Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
sintzu
Banned
Posts: 13583
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:41 pm

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by sintzu » Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:50 am

Forte224 wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:11 am
Well, April 3rd has come and gone.
Z's first episode aired on the 26th of April in Japan so maybe that's when they plan on announcing it.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

User avatar
Scsigs
I Live Here
Posts: 2711
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:55 am
Location: NY, USA
Contact:

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by Scsigs » Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:33 am

Forte224 wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:11 am
Well, April 3rd has come and gone.
So, 4:3, baby!
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

User avatar
linkdude20002001
I Live Here
Posts: 2544
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2005 4:22 pm
Location: Lynnwood, Washington

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by linkdude20002001 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:47 am

First they said "In February [...] we’re going to have a 30th anniversary collectible home video release announcement.", but we didn't get it till March 3rd. And in said announcement, they said "In the coming weeks, we’ll reveal full details of the set and open a reservation period[...]. "Weeks" usually doesn't mean "a month". Why so much waiting? I already can't even comprehend there being an announcement to announce plans for an announcement to announce plans...
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

User avatar
KBABZ
I Live Here
Posts: 4284
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:38 pm
Location: The tallest tower in West City

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by KBABZ » Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:33 am

linkdude20002001 wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:47 am
First they said "In February [...] we’re going to have a 30th anniversary collectible home video release announcement.", but we didn't get it till March 3rd. And in said announcement, they said "In the coming weeks, we’ll reveal full details of the set and open a reservation period[...]. "Weeks" usually doesn't mean "a month". Why so much waiting? I already can't even comprehend there being an announcement to announce plans for an announcement to announce plans...
Approval from Toei causing delays, maybe?

HakkaiBills93
Temporarily Banned
Posts: 508
Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:04 pm

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by HakkaiBills93 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:35 am

or they were chilled after reading the twitter comments that criticizes the new z release

mikezilla2
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 224
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:13 pm

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by mikezilla2 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:18 am

https://twitter.com/FUNimation/status/1 ... 2088469504 ?

brick wall for now hope to hear something before then..........

but that would be the coming weeks ........

User avatar
sangofe
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6537
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2004 3:39 pm

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by sangofe » Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:19 am

mikezilla2 wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:18 am
https://twitter.com/FUNimation/status/1 ... 2088469504 ?

brick wall for now hope to hear something before then..........

but that would be the coming weeks ........

That has nothing to do with this topic, has it?

User avatar
Scsigs
I Live Here
Posts: 2711
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 3:55 am
Location: NY, USA
Contact:

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by Scsigs » Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:39 pm

sangofe wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:19 am
mikezilla2 wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:18 am
https://twitter.com/FUNimation/status/1 ... 2088469504 ?

brick wall for now hope to hear something before then..........

but that would be the coming weeks ........
That has nothing to do with this topic, has it?
Not a thing.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

User avatar
Forte224
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1384
Joined: Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:56 pm

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by Forte224 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:41 pm

Scsigs wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:39 pm
sangofe wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:19 am
mikezilla2 wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:18 am
https://twitter.com/FUNimation/status/1 ... 2088469504 ?

brick wall for now hope to hear something before then..........

but that would be the coming weeks ........
That has nothing to do with this topic, has it?
Not a thing.
I think he's just being hopeful that we'll hear something between now and then, or maybe even on that date. It's not normal to just set a random date for Schemmel and Sabat to have a video game rematch and nothing else. Reaching maybe but it's not too far off base.

User avatar
SuperSaiyaManZ94
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1371
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:01 pm
Location: Alabama, USA

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:35 pm

Forte224 wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:41 pm
Scsigs wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:39 pm
sangofe wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:19 am

That has nothing to do with this topic, has it?
Not a thing.
I think he's just being hopeful that we'll hear something between now and then, or maybe even on that date. It's not normal to just set a random date for Schemmel and Sabat to have a video game rematch and nothing else. Reaching maybe but it's not too far off base.
It would be interesting if they were to announce the specs on the set on the 26th, what with that being the 30th anniversary of DBZ's premiere and all i couldn't think of a more appropriate time than the actual anniversary itself but i guess we will see.

User avatar
Gligarman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 386
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:04 pm

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by Gligarman » Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:55 pm

So where was all of this hubbub when the original Dragon Ball had it's 30th anniversary? I'm still waiting for an unedited home video release of that.

