Funimation's 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by KBABZ » Tue May 21, 2019 1:13 pm

TVfan721 wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 10:24 am It's really shitty that people actually fell for this release and all 6000 got sold. Such bullshit and once again, Funimation now has no reason to change.
Except it didn't sell that amount, it sold about 3,500 copies as far as I can tell.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Tue May 21, 2019 1:18 pm

KBABZ wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 1:13 pm
TVfan721 wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 10:24 am It's really shitty that people actually fell for this release and all 6000 got sold. Such bullshit and once again, Funimation now has no reason to change.
Except it didn't sell that amount, it sold about 3,500 copies as far as I can tell.
I'm sure even then they still won't see that as a failure, at least i don't think they will but you can never tell.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Jesta'

Post by Jesta' » Tue May 21, 2019 1:27 pm

Why don't they just put out an online release of the totally raw film scan. They barely do any work, and we get a much better copy of DBZ.

Tylerman29
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tylerman29 » Tue May 21, 2019 1:45 pm

Jesta' wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 1:27 pm Why don't they just put out an online release of the totally raw film scan. They barely do any work, and we get a much better copy of DBZ.
I guess because funi thinks the majority of the casuals hate grain. Which might sadly be true.
DB, Z, and GT subbed are my "canon".
SSJ4 > Any transformation in Super.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Tue May 21, 2019 1:57 pm

Tylerman29 wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 1:45 pm
Jesta' wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 1:27 pm Why don't they just put out an online release of the totally raw film scan. They barely do any work, and we get a much better copy of DBZ.
I guess because funi thinks the majority of the casuals hate grain. Which might sadly be true.
That's the thing that really gets me, because grain is inherent to the picture and if you remove it the way FUNi has with their overdone DNR process it leads to a blown out and smeared mess.

That's why you get horrible crap like these

And these...

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Tue May 21, 2019 2:30 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 1:57 pm
That's the thing that really gets me, because grain is inherent to the picture and if you remove it the way FUNi has with their overdone DNR process it leads to a blown out and smeared mess.
Guy in that history of Funimation DBZ releases also mentioned that "thanks" to that, we have these horrible oversaturated videos on Youtube, that make DBZ "as supposed to be"
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Tue May 21, 2019 3:26 pm

It's because if Funi finally put out an actually good release like that, they wouldn't be able to marginally improve things for the next release, 5 years from now. And then of course, that one can only be a marginal improvement too because they want the next release 5 years from then to have room to marginally improve too.

As long as there are marginal ways for Funi to improve their releases, they'll keep releasing the show. And every time they release the show, it sells well (because average joe just wants to buy DBZ, and cares nothing for such things as grain vs grainless, cropped vs full frame, etc.), and they make boatloads of money for putting in zero actual work.

That's the reality.
There's no malice here, just an apathy for the fans, and a cynical businessman's approach to the casual buyers.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Jesta'

Post by Jesta' » Tue May 21, 2019 5:04 pm

Yeah, but if it's online all they need to do is upload it. There's barely any effort involved, and it will please a lot of people.

TVfan721
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TVfan721 » Tue May 21, 2019 6:21 pm

I don't understand? The website says it's sold out. Why would they do that before selling all of them?

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Tue May 21, 2019 7:41 pm

I just wonder why people would think that rebelling against Funimation would change anything. As if they'll just keep releasing these. If it didn't happen for this 30th anniversary set, I doubt they'd release Z at all. I think even they realized that they dried up the well, which is why they did this entire pre-order campaign. Does anyone think that if they canceled this release, that they'd go spend the extra money to basically do the Level sets? I think it would only show them that the Z milking is over. But they have a lot, lot, lot, lot more things to milk and profit off of now.

