Funimation's 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ArmenianPepsi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by ArmenianPepsi » Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:18 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:08 pm
MasenkoHA wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 9:32 pm
KBABZ wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:50 am , because the first three Dragon Ball movies go through three completely different voice actors for Goku and two for Bulma,
Other way around actually. Three for Bulma; Monica Rial (or Maggie O’Hara if you have the BLT version), Leslie Alexander aka middle age Librarian, and then Tiffany Vollmer. Goku only had two Colleen Clinkenbeard (or Saffron Henderson if you’re watching the BLT dub) and Ceyli Degadillo for movie 2 and 3. If you factor in the 10th anniversary film then Goku had 3 different voice actresses with that being Nadolny’s only Dragon Ball film as Goku, since it was ,ironically, the only DB film to be dubbed while the tv series dub was in production.
not to mention the dub for movie 2 is one of the EARLIEST dubs Funimation ever did and it's god-awful.
Their very first in-house project and it makes season 3 almost acceptable by comparison.

I too think it's hands down the absolute worst dub of the early in house era with the DBZ Season 3 dub (OG 1999 version, and then to a lesser extent the patchwork 2007 Orange Brick redub version) as close second. Seriously, you can tell it was done back in the day when FUNi didn't even have good audio recording equipment due to how small of a company they were at the time.
I'm not too knowledgeable on the 2007 "Remastered" dub, but didn't Funi go back only to redub the most egregiously poor/innacurate parts of the OG dub, rather than redub all 291 episodes?
First time Dragon Ball fan as of March 2020. Still learning the ropes. Nothing much else to say,

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:25 pm

ArmenianPepsi wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:18 pm

Other way around actually. Three for Bulma; Monica Rial (or Maggie O’Hara if you have the BLT version), Leslie Alexander aka middle age Librarian, and then Tiffany Vollmer. Goku only had two Colleen Clinkenbeard (or Saffron Henderson if you’re watching the BLT dub) and Ceyli Degadillo for movie 2 and 3. If you factor in the 10th anniversary film then Goku had 3 different voice actresses with that being Nadolny’s only Dragon Ball film as Goku, since it was ,ironically, the only DB film to be dubbed while the tv series dub was in production.

Their very first in-house project and it makes season 3 almost acceptable by comparison.

I too think it's hands down the absolute worst dub of the early in house era with the DBZ Season 3 dub (OG 1999 version, and then to a lesser extent the patchwork 2007 Orange Brick redub version) as close second. Seriously, you can tell it was done back in the day when FUNi didn't even have good audio recording equipment due to how small of a company they were at the time.
I'm not too knowledgeable on the 2007 "Remastered" dub, but didn't Funi go back only to redub the most egregiously poor/innacurate parts of the OG dub, rather than redub all 291 episodes?
Basically, some of the actors went back and redubbed the characters with their then current takes of the voices particularly Sabat as Vegeta where his original 1999 take was a poor Brian Drummond impression. They also got rid of some of the worst jokes and lines (No KRILLIN'S IN DA HOUSE!!!!!".etc) but overall not a whole lot with leaving the vast majority as is and the only thing they redubbed in full was episodes 1-67 in 2004/2005 and those needed to be done due to only being available up to that point in cut up edited, dub only form with the Ocean cast from almost a decade prior.

However, there's still ample amounts of the awful writing there so it really was meaningless in the long run especially in light of Kai which came out soon after.
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:40 pm, edited 3 times in total.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:26 pm

Not really. Some of the actors redub their lines for consistency with the first 67 uncut episodes which were dubbed last but they’re more or less saying the exact same dialog they did in 1999 with some minor tweaks.