User avatar
Forte224
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1384
Joined: Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:56 pm

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by Forte224 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:05 pm

Gligarman wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:55 pm
So where was all of this hubbub when the original Dragon Ball had it's 30th anniversary? I'm still waiting for an unedited home video release of that.
You mean where's the Blu-ray remaster, right? There are quite a few home video releases of it, just not on Blu-ray. Anyway, sadly Dragon Ball just isn't as popular as Z. Or at least, Toei and FUNi don't seem to think so. It always comes second, at best. Kai skipped it, Dragon Box Z Volumes 1 and 2 came out before the DB Dragon Box, and the full color manga released the "Dragon Ball" portion after the "Z" portion despite the manga never making that distinction before in Japan (and even just sort of lazily called it the "Boyhood arc", treating all the events up to Raditz as one arc). Them's the breaks. If the Z Blu-rays sell well, I can't imagine Dragon Ball will be far behind.

User avatar
Gligarman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 386
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:04 pm

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by Gligarman » Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:08 pm

Forte224 wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:05 pm
Gligarman wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 3:55 pm
So where was all of this hubbub when the original Dragon Ball had it's 30th anniversary? I'm still waiting for an unedited home video release of that.
You mean where's the Blu-ray remaster, right? There are quite a few home video releases of it, just not on Blu-ray. Anyway, sadly Dragon Ball just isn't as popular as Z. Or at least, Toei and FUNi don't seem to think so. It always comes second, at best. Kai skipped it, Dragon Box Z Volumes 1 and 2 came out before the DB Dragon Box, and the full color manga released the "Dragon Ball" portion after the "Z" portion despite the manga never making that distinction before in Japan (and even just sort of lazily called it the "Boyhood arc", treating all the events up to Raditz as one arc). Them's the breaks. If the Z Blu-rays sell well, I can't imagine Dragon Ball will be far behind.
Whatever they choose to do I just don't want it to be edited anymore. I wish it had gotten the Dragon Box treatment in the US.

User avatar
KBABZ
I Live Here
Posts: 4284
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:38 pm
Location: The tallest tower in West City

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by KBABZ » Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:47 pm

Gligarman wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:08 pm
Whatever they choose to do I just don't want it to be edited anymore. I wish it had gotten the Dragon Box treatment in the US.
Haven't you heard? Nobody gives a shit about prequels!

User avatar
Gligarman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 386
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:04 pm

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by Gligarman » Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:39 pm

KBABZ wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:47 pm
Gligarman wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:08 pm
Whatever they choose to do I just don't want it to be edited anymore. I wish it had gotten the Dragon Box treatment in the US.
Haven't you heard? Nobody gives a shit about prequels!
Lol. Sorry Bardock!

User avatar
Char Aznable
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 489
Joined: Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:02 pm
Location: Connecticut
Contact:

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by Char Aznable » Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:49 pm

Gligarman wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:39 pm
KBABZ wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:47 pm
Gligarman wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:08 pm
Whatever they choose to do I just don't want it to be edited anymore. I wish it had gotten the Dragon Box treatment in the US.
Haven't you heard? Nobody gives a shit about prequels!
Lol. Sorry Bardock!
No, that one's okay because it's part of Z, but all that stuff between Bardock and Raditz? Fuck that, that's unimportant and nobody cares.

User avatar
Bardo117
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 977
Joined: Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:03 pm

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by Bardo117 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:04 pm

Bad Bunny disapproves of all this random discussion going on.

It's true, that only a few people (Maybe 500? At most) are vocal about the 'legitimate' and 'complete' release of the series. The rest are happily content with what's been released.

I've seriously never heard anyone complain about the orange bricks except people here. I love my Dragon Boxes, but I understand that 99.99999% of the fans don't want or need or know about the 'authentic' experience.
El Conejo Malo

User avatar
Gligarman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 386
Joined: Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:04 pm

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by Gligarman » Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:27 pm

Char Aznable wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:49 pm
Gligarman wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:39 pm
KBABZ wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 5:47 pm

Haven't you heard? Nobody gives a shit about prequels!
Lol. Sorry Bardock!
No, that one's okay because it's part of Z, but all that stuff between Bardock and Raditz? Fuck that, that's unimportant and nobody cares.
All I know is that I wanna see Yajirobe cut Cymbal in half and then eat him in HD! lol

User avatar
SuperSaiyaManZ94
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1371
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:01 pm
Location: Alabama, USA

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:39 pm

Gligarman wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 7:27 pm
Char Aznable wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:49 pm
Gligarman wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:39 pm


Lol. Sorry Bardock!
No, that one's okay because it's part of Z, but all that stuff between Bardock and Raditz? Fuck that, that's unimportant and nobody cares.
All I know is that I wanna see Yajirobe cut Cymbal in half and then eat him in HD! lol
I really want to see the series finally available in HD with both openings, all four of the closing animations and the next episode previews all there for the first time ever. :thumbup:

User avatar
eledoremassis02
I Live Here
Posts: 3384
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:40 pm

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by eledoremassis02 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 9:56 pm

If this didnt get the outcome they wanted to you think this will just dissapear like the dragob ball dtagon box and movie survey or the 4:3 vs 16x9 survey?

Post Reply