Funimation's 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Scsigs
I Live Here

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by Scsigs » Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:35 pm

sangofe wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:45 amI doubt we'll get any European dubs, mate. I'd love it but I doubt it.
We're only gonna get what FUNi has access to, produced themselves, & are willing to put on the discs. On top of space issues. If they license the masters, then the European distributors would put out their dubs on to home media in their countries. It'd probably also cost them a bit to license each dub.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:23 pm

Scsigs wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:35 pm
sangofe wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:45 amI doubt we'll get any European dubs, mate. I'd love it but I doubt it.
We're only gonna get what FUNi has access to, produced themselves, & are willing to put on the discs. On top of space issues. If they license the masters, then the European distributors would put out their dubs on to home media in their countries. It'd probably also cost them a bit to license each dub.
Yeah, and it's going to be the same two dub audio tracks and original Japanese audio we have had on every release for over a decade now. Quite a lot of those foreign and alternate English dubs like the ones produced in Canada (Westwood Z 108-276, Blue Water DB and GT) i would assume likely cost quite a great deal and frankly i don't ever see FUNimation finding it worth the expense of trying to do something on that level. Sure it would be cool and all, but you have to realistically consider just how much sheer space that would take even with the large capacity that Blu-ray discs have.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:13 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:23 pm
Yeah, and it's going to be the same two dub audio tracks and original Japanese audio we have had on every release for over a decade now. Quite a lot of those foreign and alternate English dubs like the ones produced in Canada (Westwood Z 108-276, Blue Water DB and GT) i would assume likely cost quite a great deal and frankly i don't ever see FUNimation finding it worth the expense of trying to do something on that level. Sure it would be cool and all, but you have to realistically consider just how much sheer space that would take even with the large capacity that Blu-ray discs have.
I mean, on top of that, the Westwood dub wasn't done uncut & wasn't finished, since they started dubbing at that episode. On top of that, the earlier episodes were the Saban-funded dub, so they couldn't include that without programming the first however many discs to skip scenes or just have those versions of the episodes on the discs for consistency's sake. I can't see them doing that unless it's part of the bonus materials & they just repackage the Rock the Dragon set's episodes & movies on bonus BR discs. I can't see them doing so unless they have different tiers for different versions of the sets to have them.
But, yeah, it'd cost too much, but who even knows if Ocean, or Westwood even have those audio masters anymore. Yeah, they can source from torrents that fans have uploaded to the internet, or get fans to email them the audio like the Japanese broadcast audio, but that was done because Toei couldn't be bothered to keep the audio masters. I can believe that they have the Kai audio still, since they can just save the episodes with their dub on a hard drive since they most likely recorded it digitally like FUNi do, but the old Z dub was probably still done on tape or something, so who knows.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:38 pm

Scsigs wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:13 pm
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 3:23 pm
I mean, on top of that, the Westwood dub wasn't done uncut & wasn't finished, since they started dubbing at that episode. On top of that, the earlier episodes were the Saban-funded dub, so they couldn't include that without programming the first however many discs to skip scenes or just have those versions of the episodes on the discs for consistency's sake. I can't see them doing that unless it's part of the bonus materials & they just repackage the Rock the Dragon set's episodes & movies on bonus BR discs. I can't see them doing so unless they have different tiers for different versions of the sets to have them.
But, yeah, it'd cost too much, but who even knows if Ocean, or Westwood even have those audio masters anymore. Yeah, they can source from torrents that fans have uploaded to the internet, or get fans to email them the audio like the Japanese broadcast audio, but that was done because Toei couldn't be bothered to keep the audio masters. I can believe that they have the Kai audio still, since they can just save the episodes with their dub on a hard drive since they most likely recorded it digitally like FUNi do, but the old Z dub was probably still done on tape or something, so who knows.
Exactly, so they couldn't feasibly do that type of thing with including the aforementioned alternate English dubs from Canada or European countries for this release even if they wanted to with all those factors in mind. I just don't realistically see FUNimation expending the kind of money or sheer effort it would take for a project like that given all the caveats and such you mention.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

HakkaiBills93
Banned

Post by HakkaiBills93 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:53 am

sangofe wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2019 4:45 am
JohnnyCashKami wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:58 pm This looks to be a special collaboration between TOEI Animation and FUNimation so it'd be interesting if TOEI would include as many dubs as possible, at least the Western ones because by the looks of it this will be the definitive DBZ HD Blu-ray release to go for. Will it happen? Probably not.

Although, it's worth noting that the Japanese Dragon Box Z (can't remember if it was Box 1 or 2) that featured a video in the extras section, with multiple dubs so that was cool of them to include.

Whether it's Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, Dragon Ball GT, Dragon Ball Kai, Dragon Ball Kai (2014), Dragon Ball Super or etc, there's always something that the fans aren't pleased with so they'll go out of their way, anyway.
I doubt we'll get any European dubs, mate. I'd love it but I doubt it.
You can't even show your interest as it's restricted to USA ...i don't think that with this kind of region locking anyone can expect foreign language like spanish, french etc

HakkaiBills93
Banned

Post by HakkaiBills93 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:01 pm

Episodes 99 - 113 of the International version were cut down to episodes 99 - 106 for the Japanese version.

Episodes 107 - 156 (Japanese Cut) and Episodes 114 - 163 (International Cut), have the exact same content, but there are some soundtrack alterations, the biggest of which is the inclusion of the insert song "Let it Burn".

