Funimation's 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by TheGreatness25 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:04 pm

I really wish they'd include the Latin dub in this. That was one of the coolest things they've done with their releases and we all know how that ended up.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:11 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:04 pm I really wish they'd include the Latin dub in this. That was one of the coolest things they've done with their releases and we all know how that ended up.
The Latin language kind of died but there are variations of it which use Latin. Such as Italian, Portuguese, Galician, Castillan, Catalan, etc. But wait, you instead meant Latin Spanish, that changes everything.

Latin Spanish dubs on FUNimation releases always felt oddly placed here and there. Leave it to Zima for the better or worse.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:12 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:04 pm I really wish they'd include the Latin dub in this. That was one of the coolest things they've done with their releases and we all know how that ended up.
I support this 100%!

SuperSaiyanPan
Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperSaiyanPan » Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:28 pm

It’s funny that when it hit 3,000 this thread kind of died.

jelleline89
Beyond Newbie

Post by jelleline89 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:38 pm

SuperSaiyanPan wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:28 pm It’s funny that when it hit 3,000 this thread kind of died.
Because FUNi already reached their goal without needing to give into specific demand. There's no more leverage to be had, leaving any changes of direction up to FUNi's discretion alone. Unless FUNi gives us an update post, we have to wait for amy further updates.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:11 pm

Nuova wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:58 pm Any word if the Faulconer score is on this set? Or any confirmed audio tracks?
I've assumed they'll have the typical three audio tracks: English-Falcouner, English-Kikuchi and Japanese-Kikuchi.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:20 pm

KBABZ wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:11 pm
Nuova wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:58 pm Any word if the Faulconer score is on this set? Or any confirmed audio tracks?
I've assumed they'll have the typical three audio tracks: English-Falcouner, English-Kikuchi and Japanese-Kikuchi.
Yep, i figured the same as well. That's pretty much been the standard for the audio on all releases since 2007 with exception of course of the Dragon Boxes.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:18 am

KBABZ wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:11 pm
"Japanese-Kikuchi"

What were you expectin', Japanese audio with the Ron Wasserman score? xD

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:46 am

JohnnyCashKami wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:18 am What were you expectin', Japanese audio with the Ron Wasserman score? xD
I've been waiting 26 years to finally get my audio track with Japanese voices and the Peter Berring score! :lol:

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:50 am

I like the complete lack of fanfare from FUNimation despite the 3000 pre-orders being reached. Nothing on their Twitter, nothing on the pre-order page itself. It's like it didn't even happen. I suppose they know that any type of "Hooray!" post would be met with immediate backlash, haha.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:54 am

Forte224 wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:50 am I like the complete lack of fanfare from FUNimation despite the 3000 pre-orders being reached. Nothing on their Twitter, nothing on the pre-order page itself. It's like it didn't even happen. I suppose they know that any type of "Hooray!" post would be met with immediate backlash, haha.
Secretly I'm hoping they're consolidating it with a "We removed the DNR!" post, haha.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:57 am

KBABZ wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:54 am
Forte224 wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:50 am I like the complete lack of fanfare from FUNimation despite the 3000 pre-orders being reached. Nothing on their Twitter, nothing on the pre-order page itself. It's like it didn't even happen. I suppose they know that any type of "Hooray!" post would be met with immediate backlash, haha.
Secretly I'm hoping they're consolidating it with a "We removed the DNR!" post, haha.
Well if they do, they better announce that before the 6000 pre-orders are hit. Or increase the pre-order total. Come on FUNimation, you know you wanna remove the DNR and then milk the overused memes by increasing the limit to 9001 pre-orders.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:57 am

Well, they already had planned this was going to happen and that their goal would be met which is why they don't seem to care too much to give us an update. It's a shame that the other 3000 are also exclusive to the FUNimation Store, I'm sure there'd be people internationally who'd want it.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:00 am

JohnnyCashKami wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 12:57 am
Well, they already had planned this was going to happen and that their goal would be met which is why they don't seem to care too much to give us an update. It's a shame that the other 3000 are also exclusive to the FUNimation Store, I'm sure there'd be people internationally who'd want it.
Still, if this were a situation where the hardcore fans were overall happy with the image quality, I feel like their Twitter or something would have announced it. "Congratulations! 3000 pre-orders have been hit. Thanks DBZ fans for making this a legendary anniversary! But don't stop now, there's still 3000 sets left to go!"

