Funimation's 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:09 pm

Char Aznable wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:56 pm
eledoremassis02 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:39 pm
Daimo-Rukiri wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:31 pm The best thing we can do right now is wait, let's stop speculating what is in the trailer and what is not.
Let's also not assume anything in the video is actually going to be in the final product either.

In the coming weeks we should get some updates and possibly screencaps.
I think the problem is there are those (who are on both sided) that are timid to pre-order on fear we are seeing the final product and those that want to wait, but the pre-orders will be filled by then. However, I wouldnt put it past FUNimation to include more pre-orders since this seems to be filling up quick
^ Bingo.

Not worth taking the chance it’ll be good, I’d rather take the gamble. Like I said it’s really win-win to me. It’ll either be a better product than shown, and that sweet vindication will be rubbed into some faces here, because at least one person here (not AM, you’re cool) wants to mock people for buying what is - in the end - a Blu-ray collection of a cartoon show meant for Japanese boys, so good on you I guess.

If it’s not good and the trailer footage is accurate, I reckon it’ll still be the only Blu-ray collection in 4:3 for some time and I don’t want to wear down my Dragon Boxes too much. DVDs are more prone to damage than Blu-rays, let’s not forget. If I choose to not keep it, it’ll likely sell for profit.

To me the worst case scenario is having it be a good product and already being sold out, and my track record with luck isn’t too great.

And you know what? I have the Dragon Boxes, I have what is the best version of the show, so doesn’t matter to me either way.

And the thoughts of there being a Toei-JPN remaster? It’s possible, but as of now they’re pushing this.
I actually decided to rip and back up all of my FUNi Dragon Boxes to m4v files to watch on my computer any time, in which the good thing in doing that is it prevents the discs from receiving more use than they already have and getting any more scratches at a risk of having playback issues from said scratches.

Now i can watch the show anywhere i go and not have worry about the discs themselves breaking down on me in the future.
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:21 pm, edited 6 times in total.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:09 pm

If this really isn't the final product it was dumb of them to put out a trailer already. Honestly this probably is how it will be, otherwise why risk making people jump to conclusions?

In the past I've seen people discourage others from getting the Season Blu-rays on the basis of "There will be something better from Toei! Funi will release it! Be patient!". People really jumped the gun once they heard about the Toei remaster and just assumed it would be released everywhere, and basically acted like it was a given.

At the price they're asking for this, people would have been much better off getting the Amazon Exclusive complete Season 1-9 set. It would have been cheaper and would have had less picture loss overall, even if it wasn't much better than the Bricks.

jelleline89
Beyond Newbie

Post by jelleline89 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:19 pm

Roughly 30 days, or 712 hours, remain before the deadline, with 1,176 reservations still needed to meet the minimum. Simply put, even if this campaign only got 2 reservations an hour here on out, it would still meet the deadline in 24 and a half days, or 588 hours.

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:26 pm

So since the weird zooming on this release eerily reminded me of the OG Dragon Ball "Blue Bricks", I figured I'd do a comparison:
So by my (admittedly rough) estimation, both the Blue Bricks and this 30th Anniversary DBZ Release (which I guess we're calling the "Black Bricks" now) lose roughly 16% of the image compared to the Dragon Box, although the Blue Bricks crop is more center-top while the Black Bricks are closer to being a straight center crop. Why does FUNimation have this strange repeated practice of zooming 4:3 footage?
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

Godgoku95
Beyond Newbie

Post by Godgoku95 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:33 pm

if i cant get the set i don't mind i have the old sets

jelleline89
Beyond Newbie

Post by jelleline89 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:34 pm

PremiumSalt wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:26 pm So since the weird zooming on this release eerily reminded me of the OG Dragon Ball "Blue Bricks", I figured I'd do a comparison:
So by my (admittedly rough) estimation, both the Blue Bricks and this 30th Anniversary DBZ Release (which I guess we're calling the "Black Bricks" now) lose roughly 16% of the image compared to the Dragon Box, although the Blue Bricks crop is more center-top while the Black Bricks are closer to being a straight center crop. Why does FUNimation have this strange repeated practice of zooming 4:3 footage?
Perhaps it's tape damage they can't be bothered to repair in every single frame? Unless FUNimation does this solely for the intention of making their re-releases down the line continuously tangible to the fans, I can't see why they would willingly crop out so much aspect without reason.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:34 pm

