Funimation's 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Robo4900
I Live Here

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:16 pm

Planetnamek wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:12 pm I would've been cool with the Dragon Boxes being mass-market(albeit with an option for the Faulconer/Wasserman scores).
Yeah. If they'd done that instead of the Orange Bricks, I think we'd ALL be a lot less grumpy about Funimation. :lol:
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:17 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:16 pm
Planetnamek wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:12 pm I would've been cool with the Dragon Boxes being mass-market(albeit with an option for the Faulconer/Wasserman scores).
Yeah. If they'd done that instead of the Orange Bricks, I think we'd ALL be a lot less grumpy about Funimation. :lol:
I'll do a Ginyu pose to that!

I also wouldn't mind seeing another release of original Dragon Ball.
"Why run away from something you're not afraid of?" - Goku

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:39 pm

Planetnamek wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:02 pm Looks like this new set has some special features for volumes 2 and 3, those interviews sound interesting, but I don't see myself getting those sets just for that. I'm just bummed that those of us who prefer DVD are either stuck with the crappy Orange Bricks or having to hunt down the singles, i'd kill for just a normal 4:3 DVD box set.

I've only had a few steel-books myself, i've got one for Force Unleashed 2 and had the Ultimate Sith edition for the first game, and a few other random DVDs I can't remember. I do remember when Halo 2 got a steelbook that was labled as a "limited collectors edition" but it turned out to not be "limited" at all and Microsoft made so many of the things that the steelbook version was actually more common then the normal version and scalpers on Ebay were stuck with steelbooks that were hardly worth anything. :lol:
RightStuff does do sales so I'd advide to have them wait for that, if they plan on getting it cheaper. If we have too many people buying cheaper releases (that arent used) It'll just tell FUNimation that fans still want 16x9. Price point aside, I think the main thing (for me) is that this is another 4:3 release (and if it gets completed it'll be the only in print release thats 4:3 thats readlity available).

Now lets see what font they'll use for the title cards this time lol.
I would of loved that as well, granted with better encoding. After a few Japanese single releases the picture quality of the U.S ver. just laacked, espeshally in action scenes.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:56 pm

Just saw the news a bit ago about these new steelbook BD sets on the last page, and so i've had a hunch for a good while now that FUNi was eventually going to take the masters used for the 30th anniversary set and release them broken up into season collections. It's such a darn shame the quality of the video is so lacking, because i tell you now if this were something akin to the Level sets then i would definitely be 100% on board with it. The best thing i can say is that at least a 4:3 version is out there for purchase, though please know that this isn't by any means the ideal form we would like for owning the series in it's proper aspect ratio.

So overall thanks but no thanks, i'm still going to be holding onto my Dragon Boxes for the forseeable future.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:04 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:56 pm Just saw the news a bit ago about these new steelbook BD sets on the last page, and so i've had a hunch for a good while now that FUNi was eventually going to take the masters used for the 30th anniversary set and release them broken up into season collections. It's such a darn shame the quality of the video is so lacking, because i tell you now if this were something akin to the Level sets then i would definitely be 100% on board with it. The best thing i can say is that at least a 4:3 version is out there for purchase, though please know that this isn't by any means the ideal form we would like for owning the series in it's proper aspect ratio.

So overall thanks but no thanks, i'm still going to be holding onto my Dragon Boxes for the forseeable future.
I agree, I like the look of these steelbooks, but I already have the 30th set. The only other way they can get me to rebuy the series is if they make a release that is equal or better to the level sets sets but at this point, I rather just have Dragon Ball in HD over another Z release.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:08 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:04 pm
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:56 pm Just saw the news a bit ago about these new steelbook BD sets on the last page, and so i've had a hunch for a good while now that FUNi was eventually going to take the masters used for the 30th anniversary set and release them broken up into season collections. It's such a darn shame the quality of the video is so lacking, because i tell you now if this were something akin to the Level sets then i would definitely be 100% on board with it. The best thing i can say is that at least a 4:3 version is out there for purchase, though please know that this isn't by any means the ideal form we would like for owning the series in it's proper aspect ratio.