Ya know...something like that.
SuperSaiyanPan wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 10:28 pm It’s funny that when it hit 3,000 this thread kind of died.
Well it's like, what is their left to say, ya know? These picture issues aren't exactly new, we've been dealing with them since 2007, more or less. We've done a pretty good job of spreading the word of how to complain, we know all of the best places to contact FUNimation, a lot of us have sent several tweets, messages, etc. Now we just kind of wait and see what happens.

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:57 am

I don't want to be pessimistic here, but I don't see any kind of "subtle remastering" like the Level sets happening again in the future, or not for decades...

I mean, they tried hard and it didn't sell. As a company, what conclusion are you supposed to draw when you invest a lot of time, efforts and money into a proper remaster, only for people to not care enough, leading to losing more money than you earn.
Are you supposed to sacrifice money only for the legacy of a franchise, which is only one of many you own? Nobody would like to make a bad investment like this.

In the meantime, brutal and destructive remastering which takes less efforts and money seem to make people happy enough, they're willing to buy it... So if you're going to release a new collection, based on observations of all past collections, why would you base it on method 1 (heavy costs, time and efforts for a result that is obviously disliked and fails) rather than on method 2 (automatic, low-cost process that's going to make the masses buy it).

And even with this "brutal" remaster, it's already something for which they feel the need to make it limited and have a proof that a certain number of people are interested before really producing it for good.

It seems that they drew the conclusion that Dragon Ball Z is not always worth investing into, and that with what happened to Level sets, it's absolutely not worth preserving the "old" look for it in the best way possible since people won't even buy it. Right now, their strategy for this new set seems to imply that they think, given their past experiences, MAYBE it can work IF it tries to mimic a modern look but it will SURELY fail hard if it tries to be a high-quality rendition of a "product of its time", just like the Level sets showed.

But hey, if people didn't buy the Level sets, I guess it means what it means. Why would the company logically even try something like that again? Usually, when you put your hand in the fire and get burnt, you'll hardly want to try it again even with people telling you "please, do it again, it's going to do you good this time, we swear!"

It's a shame that it turned out this way (I really liked the awesome efforts they put into the Levels set) but it's not surprising. People reacted a certain way to previous collections, and Funimation drew conclusions as to what the greatest number wants, according to sales.

HakkaiBills93
Banned

Post by HakkaiBills93 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:13 am

They already have their 3000 idiots followers, why should they bother now?
(oh i told that since the beginning but people are allways thinking that people inside funimation are carefull with their customers)

they have theirs 3000 preorders, you can stop dreaming .

Why they didn't said anything after reaching 3000? because they reach their goals but nothing prevent more preorders so why saying things when they know that they will be under real fans "fire".

all give indications that they won't change anything to their shit , you just have to accept it and be thankfull to all idiot with crap eyes that are supporting Funimation in their way and make them allways keep this way

here how look funimation DBZ 30th birthday supporter

yes YOU that are reading and have preorder the set, YOU are why there will never be any valuable release.
Thanks to YOU, fandom will only have jerk

HakkaiBills93
Banned

Post by HakkaiBills93 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:42 am

Cold Skin wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:57 am I don't want to be pessimistic here, but I don't see any kind of "subtle remastering" like the Level sets happening again in the future, or not for decades...

I mean, they tried hard and it didn't sell. As a company, what conclusion are you supposed to draw when you invest a lot of time, efforts and money into a proper remaster, only for people to not care enough, leading to losing more money than you earn.
Are you supposed to sacrifice money only for the legacy of a franchise, which is only one of many you own? Nobody would like to make a bad investment like this.