No you are wrong, let it burn was not into the original final chapter international versions, let it burn and cha la head cha la in the last ep is used in Funimation Final chapter but was not used before .
Japanese Episode 157 and International Episode 164 are mostly the same, but Japanese Episode 157 has 30 seconds of extra footage showing Goku making a wish to remove the memory of Buu from earth (This scene is take from International Episode 165, which was completely cut from the Japanese Version).
Also Fake, those 30 seconds are not extra footage as episode lenght is the same, it's an edit, all episode have been edit by removing few frames, allowing to include this 30 seconds footage
Episodes 158 - 159 (Japanese Cut) and Episodes 166 - 167 (International Cut), have the exact same content, but there are some soundtrack alterations, and a 30 second "next episode preview" for Super at the end of episode 159.

HakkaiBills93
Banned

Post by HakkaiBills93 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:02 pm

HakkaiBills93 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:01 pm

Episodes 99 - 113 of the International version were cut down to episodes 99 - 106 for the Japanese version.

Episodes 107 - 156 (Japanese Cut) and Episodes 114 - 163 (International Cut), have the exact same content, but there are some soundtrack alterations, the biggest of which is the inclusion of the insert song "Let it Burn".

No you are wrong, let it burn was not into the original final chapter international versions, German, Korean, Chinese, Spanish and French one don't have those two insert songs.
let it burn and cha la head cha la in the last ep have been used since Funimation release and maybe in others country but it's not the original version .
Japanese Episode 157 and International Episode 164 are mostly the same, but Japanese Episode 157 has 30 seconds of extra footage showing Goku making a wish to remove the memory of Buu from earth (This scene is take from International Episode 165, which was completely cut from the Japanese Version).
Also Fake, those 30 seconds are not extra footage as episode lenght is the same, it's an edit, all episode have been edit by removing few frames, allowing to include this 30 seconds footage
Episodes 158 - 159 (Japanese Cut) and Episodes 166 - 167 (International Cut), have the exact same content, but there are some soundtrack alterations, and a 30 second "next episode preview" for Super at the end of episode 159.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:23 pm

HakkaiBills93 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:53 amYou can't even show your interest as it's restricted to USA ...i don't think that with this kind of region locking anyone can expect foreign language like spanish, french etc
I can see a Mexican dub if the release is limited to the US (GOD I hope it isn't limited to the US!)

Also, why did you triple-post and quote yourself?

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:27 pm

KBABZ wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:23 pmI can see a Mexican dub if the release is limited to the US (GOD I hope it isn't limited to the US!)
Well, Mexico is located in the North America and FUNimation has used before the Mexican-Spanish dubs before on Z series DVDs and one movie DVD so I suppose there's that possibility. Realistically? FUNimation English dub and Japanese audio (either muffled or broadcast).

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:47 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:27 pm
KBABZ wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:23 pmI can see a Mexican dub if the release is limited to the US (GOD I hope it isn't limited to the US!)
Well, Mexico is located in the North America and FUNimation has used before the Mexican-Spanish dubs before on Z series DVDs and one movie DVD so I suppose there's that possibility. Realistically? FUNimation English dub and Japanese audio (either muffled or broadcast).
That got me thinking. Were the Funimation Dragon Boxes US only or did they offer it globally on some level?

Deli295

Post by Deli295 » Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:01 pm

Not 100% sure but they were probably released in Canada too

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:14 pm

Deli295 wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:01 pm Not 100% sure but they were probably released in Canada too
I mean, that's still North America, so from my kiwi perspective that's not international (much as I'm sure it pleased Canadians!).

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Tue Mar 12, 2019 1:22 pm

KBABZ wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:47 pm
That got me thinking. Were the Funimation Dragon Boxes US only or did they offer it globally on some level?
Well, aside from that the US Dragon Boxes were compatible with R1 and R4, that's about it, I think. The US Dragon Boxes Z were really bare-bones with extras and to be honest, I only remember the Dragon Ball GT - FEP.

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:40 pm

KBABZ wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:47 pm
They were an US release but you could import them via Amazon. That said, you do need a region-free DVD player to play them. That was the only English Dragon Box release.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:02 pm

Jord wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:40 pmThey were an US release but you could import them via Amazon. That said, you do need a region-free DVD player to play them. That was the only English Dragon Box release.
Not necessarily those who live in Australia, Canada, Mexico, America and New Zealand didn't have to buy an extra DVD Player or use a PC DVD Player because it was playable on R1 and R4 DVD Players. It was R2 (European Countries, Japan) that wasn't included and R3 (Hong Kong), R5 (Russia).

Wikipedia:
1 North America + Central america
2 Europe + Egypt + West Asia + Japan + South Africa + Greenland + French Guiana
3 Southeast Asia + South Korea + Taiwan + Hong Kong + Macau
4 South America + Oceania
5 Africa (without Egypt and South Africa) + Russia + Central Asia + South Asia + Mongolia + North Korea
6 Mainland China
7 MPAA-related DVDs and "media copies" of pre-releases in Asia
8 International venues such as aircraft, cruise ships and spacecraft.
ALL These region discs have all 1-8 flags set, allowing the disc to be played in any location, on any player.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD_region_code

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:33 pm

Sorry if this has already been posted.

FUNimation have adjusted their minimum orders for print from 2500, up to 3000.

If these were to sell at $500 each, they stand to make $1.5M.
We're talking big money here, and that's only to get to print.

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:52 pm

The fuck? Why? They still haven't even told us what they're like yet.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:57 pm

Shaddy wrote: Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:52 pm The fuck? Why? They still haven't even told us what they're like yet.
We're just in the third month of 2019 yet. Patience.

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Tue Mar 12, 2019 6:59 pm

If patience was a factor here they should have waited to announce the things until they knew they were doing it right.

rs_chaosmaster
Regular

Post by rs_chaosmaster » Tue Mar 12, 2019 7:01 pm

Do you think the number being raised to 3,000 puts this release more at risk or is this a small formality?