Funimation's 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Char Aznable
Regular

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by Char Aznable » Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:36 am

AnimeMaakuo wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:18 am
Char Aznable wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:04 am
sangofe wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:52 am I wonder who remastered the Bardock TV special?
Animax themselves? I read some comment here where the poster was thinking toei would donc their own remaster in addition but... I don't think so.

I wonder what happens if this gets enough pre orders? Is this the final nail in the coffin for a good quality release of dbz should the trailer be representative of the final product ?

So you can pre order, then cancel?
https://www.funimation.com/shop-policy/

At the bottom, it says you can email them to cancel an order. Not highly encouraging, but I’ve never seen a store force you to keep an order if you don’t want it. But yes, I took a $350 gamble with the hopes that I can cancel it if I’m not satisfied.

Seeing as how they’re only doing 3,000 to start, I figure if this turns out better than shown, a lot of people will be clamoring for that additional (not guaranteed) 3,000 boxes that seem to be directed for sale outside this order, so better to play it safe.

I don’t know, worst case scenario they say I can’t cancel anything (highly unorthodox though, I’ve never heard of someone refusing cancellations and returns for new product) and it turns out to actually be that bad, I can get it when it launches and then turn around and immediately sell it sealed.
I’m sorry to hear you’re taking a chance. This is exactly what FUNi wants. You will be sorely disappointed ... IMO.
I have a feeling I’m going to be disappointed/pissed off. Between using two different footage sources in the trailer and the fact that it won’t actually be delivered until November, I figured it was worth a gamble.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:38 am

MetaMoss wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:22 amDo they screw up other shows, or is DBZ in this weird "it's our cash cow, no need to put in effort" bubble?
This is certainly my impression from what little I've heard of their other show releases. Dragon Ball, Z in particular, just seems to be stuck in this convoluted snarling seizure-labyrinth where they just can't nail a good release! The only respectable releases they've done are the Ultimate Uncuts, the Level sets, the Dragon Box Zs and Kai, and if you take out the unfinished runs and the not-at-all-advertised limited run of Dragon Boxes, you're left with the original Kai, an English reprint of something Toei had already done all the work on.

Funi's VA department might have earnt back some respect for most fans over the years, but their video department is ALL kinds of fucked up.
Char Aznable wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:36 am I have a feeling I’m going to be disappointed/pissed off. Between using two different footage sources in the trailer and the fact that it won’t actually be delivered until November, I figured it was worth a gamble.
At the very least we'll have a reliable source of amusing comparison pictures for the forum later (I also kinda hope you have the original Goku statue too, haha).

AnimeMaakuo
Advanced Regular

Post by AnimeMaakuo » Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:52 am

KBABZ wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:38 am
MetaMoss wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:22 amDo they screw up other shows, or is DBZ in this weird "it's our cash cow, no need to put in effort" bubble?
This is certainly my impression from what little I've heard of their other show releases. Dragon Ball, Z in particular, just seems to be stuck in this convoluted snarling seizure-labyrinth where they just can't nail a good release! The only respectable releases they've done are the Ultimate Uncuts, the Level sets, the Dragon Box Zs and Kai, and if you take out the unfinished runs and the not-at-all-advertised limited run of Dragon Boxes, you're left with the original Kai, an English reprint of something Toei had already done all the work on.

Funi's VA department might have earnt back some respect for most fans over the years, but their video department is ALL kinds of fucked up.
Char Aznable wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:36 am I have a feeling I’m going to be disappointed/pissed off. Between using two different footage sources in the trailer and the fact that it won’t actually be delivered until November, I figured it was worth a gamble.
At the very least we'll have a reliable source of amusing comparison pictures for the forum later (I also kinda hope you have the original Goku statue too, haha).
I wouldn’t be able to tolerate having that Goku figure in my room smiling at me... knowing it came with a poorly remastered re-release, the figure would be a constant reminder of my hatred toward FUNi.
My YouTube

Soppa Saiyjins from Dorgou Ballru Zetto is my favorite transformation everah, especially when Trounksoru did it in front of Seru and when Bejita did it when he faced Jingonigen-hachigo. But for real, I use the FUNi pronunciation. - Soppa Saia People

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:19 am

I love what he said about how frustrating it is that Dragon Ball Z can't have a decent mass market home release that you don't have to explain 20 different things that are wrong with it.

That's definitely the most infuriating thing. I know people who haven't purchased the series yet but would like to. It shouldn't be this hard neither for Funimation to put out a serviceable readily available DVD/Blu-Ray set or for the fans to be well informed about what they fucked up on this time before making a decision.

