Funimation's 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Terez
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by Terez » Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:53 am

I only watched one unboxing video (I think it was the first posted here) and he did not show his invoice.

My FedEx tracking is still completely in limbo ("pending").

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:54 am

I'm in the party that isnt bothered by the way it works and considers it an improvement over the season blurays.

HOWEVER, I was watching of the youtube clips and my sister walked in and was like "is that from the over 300 dollar set?...whats with the picture (quality)" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Brangeta
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Brangeta » Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:15 pm

I technically received mine Friday, but didn't pick it up from the leasing office until Saturday. So mine arrived the day after it was shipped. I live in Dallas, so that makes sense I suppose.

Based on the new videos someone made on youtube, particularly this one, which frankly looks really good, I decided to go ahead and open the package and look at the discs. The video quality is certainly much better than the orange bricks I own. Watch this in 1080p: https://youtu.be/BlJbU9WosB8

I'm very impressed by the design of the disc holders and the artwork on them. I'm kind of mystified by how they could even get a machine/machines to actually create such a thing without a single imperfection. Attempting to make something like this by hand would be an arts and crafts problem gone wrong, for sure! So it's pretty incredible.

But due to several people here making me concerned over scratching discs I decided to go ahead and spend $28 on 5 of these, which I'll make custom artwork for. https://www.ebay.com/itm/VIVA-ELITE-Blu ... 1001803947 There's 37 discs... 9 in the first 3 sagas and 10 in the last saga, so 4 of these 10-disc cases will hold them all in a similar manner. It's a shame colored blu-ray cases aren't more common... I would have loved to buy these exact same cases in orange.

Considering the negative remarks about episode 1 (and possibly all the way through episode 4), I'm considering making my design a bit different possibly (which is only necessary if I create a table of contents of what is on each disc... which I might). I own the 2 Level set blu-rays already. Perhaps I should keep the discs in the same cases as these, and just add them to the beginning and make my personal collection 39 discs. After all, there's nothing to complain about with regard to cropping if you watch the Level Set discs until you need to swap to the 30th anni ones... :thumbup: I'll have to think about that. The order won't match the current sagas if I do that (well... the 4th case still will).

I don't think the disc holder that Funimation provided is bad, but I can see why some people would be very dissatisfied with it due to the white glove handling you'd want to have with such a delicate work of art and due to its irreplaceable nature. If your behavior involves loading discs in a dark room--you're going to damage the holder or the disc. If you like to drink alcohol while watching, you're going to hurt the packaging or disc. If you have a kid who might touch this thing, they could easily hurt it. I am pretty careful, but I like watching DBZ while lifting weights, and as I'm sure most of you know... if you've been lifting weights, your fine motor control isn't that good immediately after/during. So I am going to put my discs in those cases from ebay and keep the fancy (honestly awesome) artwork version in mint condition by not utilizing them.

I do notice that the discs can have a habit of sliding out of the sleeve a fraction of an inch, and it would be possible to potentially damage them if you weren't being incredibly careful. I only checked the discs that were slightly poking out for damage and all of mine were good. I'll check all of them once the blu-ray cases I ordered arrive...

Anyway, I haven't watched any of them yet, but so far I'm very impressed and satisfied with my purchase. It would have been nice to not feel like I needed to order aftermarket cases, but I appreciate the incredible design of the cases they provided. The printing is flawless and the artwork is beautiful. It's a shame these weren't books instead of cases!

I slightly detest the art book, due to it being perhaps 90% recent fan art and tracings of original Toriyama/Toei art with perhaps 10% (very nice) screenshots from the show. But I understand why they used what they did, due to the fact I've been a graphic designer for over 10 years. The prints are very high res and look very good. The artwork is not horrible by any means; it's just that the artist(s) have a slightly different style of drawing the characters and you can tell they don't understand the size each character is supposed to be and the little specific things that make Toriyama and Toei's old DBZ artwork so likable. An example of artwork that appears in the book is the entire original scene that made up covers like this:

For fans that haven't been fans for over 20 years, or maybe who aren't as picky as me, they probably won't see anything wrong with the art book. I look at artwork like that above and I can't overlook how Ginyu barely looks bigger than Yamcha, and Dodoria's head looking weird, and then it just progresses from there. I just dislike it (a little) because I wish it was full of Toriyama's (and other artists from the 90's) work instead of this late model stuff. In the end... there ARE other options to get to see that work, but given the HUGE size of the coffee table book they gave us, it disappointed me a bit to not get prints of the cool artwork I only have small prints of in books I ordered from Japan. My jaw would have dropped if it was full of things like this:

Overall, I'm thrilled with it so far. There are ways I would be even happier (Level Set quality + art book with 90s artwork), but this is a very nice product and is worlds fancier than any other DBZ item I own. The Rock the Dragon set is the only one that comes close.

