Blu-ray at all.
I think they will eventually. Manga are a small company after all and Dragon Ball Z is one of their most trusted brands. Even if we get another Dragon Ball drought in a few years they could easily get away with releasing any of these Blu-Ray editions and making a profit.
KBABZ wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 4:08 pmFunimation is THE dubbing studio for Dragon Ball (I didn't hear of any Ocean cast screenings of Broly when that came out).
Well until Ocean get their Kai dub out we won't see them touch anything Dragon Ball again, even then the movies are even more unlikely, but I take it you were speaking metaphorically.
Last edited by Dragon Ball Ireland on Wed May 01, 2019 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HakkaiBills93
Banned

Post by HakkaiBills93 » Wed May 01, 2019 4:46 pm

KBABZ wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 4:08 pm if Toei was doing their own HD scan of DBZ, why would Funimation waste their time and money making their own?? They could just import Toei's.
Like Toei could have import the Funimation HD scan for movies.
But i am pretty sure it's only because they already have their own HD scan, if they want to use Toei's material, they'll have to make new negotiations and have to paid for the new stuffs. it's easier and low cost just use their own

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed May 01, 2019 4:57 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 4:42 pm Well until Ocean get their Kai dub out we won't see them touch anything Dragon Ball again, even then the movies are even more unlikely, but I take it you were speaking metaphorically.
Yeah pretty much. Funimation is the English wing of Dragon Ball and Toei treats them as such.

PacificOceanDub
Beyond Newbie

Post by PacificOceanDub » Wed May 01, 2019 7:20 pm

I would really love it if this release used the font on the Dub title cards that were on every release through the orange bricks. That same old font from the Toonami airings. I never had the Level sets, so I don’t know if those used it, or if they had the same generic-ass italic font that the Season BDs had. I know that’s such a microscopic part in the grand scheme of things, but I think about stuff like that..
You shouldn’t have to (Cell.) your soul!