I seriously hope the people who have made reservations back out of this and get on the #BringBackTheLevelSets bandwagon. Your money would be far better spent getting Funimation to finally finish those sets, especially when that remaster has already been started and done well.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

isamu

Post by isamu » Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:34 am

Danfun64 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:00 am You're confusing the 2014 sets (which covered the whole series. If anything, it's Kanzenshuu's home video guide page that's incomplete) with the cancelled 2011 Level sets (which as released only covered Ep 1-34. Technically Ep 1-39 if you count the five episodes that used to be XBLA exclusive.)
OK but that doesn't answer my question. How do the 2014 BD sets from Amazon, shown here:

https://www.amazon.com/Dragon-Ball-Seas ... way&sr=8-5

.....compare to the Level sets, and are they 4:3? If so, why don't people consider the 2014 BD set the best one?

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:36 am

Shaddy wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:23 pm Image

The absolute state of Funimation. This series is a fuckin' monkey's paw
To be fair, it's NOT 16:9 recropped to 4:3. You saw the comparison. It's the season sets' masters prior to the cropping, just zoomed in slightly on all sides for no reason.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:38 am

That...doesn't really matter. What matters is that it's shit, and the least amount of picture of any release. They might as well have cut off the sides for the difference it makes.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:01 am

AnimeMaakuo wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:52 am I wouldn’t be able to tolerate having that Goku figure in my room smiling at me... knowing it came with a poorly remastered re-release, the figure would be a constant reminder of my hatred toward FUNi.
Well obviously it'd be before you dose it in gasoline before giving Goku his first pyro-based Kaio-Ken.
isamu wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:34 amHow do the 2014 BD sets from Amazon, shown here:

.....compare to the Level sets, and are they 4:3? If so, why don't people consider the 2014 BD set the best one?
I'm not entirely familiar with them, but to my knowledge they're just a repackaging of the original Blu-Rays provided in a box set, so the 16:9 would still be there. If you look at the second picture in the gallery, you'll see that the cover and spine artwork of the Blu-Ray that is pulled out is exactly the same as the Season 9 Blu-Ray:

Further, the wraparound artwork on the front of the box is the same artwork used for Seasons 4-6 of the Blu-Ray:

AnimeMaakuo
Advanced Regular

Post by AnimeMaakuo » Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:13 am

KBABZ wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:01 am
AnimeMaakuo wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 2:52 am I wouldn’t be able to tolerate having that Goku figure in my room smiling at me... knowing it came with a poorly remastered re-release, the figure would be a constant reminder of my hatred toward FUNi.
Well obviously it'd be before you dose it in gasoline before giving Goku his first pyro-based Kaio-Ken.
:lol:
My YouTube

Soppa Saiyjins from Dorgou Ballru Zetto is my favorite transformation everah, especially when Trounksoru did it in front of Seru and when Bejita did it when he faced Jingonigen-hachigo. But for real, I use the FUNi pronunciation. - Soppa Saia People

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:22 am

KBABZ wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:03 pm That was AnimeMaauko I believe, not Geekdom.
Oh!! Sorry. I didn't see that. I thot they were talking about AnimeMaauko. :0
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

jelleline89
Beyond Newbie

Post by jelleline89 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:11 am

Funding progress hasn't been updated in almost 7 hours. I thought it was an automated process but it looks like someone manually updates it.

Scavenger

Post by Scavenger » Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:15 am

jelleline89 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:18 am Just wanted to say, I truly believe this is more so the doing of Toei Animation than FUNimation. FUNi had no issues releasing older properties like Yu Yu Hakusho and Cowboy Bebop on Blu-ray in great quality. Then there's Toei, responsible for blocking One Piece episodes on Blu-ray because it's not a thing in Japan and withholding better masters of Sailor Moon episodes from Viz Media. The difference between the Blu-rays we got here to the ones released in Japan are like night and day.
The FUNi Cowboy Bebop BD is a disaster. Almost as bad as the DBZ season sets IMO. DNR, fake film grain, poor compression
and the 30p & 60i footage have been squashed down to 24p.

HakkaiBills93
Banned

Post by HakkaiBills93 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:46 am

1317 jerks at this time are buying this shit.

Why Funi dare to call this shit "collectible"? because there is human jerks to buy it. simply like that
Funnymation (cause they can't be called professionnal anymore, even me can do far better jobs with dragon ball than them (and i am not the best video editor for that).
if a true remaster came one day, it will never came from USA for sure

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:53 am

HakkaiBills93 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:46 am 1317 jerks at this time are buying this shit.