PremiumSalt wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:26 pm So since the weird zooming on this release eerily reminded me of the OG Dragon Ball "Blue Bricks", I figured I'd do a comparison:
I believe if i heard right, in the case of the original series on the Blue Bricks sets the zoom in thing was likely done due to the amount of artifacting and damage that is present on their multi generation digibeta masters or at least that was stated as the reason for it.
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:44 pm, edited 4 times in total.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:35 pm

My guess it's to hide tape marks. But it's no worse than what can be blocked on a crt. I know its suppose to be a priemium product but we know it's not anymore but the dnr and saturation is what kills me the most. It's just 4x3 season sets which I regret being curious about now lol

rs_chaosmaster
Regular

Post by rs_chaosmaster » Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:38 pm

For those that are bashing and saying anyone who thinks this trailer is not the final product is dilusional let me pose one simple question. Why is the film footage only from episode 1 of this master is done and is the final product? The Dragon Boxes, Blu Rays, Level Sets, Orange Bricks all had film footage from multiple episodes. This to me screams the remaster is not done!!!

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:42 pm

rs_chaosmaster wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:38 pm For those that are bashing and saying anyone who thinks this trailer is not the final product is dilusional let me pose one simple question. Why is the film footage only from episode 1 of this master is done and is the final product? The Dragon Boxes, Blu Rays, Level Sets, Orange Bricks all had film footage from multiple episodes. This to me screams the remaster is not done!!!
FUNimation loves making us anxious lol. Their needs to be more transparency about this set since it's fan backed. If it's not what the final product expects to look like they need to state it otherwise it could be false advertising and as much as Id love to buy it, it just feels too risky.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:54 pm

KBABZ wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:57 am
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:38 am Everything about this release just feels so lazy. That will be even more obvious if the hardback book contains nothing but recycled promo art. Worse part is Funimation seems to think after all the complaining about their problems people will buy this set just because its in 4:3. Passive aggressiveness at its worst.
I mean to be fair, an artbook kinda has recycled artwork as its bread and butter, and personally I like promo art too for the most part.
For any ole' release artbooks with artwork we've seen before would be fine, but for the 30th fucking anniversary set what we've seen so far is the season set covers slapped on. It just feels like Funimation want to do as little work as possible to put a shiny box together because they know it will sell regardless.

Maybe there will be other art in the book, I just think having brand new art (preferably from Shintani) would make this release feel more collectible, because it would be new art pieces we've never seen before and if the remaster is good will make people want to buy this set even more to have it as a nice bonus.

Not to forget the Banpresto Goku figure only being slightly altered, the image of Goku on the front being recycled from Kai Final Chapters, and by the looks of things the actual footage just being the season set footage reconverted to 4:3, it just feels like one shortcut after another, and we shouldn't be telling Funimation they can keep this up by buying the set. If they just put a little bit of effort into this big "Legendary" release they will be rewarded for it because a lot of us will pay for quality.

Honestly I can live with it, I prefer Kai to Z, like some others here but I still think.Z should have a definitive release and be preserved faithfully for those that want it the most.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

rs_chaosmaster
Regular

Post by rs_chaosmaster » Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:54 pm

I honestly believe the trailer was more meant emphasize 4:3 the package design, the limited reservation period and the fact that it’s the entire series in one set then the video footage. Yes they could and should of not had anything about the film footage but then everyone would be bitching and complaining anyways saying I’m not going to reserve something that doesn’t show the film.

This was always going to have some fans complaining about it. The only way it wouldn’t would have been:

4:3 aspect ratio
Closing Credits And Next Episode Previews
Dragon Box quality film footage color corrected
Japanese Broadcast Audio
New English DBZ Dub with all the original actors
Original OG Toonami Funimation Dub
Ocean Dub of DBZ
Falconer Score
Kikuchki Score
No Grain or Grain option

If it had all that maybe there would be no one complaining.
Of course there are those who want only digital there are those who wouldn’t be happy with the packaging. I think if Funimation provides a final remaster close to the level sets it will be acceptable. Not perfect but still let’s see what happens.