I agree, I like the look of these steelbooks, but I already have the 30th set. The only other way they can get me to rebuy the series is if they make a release that is equal or better to the level sets sets but at this point, I rather just have Dragon Ball in HD over another Z release.
Indeed, i find the Blue Bricks overall decent for what they are and am satisfied with them but OG DB is definitely well overdue for re release and having an actual HD version would be nice.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:26 pm

Is anyone else struck by how shitty it is of Funi to do a "Once in a lifetime opportunity" for the 30th sets, complete with the whole crowdfunding-esque thing, followed a year later by them doing a mass-market version that's the exact same aside from the packaging?

I'm seriously baffled at how they think ANY of what they've done in regards to this disaster is even close to something the fans actually want. Literally the only thing they didn't completely fuck up is that the ratio between the width and height of the picture on these sets is 4:3... Everything else really has been a mess.

The only possible solace in all this is that maybe sometime in the next 10-15 years, they'll want to put out a new release of DBZ, and their only option will be to do an actually-not-shitty release that the hardcore fans will actually want to buy. Because I really don't think there's any possible way for them to do another release without doing it properly...

Though, physical media is dying out now, so maybe this is the last release we'll ever see.
Ugh. I hate this.
Planetnamek wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:17 pm I'll do a Ginyu pose to that!

I would mind! Funi would probably fuck it up! :lol:
eledoremassis02 wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:39 pm Now lets see what font they'll use for the title cards this time lol.
It will be the exact same visuals from the 30th set. Hell, probably the exact same discs; menus and all.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:37 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:26 pm Is anyone else struck by how shitty it is of Funi to do a "Once in a lifetime opportunity" for the 30th sets, complete with the whole crowdfunding-esque thing, followed a year later by them doing a mass-market version that's the exact same aside from the packaging?

I'm seriously baffled at how they think ANY of what they've done in regards to this disaster is even close to something the fans actually want. Literally the only thing they didn't completely fuck up is that the ratio between the width and height of the picture on these sets is 4:3... Everything else really has been a mess.

The only possible solace in all this is that maybe sometime in the next 10-15 years, they'll want to put out a new release of DBZ, and their only option will be to do an actually-not-shitty release that the hardcore fans will actually want to buy. Because I really don't think there's any possible way for them to do another release without doing it properly...

Though, physical media is dying out now, so maybe this is the last release we'll ever see.
Ugh. I hate this.

eledoremassis02 wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:39 pm Now lets see what font they'll use for the title cards this time lol.
It will be the exact same visuals from the 30th set. Hell, probably the exact same discs; menus and all.
This has been such an absolute freaking mess and travesty since circa 2006/2007, with only the occasional bright spot in between to offset it. I still maintain as i have said here previously that if the Orange Bricks had just been a simple repackage of the singles but just with better encoding then things would be a lot better than is now. Seriously, something like that being a mass marketed release in stores as opposed to the DNR smeared cropped garbage that actually came out then would've spared us all of these constant headaches with FUNi constantly and painfully missing the mark so much that we've had to endure for the last decade plus.
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:48 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:26 pm Is anyone else struck by how shitty it is of Funi to do a "Once in a lifetime opportunity" for the 30th sets, complete with the whole crowdfunding-esque thing, followed a year later by them doing a mass-market version that's the exact same aside from the packaging?

Ugh. I hate this.

Even though I do disagree with a lot of people about the new 30th sets, because I like them and do not think they're as bad as everyone likes to trash them. as I said a page back. I definitely agree with you that I think it is kinda dirty of Funi to rerelease it a year later like ''Heeyyyy if ya'll woulda just hung in there *chuckles chuckles*'' I mean, I'm glad that for people who couldn't maybe get a chance to own the series in a 4x3 aspect who missed the Dragonboxes can now get this set if they want too. but idk...it does kinda make the 30th set less special but whatever..haha
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 8:56 pm

As someone who owns the set, not too much burned. I mean, it's was whole series in a space saving box (even if it is those carboard sleeves). I guess it doesnt hurt that I sold the extras and got the set down to $75. But, I think it woulda been cooler if it were these steelbooks in a display box (similar to WB's Batman 4k bluray set of the 90's films).