The actual difference in the dialog is pretty negligible and a lot of the “who the fuck writes this shit?” dialog is retained for the re-recorded lines

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:28 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:25 pm They also got rid of some of the worst jokes and lines (No KRILLIN'S IN DA HOUSE!!!!!".etc)
Granted, that infamous line was in a NEP and those were trashed entirely for the season sets.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:34 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:28 pm
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:25 pm They also got rid of some of the worst jokes and lines (No KRILLIN'S IN DA HOUSE!!!!!".etc)
Granted, that infamous line was in a NEP and those were trashed entirely for the season sets.
I knew that of course, and unless i'm mistaken i don't believe it was on the old single release either because they only had one dubbed preview a piece at the end for the next tape or DVD before stopping with including them after a certain point. The dubbed NEP's were mostly exclusive to the CN/Toonami airings.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

ArmenianPepsi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ArmenianPepsi » Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:43 am

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:25 pm

Basically, some of the actors went back and redubbed the characters with their then current takes of the voices particularly Sabat as Vegeta where his original 1999 take was a poor Brian Drummond impression. They also got rid of some of the worst jokes and lines (No KRILLIN'S IN DA HOUSE!!!!!".etc) but overall not a whole lot with leaving the vast majority as is and the only thing they redubbed in full was episodes 1-67 in 2004/2005 and those needed to be done due to only being available up to that point in cut up edited, dub only form with the Ocean cast from almost a decade prior.

However, there's still ample amounts of the awful writing there so it really was meaningless in the long run especially in light of Kai which came out soon after.
Ah I see now, thanks for the rundown.
First time Dragon Ball fan as of March 2020. Still learning the ropes. Nothing much else to say,

Different

Post by Different » Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:01 pm

Does anyone have the UK version and can confirm it is indeed region A/B? I know you can see it on the discs on https://dbz30.funimation.com/ but I wouldn't be surprised if they were just being lazy and used the same images from the US release.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:20 pm

I don't have the set distributed by Manga UK, but unless I'm mistaken Funimation couldn't sell all 6,000 copies so they gave a batch to Manga UK (and likely now more to Madman) so theoretically it should be the exact same product (right down to packaging and logos, etc) as in the US.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

BluezaBladeNZ
Regular

Post by BluezaBladeNZ » Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:35 am

I ordered the set from the Madman NZ listing (just disappeared today), wasn't an easy decision, so I'll find out how that one is but I'm expecting it to be 1:1 with the USA release aside from a leaflet or attachment with their branding

FarrowWind

Post by FarrowWind » Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:38 pm

I purchased the 30th anniversary because I had been unable to get the dbox. Go figure, 3 months after I got the 30th anniversary set a friend of mine sold me the entire dbox collection!!!! Set me back $400 but now I am officially done buying dbz.

Asmo

Post by Asmo » Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:14 am

BluezaBladeNZ wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:35 am I ordered the set from the Madman NZ listing (just disappeared today), wasn't an easy decision, so I'll find out how that one is but I'm expecting it to be 1:1 with the USA release aside from a leaflet or attachment with their branding
It disappeared from Madman Australia too. I'm wondering if their allocation has sold out, but it's still available from Sanity.
Apparently we're getting it in a different box, but that's likely the only difference.

See here (but please note that the release date has been pushed back a week):
https://mobile.twitter.com/AnimeNewsAU/ ... 7836680193
FarrowWind wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 6:38 pm I purchased the 30th anniversary because I had been unable to get the dbox. Go figure, 3 months after I got the 30th anniversary set a friend of mine sold me the entire dbox collection!!!! Set me back $400 but now I am officially done buying dbz.
Congrats! That seems like an awesome price too.

BluezaBladeNZ
Regular

Post by BluezaBladeNZ » Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:46 am

I noticed that also. I do wonder how many they got exactly, cause it doesn't sound like a number where it could be comfortably split to different suppliers (Sanity AU, Mightyape NZ) if FUNi only reportedly made 6000 sets.

That new outer box took me by surprise the other day, but at least it should make it a lot nicer to display than having the contents on its own loose. Hoping that it's actually a nice quality sturdy box (instead of flimsy cardboard), but I'll find out when I get mine.

This set is gonna be the absolute last time I buy the series. Already had the FUNi DBOXes which I regretfully sold and just finished getting all the Japanese DBOX sets. Gonna be interesting to see the size difference between the 30th disc box to the JPN DBOX sets :lol:

ArmenianPepsi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ArmenianPepsi » Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:41 pm

BluezaBladeNZ wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:46 am This set is gonna be the absolute last time I buy the series. Already had the FUNi DBOXes which I regretfully sold and just finished getting all the Japanese DBOX sets. Gonna be interesting to see the size difference between the 30th disc box to the JPN DBOX sets :lol:
How would you feel if you wake up tomorrow morning and Funi announced "lol we gonna finish the level sets now"? :lol:

BluezaBladeNZ
Regular

Post by BluezaBladeNZ » Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:28 am

:lol: Scalp it. :lol:

But if that day ever comes, don't know how long it's been since I actually **watched** the series and not tweaking it, probably when the last FUNi DBOX came out (so getting to 10 years).