Tylerman29
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tylerman29 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:44 pm

Brangeta wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:15 pm

But due to several people here making me concerned over scratching discs I decided to go ahead and spend $28 on 5 of these, which I'll make custom artwork for. https://www.ebay.com/itm/VIVA-ELITE-Blu ... 1001803947 There's 37 discs... 9 in the first 3 sagas and 10 in the last saga, so 4 of these 10-disc cases will hold them all in a similar manner. It's a shame colored blu-ray cases aren't more common... I would have loved to buy these exact same cases in orange.

Yeah I'm going to buy those right now. I thought about buying the rest of the old blu ray seasons and swapping the discs out but that's kinda expensive for just cases with art.

When you finish making the custom art could you show your creation? And would you be open to producing something like that for myself? I don't know the first thing about graphic design. I would compensate you of course.
DB, Z, and GT subbed are my "canon".
SSJ4 > Any transformation in Super.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:09 pm

The amusing proof that something being sharper does not equal more detail.

Those poor, poor lines. The harsh shading edges hurt me so much.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Tylerman29
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tylerman29 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:37 pm

Mine just arrived and no scratches on my discs thank goodness.
DB, Z, and GT subbed are my "canon".
SSJ4 > Any transformation in Super.

Char Aznable
Regular

Post by Char Aznable » Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:45 pm

Seeing as how FUNimation is just ignoring me at this point, I almost want to push the chargeback timeline to tomorrow. I sent them another email this morning. I’m concerned because they charged for this thing all the way back in May. I may even just call my credit card company today.

What a load of shit, they send me a half-baked product (that’s my fault, I knew the shitstorm I was potentially jumping into and took a gamble) with over half of the discs scratched and damaged (that’s their fault), torn pages in the packaging, and I give them a list of damaged discs and pictures and they’re just going to ignore me? Hey, this is good information to know for the future.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:51 pm

Char Aznable wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:45 pm Seeing as how FUNimation is just ignoring me at this point, I almost want to push the chargeback timeline to tomorrow. I sent them another email this morning. I’m concerned because they charged for this thing all the way back in May. I may even just call my credit card company today.

What a load of shit, they send me a half-baked product (that’s my fault, I knew the shitstorm I was potentially jumping into and took a gamble) with over half of the discs scratched and damaged (that’s their fault), torn pages in the packaging, and I give them a list of damaged discs and pictures and they’re just going to ignore me? Hey, this is good information to know for the future.
Wow, so apparently they must have some really crap customer service or something. The fact that you made some well thought out complaints about the set's issues and they don't bother but to just even barely acknowledge you??? If it were myself who had gotten the 30th set in that condition i would've already said "Screw this" and just move on if they were going to do me like that.
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:54 pm

Char Aznable wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:45 pm Seeing as how FUNimation is just ignoring me at this point, I almost want to push the chargeback timeline to tomorrow. I sent them another email this morning. I’m concerned because they charged for this thing all the way back in May. I may even just call my credit card company today.

I'm sorry man. You let FUNi know that you're contacting your credit card company? Thats a good point about being charged way back when. Id let them know youre contacting your credit card company Tomorrow and see if that speed things up.

Chibi Gohan
Regular

Post by Chibi Gohan » Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:26 pm

Disregarding fidelity and quality of the actual master, because that was obviously messy from the start, lets discuss packaging for a moment.

Who thinks its a good idea to place blu-ray discs in a paper sleeve? This has caused many discs to come with scratches. While that will probably not effect the play of the discs, it's still disheartening to receive scratched discs, because they couldn't bother to adopt proper disc casing.

To add to the fun, the actual packaging itself was damaged in multiple spots, from scratches on the casing to disc sleeves being ripped or undone. The art in the disc books itself is hit and miss, with some clearly being blown up past it's intended size. The art book was dented in the corner, not that's worth much... :thumbdown: :thumbdown: :thumbdown:
Last edited by Chibi Gohan on Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I have a Dragon Ball collection of sorts which can be seen here.

