Funimation's 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

bigray
Beyond Newbie

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by bigray » Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:25 am

Kuwabara wrote:
PremiumSalt wrote:As much as I understand production costs and all that, I have to think FUNimation isn't stupid enough to think people would pay more than $500 for this, right?

...right?
There are entire Facebook groups filled with people that pay more than that just for unofficial resin statues, and this comes with, gasp, a figure! I'm excited to see what the set's like, but based on that criteria alone I do have my concerns about Funimation possibly trying to gouge fans.
Ummm, yeah, please don't compare the crappy PVC figure that's gonna come with this collector's edition to $500+ resins that we buy. We pay that much for a resin because of the size, level of detail that goes into it, and a limited run.

The quality of the figure will probably be the equivalent of a banpresto RoS if we are lucky. Which cost around $30aud lol

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:40 am

bigray wrote:
Kuwabara wrote:
PremiumSalt wrote:As much as I understand production costs and all that, I have to think FUNimation isn't stupid enough to think people would pay more than $500 for this, right?

...right?
There are entire Facebook groups filled with people that pay more than that just for unofficial resin statues, and this comes with, gasp, a figure! I'm excited to see what the set's like, but based on that criteria alone I do have my concerns about Funimation possibly trying to gouge fans.
Ummm, yeah, please don't compare the crappy PVC figure that's gonna come with this collector's edition to $500+ resins that we buy. We pay that much for a resin because of the size, level of detail that goes into it, and a limited run.

The quality of the figure will probably be the equivalent of a banpresto RoS if we are lucky. Which cost around $30aud lol
Well the actual cost will probably be the standard 800yen for prize figures. Banpresto & Bandai re use digital assets all the time so it's deffo not gonna be any sweat of their back for this.

FUNi/Toei will milk the figure and make fans think it's worth a lot and will probably as a result add a hefty surcharge to the set.

Kuwabara
Regular

Post by Kuwabara » Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:03 am

bigray wrote:Ummm, yeah, please don't compare the crappy PVC figure that's gonna come with this collector's edition to $500+ resins that we buy. We pay that much for a resin because of the size, level of detail that goes into it, and a limited run.

I wasn't badmouthing the resins, I think they look awesome too. All I was saying was that people are willing to pay $500+ for Dragon Ball stuff. I hope you're wrong and the exclusive figure looks cool, especially since we don't even know what it looks like yet.
This is the episode of when Gokuh enrages himself after Freezer talk shit about Kuririn

IAmTheMilkMan
Beyond Newbie

Post by IAmTheMilkMan » Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:07 am

As long as we're placing bets, I'm going to have to side with Spoofer on this one. It bums me out immensely and I really hope I'm wrong, but so far, based on the announcement, it seems more likely that this will be a repackaging of the existing blu-ray sets.

While true that the Bardock special has been remastered, and we know this, it could have been because the two television specials are often lumped in with the films and received a remaster along with them, or (less likely) that it was specifically for the North American theatrical events. Furthermore, didn't I hear somewhere that Selecta Vision had previously requested HD masters of DBZ from Toei who insisted on them using the Funimation abomination of an HD master, which they rightly declined to do? If that's true, then what made Toei change their minds and lead them to remastering it themselves?

I can't really explain the 4 and 3 star balls in the announcement and tweets. I'd love for it to be hinting at the aspect ratio, but I'm just not under the impression that Funimation or Toei are clever enough to pull off something like that. And, if Funimation has proven anything, it's that they don't give a rat's ass about 4:3, let alone think it would be enough of a selling point to specifically hint at it via teaser photo to build up hype.

