Funimation's 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ArmenianPepsi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by ArmenianPepsi » Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:48 am

kyppk wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:43 am
ArmenianPepsi wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:32 am Wait, are the Orange and Blue Bricks still in print? You gotta be pulling my leg.
I'm actually not sure if they're still in print, I would highly doubt it at this point, but that's the reason I said "Out of stock" as opposed to "Out of Print/Production". They could be not producing any more Season Sets and Orange Bricks but retailers and Funi themselves could still be sitting on a sizable stock of them, and that alone could be enough to influence them to not make a newer version until that stock runs out (So they can capitalize on sales of the remaining stock). Additionally, if they are still in production somehow, Funi wouldn't exactly want a better version cutting into sales of the inferior version while still selling/sitting on a bunch of them.
That seems plausible. Maybe Funi just made so many of the things that retailers still have a bunch to sell 10+ years later.
First time Dragon Ball fan as of March 2020. Still learning the ropes. Nothing much else to say,

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:54 am

ArmenianPepsi wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:48 am
kyppk wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:43 am
ArmenianPepsi wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:32 am Wait, are the Orange and Blue Bricks still in print? You gotta be pulling my leg.
I'm actually not sure if they're still in print, I would highly doubt it at this point, but that's the reason I said "Out of stock" as opposed to "Out of Print/Production". They could be not producing any more Season Sets and Orange Bricks but retailers and Funi themselves could still be sitting on a sizable stock of them, and that alone could be enough to influence them to not make a newer version until that stock runs out (So they can capitalize on sales of the remaining stock). Additionally, if they are still in production somehow, Funi wouldn't exactly want a better version cutting into sales of the inferior version while still selling/sitting on a bunch of them.
That seems plausible. Maybe Funi just made so many of the things that retailers still have a bunch to sell 10+ years later.
Yes, the Orange Bricks came out just over twelve years ago so i'm not surprised if they still have that much remaining. In my area though it's been at least half a year since i've personally seen any on store shelves so who knows they could for all we know already be out of print but still have stock being sold.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:13 am

My Walmart seems to always have the Season 1 and 2 duo pack and season four (and GT), they always get restocked but I haven't seen the other seasons in about 6+ years.

With all this Dinsey+ talk, I wonder if at some point DBZ will just stick to digital?

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:20 am

eledoremassis02 wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 10:13 am My Walmart seems to always have the Season 1 and 2 duo pack and season four (and GT), they always get restocked but I haven't seen the other seasons in about 6+ years.

With all this Dinsey+ talk, I wonder if at some point DBZ will just stick to digital?
The Wal-Mart's and most other stores (Best Buy, Target.etc) in my area which have movie sections don't seem to be carrying the Orange Bricks in stock as of now, and the last time in recent history that i saw any of them there at all was roughly about half a year ago or so when the versions with those redrawn slip case covers were released for a limited time to tie in with DBZ's 30th anniversary.

You can still find them readily online at this time, so perhaps they have indeed quietly gone out of print and it's just whatever remaining stock being sold as of now.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:48 pm

Looks like this is getting a steelbook release.
"New anime announced by Funimation! Dragon Ball Z Steelbooks (in 4:3 aspect ratio)"
Source: RightStuff
Image Image Image

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:14 pm

Alright...Which one of you knuckleheads is getting it. step up. lets hear it. :P :lol: I honestly, knew Funimation was gonna do this when I bought the 30th boxset. :roll: but I have it and the dragonboxes and I gave my word that I was done buying Z series unless we get new proper HD remasters of the movies and I meant it. I don't care if these are fixed a little better than the 30th set or if they have next episode previews etc etc. I'm not interested it. even though I do like Funimation and am very thankful for all the stuff we have gotten, I think it's kinda dirty of them to keep doing stuff like this. especially how they advertised the 30th set as being some kinda rare special edition that would be the only way to get a decent 4x3 version of the series. idk...whatever. ya'll can enjoy it. :P
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

Tylerman29
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tylerman29 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:22 pm

After having sold my 30th set for the Dragon Boxes, I think I might get these purely because I like the packaging.
DB, Z, and GT subbed are my "canon".
SSJ4 > Any transformation in Super.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:23 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:48 pm Looks like this is getting a steelbook release.
"New anime announced by Funimation! Dragon Ball Z Steelbooks (in 4:3 aspect ratio)"
Image Image Image
The packaging looks great, it's just a shame the picture quality isn't as good. I can't believe Z is getting yet another release (the 9th), yet the original DB only has 2, its original singles and the remastered sets from back in 2009. Out of all the resources going into Z, can't DB get a fraction of it ?