Why Funi dare to call this shit "collectible"? because there is human jerks to buy it. simply like that
Funnymation (cause they can't be called professionnal anymore, even me can do far better jobs with dragon ball than them (and i am not the best video editor for that).
Calling people jerks that are placing orders is not cool man. This is subjective at the end of the day. If people like the set and remaster then more power to them but stop making them out to be the villain here.

Toei share equal blame for this aswell it's not all on FUNimation.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:56 am

Please do not support this Dragon Ball Z release on Blu-ray as it's sending the wrong message to FUNimation. This is not what we wanted and if they eventually get the 3,000 "wishes" then they think they're doing us a favor, come on, avoid this like the plague.

Screw sending FUNimation messages/tweets, just don't buy this piece of shit.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:04 am

Just noticed that the artwork for Goku on his statue box is very similar to the cover for Xenoverse 2. For a 30th anniversary celebration release, there's almost nothing about this that's actually NEW. Dragon Box this ain't, even the mass-market Blu-Ray Seasons got brand new art pieces made for them distinct for those releases.

HakkaiBills93
Banned

Post by HakkaiBills93 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:13 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:53 am
HakkaiBills93 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:46 am 1317 jerks at this time are buying this shit.

Calling people jerks that are placing orders is not cool man. This is subjective at the end of the day. If people like the set and remaster then more power to them but stop making them out to be the villain here.

Toei share equal blame for this aswell it's not all on FUNimation.
Supporting this fake "collectible edition" is a big insult toward all animators, all people that worked in dragon ball episodes (even ebisawa lol) .
With the trailer, customers know what shit will be released and those 1317 people choose to support it , so yes they are jerks , i say and will allways keep my words about it , if dragon ball released are cursed it's thanks to that shitty people that support this kind of garbage. Countless time, i told that buying shit only cause more shit to come (why doing a proper high cost remaster when this joke sold well?)
i even think that Funimation could be legally pursue for that release cause:
1) Funimation make false advertising by saying "remastered in HD for the first time in Bluray" why? it's an upscale, not an HD remaster , they should have used "released in High definition" (so playing with words) by saying that, they are fooling custumers cause it's the same upscale as season sets, only with 4/3 aspect ratio, differrent colors and differrent cropping .
2) calling collectible something that isn't collectible is also fake advertising, theirs advertising tease a product that they are not solding.
i invite US people to pursue them

here a proper illustration for this release following what is in thoses set:

Last edited by HakkaiBills93 on Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:18 am

KBABZ wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:04 am Just noticed that the artwork for Goku on his statue box is very similar to the cover for Xenoverse 2. For a 30th anniversary celebration release, there's almost nothing about this that's actually NEW. Dragon Box this ain't, even the mass-market Blu-Ray Seasons got brand new art pieces made for them distinct for those releases.

Don't forget that this too is on Dragon Ball Kai's 2014 ED1:

I think TOEI re-used this on DBS as well.

Jon Jon
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Jon Jon » Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:21 am

Been a while!

I actually came here to see what everyone thinks of the new set, and it is more or less what I was expecting.

My optimistic side feels that there is potential for them to continue the level sets remaster, because where is all of this money going if they aren't actually going to redo the season set remaster? With a total gross of over $1,000,000, I imagine they have the few hundred thousand to do a proper in house remaster with existing resources (people, utilities, and film assets).

Granted, I am making an assumption for how much this project would cost them with the existing resources listed above. Who here has a real grounding in how much projects like this costs?

As one of the people on here with a complete Dragon Box set (those were the days for sure being on here and talking about each volume release as they came out!), I am more intrigued by this for the collector value. Even with a proper remaster, I doubt we will have NEPs, which honestly was one of the biggest selling points to me for the Dragon Boxes.

The statue looks cool, and the overall design looks great. I am curious about the art book. Personally, I think this should have included a soundtrack on CD, given the price.

However, I think the season BD sets were more made for the streaming service, and then just slapped onto home release for those wanting to buy it. Putting that type of quality onto this release would be a travesty for sure.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:29 am

isamu wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:34 amOK but that doesn't answer my question. How do the 2014 BD sets from Amazon, shown here:

It's cropped to 16:9 AR, heavily DNR'd, looks like a god damn water paint job and many think that that's how Dragon Ball Z is supposed to look like. Reading the reviews was kind of depressing. :|
100% worth it! Amazing picture and sound. If you’re a DB fan then this is a must own.