Funimation's 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Matches Malone
Banned

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by Matches Malone » Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:08 am

Robo4900 wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:56 amI doubt Funimation will ever redub DB+Z+GT, but who knows, stranger things have happened. We can hope, even if it is in vain. :)
The only way I can see this happening is if Toei does their own, new high definition remaster for the 3 shows. Even then I don't know if they'll re-dub it, as I read they considered cutting up their old Z dub for Kai instead of giving it a new one like in Japan. I don't know how far that idea got, but just the fact that it was considered while the Japanese cast was doing new voice work shows how low Funimation can go.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:27 am

Matches Malone wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:08 am
Robo4900 wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:56 amI doubt Funimation will ever redub DB+Z+GT, but who knows, stranger things have happened. We can hope, even if it is in vain. :)
The only way I can see this happening is if Toei does their own, new high definition remaster for the 3 shows. Even then I don't know if they'll re-dub it, as I read they considered cutting up their old Z dub for Kai instead of giving it a new one like in Japan. I don't know how far that idea got, but just the fact that it was considered while the Japanese cast was doing new voice work shows how low Funimation can go.
No, I don't think a new restoration of the show would have any bearing on a new dub.

Either Funimation takes the initiative to right the wrongs of their old dubs, or they don't. A new restoration of the video from Toei wouldn't change any minds in regards to that. In fact, chances are, if Toei did new HD restoriations, Funimation wouldn't even bother importing it... We haven't seen any sign of the new movie restorations making it to home video in America, because Funimation seem to be quite happy with their own in-house HD versions, and even when the Dragon Boxes existed, Funimation elected to produce their own film transfer for their DVDs in 2007. No reason to believe a new Toei HD restoration of the series would be any different from these cases.

Granted, a new Toei restoration would probably cover DB and GT too, but I doubt Funimation would care enough to do anything with those. They just don't care about the non-Z material from the original anime run.

As I say, the only way we'd get a new dub would be if there's a major regime change at Funi, with a new philosophy behind the scenes.
Only other way would be if Funimation somehow lost the license, but that's never going to happen, and anyone who thinks it will is just kidding themselves. (Anyone remember all that fake outrage about the Funimation dubbing bloopers? :lol:)
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Matches Malone
Banned

Post by Matches Malone » Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:53 am

Robo4900 wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:27 amOnly other way would be if Funimation somehow lost the license, but that's never going to happen, and anyone who thinks it will is just kidding themselves.
Don't Funimation have to renew their license every decade or so ? Couldn't someone out bid them for it like Viz ? I know it won't happen due to Funimation's size, but I'm just wondering if the right holders in Japan would consider such a move with DB or any other franchise if another company offered them something better.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:58 am

Matches Malone wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:53 am
Robo4900 wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:27 amOnly other way would be if Funimation somehow lost the license, but that's never going to happen, and anyone who thinks it will is just kidding themselves.
Don't Funimation have to renew their license every decade or so ? Couldn't someone out bid them for it like Viz ? I know it won't happen due to Funimation's size, but I'm just wondering if the right holders in Japan would consider such a move with DB or any other franchise if another company offered them something better.
Even if it is possible, I don't think Toei have any interest in having the Dragon Ball license move to someone else right now, and I doubt their minds will change on that anytime soon, if ever.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:08 am

Robo4900 wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:56 am
KBABZ wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:29 am
ArmenianPepsi wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:42 am I will stand by the Kai dub honestly. I recently finished Kai (1-98), and in my view the dub is night and day, even compared to the "Remastered" dub from the Orange Bricks. While it isnt perfect, it's not like a 1-1 reading of the JP scripts, and from time to time the cheese of the old dub can creep in a bit. I can appreciate the effort they did put to do the show justice, now I wonder what would the english world of Dragon Ball look like if Funi gave Z the more accurate kai-style dub from the beggining. :think:
This is honestly something I want and yet am deathly afraid of. Much as Clinkenbeard is a fantastic Kid Gohan, whenever she plays Kid Goku there's nothing to distinguish it or make it unique; It's just Kid Gohan's voice. This makes it VERY hard for me to get into her performance as that character. If an OG-DB Kai were to really happen, I'd hope Clinkenbeard would be given the ability to really craft that role into something unique from Kid Gohan, considering how major that part is.
I'll second a desire for Funi to go back and do a proper DB+Z+GT dub in the style of their modern/Kai-era dubbing. I would LOVE to have a proper, faithful English dub of the original run to watch. And it wouldn't have to replace the old dub, of course... The DVDs could contain both, easily. Have the modern dub as the default, but have the original dub, in its original non-remastered form, available as a second track. I don't think this will happen unless pretty much the entire current Funimation regime die out and get replaced with people with a very different philosophy, but if by some miracle this happened, it would truly be a great day for the English-speaking Dragon Ball fandom. :)
It would be like when Funimation took One Piece from 4Kids, except with the old dub still sticking around for those who still want to enjoy the show they grew up on back in the day.