Tylerman29
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tylerman29 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:27 pm

I'm hoping that if this does well they will MAYBE put out new blu rays steelbooks for the movies at least. Even better OG db.

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:30 pm

Tylerman29 wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:27 pm I'm hoping that if this does well they will MAYBE put out new blu rays steelbooks for the movies at least. Even better OG db.
Nah, Bro. they're working on another Z remaster after these. :P
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:36 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:48 pm Looks like this is getting a steelbook release.
Image Image Image
Those covers are really nice, although I'm not a steelbook fan and the 30th anniversary remaster is not going to be the last time DBZ is ever released. But hey, if all the in print releases are in 4:3 that will at least be half the battle won.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:37 pm

Guys, you should know the drill here, but in any case:
  • DO NOT BUY THEM IN THE FIRST FEW WEEKS. If you plan to buy them, at least wait a few weeks, just to show some form of protest.
  • Above all, though, DO NOT PREORDER THEM.
  • Complain on Twitter to Funi about how these are just the same smeary bullshit we had before (remember to link Ajay's video).
  • SPREAD THE WORD: Tell your friends to avoid these sets, AT LEAST until they go down in price. (Again, Ajay's video may be helpful to explain why they're shit)
  • Don't get your hopes up. These are 100% for sure just the 30th sets repackaged. If you already own the 30th sets, there is nothing for you here.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:56 pm

I really don't care to protest this release. It's in 4:3 and the majority of fans don't hate the DNR. I'll let my friends who aren't super deep into the fandom know that these exist and let them decide for themselves whether they want it on Bluray in 4:3 or if they're just gonna stream it in 16:9 on Funi's site.

I'm literally the only one among them who cares about the nitpicky details and I'd rather not burden them with the "every release is terrible" mindset when they're all hardcore martial artists who happen to like DBZ rather than hardcore DBZ fans that happen to train in martial arts.

But don't let me stop you! Share your voice and do the thing!!
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Different

Post by Different » Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:19 pm

They're pretty expensive.. $60 MSRP x 9 is $540. Even if you got em all half off, you're still paying $270, at that rate, you'd have still been better off buying the 30th set since you can sell the extras for a pretty penny.

Tylerman29
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tylerman29 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:40 pm

Different wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:19 pm They're pretty expensive.. $60 MSRP x 9 is $540. Even if you got em all half off, you're still paying $270, at that rate, you'd have still been better off buying the 30th set since you can sell the extras for a pretty penny.
But the steelbooks are way better looking and safer for your discs than the garbage 30th set. The "extras" were pretty poor as well.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:49 pm

Steelbooks are generally expensive, I've personally never bought one as I find they are an easy cash-in for releases that have proven to be profitable previously. There's also the possibility other distributors like Manga UK and Madman will have their own release in regular amaray Blu-Ray cases.
Tylerman29 wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:40 pm But the steelbooks are way better looking and safer for your discs than the garbage 30th set. The "extras" were pretty poor as well.
Steelbooks also tend to have discs stacked on top of one another, which is the most common way a company sabotages their own packaging.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:01 pm

Kendamu wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:56 pm I'm literally the only one among them who cares about the nitpicky details and I'd rather not burden them with the "every release is terrible" mindset when they're all hardcore martial artists who happen to like DBZ rather than hardcore DBZ fans that happen to train in martial arts.
But it's not nitpicky to point out that every release is terrible. :P

Personally, in your shoes, I'd take this attitude: Every release is terrible, so rather than advising them against picking this up, advise them to pick up whichever release is cheapest. They've all got serious problems in various different ways, so they should just pick whichever way of watching has them spend the least money.