I had my hopes up for a proper 4:3 HD remaster a la the Bardock special that we've seen, because that looks amazing, but this announcement has significantly tempered my expectations.
aka TheMilkmanConspiracy on IFDB
aka WhereIsTheMilkman elsewhere

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:10 am

Kuwabara wrote:
bigray wrote:Ummm, yeah, please don't compare the crappy PVC figure that's gonna come with this collector's edition to $500+ resins that we buy. We pay that much for a resin because of the size, level of detail that goes into it, and a limited run.
I wasn't badmouthing the resins, I think they look awesome too. All I was saying was that people are willing to pay $500+ for Dragon Ball stuff. I hope you're wrong and the exclusive figure looks cool, especially since we don't even know what it looks like yet.
Funi did have a teaser image:
Assuming that is the statue (and with the rough edges of the silhouette, I'm assuming it is and that it's sourced from the statue on a white background), it looks to be a battle-damaged base form Goku in his Cell/Buu-style gi with the thick sash, whilst holding a Dragon Ball (probably the Four Star Ball). Bit of a shame the pose is so bland, though.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Sun Mar 03, 2019 9:58 am

IAmTheMilkMan wrote:As long as we're placing bets, I'm going to have to side with Spoofer on this one. It bums me out immensely and I really hope I'm wrong, but so far, based on the announcement, it seems more likely that this will be a repackaging of the existing blu-ray sets.

While true that the Bardock special has been remastered, and we know this, it could have been because the two television specials are often lumped in with the films and received a remaster along with them, or (less likely) that it was specifically for the North American theatrical events. Furthermore, didn't I hear somewhere that Selecta Vision had previously requested HD masters of DBZ from Toei who insisted on them using the Funimation abomination of an HD master, which they rightly declined to do? If that's true, then what made Toei change their minds and lead them to remastering it themselves?

I can't really explain the 4 and 3 star balls in the announcement and tweets. I'd love for it to be hinting at the aspect ratio, but I'm just not under the impression that Funimation or Toei are clever enough to pull off something like that. And, if Funimation has proven anything, it's that they don't give a rat's ass about 4:3, let alone think it would be enough of a selling point to specifically hint at it via teaser photo to build up hype.

I had my hopes up for a proper 4:3 HD remaster a la the Bardock special that we've seen, because that looks amazing, but this announcement has significantly tempered my expectations.

It’s definitely 4:3 and a remaster

There is no way all this hoopla is going to be releasing the Blu-ray’s we already have in a fancy box with just a figure and an artbook.

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:12 am

I just hope ther wont be any censorship, because if there is, no matter how good this release will be, i wont buy it.
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

IAmTheMilkMan
Beyond Newbie

Post by IAmTheMilkMan » Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:17 am

Kinokima wrote:There is no way all this hoopla is going to be releasing the Blu-ray’s we already have in a fancy box with just a figure and an artbook.
Oh? You mean like exactly what they did for Cowboy Bebop's 20th Anniversary set?
aka TheMilkmanConspiracy on IFDB
aka WhereIsTheMilkman elsewhere

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Sun Mar 03, 2019 10:42 am

IAmTheMilkMan wrote:
Kinokima wrote:There is no way all this hoopla is going to be releasing the Blu-ray’s we already have in a fancy box with just a figure and an artbook.
Oh? You mean like exactly what they did for Cowboy Bebop's 20th Anniversary set?
No one would rebuy the BRs in just a box with an artbook and figure. Or extremely few people.

Hell there is already a release in a box without a figure an and an artbook. So you expect people to pay all this money for just a figure and artbook? Very few people would do that. Funimation isn’t stupid.

Also I believe that was the first release of Cowboy Bebop for Funi and Cowboy Bebop was released on Blu-ray in its original aspect ratio.

And also the Cowboy Bebop CE came with way more stuff that what Funi is saying this DB Set will come with.

rs_chaosmaster
Regular

Post by rs_chaosmaster » Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:10 pm

This will not be the same as the level sets. Toei Animation is likely the one doing the remastering and not Funimation. This is a joint project between the two of them. I suspect a price tag of $499.99 anything less is wishful thinking. Maybe they do 3 versions but if Toei is the one also coming up with the designs for this set it is going to be something truly special.

Did the Cowboy Bebop 20th anniversary set get made?

I know that anyone that passes on this will be kicking themselves later if this really does have:
4:3 aspect ratio
US Broadcast Score
Original Japanese Audio
Next Episode Previews

I wont be surprised if in addition it has
-Japanese Broadcast Audio :O

My wish to the Dragon:
Include the Pioneer Audio Track and the Original Toonami Broadcast Audio Track
Limited Edition Box Set not just some blurays with a book and statue :/

I suspect with the comment there is so much more to come there very likely will be multiple tiers :O, the information of what this actually is can't come soon enough :shock:

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:47 pm

Anyone got ideas for special features they might include? I'm assuming the Bardock and Trunks specials would fall into that, perhaps, but what else could they provide?