As for Clinkenbeard as Goku... To be honest, I think the main reason she's never stood out in that role is she's simply done it in a rush for flashbacks, or for a somewhat haphazardly-thrown-together redub of the first movie (that movie's redub was a bit of a mess. They didn't reference the Japanese scripts properly, and basically just reused the 1995 script, but they removed lines where the Japanese track doesn't have dialogue, except they didn't rewrite the rest of the dialogue to properly account for this, so the dialogue doesn't make a lot of sense. It's clearly a rush job. Which is a real shame; they had a lot of good talent behind it).
If given 153 episodes of Dragon Ball to dub, I think Clinkenbeard would have a proper opportunity to make the role unique, and make it her own.

I doubt Funimation will ever redub DB+Z+GT, but who knows, stranger things have happened. We can hope, even if it is in vain. :)
Unfortunately, i don't realistically see them doing this in the near future. Maybe it could happen at some point where they go back and give the original three series faithful re dubs because it's clear that especially in the case of DB's and GT's dubs have poorly aged and are in the most need as well as the Bardock and Trunks specials and Sleeping Princess in Devil's Castle (seriously, that dub was done back in 1998 and reflects their early days as badly as anything.) but at the same time leave the original dubs as artifacts of the olden days when they didn't have nearly as much presence in the anime dub industry as they do now. At least with Z for now i have a decent alternative in Kai despite its flaws, so i'm not in heavy need of a full redub of the original at this point but it would be great down the line because of how poor the old dub is especially the Freeza and Androids arcs when the in house cast first took over the voices.

Clinkenbeard's kid Goku was ok for the bits she's done so far, though that said while i think she did a great job as young Gohan in Kai i just wasn't feeling her performance especially in DB movie 1 because she effectively used the latter voice with almost no variation. Maybe in a future more accurate redub of the original series she could potentially have more of a chance to develop it into something that sounds distinct from Gohan.
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

10gigtriforce
Beyond Newbie

Post by 10gigtriforce » Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:10 am

Matches Malone wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:53 am
they probably have some life long deal worked out with toei for dragon ball. even if they didnt after what vis did to sailor moon's new dub i trust them less than funimation at this point. that thing was worse than a stereotypical 90s dub. at least funi has marginally improved since then.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 12:35 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:08 am Unfortunately, i don't realistically see them doing this in the near future.
Agreed.
To be honest, it may never happen.

I think the only way it happens, really, is in a few decades, when the regime at Funi changes, and when some more of the cast has retired, it's possible someone at Funi will pitch the idea of doing a more accurate redub of the original as a novel way of selling a new home video set, or perhaps more likely, they'd do it for a streaming service.

Shuffle the cast around a bit in light of people aging/retiring over the decades (which is bound to happen eventually, in like 50 years, when Sean Schemmel is 101), get new blood in, and give them a grounding in the show's history by doing a new, faithful dub of the original DB+Z+GT run. Keep the original dubs around for the nostalgic, but consider the new dub "The way it's meant to be seen" or something.

But this is far-flung future possibilities. And to be honest, even if there's a new regime in 50 years, probably the new regime will be just like the old regime; these things tend not to change much. And probably the attitude with any cast changes would be that they should keep consistency with the old stuff, so for instance, if Sean Schemmel retired (or, more likely, died; the way he talks in interviews, he hates when roles get recast, so as long as his throat can still produce sound, he'll get in the studio and play Goku), their new Goku would be as close a soundalike as they can find. Even if the Japanese cast ends up completely changing over when some of the currently-quite-old mainstays die off, I doubt Funi would want to go that route.
And in general, as it stands, I don't think anyone at Funi is interested in changing their past work in any major way, especially not in any way that would cost a lot of money, like a new dub with new scripts would.

