Funimation's 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:24 pm

Big Boss wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:06 pm Is it possible that they simply used the 16:9 BD footage and cropped it to 4:3 as a placeholder for demonstration purposes?

We all know the answer to this will be 'no', but just throwing it out there.
No, if Funimation were serious this new set was getting the remastering treatment it deserves they should have used the already 4:3 level set footage. Instead they went out of their way to crop the footage again when they already had a perfectly good remaster of those exact shots in their possession. Its so frustrating. If Funimation needed the money for anything it should have been for continuing the level sets and finishing them this time. No one would have complained if thats what we were getting.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:30 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:24 pm
Big Boss wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:06 pm Is it possible that they simply used the 16:9 BD footage and cropped it to 4:3 as a placeholder for demonstration purposes?

We all know the answer to this will be 'no', but just throwing it out there.
No, if Funimation were serious this new set was getting the remastering treatment it deserves they should have used the already 4:3 level set footage. Instead they went out of their way to crop the footage again when they already had a perfectly good remaster of those exact shots in their possession. Its so frustrating. If Funimation needed the money for anything it should have been for continuing the level sets and finishing them this time. No one would have complained if thats what we were getting.
That's why they aren't getting money from me for this release and i will gladly be hanging onto my Dragon Boxes, because FUNi is certainly capable of better yet they cut corners every which way and just put out sub standard piss poor crap like this. I really thought they were going to do it right this time but obviously i was hoping for too much out of them. If this had been in the style of the Level sets all the way I'd have immediately signed up, but with this i'm definitely not interested now because now they have botched yet another release that looked promising.
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Tylerman29
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tylerman29 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:47 pm

Looks like we will get more information soon!
“Unfortunately at this time we have no further announcements on the quality of video and sounds of the DBZ 30th Anniversary Collector's edition. However in light of the developing situation, we invite you to stay posted at our website. https://www.funimation.com/dbz30th/

Please let us know if you have any other questions or concerns.

Thank You!
Gerald

Funimation Support“
DB, Z, and GT subbed are my "canon".
SSJ4 > Any transformation in Super.

Big Boss
Regular

Post by Big Boss » Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:53 pm

Tylerman29 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:47 pm Looks like we will get more information soon!
“Unfortunately at this time we have no further announcements on the quality of video and sounds of the DBZ 30th Anniversary Collector's edition. However in light of the developing situation, we invite you to stay posted at our website. https://www.funimation.com/dbz30th/

Thank You!
Gerald

Funimation Support“
I often find myself feeling sorry for customer support employees during times of high drama like this. You just know the amount of shit they get probably goes well beyond their job description. Not that I'm implying anyone here has sent anything malicious to support emails, but unfortunately I can't say the same about other websites.

Char Aznable
Regular

Post by Char Aznable » Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:54 pm

Meanwhile still no answer from FUNimation Support on my request to cancel my order. If they're really going to force people that changed their minds on this to buy it anyway they're just asking for even more negative PR at a time when they really can't afford more of it.

Because now I'm starting to get pissed off. I should've known better than to chance on this thing.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:04 pm

Big Boss wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:53 pm I often find myself feeling sorry for customer support employees during times of high drama like this. You just know the amount of shit they get probably goes well beyond their job description. Not that I'm implying anyone here has sent anything malicious to support emails, but unfortunately I can't say the same about other websites.
Agreed. I know the person who runs Funi's social media (not personally, she pops into the Kinda Funny Twitch chat every once in a while) and she almost certainly is having a rough go at it at the moment.

Regardless, the wording of the letter sounds hopeful. I'm not gonna say it'll definitely mean a clarification on what the quality will be like on the discs, but well... it's the first step towards that potentially happening.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:06 pm

KBABZ wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:13 pm Could you reword that? Your sentence makes no sense to me.
That did sound weird re-reading it lol. Basically the safe zone is where the important visual information is. If it's not compromised then I'm ok with it. The 16x9 releses totaly disregard this. Now I'm not getting this set regardless (even if we get level style remasters) as my interest in dragon ball is slowing down a lot. But I feel i've said all I have to say regarding this release

Char Aznable
Regular

Post by Char Aznable » Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:06 pm

KBABZ wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:04 pm
Big Boss wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:53 pm I often find myself feeling sorry for customer support employees during times of high drama like this. You just know the amount of shit they get probably goes well beyond their job description. Not that I'm implying anyone here has sent anything malicious to support emails, but unfortunately I can't say the same about other websites.
Agreed. I know the person who runs Funi's social media (not personally, she pops into the Kinda Funny Twitch chat every once in a while) and she almost certainly is having a rough go at it at the moment.

Regardless, the wording of the letter sounds hopeful. I'm not gonna say it'll definitely mean a clarification on what the quality will be like on the discs, but well... it's the first step towards that potentially happening.
Oh my god, I'm going to regret trying to cancel this now, aren't I?

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:07 pm

Tylerman29 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:47 pm Looks like we will get more information soon!

Thank You!
Gerald

Funimation Support“
Not to be pessimistic but don't get your hopes up. Sometimes CS know as much as we do but they try to make customers feel excited about a product.