Spoofer

Post by Spoofer » Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:56 pm

Kinokima wrote:Also I believe that was the first release of Cowboy Bebop for Funi and Cowboy Bebop was released on Blu-ray in its original aspect ratio.

And also the Cowboy Bebop CE came with way more stuff that what Funi is saying this DB Set will come with.
Funi had already released the regular edition, as well as the Amazon and Funimation-exclusives, long, long before the Anniversary set. Again, the Anniversary set was the exact same discs in a new package, coupled with its physical collector's stuff. The only things it really had on top of the artbook were the two vinyls and 5 lithographs. Depending on the quality of DBZ's figure, it could end up costing a higher premium than Bebop's $250 set. Again, Funi's intended Bebop Anniversary version that would have included bookend figures was $550, a full $300 over the version we ended up getting.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:05 pm

Spoofer wrote:
Kinokima wrote:Also I believe that was the first release of Cowboy Bebop for Funi and Cowboy Bebop was released on Blu-ray in its original aspect ratio.

Funi had already released the regular edition, as well as the Amazon and Funimation-exclusives, long, long before the Anniversary set. Again, the Anniversary set was the exact same discs in a new package, coupled with its physical collector's stuff. The only things it really had on top of the artbook were the two vinyls and 5 lithographs. Depending on the quality of DBZ's figure, it could end up costing a higher premium than Bebop's $250 set. Again, Funi's intended Bebop Anniversary version that would have included bookend figures was $550, a full $300 over the version we ended up getting.

I mean I expect it will cost more than $250 since DBZ is a much longer series. The question is whether it will be released all at once or in sets.

I mean regardless there is no way this is just a box with a Goku Figure and art Book. There is no way it would sell.

Plus Geekdom who has contacts at Funi has already confirmed its a 4:3 remaster. Plus the 4 and 3 Dragon Balls were the hint. Not sure why ppl are in denial about this.

Spoofer

Post by Spoofer » Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:25 pm

Because the day before he saw others making the 4:3 connection, he was theorizing the 4 and 3 balls referred to a date (March 4th or April 3rd). He's making other assumptions about the supposed remaster based on torrented remuxes coupling remasters with broadcast audio, along with other info and theorizing we've all already had access to. He, painfully obviously, has no further information about this set than the rest of us, and seems to be spreading false information at least in terms of the audio. He's not able to "confirm" anything because he's clearly not in any position to do so. Whether or not he happens to be right, along with everyone else making remaster assumptions, is immaterial. He's not a source.

Yes, the 4/3 balls are very conspicuous, and I'm not denying they're a very strong hint at the 4:3 theory that everyone picked up on. It's just very weird how much the actual site for this release currently focuses so much on the physical aspect of the set. Even when talking about further updates, they're talking about art mockups for the physical design. It's only on Twitter where the hopeful hints have been found. They could be planning their PR around a constant hype drip, but you'd also think they might make the huge info splash that we're all finally getting the 4:3 remaster we've always wanted right from the start, explicitly stated on the website as its main selling feature in order to have everyone (hardcore fans) immediately whip out their wallets. Again, I'm not denying how strong the balls support the 4:3 theory, but it's just bizarre marketing not to feature that info front and center on its actual pledge site. That, and how much it resembles the whole Bebop pledge drive which was nothing but a physical cash grab.

Again, I agree the 4/3 dragon balls are a strong hint, I'm just trying to reconcile the inconsistencies. If they've brought the site online now, with a quickly upcoming, one-time pledge drive, they likely plan to get the product to us within a year like the Bebop set. And that means 291 remastered 4:3 eps in one year (the site makes it pretty clear it's a single collection/release), which best case scenario means to me that Funi figured out a way to do it fast and automated, or are, in a rarity for them, fine with allowing the film grain and inherent blemishes to remain untouched (which is basically what we purists want). But I can't imagine a scenario in which Toei would've put in the work and then alllowed Funi first crack at the release. And while I can see it making financial sense to lock the purist 4:3 release behind an expensive CE paywall, it's still kind of a dick move not to offer a regular release as well, and they know they're gonna ruffle a lot of fans' feathers if they price them out of it (which is much more likely to happen with all the physical stuff). And you'd think with the constant demand that springs up for 4:3 DBZ, they'd keep an option in print for far longer than a single month's signup.
Last edited by Spoofer on Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:27 pm

No Geekdom mentioned the 4:3 remaster BEFORE the Toei and Funi tweets.