Still, it's a nice fantasy. And who knows, if people talk about it a bit now, maybe in 50 years, it gets talked about enough for Funi to see it as a worthwhile investment.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:04 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:56 am As for Clinkenbeard as Goku... To be honest, I think the main reason she's never stood out in that role is she's simply done it in a rush for flashbacks, or for a somewhat haphazardly-thrown-together redub of the first movie (that movie's redub was a bit of a mess. They didn't reference the Japanese scripts properly, and basically just reused the 1995 script, but they removed lines where the Japanese track doesn't have dialogue, except they didn't rewrite the rest of the dialogue to properly account for this, so the dialogue doesn't make a lot of sense. It's clearly a rush job. Which is a real shame; they had a lot of good talent behind it).
If given 153 episodes of Dragon Ball to dub, I think Clinkenbeard would have a proper opportunity to make the role unique, and make it her own.
I'd say I hope so too, but I had previously hoped that she would do this for playing the character in Dragon Ball FighterZ, where she had a great amount of lines to work with and several key and fun scenes with other characters... and she didn't change a thing. That was a perfect testbed to experiment and find a unique voice, and while I know voice acting is never easy, in regards to capturing the spirit of Goku she really phoned it in once again.

As for the possibility of a redub, the only reason why we have the Kai redub is because Kai was considered a brand new product, and the way you cut scenes together so heavily practically demands that you re-record the dialogue. Funi took that chance to use the experience they had playing those characters and right a few wrongs of the past along the way. I can only see OG-DB being redubbed in that context.

Kinda impossible to Kai-ify GT in a similar fashion and actually sell it, so that has an even lower chance despite being spiritually closer to Z.

ArmenianPepsi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ArmenianPepsi » Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:01 pm

KBABZ wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:04 pm
Robo4900 wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:56 am As for Clinkenbeard as Goku... To be honest, I think the main reason she's never stood out in that role is she's simply done it in a rush for flashbacks, or for a somewhat haphazardly-thrown-together redub of the first movie (that movie's redub was a bit of a mess. They didn't reference the Japanese scripts properly, and basically just reused the 1995 script, but they removed lines where the Japanese track doesn't have dialogue, except they didn't rewrite the rest of the dialogue to properly account for this, so the dialogue doesn't make a lot of sense. It's clearly a rush job. Which is a real shame; they had a lot of good talent behind it).
I'd say I hope so too, but I had previously hoped that she would do this for playing the character in Dragon Ball FighterZ, where she had a great amount of lines to work with and several key and fun scenes with other characters... and she didn't change a thing. That was a perfect testbed to experiment and find a unique voice, and while I know voice acting is never easy, in regards to capturing the spirit of Goku she really phoned it in once again.

As for the possibility of a redub, the only reason why we have the Kai redub is because Kai was considered a brand new product, and the way you cut scenes together so heavily practically demands that you re-record the dialogue. Funi took that chance to use the experience they had playing those characters and right a few wrongs of the past along the way. I can only see OG-DB being redubbed in that context.

Kinda impossible to Kai-ify GT in a similar fashion and actually sell it, so that has an even lower chance despite being spiritually closer to Z.
It appears so. But I wonder, how would one even do the "Kai" treatment to OG DB or GT? Doesn't DB already have far less filler content to trim in the anime compared to DBZ? As for GT, with only 64 episodes it would a real stretch to trim any fat at all on an already short series.

Also may I ask a noob question? I know that for DB movies, english dubs are a total mess. But what about the original DBZ movies? (1-13), are the dubs for them any good or are they as mediocre and cheesy as the old Z dub?
First time Dragon Ball fan as of March 2020. Still learning the ropes. Nothing much else to say,

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:08 pm

ArmenianPepsi wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:01 pm
KBABZ wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 4:04 pm

It appears so. But I wonder, how would one even do the "Kai" treatment to OG DB or GT? Doesn't DB already have far less filler content to trim in the anime compared to DBZ? As for GT, with only 64 episodes it would a real stretch to trim any fat at all on an already short series.