Atleast I got it with the idea that I may not have been able to get it, then to get it; only for it to screw other people over by it's sudden limited edition status (Dragon Box). That was by far waaay more messed up (and the fact they sold extras at scalping prices)

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:08 pm

CALLED IT! I fucking CALLED this last year! I knew they'd rerelease the same masters on new BR releases at some point. Ah, sweet vindication! :lol: :clap: :wave:

In all seriousness, though, this doesn't shock me. At all. I hope they'll put the 2014 BRs out of print now because those are SHIT. I genuinely have no idea why they didn't do a tiered release of the 30th anniversary set that had the episodes by themselves on the discs. Now we have them rereleasing these to make more money. And the chances are they'll never learn.

I'll be honest, I'm gonna wait for these sets to go on sale first for $20 before I buy these IF I buy them. I'd rather buy collection/season sets of Super first & Super's inconsistent in quality at best. I'm tired of the constant disrespect from FUNi. I just want DBZ in decent quality with the audio & subtitle options. Just give me those & I'll pay money for them.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Fri Aug 14, 2020 9:47 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:01 pm
Kendamu wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 4:56 pm I'm literally the only one among them who cares about the nitpicky details and I'd rather not burden them with the "every release is terrible" mindset when they're all hardcore martial artists who happen to like DBZ rather than hardcore DBZ fans that happen to train in martial arts.
But it's not nitpicky to point out that every release is terrible. :P

Personally, in your shoes, I'd take this attitude: Every release is terrible, so rather than advising them against picking this up, advise them to pick up whichever release is cheapest. They've all got serious problems in various different ways, so they should just pick whichever way of watching has them spend the least money.

You don't have to give them the full rundown, it's just a simple "Eh, they've all got issues; just pick up the cheapest one you can." No need for the whole schpiel about what grain is, why DNR is sometimes (but not always) bad, why Funi's DNR in particular is wrong, cropping, framing, etc... It's not needed.
Oh, you're right! When it comes to folks like you and me it's absolutely not nitpicky to know the general details and say, "They got it wrong again."

It's nitpicky from the perspective of the martial arts couples I know who happen to also like Dragon Ball. They say things like, "Oh, the one where Goku and Vegeta fuse and fight that dude that's Majin Boo with a sword was so badass," instead of saying "Movie 12" or remembering Janemba by name, but they own DBZ-themed Jiu Jitsu rash guards and collect Dragon Ball Funko Pops and slap DBZ stickers on their protein shakers and can tell you about how much fun they had showing the series to their spouse when they streamed it on Funi's site or with their Orange Bricks they bought back in 2007 to replace their bajillion VHS tapes.

My outlook going into this is that these folks are gonna hit me up saying, "Yo, Josie, I'm at Walmart and there's DBZ steelbooks. What are these?" I can say, "They're like the version you watched on Funi's website that's better than your DVDs but in 4:3 like when you watched it on Toonami instead of widescreen where they cut the top and bottom off to make it fit modern TVs," and then send them a screenshot comparison of 4:3 vs 16:9. They're not going to pour over the frames and colors and details like we do. I've tried it with them and they just kinda fall asleep because they'd rather just be eating, training, sleeping, or sparring than hear about lines of resolution and black levels and stuff.

That's where I'm coming from when I say, "You folks have at it! Tear Funi a new one!" It's important to a lot of fans and I would be doing the same thing if I was spending more time with Dragon Ball fans who also happen to train rather than martial artists who happen to like Dragon Ball a lot.

So, go get 'em!
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:04 pm

From my perspective this is a step up, if only in the sense that 4:3 is what the Blu-Rays should have been, and that hopefully this is a replacement for the Blu-Rays so that 4:3 is the standard for "publicly available Dragon Ball" going forward (considering DB and GT's DVDs are also 4:3).

That said I'm not a fan of the packaging art design. The urban splatter half-tone look felt out-dated in 2015, and it certainly doesn't feel like Dragon Ball. Looks like the Spanish DB Blu-Rays win again!

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:08 pm

KBABZ wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:04 pm From my perspective this is a step up, if only in the sense that 4:3 is what the Blu-Rays should have been, and that hopefully this is a replacement for the Blu-Rays so that 4:3 is the standard for "publicly available Dragon Ball" going forward (considering DB and GT's DVDs are also 4:3).