In the meantime, brutal and destructive remastering which takes less efforts and money seem to make people happy enough, they're willing to buy it... So if you're going to release a new collection, based on observations of all past collections, why would you base it on method 1 (heavy costs, time and efforts for a result that is obviously disliked and fails) rather than on method 2 (automatic, low-cost process that's going to make the masses buy it).

And even with this "brutal" remaster, it's already something for which they feel the need to make it limited and have a proof that a certain number of people are interested before really producing it for good.

It seems that they drew the conclusion that Dragon Ball Z is not always worth investing into, and that with what happened to Level sets, it's absolutely not worth preserving the "old" look for it in the best way possible since people won't even buy it. Right now, their strategy for this new set seems to imply that they think, given their past experiences, MAYBE it can work IF it tries to mimic a modern look but it will SURELY fail hard if it tries to be a high-quality rendition of a "product of its time", just like the Level sets showed.

But hey, if people didn't buy the Level sets, I guess it means what it means. Why would the company logically even try something like that again? Usually, when you put your hand in the fire and get burnt, you'll hardly want to try it again even with people telling you "please, do it again, it's going to do you good this time, we swear!"

It's a shame that it turned out this way (I really liked the awesome efforts they put into the Levels set) but it's not surprising. People reacted a certain way to previous collections, and Funimation drew conclusions as to what the greatest number wants, according to sales.
Season sets sold well cause of the low price instead of the level sets that was higher in price, the fault is half funimation, half customer
if they have made more copies at lower prices, they would have sold more and could afford remaster process
Remaster like we want are lower in price cause THEY ALREADY HAVE THE RAW SCAN FILM so no scan cost, it's already done, idem for tapes mark etc i think as season sets etc already have them removed, it was done originaly and even if not, it's not so high cost as they already have done it.

What remain to do?
- crop
- color correction
it's something you can do with cheap software so they can do it and they do it, their things is higher crop, color altered (not the same colors as raw films)

Funimation just hide behind money things but it's not the problem at all, they use their own shitty taste like the girl on discord that is happy with this jerk .
If custumers have massively said FUCK YOU to funimation and didn't make the preorder, our voices could have been heard but it's not the case.
The main trouble is that here there is harcore fans that want the best release for db series but we are minority, others are happy with mspaint quality

that's why i allways think we'll never got something good as long as those cancerous eyes jerks will buy the release

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:51 am

Cold Skin wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:57 amIn the meantime, brutal and destructive remastering which takes less efforts and money
First, change your avatar, I thought you were SuperSaiyaManZ94.

Second, by this point we've proven that this is patently untrue, since we've made it clear that we actually highly prefer Funimation just crop their film reels and not apply any DNR or colour correction. That literally takes less time, money and effort to make since all they'd have to do is a good 4:3 crop.
Cold Skin wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:57 amAnd even with this "brutal" remaster, it's already something for which they feel the need to make it limited and have a proof that a certain number of people are interested before really producing it for good.
There are other facets that justify this approach though, namely the statue and art book. Frivolous though they may be to us, as part of the product Funimation need to know how many of these they have to make so they can let their associated partners know how many art books and statues they need to produce. The minimum of 3,000, aside from being a cute reference to the 30th anniversary, is also the threshold for which they consider going through all this trouble worth it as a business.
Cold Skin wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:57 amIt seems that they drew the conclusion that Dragon Ball Z is not always worth investing into, and that with what happened to Level sets, it's absolutely not worth preserving the "old" look for it in the best way possible since people won't even buy it. Right now, their strategy for this new set seems to imply that they think, given their past experiences, MAYBE it can work IF it tries to mimic a modern look but it will SURELY fail hard if it tries to be a high-quality rendition of a "product of its time", just like the Level sets showed.
You're ignoring two important factors with the Levels though, which are Price and Market Saturation. As has been pointed out before, the Level sets were released at the same time as the seventh and last Dragon Box set, and more notably in the middle of fellow Blu-Ray series Z Kai, releasing alongside Kai Part 6 and and the full release of Season 3. The Level sets were also priced expensively as they had nine episodes per disc, compared to the more lean seven on the Orange Bricks and three on the Singles and UUEs (although the Blu-Seasons fit ten, likely due to how the DNR smearing meant the bitrates could go further down without being noticeable).