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:05 am

ArmenianPepsi wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:41 pm
BluezaBladeNZ wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:46 am This set is gonna be the absolute last time I buy the series. Already had the FUNi DBOXes which I regretfully sold and just finished getting all the Japanese DBOX sets. Gonna be interesting to see the size difference between the 30th disc box to the JPN DBOX sets :lol:
How would you feel if you wake up tomorrow morning and Funi announced "lol we gonna finish the level sets now"? :lol:
Honestly at that point I wouldn't even be mad because the gods just smiled on us for once and gave us what we wanted for once.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:32 am

Honestly, if FUNi announced they were finishing the Levels, I'd be absolutely livid, but thankful. I'd finally be able to say I gave them money for a DBZ release I'm actually proud to have & showed them I wanted. Gotta vote with your wallet. Same with buying Kingdom Hearts on Xbox One. Gotta show them there's interest.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Asmo

Post by Asmo » Fri Aug 07, 2020 4:33 am

BluezaBladeNZ wrote: Thu Aug 06, 2020 6:46 am I noticed that also. I do wonder how many they got exactly, cause it doesn't sound like a number where it could be comfortably split to different suppliers (Sanity AU, Mightyape NZ) if FUNi only reportedly made 6000 sets.

That new outer box took me by surprise the other day, but at least it should make it a lot nicer to display than having the contents on its own loose. Hoping that it's actually a nice quality sturdy box (instead of flimsy cardboard), but I'll find out when I get mine.

This set is gonna be the absolute last time I buy the series. Already had the FUNi DBOXes which I regretfully sold and just finished getting all the Japanese DBOX sets. Gonna be interesting to see the size difference between the 30th disc box to the JPN DBOX sets :lol:
Didn't realise Mightyape was getting it - incidentally they're not advertising a 10th Sept release date. Was that always the case for NZ? Sanity still says 26th August. I also note that Sanity is only advertising it an online product, meaning that stores won't even get a single copy for click and collect. Makes me think they're getting a very low amount.

I feel the same. This will be the last time I buy it, unless we get something akin to the level sets later. Which might just look close to this without all the DNR/artificially added grain.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:59 am

The thing is, it seems one of the big reasons Funi isn't doing the Levels is because they just honestly think the 30th sets and Season BDs look better. They don't understand why we don't like these sets, so as nice as it'd be to see them finish the Levels (even though some people who bought into some of the shitty releases would be annoyed), it's not going to happen as long as the people currently in charge are still there.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri Aug 07, 2020 10:09 am

Robo4900 wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:59 am The thing is, it seems one of the big reasons Funi isn't doing the Levels is because they just honestly think the 30th sets and Season BDs look better. They don't understand why we don't like these sets, so as nice as it'd be to see them finish the Levels (even though some people who bought into some of the shitty releases would be annoyed), it's not going to happen as long as the people currently in charge are still there.
Agreed here too. Considering we've gotten three releases that have the exact same "look" as far as DNR processes go with different teams on each, it's safe to say that it's an upper management mandate.

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:21 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 9:59 am The thing is, it seems one of the big reasons Funi isn't doing the Levels is because they just honestly think the 30th sets and Season BDs look better. They don't understand why we don't like these sets, so as nice as it'd be to see them finish the Levels (even though some people who bought into some of the shitty releases would be annoyed), it's not going to happen as long as the people currently in charge are still there.
Someone else in another thread(forgot which one) theorized that Funi had already finished doing all the restoration work for every single episode of DBZ and that they could in theory release more Level Sets if they wanted to, they just don't want to because they've discovered that it's much more lucrative to incrementally change things with every new set instead of actually giving the fans everything they want on one set, and I can believe that.
"Why run away from something you're not afraid of?" - Goku