It's like asking an employee at a retail store and he/she doesn't really know the product too well but gives a positive, vague answer.

SqueakyBoots
Beyond Newbie

Post by SqueakyBoots » Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:09 pm

The Customer Support lines don't have any control over what goes into the product. They can pass the message and complaints along to management but that's really about it.

I do find it suspicious that neither Funi nor Toei have given any mention to the set on their social media pages since the reveal on Friday which tells me they're at least aware that fans aren't happy with this.

funrush
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by funrush » Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:18 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:46 am I simply merged the two screenshots (16:9 AR + 4:3 AR) from the Frame Comparison website and yikes... FUNimation is really taking the piss out of hardcore fans.

This is why buying the Season Sets over the Black Brick(s) doesn't really matter, you're not getting an improvement.
Christ, Funi, why zoom it in so much that the difference between the season sets and this are marginal? Why even zoom it in at all? What's so hard about just remastering the show right the first time? You'll never have to do it again!

I hope Funi seriously reconsiders, but given their track record I'm pessimistic.

SuperSaiyanPan
Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperSaiyanPan » Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:18 pm

Thank You!
Gerald

Funimation Support“
I can't find this tweet can you link it?

TLM Reviews

Post by TLM Reviews » Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:37 pm

Anyone know why you cannot use Paypal as a form of payment when trying to checkout? I do not have a credit card, and I only have a debit card. It keeps saying that my billing code is not valid.....what is a billing code? Thanks

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:38 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:06 pm That did sound weird re-reading it lol. Basically the safe zone is where the important visual information is. If it's not compromised then I'm ok with it. The 16x9 releses totaly disregard this. Now I'm not getting this set regardless (even if we get level style remasters) as my interest in dragon ball is slowing down a lot. But I feel i've said all I have to say regarding this release
I suppose we'll have to agree to disagree regarding whether to show as much as possible of the film cels (it's why I floated the idea of keeping the rounded corners, but tape marks would make that idea impossible).
SuperSaiyanPan wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:18 pm I can't find this tweet can you link it?
It isn't a tweet, it's a Customer Support response.

SuperSaiyanPan
Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperSaiyanPan » Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:39 pm

TLM Reviews wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:37 pm Anyone know why you cannot use Paypal as a form of payment when trying to checkout? I do not have a credit card, and I only have a debit card. It keeps saying that my billing code is not valid.....what is a billing code? Thanks
Is that not just your zip code?

Jon Jon
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Jon Jon » Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:41 pm

SuperSaiyanPan wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:39 pm
TLM Reviews wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:37 pm Anyone know why you cannot use Paypal as a form of payment when trying to checkout? I do not have a credit card, and I only have a debit card. It keeps saying that my billing code is not valid.....what is a billing code? Thanks
Is that not just your zip code?
I was confused by this too. It's the only store front I have ever seen that didn't just ask for the billing zip code. It is your zip code.

bigray
Beyond Newbie

Post by bigray » Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:10 pm

Thank You!
Gerald

Funimation Support“
Honestly I'd take that message as "it's the cropped version you saw in the preview but we don't want to tell you that" because what is the point of holding back that kind of information unless it was going to ruin your sales?

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:17 pm

lansing wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:21 am
superfan2024 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:06 am
superfan2024 wrote: Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:03 pm Visuals:
- Color corrected Dragon Box (could be upscaled to HD but I don't care either way)

Audio (3 Versions/Options):
- Japanese broadcast audio (obviously with subtitles)
- English dub audio with Kikuchi OST
- English dub audio with American OST (Johnson/Faulconer)
Is it possible for Funi to do this?
No, the dragon box belongs to Toei, Funimation has no right to alter anything on the product. Just like you can't change the melody of a covered song that you have brought.
What the fuck are you talking about? They can alter anything they want from those masters. They've already altered so many of the other masters they have to hell & back, so this wouldn't be any different.

Also, "can't change the melody of a covered song that you have brought"? What does THAT mean? Did you mean "made" not "brought"? If that's what you meant, um, yeah, you definitely CAN change the melody of a song you're making a cover of. The only question is if the new melody fits the lyrics.
Last edited by Scsigs on Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

jelleline89
Beyond Newbie

Post by jelleline89 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:23 pm

This happened for me as well... well more so my friend but we both tried using our credit cards. We're Canadian and our postal codes aren't accepted. It offers Canadian shipping, but doesn't allow Canadian postal codes as billing codes.

Tylerman29
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tylerman29 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:30 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:07 pm

Thank You!
Gerald

Funimation Support“
Not to be pessimistic but don't get your hopes up. Sometimes CS know as much as we do but they try to make customers feel excited about a product.

It's like asking an employee at a retail store and he/she doesn't really know the product too well but gives a positive, vague answer.
Oh my expectations are low, its just good to know they are at least aware of the backlash and may be providing a response to it soon. Whether our assumptions are true or not, at least we will know with certainty what the product is.
DB, Z, and GT subbed are my "canon".
SSJ4 > Any transformation in Super.