Also may I ask a noob question? I know that for DB movies, english dubs are a total mess. But what about the original DBZ movies? (1-13), are the dubs for them any good or are they as mediocre and cheesy as the old Z dub?
Well, in terms of Z movies 1-3 the original dubs produced by Pioneer with the Ocean cast from 1997/1998 are great and definitely the best versions of those three over the later redubs while the in house FUNi ones for 4 onwards range from meh to pretty good overall.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:35 pm

ArmenianPepsi wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:01 pm It appears so. But I wonder, how would one even do the "Kai" treatment to OG DB or GT? Doesn't DB already have far less filler content to trim in the anime compared to DBZ? As for GT, with only 64 episodes it would a real stretch to trim any fat at all on an already short series.

OG-DB does indeed have less filler than Z, but that doesn't mean it doesn't have any at all. The Pilaf arc famously has the titular villain appear in almost every episode before his actual appearance from the manga, and there's the Colonel Silver filler saga that expanded his runtime, then you have the actual dedicated filler arcs with the Worldly Training, Heavenly Training and Wedding Dress arcs.

More than that though is that, starting with the 22nds TB, the episodes become noticeably padded. Every fight is preceded with half an episode's worth of pre-match filler, and that permeates practically everything from that point on. Things just take a lot longer to happen by that point if your only interest is what's in the manga.

How do I know this? I'm the guy doing Dragon Ball Kai: The First Chapters, which is ALL ABOUT Kai-ifying the original anime to remove filler as seamlessly as possible, among other quality-of-live improvements! As part of that, I have also pondered on how to do the same to GT, which would generally be removing any mucking about not really advancing the plot, which is something that's quite obvious at the tail end of the Black Star Dragon Ball arc as they can't decide on a solid villain.

There's also IAmTheMilkMan's Dragon Ball Recut, which is basically this before I started doing it. He managed to reduce the episode count from 153 to about 80-something (aka he halved the episode count, just like the real Kai), albeit with some rather lengthy combined episodes. I personally disagree with that approach, but his project is complete whereas mine... is not, haha.

ArmenianPepsi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ArmenianPepsi » Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:55 pm

KBABZ wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:35 pm
ArmenianPepsi wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:01 pm It appears so. But I wonder, how would one even do the "Kai" treatment to OG DB or GT? Doesn't DB already have far less filler content to trim in the anime compared to DBZ? As for GT, with only 64 episodes it would a real stretch to trim any fat at all on an already short series.

How do I know this? I'm the guy doing Dragon Ball Kai: The First Chapters, which is ALL ABOUT Kai-ifying the original anime to remove filler as seamlessly as possible, among other quality-of-live improvements! As part of that, I have also pondered on how to do the same to GT, which would generally be removing any mucking about not really advancing the plot, which is something that's quite obvious at the tail end of the Black Star Dragon Ball arc as they can't decide on a solid villain.

There's also IAmTheMilkMan's Dragon Ball Recut, which is basically this before I started doing it. He managed to reduce the episode count from 153 to about 80-something (aka he halved the episode count, just like the real Kai), albeit with some rather lengthy combined episodes. I personally disagree with that approach, but his project is complete whereas mine... is not, haha.
I am very interested. Is there somewhere where I can read up more about these projects? This would make for some nice late night reading. :o
First time Dragon Ball fan as of March 2020. Still learning the ropes. Nothing much else to say,

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:00 am

ArmenianPepsi wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:55 pm I am very interested. Is there somewhere where I can read up more about these projects? This would make for some nice late night reading. :o
Here's a link to the change log, which I use to log all of the changes I made and explain what the project is all about. You can also view a playlist of some of the edits I made here.

One thing to keep in mind is at, at this current point in time, I'm in the middle of a new pass. My original one done in around 2015 was with the Blue Bricks, which was the only copy I had at the time (hence the name Blue Brick Pass). Currently the project is barely into its second iteration, the Dragon Box Pass, which uses the lessons and tricks learnt from the first pass, as well as examples from Recut, and redoes the edit with footage from the Dragon Box.