You don't have to give them the full rundown, it's just a simple "Eh, they've all got issues; just pick up the cheapest one you can." No need for the whole schpiel about what grain is, why DNR is sometimes (but not always) bad, why Funi's DNR in particular is wrong, cropping, framing, etc... It's not needed.
Last edited by Robo4900 on Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:02 pm

Looks like this new set has some special features for volumes 2 and 3, those interviews sound interesting, but I don't see myself getting those sets just for that. I'm just bummed that those of us who prefer DVD are either stuck with the crappy Orange Bricks or having to hunt down the singles, i'd kill for just a normal 4:3 DVD box set.

I've only had a few steel-books myself, i've got one for Force Unleashed 2 and had the Ultimate Sith edition for the first game, and a few other random DVDs I can't remember. I do remember when Halo 2 got a steelbook that was labled as a "limited collectors edition" but it turned out to not be "limited" at all and Microsoft made so many of the things that the steelbook version was actually more common then the normal version and scalpers on Ebay were stuck with steelbooks that were hardly worth anything. :lol:
"Why run away from something you're not afraid of?" - Goku

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:05 pm

Planetnamek wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:02 pm Looks like this new set has some special features for volumes 2 and 3, those interviews sound interesting, but I don't see myself getting those sets just for that.
I'm pretty sure they're the same features that were on the 30th sets.
Planetnamek wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:02 pm I'm just bummed that those of us who prefer DVD are either stuck with the crappy Orange Bricks or having to hunt down the singles, i'd kill for just a normal 4:3 DVD box set.
Heh. Reason #42069 that the Dragon Boxes should have been the mass market DBZ DVD in the late '00s.
Planetnamek wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:02 pm I've only had a few steel-books myself, i've got one for Force Unleashed 2 and had the Ultimate Sith edition for the first game, and a few other random DVDs I can't remember. I do remember when Halo 2 got a steelbook that was labled as a "limited collectors edition" but it turned out to not be "limited" at all and Microsoft made so many of the things that the steelbook version was actually more common then the normal version and scalpers on Ebay were stuck with steelbooks that were hardly worth anything. :lol:
I've got a few steelbooks too... They're quite nice, to be honest, though they look out of place on a shelf next to normal DVDs. I guess that's ultimately just a nitpick, though.

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:12 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:05 pm
Planetnamek wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:02 pm Looks like this new set has some special features for volumes 2 and 3, those interviews sound interesting, but I don't see myself getting those sets just for that.
I'm pretty sure they're the same features that were on the 30th sets.
Planetnamek wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:02 pm I'm just bummed that those of us who prefer DVD are either stuck with the crappy Orange Bricks or having to hunt down the singles, i'd kill for just a normal 4:3 DVD box set.
Heh. Reason #42069 that the Dragon Boxes should have been the mass market DBZ DVD in the late '00s.
Planetnamek wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:02 pm I've only had a few steel-books myself, i've got one for Force Unleashed 2 and had the Ultimate Sith edition for the first game, and a few other random DVDs I can't remember. I do remember when Halo 2 got a steelbook that was labled as a "limited collectors edition" but it turned out to not be "limited" at all and Microsoft made so many of the things that the steelbook version was actually more common then the normal version and scalpers on Ebay were stuck with steelbooks that were hardly worth anything. :lol:
I've got a few steelbooks too... They're quite nice, to be honest, though they look out of place on a shelf next to normal DVDs. I guess that's ultimately just a nitpick, though.
Oh they're the same? Well that's dissapointing if true.

I feel the same way about slipcases, I feel they look out of place next to regular DVD or game cases and having to remove the slipcase every time just adds an extra step, I remember when I got a few Iron Maiden remastered CDs from Borders and they had slip-covers, I immediately threw away the slip-covers as soon as I unwrapped the plastic as they just got in the way.

I would've been cool with the Dragon Boxes being mass-market(albeit with an option for the Faulconer/Wasserman scores).
"Why run away from something you're not afraid of?" - Goku