Char Aznable
Regular

Post by Char Aznable » Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:26 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:54 pm

I'm sorry man. You let FUNi know that you're contacting your credit card company? Thats a good point about being charged way back when. Id let them know youre contacting your credit card company Tomorrow and see if that speed things up.
Not yet because I figured that would be a last resort, but I don’t appreciate being ghosted by a major company. I’m going to call my card company now and let them know of the situation and to make sure I’m good, I have the receipts and images to back everything up.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:59 pm

Char Aznable wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:26 pm
eledoremassis02 wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:54 pm

Not yet because I figured that would be a last resort, but I don’t appreciate being ghosted by a major company. I’m going to call my card company now and let them know of the situation and to make sure I’m good, I have the receipts and images to back everything up.
Thats good! That really sucks funimation hasnt gotten back. Have you tried calling them? I couldnt find a number on their site but this was on google (tho it's from 2017) hopefully it's the right number 855-264-9672

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:24 pm

Brangeta wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:15 pm I slightly detest the art book, due to it being perhaps 90% recent fan art and tracings of original Toriyama/Toei art with perhaps 10% (very nice) screenshots from the show.
Isn't that the officially-provided Yamamoto artwork? That looks consistent with the pieces he provided for FighterZ's Arc posters in that game. I really hope Shintani does this stuff in the future.

Brangeta
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Brangeta » Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:09 pm

KBABZ wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:24 pm Isn't that the officially-provided Yamamoto artwork? That looks consistent with the pieces he provided for FighterZ's Arc posters in that game. I really hope Shintani does this stuff in the future.
I wouldn't know, unfortunately. I just know most of the art in the book is from the last ~10 years I imagine. I assume some of it is from artists that Funimation uses, but I don't follow that sort of thing as closely as some people here. I've seen some of the same artwork in the book on t-shirts for sale in the last ~3 years if that helps at all.

Scavenger

Post by Scavenger » Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:13 pm

I'm morbidly curious if the 30th anniversary set has shots that are as bad as the worst shots from Funi's dnr'd and fake grained Cowboy Bebop BD: https://slow.pics/comparison/9b33a955-6 ... 93ab564017

bigray
Beyond Newbie

Post by bigray » Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:42 pm

I messed up big time! Well I think I did. I sent in a ticket a few months ago to change the shipping address, it's been shipped without the apartment number (no sure if I left it off or they did, can't see message history only their email replies)

Does anyone know the fastest way to get in contact with them? I went on the FedEx website and they don't let the receiver change the address, unless you've got some verified account.

I've already sent Funi an email but I know they take minimum 1 week to reply and it's already in transit

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:58 pm

KBABZ wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:15 pm
Captain Awesome wrote: Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:06 pm Yeah they really are - aside from the fact the singles are interlaced and have a low bitrate they compare very favourably to the Japanese Dragon Box GT release. The green bricks look pretty lousy by comparison.
I mean personally I'd take bluriness over interlace combing ANY day. There's some during the Goku/Roshi fight on the Dragon Boxes and it's impossible for me to look past.
I mean sure but most modern players won't display combing artifacts if they're de-interlacing properly. Even the PS3 and PS4 have great hardware de-interlacing.
Ajay wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 1:09 pm The amusing proof that something being sharper does not equal more detail.

Those poor, poor lines. The harsh shading edges hurt me so much.
Jesus, the worst part is that that is probably the best the set can look, as like the season blu rays before it the only time line clarity is acceptable is during extreme close up.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Tue Nov 05, 2019 5:34 pm

bigray wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:42 pm I messed up big time! Well I think I did. I sent in a ticket a few months ago to change the shipping address, it's been shipped without the apartment number (no sure if I left it off or they did, can't see message history only their email replies)

Does anyone know the fastest way to get in contact with them? I went on the FedEx website and they don't let the receiver change the address, unless you've got some verified account.

I've already sent Funi an email but I know they take minimum 1 week to reply and it's already in transit
Id try this number. Its apperently their customer service one 855-264-9672

jaisonas
Beyond Newbie

Post by jaisonas » Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:25 pm

Scavenger wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:13 pm I'm morbidly curious if the 30th anniversary set has shots that are as bad as the worst shots from Funi's dnr'd and fake grained Cowboy Bebop BD: https://slow.pics/comparison/9b33a955-6 ... 93ab564017
I seriously cant understand the practice of removing "noise" and then adding it back again. Its like going back to what you set out to do. Might as well not add it at all to look """"cleaner""""
I enjoy tinkering with video and audio.

Brangeta
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Brangeta » Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:11 pm

bigray wrote: Tue Nov 05, 2019 4:42 pm I messed up big time! Well I think I did. I sent in a ticket a few months ago to change the shipping address, it's been shipped without the apartment number (no sure if I left it off or they did, can't see message history only their email replies)

If your packages are accepted by your leasing office and the people working in the leasing office are familiar with you/your name, I would suspect that it does not matter if your apartment number is on there or not.

Call/email your leasing office and inform them that you have a package coming in the next few days that you don't think has your apartment number on it. Ask them to receive it for you and hold it for you to pick up.