It's sad that they chose their flagship series and probably the one property that kept them out of bankruptcy in the 90s and early 2000s, to treat so poorly, but that's reality. I didn't buy this thing because I'm a "fake fan" or been duped by them or anything like that; I bought this because I want to see this thing. With my own eyes, I want to pop it into my PS4 or computer and judge it for myself. No editing, no compression, no other distorting factors -- just me, my eyes, and this release. I want to see with my own eyes what they did. I want to see if they threw in anything cool or interesting features (after all, many releases had their own little quirks). I wanted to see their extra features. Let's not think, "Ha-ha, stupid fan got tricked by Funimation." I'd imagine a lot of people who bought these are more like me than the idiots that some others might claim them to be.

simtek34
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by simtek34 » Tue May 21, 2019 8:16 pm

TVfan721 wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 6:21 pm
I don't understand? The website says it's sold out. Why would they do that before selling all of them?
It was to be made-to-order, and also, orders closed on May 1st, I believe.

Newbie — 06/27/2016
Not-So-Newbie — ???
Beyond Newbie — ???
Beyond-The-Beyond-Newbie — 12/20/2016
Regular — 02/05/2017
OMG CRAZY REG — 06/14/2017

Xbox Live: PlushGerm24109
Everywhere else: simtek34

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Tue May 21, 2019 9:17 pm

sintzu wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 11:44 am
Scsigs wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 11:30 am Can you stop being this negative already? I've not seen you say anything but this for a while now.
I've said this release isn't the worst thing they've put out. From what I've seen it's a 5 or 6/10 release. I don't think there's anything more positive I can say about it.
Even when all of the fans have been stuck with shitty releases out of their control by default & FUNi refuses to do anything about it?
When not enough people bought the level sets they cancelled them right away and replaced them with what they thought people wanted. If enough people did the same with this release they might've went back to the drawing board and gave us something closer to what we wanted.
And that's the consumers' faults how? FUNimation not only has the power to release the show on home media, but an obligation to provide audiences with a good viewing experience. They've over-flooded the market with so many releases, the Level sets never stood a chance because they were too premature, which is why the later Season BRs sold really well. FUNi just cheaped out on the remastering. Hell, most people who took the survey they sent out wanted 4:3, but they deliberately ignored it. Now, they're so close to a perfect release, but they're not willing to spend the time or money to actually give us what we actually want. They know what we want, but they refuse to give us it. It's FUNi's fault. They owe us for supporting them, but continually refuse to pay back the full amount we invested in them. They're entirely to blame here, not the consumers. The consumers are just expected to buy stuff. FUNi's the one who supplies, but when you supply something no one has demand for anymore, that leads to poor sales. They already did 2 full DVD releases that satisfied many sections of the fanbases, so it's no wonder the Levels failed. Then, they've had 2 glorious opportunities now, one gift-wrapped to them, to restart those, but they've refused to in favor of crap, leading to the fans who just wanna own the show to buy those either being none the wiser, or not expecting better.
So, tell me, who's at fault now?
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue May 21, 2019 9:27 pm

Scsigs wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 9:17 pmThey're entirely to blame here, not the consumers.
I agree with most of what you said except for this part. Funimation are not the kind of company that values their IPs so it's up to the fans to speak with their $$$. If Funimation doesn't care enough about DB to put out a respectable release, fans should show them that they care and that they won't buy anything less than the best possible product. I know that is easier said than done but Funimation is unfortunately the kind of company that only acts based on $$$ signs and unless those $$$ start going down, things won't change.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Tue May 21, 2019 9:29 pm