Again he has contacts at Funimation who are releasing the set.

Edit: this discussion starts on Feb 24th

viewtopic.php?t=43678

And note everyone on Twitter is hyped and excited about the 4:3 aspect ratio. I don’t see a single person saying OMG a figure and artbook. That’s not why ppl are antipating this release.

Spoofer

Post by Spoofer » Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:38 pm

Who hasn't theorized a 4:3 remaster would eventually be coming, after Toei started remastering the films and 4:3 specials and putting them on Blu-ray? And, what, he mentioned it 10 days after articles like this? http://www.kanzenshuu.com/2019/02/14/li ... ary-plans/ Wow. Super impressed. He's theorizing like absolutely everybody else.

We get it, everybody wants a 4:3 remaster and the hints make it a strong possibility. That still doesn't make a YT theorizer an actual source or a person who can "confirm" anything, at least not in this case when he's making wild claims about the audio based on remuxed torrent offerings.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Sun Mar 03, 2019 1:49 pm

Spoofer wrote:Who hasn't theorized a 4:3 remaster would eventually be coming, after Toei started remastering the films and 4:3 specials and putting them on Blu-ray? And, what, he mentioned it 10 days after articles like this? http://www.kanzenshuu.com/2019/02/14/li ... ary-plans/ Wow. Super impressed. He's theorizing like absolutely everybody else.

We get it, everybody wants a 4:3 remaster and the hints make it a strong possibility. That still doesn't make a YT theorizer an actual source or a person who can "confirm" anything, at least not in this case when he's making wild claims about the audio based on remuxed torrent offerings.
Okay stay in denial

He is not just a theorizer but has inside information and sources. He is a reliable source and would not just say something if it wasn’t true

Note if he DOESNT know something he also says it. Like he said he doesn’t know if the audio is original Japanese Broadcadt or not.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:08 pm

Spoofer wrote:Who hasn't theorized a 4:3 remaster would eventually be coming, after Toei started remastering the films and 4:3 specials and putting them on Blu-ray? And, what, he mentioned it 10 days after articles like this? http://www.kanzenshuu.com/2019/02/14/li ... ary-plans/ Wow. Super impressed. He's theorizing like absolutely everybody else.

As much as I myself disagree with Geekdom's approach to this stuff, there's a BIG difference between speculating there's 4:3 and what Geekdom was doing. And given Funi's track record, the safe money would have been to bet on a 16:9 crop again.

Spoofer

Post by Spoofer » Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:09 pm

I wouldn't say I'm in denial, I just prefer to be cautious in my expectations and wait for actual confirmation. That's fair, no? It's Funi and DBZ, after all. :mrgreen: Again, I've agreed from the start the 4/3 hint is quite strong, but as a collector for 20+ years (and casual DB fan) I'm just seeing some inconsistencies or signs that hint that an actual Toei remaster (now, that Funi would be the first to release) or something on the same scope as the Level sets (frame by frame manual remaster) would be less likely with how this looks to be coming about. But certainly I'd love to be wrong.

But I want 4:3 DBZ the same as anyone here. Well, I mean, I have the DBoxes obviously, but I'd spring for a 4:3 BD set. I pledged for all 3 Bebop sets after all, on top of owning every other US release, whale that I am. XD No way I'm pledging if DBZ isn't 4:3, is all (and I doubt few here would, but they'd still likely get enough pledges from the more casual fans with disposable income).
Last edited by Spoofer on Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OutRun2
Not-So-Newbie

Post by OutRun2 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:11 pm

Can I ask you guys a question? Assuming I'd want to buy a hard drive to rip these discs, how many Terabytes of data do you suspect would be needed to rip all the discs contained in a Bluray boxset for a TV show of this magnitude? 2? 6? 10?