That said I'm not a fan of the packaging art design. The urban splatter half-tone look felt out-dated in 2015, and it certainly doesn't feel like Dragon Ball. Looks like the Spanish DB Blu-Rays win again!
That's one more or less positive thing i'll say about this thing, maybe those people at FUNi in charge of the the home release area have reconsidered and finally realized they've ridden the "DBZ in 16:9!!!!" train as long as possible and those fans who actually prefer that format (as incorrect as it is) are more than covered between the Orange Bricks and Season BD's. Even if the video quality leaves much to be desired, it can be considered a victory to some extent because at least we are seeing more releases that are actually in the correct aspect ratio this time around, although the versions therein aren't what a great many of us here would want.

Agreed on that one point there, at least there now won't be that inconsistency of the two other series being 4:3 with Z being the odd man out in fake widescreen format.
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:17 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:08 pm That's one more or less positive thing i'll say about this thing, maybe those peeople at FUNi in charge of the the home release area have reconsidered and finally realized they've ridden the "DBZ in 16:9!!!!" train as long as possible and those fans who actually prefer that format (as incorrect as it is) are more than covered between the Orange Bricks and Season BD's. Even if the video quality leaves much to be desired, it can be considered a victory to some extent because at least we are seeing more releases that are actually in the correct aspect ratio this time around, although the versions therein aren't what a great many of us here would want.
Well I'm sure Vegetto isn't happy that he has to add yet ANOTHER DBZ release to that section of the website while Japan has "Dragon Boxes, Kai, Super and well that's it I guess got it right the first time".

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:20 pm

KBABZ wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:17 pm
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:08 pm That's one more or less positive thing i'll say about this thing, maybe those peeople at FUNi in charge of the the home release area have reconsidered and finally realized they've ridden the "DBZ in 16:9!!!!" train as long as possible and those fans who actually prefer that format (as incorrect as it is) are more than covered between the Orange Bricks and Season BD's. Even if the video quality leaves much to be desired, it can be considered a victory to some extent because at least we are seeing more releases that are actually in the correct aspect ratio this time around, although the versions therein aren't what a great many of us here would want.
Well I'm sure Vegetto isn't happy that he has to add yet ANOTHER DBZ release to that section of the website while Japan has "Dragon Boxes, Kai, Super and well that's it I guess got it right the first time".
So true, there have been so many releases of just Z alone here over the past 20 something years on multiple formats that it's just one big mess.

ArmenianPepsi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ArmenianPepsi » Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:39 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 3:48 pm Looks like this is getting a steelbook release.
"New anime announced by Funimation! Dragon Ball Z Steelbooks (in 4:3 aspect ratio)"
Source: RightStuff
Image Image Image
CALLED IT :lol:

Not really though, I just wanna make myself feel better
First time Dragon Ball fan as of March 2020. Still learning the ropes. Nothing much else to say,

ArmenianPepsi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ArmenianPepsi » Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:47 pm

Planetnamek wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:17 pm
Robo4900 wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 6:16 pm
I'll do a Ginyu pose to that!

I'm hoping that this AB DB blu ray remaster comes to fruition. If they show to actually care about doing the show justice, and take a Level Set approach to it, I will go out in public and do the Dance of Joy.
First time Dragon Ball fan as of March 2020. Still learning the ropes. Nothing much else to say,

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:50 pm

ArmenianPepsi wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:47 pm I'm hoping that this AB DB blu ray remaster comes to fruition. If they show to actually care about doing the show justice, and take a Level Set approach to it, I will go out in public and do the Dance of Joy.
I will say, this does get my hopes up that OG-DB will appear on Blu-Ray in English someday if Funi's still willing to put out physical media like this (especially considering DBZ is a much longer portion of the story).

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:55 pm

KBABZ wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:50 pm
ArmenianPepsi wrote: Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:47 pm I'm hoping that this AB DB blu ray remaster comes to fruition. If they show to actually care about doing the show justice, and take a Level Set approach to it, I will go out in public and do the Dance of Joy.
I will say, this does get my hopes up that OG-DB will appear on Blu-Ray in English someday if Funi's still willing to put out physical media like this (especially considering DBZ is a much longer portion of the story).
I'd really like that, though of course FUNi doesn't have film masters of the original series as they do with DBZ to make an HD release at this point though i certainly hope it eventually happens.
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Fri Aug 14, 2020 10:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.