HakkaiBills93
Banned

Post by HakkaiBills93 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:58 pm

rs_chaosmaster wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:38 pm For those that are bashing and saying anyone who thinks this trailer is not the final product is dilusional let me pose one simple question. Why is the film footage only from episode 1 of this master is done and is the final product? The Dragon Boxes, Blu Rays, Level Sets, Orange Bricks all had film footage from multiple episodes. This to me screams the remaster is not done!!!
Do you really think a company will use ugly footage to promote this collector edition? trailers goal are supposed to convinced you buying the product, if they really wanted to use 4/3 footage from other source cause it wouldn't have been done yet, the level sets would have been the better one. Using this shit and not answering to any people asking them if it's the final product (but answering to all people that can't ordered them) only show me how hard they try once again to fool people it's for me an illegal release

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:06 pm

I have a genuine question for those who think that the footage is not what will be on the release. Why, in that case, does it not say at the bottom of the screen "Footage Not Final" or something to that effect? It says "Artwork Not Final" whenever the show the packaging. Why the transparency in regards to the packaging, but not in regards to the footage?
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

rs_chaosmaster
Regular

Post by rs_chaosmaster » Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:11 pm

Because Funimation’s marketing team are morons look no further than the first trailer for DBZ Kai back in 09

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:17 pm

SqueakyBoots wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:44 pm Couple points I want to make.

1. You all need to ease off on the people buying this. Not everyone was able to buy the Dragon Boxes eight years ago and to those people, smeary shit that isn't cropped is still better than smeary shit that is cropped.
Not in this case:

You get much more picture with the 16:9 than the "4:3".

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:18 pm

rs_chaosmaster wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:54 pm I honestly believe the trailer was more meant emphasize 4:3 the package design, the limited reservation period and the fact that it’s the entire series in one set then the video footage. Yes they could and should of not had anything about the film footage but then everyone would be bitching and complaining anyways saying I’m not going to reserve something that doesn’t show the film.

This was always going to have some fans complaining about it. The only way it wouldn’t would have been:

4:3 aspect ratio
Closing Credits And Next Episode Previews
Dragon Box quality film footage color corrected
Japanese Broadcast Audio
New English DBZ Dub with all the original actors
Original OG Toonami Funimation Dub
Ocean Dub of DBZ

Falconer Score
Kikuchki Score
No Grain or Grain option

If it had all that maybe there would be no one complaining.
Of course there are those who want only digital there are those who wouldn’t be happy with the packaging. I think if Funimation provides a final remaster close to the level sets it will be acceptable. Not perfect but still let’s see what happens.
Unfortunately neither would be an option because those dubs are edited and wouldn't sync with the uncut Japanese audio. Damn though, the Westwood dub still needs to receive some form of a home release. The Japanese broadcast audio would be a good selling point, but at this point I don't think that would be enough to salvage this set.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

jelleline89
Beyond Newbie

Post by jelleline89 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:24 pm

1938/3000

Maybe we will be lucky and get more details once the 3,000 goal is reached. We can only hope.

rs_chaosmaster
Regular

Post by rs_chaosmaster » Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:25 pm

PremiumSalt wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:06 pm I have a genuine question for those who think that the footage is not what will be on the release. Why, in that case, does it not say at the bottom of the screen "Footage Not Final" or something to that effect? It says "Artwork Not Final" whenever the show the packaging. Why the transparency in regards to the packaging, but not in regards to the footage?
They are horrible at marketing perfect example right here.

https://youtu.be/bPOFOomo9b8

AnimeMaakuo
Advanced Regular

Post by AnimeMaakuo » Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:34 pm

Q: Are you not able to reveal more details of the 30th anniversary because the remaster is not complete?

A: “Please check out our trailer and understand our mixing board is doing their very best for those who want the hardcore experience. Also, there might be a special prize given to fans who pre-ordered the 30th anniversary edition before the deadline. They will be selected randomly.”

Let me guess, a signed poster? Pttf, give me a break! They are trying so hard to get people to buy this. If only they reduced the price and ditched a figure and maybe the art book, they could’ve focused on a better box and remaster.
Last edited by AnimeMaakuo on Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My YouTube

Soppa Saiyjins from Dorgou Ballru Zetto is my favorite transformation everah, especially when Trounksoru did it in front of Seru and when Bejita did it when he faced Jingonigen-hachigo. But for real, I use the FUNi pronunciation. - Soppa Saia People