In short, there was no need at that time to release or buy a THIRD version of Z, and Funimation would have been much better off waiting a year or two later when Kai was a memory and the Z Boxes were out of stock. And guess what? That's exactly what the Blu-Seasons did because they released in 2013, a year after Kai finished on Blu-Ray! It boggles the mind that Funi didn't at all consider just picking up the Levels where they left off.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:18 am

KBABZ wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:51 am
Cold Skin wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:57 amIn the meantime, brutal and destructive remastering which takes less efforts and money
First, change your avatar, I thought you were SuperSaiyaManZ94.

Second, by this point we've proven that this is patently untrue, since we've made it clear that we actually highly prefer Funimation just crop their film reels and not apply any DNR or colour correction. That literally takes less time, money and effort to make since all they'd have to do is a good 4:3 crop.
Cold Skin wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:57 amAnd even with this "brutal" remaster, it's already something for which they feel the need to make it limited and have a proof that a certain number of people are interested before really producing it for good.
There are other facets that justify this approach though, namely the statue and art book. Frivolous though they may be to us, as part of the product Funimation need to know how many of these they have to make so they can let their associated partners know how many art books and statues they need to produce. The minimum of 3,000, aside from being a cute reference to the 30th anniversary, is also the threshold for which they consider going through all this trouble worth it as a business.
Cold Skin wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:57 amIt seems that they drew the conclusion that Dragon Ball Z is not always worth investing into, and that with what happened to Level sets, it's absolutely not worth preserving the "old" look for it in the best way possible since people won't even buy it. Right now, their strategy for this new set seems to imply that they think, given their past experiences, MAYBE it can work IF it tries to mimic a modern look but it will SURELY fail hard if it tries to be a high-quality rendition of a "product of its time", just like the Level sets showed.
You're ignoring two important factors with the Levels though, which are Price and Market Saturation. As has been pointed out before, the Level sets were released at the same time as the seventh and last Dragon Box set, and more notably in the middle of fellow Blu-Ray series Z Kai, releasing alongside Kai Part 6 and and the full release of Season 3. The Level sets were also priced expensively as they had nine episodes per disc, compared to the more lean seven on the Orange Bricks and three on the Singles and UUEs (although the Blu-Seasons fit ten, likely due to how the DNR smearing meant the bitrates could go further down without being noticeable).

In short, there was no need at that time to release or buy a THIRD version of Z, and Funimation would have been much better off waiting a year or two later when Kai was a memory and the Z Boxes were out of stock. And guess what? That's exactly what the Blu-Seasons did because they released in 2013, a year after Kai finished on Blu-Ray! It boggles the mind that Funi didn't at all consider just picking up the Levels where they left off.
Yeah, it would have been better if FUNi had held off on the Level sets for another year or two, then perhaps they could have potentially been better received instead of being lost in the midst of a blitz of other Dragon Ball releases at the same time and underselling like they actually did. Had they not been killed off, they likely could have been the solution for those wanting a decent 4:3 release who didn't get the Dragon Boxes.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:30 am

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:18 am Yeah, it would have been better if FUNi had held off on the Level sets for another year or two, then perhaps they could have potentially been better received instead of being lost in the midst of a blitz of other Dragon Ball releases at the same time and underselling like they actually did. Had they not been killed off, they likely could have been the solution for those wanting a decent 4:3 release who didn't get the Dragon Boxes.
Agreed, and then we wouldn't be in this situation. Instead the Black Brick would have instead been a collectible release of the Levels rather than an entirely new Master of the show.