The main difference between Dragon Ball Recut and The First Chapters (or T1C) is that Recut is focused primarily on the Japanese version and only adjusts the actual episode content. T1C meanwhile redoes the text in the title cards and EDs to match Kai, and only includes the 2001 Funi dub.

ArmenianPepsi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ArmenianPepsi » Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:04 pm

KBABZ wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:00 am
ArmenianPepsi wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:55 pm I am very interested. Is there somewhere where I can read up more about these projects? This would make for some nice late night reading. :o
Here's a link to the change log, which I use to log all of the changes I made and explain what the project is all about. You can also view a playlist of some of the edits I made here.

One thing to keep in mind is at, at this current point in time, I'm in the middle of a new pass. My original one done in around 2015 was with the Blue Bricks, which was the only copy I had at the time (hence the name Blue Brick Pass). Currently the project is barely into its second iteration, the Dragon Box Pass, which uses the lessons and tricks learnt from the first pass, as well as examples from Recut, and redoes the edit with footage from the Dragon Box.

The main difference between Dragon Ball Recut and The First Chapters (or T1C) is that Recut is focused primarily on the Japanese version and only adjusts the actual episode content. T1C meanwhile redoes the text in the title cards and EDs to match Kai, and only includes the 2001 Funi dub.
This is awesome. Never thought anyone would be willing to take on such an undertaking. Is there any plans to have any sort of public release in the future? Or are you keeping this a more personal project?

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:15 pm

ArmenianPepsi wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:04 pm This is awesome. Never thought anyone would be willing to take on such an undertaking. Is there any plans to have any sort of public release in the future? Or are you keeping this a more personal project?
I do intend to distribute it... somehow, but I have no idea how to accomplish this. For now it's very much a personal project that appeals to my personal tastes, expectations, and ability, which is why I'm not colour-correcting it, offering the Japanese audio or making subtitles for it. In fact Japanese audio is more than just being pragmatic: Funimation's 5.1 mix of the show actually allows for edits like editing dialogue or replacing music, because the vocals are only on the center channel while the music is only on the corner channels (SFX are on both). This means that many edits would be flat-out impossible with the Japanese audio.

I've also wanted to do a GT Kai, which is trimming some of the fat off of GT so it too is more palatable (and fixing mistakes from the dub), and the much, MUCH bigger prospect of Kikuchi Kai, which is Kai but with Kikuchi's score replicated from Z. To explain: when Toei replaced Yamatoto's plagarized Kai score with Kikuchi's music from Z, they didn't take any effort to replicate the original music placement. Instead they did a 1:1 replacement, picking the Kikuchi tracks that sounded the most similar to Yamamoto's, and replaced it that way (whilst avoiding anything with the HEAD CHA LA theme in it).

But I won't even consider doing those until I finish The First Chapters, which is still a long way off.

ArmenianPepsi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ArmenianPepsi » Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:39 pm

KBABZ wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:15 pm
ArmenianPepsi wrote: Thu Jun 18, 2020 4:04 pm This is awesome. Never thought anyone would be willing to take on such an undertaking. Is there any plans to have any sort of public release in the future? Or are you keeping this a more personal project?
I do intend to distribute it... somehow, but I have no idea how to accomplish this. For now it's very much a personal project that appeals to my personal tastes, expectations, and ability, which is why I'm not colour-correcting it, offering the Japanese audio or making subtitles for it. In fact Japanese audio is more than just being pragmatic: Funimation's 5.1 mix of the show actually allows for edits like editing dialogue or replacing music, because the vocals are only on the center channel while the music is only on the corner channels (SFX are on both). This means that many edits would be flat-out impossible with the Japanese audio.

I've also wanted to do a GT Kai, which is trimming some of the fat off of GT so it too is more palatable (and fixing mistakes from the dub), and the much, MUCH bigger prospect of Kikuchi Kai, which is Kai but with Kikuchi's score replicated from Z. To explain: when Toei replaced Yamatoto's plagarized Kai score with Kikuchi's music from Z, they didn't take any effort to replicate the original music placement. Instead they did a 1:1 replacement, picking the Kikuchi tracks that sounded the most similar to Yamamoto's, and replaced it that way (whilst avoiding anything with the HEAD CHA LA theme in it).