Scsigs wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 9:17 pm
sintzu wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 11:44 am
Scsigs wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 11:30 am Can you stop being this negative already? I've not seen you say anything but this for a while now.
I've said this release isn't the worst thing they've put out. From what I've seen it's a 5 or 6/10 release. I don't think there's anything more positive I can say about it.
Even when all of the fans have been stuck with shitty releases out of their control by default & FUNi refuses to do anything about it?
When not enough people bought the level sets they cancelled them right away and replaced them with what they thought people wanted. If enough people did the same with this release they might've went back to the drawing board and gave us something closer to what we wanted.
And that's the consumers' faults how? FUNimation not only has the power to release the show on home media, but an obligation to provide audiences with a good viewing experience. They've over-flooded the market with so many releases, the Level sets never stood a chance because they were too premature, which is why the later Season BRs sold really well. FUNi just cheaped out on the remastering. Hell, most people who took the survey they sent out wanted 4:3, but they deliberately ignored it. Now, they're so close to a perfect release, but they're not willing to spend the time or money to actually give us what we actually want. They know what we want, but they refuse to give us it. It's FUNi's fault. They owe us for supporting them, but continually refuse to pay back the full amount we invested in them. They're entirely to blame here, not the consumers. The consumers are just expected to buy stuff. FUNi's the one who supplies, but when you supply something no one has demand for anymore, that leads to poor sales. They already did 2 full DVD releases that satisfied many sections of the fanbases, so it's no wonder the Levels failed. Then, they've had 2 glorious opportunities now, one gift-wrapped to them, to restart those, but they've refused to in favor of crap, leading to the fans who just wanna own the show to buy those either being none the wiser, or not expecting better.
So, tell me, who's at fault now?
That's what sucks about all of this, because FUNi is totally capable of better than what we've seen but they choose to just put out cheap crap like the Orange Bricks/Season BD's and only make an absolute bare minimum amount of effort. I made the decision to gradually buy the Dragon Boxes over time on eBay because i really haven't much faith in them getting their act together and putting out an actual acceptable 4:3, non DNR'd to oblivion release. That i went for the good out of print release speaks for itself about how much i care about the series, and I'm not going to settle for their current garbage sets that do not represent the series as it really should be.
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Tue May 21, 2019 9:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue May 21, 2019 9:38 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 9:29 pmI care about the series, and I'm not going to settle for their current garbage sets that do not represent the series as it really should be.
If more fans, hardcore and casual, had this mindset you would see things change.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Tue May 21, 2019 9:47 pm

sintzu wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 9:38 pm
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 9:29 pmI care about the series, and I'm not going to settle for their current garbage sets that do not represent the series as it really should be.
If more fans, hardcore and casual, had this mindset you would see things change.
Yeah, it's a shame that more fans on both sides of the aisle aren't wise or aware of FUNi's absolutely deplorable treatment of the series with the crap releases (with the exception of the Dragon Boxes and Level sets) over the last decade plus since the Orange Bricks came out and rightfully call them out on it.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Tue May 21, 2019 9:58 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 9:47 pm
Yeah, it's a shame more fans on both sides of the aisle aren't wise to FUNi's absolutely deplorable treatment of the series with the crap releases (with the exception of the Dragon Boxes and Level sets) over the last decade plus since the OB's came out and call them out for it.
I mean, a lot of the DB fandom wasn't wise to their tactics back then outside of a few. Like, the only place I heard about FUNi's shitty, deceptive, marketing tactics was MistareFusion's video review on the Dragon Boxes. Then I saw aficionados Chris' reviews on the first 3 BR season sets he got sent to him from FUNi themselves talk about the shit DVNR. Now, it's in a lot more places like the bigger DB YouTubers' videos, on social media, in review & comment sections, etc. Information is being spread more far, wide, & fast in these days than back then.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Tue May 21, 2019 10:02 pm

Scsigs wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 9:58 pm
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 9:47 pm

Yeah, it's a shame more fans on both sides of the aisle aren't wise to FUNi's absolutely deplorable treatment of the series with the crap releases (with the exception of the Dragon Boxes and Level sets) over the last decade plus since the OB's came out and call them out for it.
I mean, a lot of the DB fandom wasn't wise to their tactics back then outside of a few. Like, the only place I heard about FUNi's shitty, deceptive, marketing tactics was MistareFusion's video review on the Dragon Boxes. Then I saw aficionados Chris' reviews on the first 3 BR season sets he got sent to him from FUNi themselves talk about the shit DVNR. Now, it's in a lot more places like the bigger DB YouTubers' videos, on social media, in review & comment sections, etc. Information is being spread more far, wide, & fast in these days than back then.
It does seem that quite a few more fans have caught on to what FUNi has been pulling, especially lately with the huge kerfuffle over this 30th anniversary BD set. I think the sheer number of videos on YouTube about it gives the indication that they are starting to really grasp the song and dance they are playing.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed May 22, 2019 1:44 am

TVfan721 wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 6:21 pm
In this case I think sold out just means you can't buy them. The phrase is technically accurate, as the Black Bricks are being made to order: there won't be any more than the amount pre-ordered.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Wed May 22, 2019 9:09 pm

I was just wondering. What happens if something like the figure ends up not coming with this set? I can sort of see that happening