But I won't even consider doing those until I finish The First Chapters, which is still a long way off.
Well my hat goes off to you. For a one man project this is insanely ambitious. Hope to see this come to fruition. :D

ArmenianPepsi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ArmenianPepsi » Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:30 pm

Sorry for committing necromancy again on this thread, but do you guys think Funi will ever take this 30th set, and strip it down into a future consumer level re-release to maybe retire/replace the 2014 season sets?

All they have to do is get rid of the fancy art book, take the Goku figurine out, and just get some cheaper packaging for the actual discs, something akin to the Super blu rays. Then presto, Funi has another way to milk a little more cash from another release of DBZ. I wouldn't see much reason why they wouldn't do it.

Even if the actual video presentation won't change all to much from the 2014 sets (Colors, grain, saturation, etc...) . At the very least it could re-establish the 4:3 aspect ratio back into the minds of general consumers, as the way the series was supposed to be seen. If that means anything that is, maybe I'm just spouting word soup :lol: :lol:

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:49 pm

ArmenianPepsi wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 9:30 pm Sorry for committing necromancy again on this thread, but do you guys think Funi will ever take this 30th set, and strip it down into a future consumer level re-release to maybe retire/replace the 2014 season sets?

All they have to do is get rid of the fancy art book, take the Goku figurine out, and just get some cheaper packaging for the actual discs, something akin to the Super blu rays. Then presto, Funi has another way to milk a little more cash from another release of DBZ. I wouldn't see much reason why they wouldn't do it.

Even if the actual video presentation won't change all to much from the 2014 sets (Colors, grain, saturation, etc...) . At the very least it could re-establish the 4:3 aspect ratio back into the minds of general consumers, as the way the series was supposed to be seen. If that means anything that is, maybe I'm just spouting word soup :lol: :lol:
Who knows, anything is possible even though the 30th set's presentation itself is indeed quite lacking so maybe that'll happen down the line at some point. I mean, at least they did it in the proper 4:3 aspect ratio this time even with all the issues which were explained and complained about not just on this here thread but numerous YouTube videos. The people who want the show to fit on their fancy widescreen televisions have already been served and catered to twice over between the Orange Bricks and Season BD's so those fans who want the series as intended to be seen just shouldn't be left hanging without a convenient affordable way to do so, and as a result thus having to resort to out of print and expensive releases like the singles or the Dragon Boxes like me. I got them (albeit gradually over time) because i don't have too much confidence in FUNi putting out a good home release that isn't DNR'ed to oblivion or cropped to fake widescreen.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:55 am

Honestly I hope they do and have it phase out the Blu Brick set. While the DNR and fake grain are of course incredibly awful practices, using the Black Bricks as the new HD standard means that at the VERY least you'd be able to buy an affordable version of all the classic shows in their intended aspect ratio, 4:3.

It wouldn't be the first time this happened either! The Dragon Boxes all sold their discs individually without any of the fanfare for more affordable pricing. That was literally it however, you got none of the fancy packaging or Dragon Books or sets or anything like that.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:10 am

KBABZ wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:55 am Honestly I hope they do and have it phase out the Blu Brick set. While the DNR and fake grain are of course incredibly awful practices, using the Black Bricks as the new HD standard means that at the VERY least you'd be able to buy an affordable version of all the classic shows in their intended aspect ratio, 4:3.

It wouldn't be the first time this happened either! The Dragon Boxes all sold their discs individually without any of the fanfare for more affordable pricing. That was literally it however, you got none of the fancy packaging or Dragon Books or sets or anything like that.
You forget that the Dragon Box discs only got repackaged in Japan. FUNi never replaced the Orange Bricks with those in regular cases at lower prices in the US. The only time they seem to do that is with a format upgrade. I have a feeling the only time they'd replace the season BRs is if they, Toei, or any of the other companies that license DBZ outside of Japan foot the bill for a proper remaster of DB, Z, & GT rather than just the movies. Then they can tout them as , "The TRUE remasters from Japan!" or some stupid shit like that & have new BRs for the movies too, hopefully with the uncensored streaming masters than the disc masters.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs