Funimation's 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon Nov 18, 2019 4:54 am

Tylerman29 wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:48 pm
Danfun64 wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 6:36 pm Is that the Toei Blu-rays of the movies?
Wish FUNi would get those and release em. i'd love new blu ray steelbooks for all the movies.
I could see Funimation license the movie remasters as a stopgap between Super and the inevitable Super 2.0 as I don't see the latter getting a dub straight away. Some of the new remasters got a theatrical release so Funimation presumably has the license, if they do they can always cash in on a physical release. I do say if these remasters are announced for an international release that we make noise for the Amazon versions to be used, and for DBZ movies 1-3 to include the Pioneer versions as an additional audio track
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:30 pm

Jesus. I'm watching an unboxing video of the MCU Infinity Saga boxset & the packaging for it isn't any better than this set.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:39 pm

Scsigs wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:30 pm Jesus. I'm watching an unboxing video of the MCU Infinity Saga boxset & the packaging for it isn't any better than this set.
Not suprised. The Batman TAS set used cardboard books, so did the xmen movie set and spiderman. Batman beyond uses the legit same back and the blue and greenbricks with same brittle plastic. They're all poorly planned.
Last edited by eledoremassis02 on Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tylerman29
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tylerman29 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:13 pm

Meanwhile Avatar TLAB is getting a good looking 15th anniversary steelbook set. Image
DB, Z, and GT subbed are my "canon".
SSJ4 > Any transformation in Super.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:21 pm

Tylerman29 wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:13 pm Meanwhile Avatar TLAB is getting a good looking 15th anniversary steelbook set.
Hopefully, they remastered the series because they could use an upgrade over the old Blu-rays.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:40 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:21 pm
Tylerman29 wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:13 pm Meanwhile Avatar TLAB is getting a good looking 15th anniversary steelbook set.
Hopefully, they remastered the series because they could use an upgrade over the old Blu-rays.
Still better than the DVDs, haha.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:41 pm

KBABZ wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:40 pm
Dang really?! hahah. Usually when I see SD to HD upcoverts I usually stick with the DVDs. I did that for Cowboy bebop cause all the CG stuff had to be upscaled and apparently don't look that great.

Tylerman29
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tylerman29 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:56 pm

Yeah the DVD set had horrible ghosting in season 1 especially. Blu rays are much better. New set is the same discs just repackaged.
DB, Z, and GT subbed are my "canon".
SSJ4 > Any transformation in Super.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:18 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:41 pm
KBABZ wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:40 pm
Dang really?! hahah. Usually when I see SD to HD upcoverts I usually stick with the DVDs. I did that for Cowboy bebop cause all the CG stuff had to be upscaled and apparently don't look that great.
Yeah, the ghosting was the main thing and it was super distracting. Frame rates matter y'all!

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:34 pm

Well it's all digital so it wouldn't need a "remaster" so to say, just a better quality HD release.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:48 pm

jjgp1112 wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 5:34 pm
Well it's all digital so it wouldn't need a "remaster" so to say, just a better quality HD release.
Shoulda said "re-render" since the original series was rendered for SD lol my bad

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:00 pm

SEXY!
eledoremassis02 wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:41 pm
KBABZ wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 4:40 pm Still better than the DVDs, haha.
Dang really?! hahah. Usually when I see SD to HD upconverts I usually stick with the DVDs. I did that for Cowboy bebop cause all the CG stuff had to be upscaled and apparently don't look that great.
For the BRs, unless I'm mistaken, they converted it to 480p instead of 480i & didn't do much other than upscale it to 1080p. I don't know if they can do much more from it considering I'm pretty sure they have this show's masters on tape. For it to be true HD, I think they'd have to reanimate it from the ground up (which I wouldn't mind given Korra's animation was fantastic). Given Nickelodeon kept Spongebob & Fairly Oddparents in 4:3 up until they were finally forced to produce the episodes in 16:9 way after TVs went HD while Disney & WB future-proofed a lot of their shows from the same time by animating them in widescreen & HD when they were produced & switched to producing/broadcasting new episodes in HD & 16:9 for broadcast in 2009, I'm not surprised. At least the Avatar BRs aren't interlaced anymore. Fucking HATE interlacing.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

funrush
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by funrush » Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:08 pm

SpiritBombTriumphant wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:34 am
Soppa Saia People wrote: Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:12 am
Scsigs wrote: Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:04 pm I know Kai's a bit soft, but I prefer that to fucking water colors.
yeah, i seriously cannot stand the look of these, they just look so ugly. it's just impressively unappealing.
I just want to say that, despite how shitty this is, I prefer this and even the season BDs to Boo Kai. If there is one thing Funi got right, it's not adding a fucking green tint to the damn picture. I can stand fake grain and knowing that whomever at Funi decided to do it is laughing right now (there! they got their grain! hahahahaha), I can stand (but dislike) the cropping to 16:9, I can stand the watercolor-y look to the picture, but I cannot stand the green tint. I don't know why, it is just my trigger. I simply cannot handle watching anything with it, and would take this set over a set with green tint (ex. Boo Kai) any day.

Funi may have intentionally screwed up, but even that isn't as bad as the green tint we've all come to loathe. So that's at least one thing this set got correct.
I think with color correction, this set would probably look better than most of Kai? The Ginyu-Freeza 35mm episodes aside. The rest of Kai looks so soft that it might as well not even be HD. Plus the weird tint on the Buu Saga episodes.

Not that this set is great or anything, the fake grain thing is basically insulting.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Nov 21, 2019 11:11 pm

Scsigs wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:00 pm For the BRs, unless I'm mistaken, they converted it to 480p instead of 480i & didn't do much other than upscale it to 1080p. I don't know if they can do much more from it considering I'm pretty sure they have this show's masters on tape.
For me the more pertinent question is whether the show was ever rendered in HD or not, considering it's a digital show.

dan2026
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dan2026 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:01 am

Can someone explain why they used DNR to remove all the grain and then add a layer of fake grain on top?
Because I don't understand at all.

VDenter

Post by VDenter » Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:05 am

dan2026 wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:01 am Can someone explain why they used DNR to remove all the grain and then add a layer of fake grain on top?
My guess is they saw the complaints and in an attempt to damage control they added fake grain on top so that it appears as if they fixed it. Naturally your guess is as good as mine. This is Funimation and Funimation rarely does things that make any sense.

MetaMoss
Patreon Supporter

Post by MetaMoss » Fri Nov 22, 2019 3:28 pm

VDenter wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:05 am
dan2026 wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:01 am Can someone explain why they used DNR to remove all the grain and then add a layer of fake grain on top?
My guess is they saw the complaints and in an attempt to damage control they added fake grain on top so that it appears as if they fixed it. Naturally your guess is as good as mine. This is Funimation and Funimation rarely does things that make any sense.
Considering they did a similar thing with their Cowboy Bebop release from a few years back, I'm thinking it's much more likely that the fake grain was in the cards all along. Doesn't make much sense to me that Funi would do some big change like that after they've already gotten all the money they're going to get from this release.
"Perfect" is the enemy of the good. True for Cell and true for real life.
Don't forget to slow down and enjoy yourself.

Kuwabara
Regular

Post by Kuwabara » Sat Nov 23, 2019 2:45 am

Not to derail the thread too much more, but the weird edge enhancement/haloing in that pic is really only apparent in the first episode. Nick's master for that one episode is really, really bad for whatever reason.

I would have preferred an "SD on BD" type of set, but the rest of the release looks fine for what it is.
This is the episode of when Gokuh enrages himself after Freezer talk shit about Kuririn

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Sat Nov 23, 2019 2:55 pm

My guess is that their restored masters are already smeared out from the beginning and they had to redo all the restorations from the beginning for a better remaster, so they chose to use the already available DNR'ed footage by making it somewhat more "authentic" with the fake grain.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:03 am

kei17 wrote: Sat Nov 23, 2019 2:55 pm
My guess is that their restored masters are already smeared out from the beginning and they had to redo all the restorations from the beginning for a better remaster, so they chose to use the already available DNR'ed footage by making it somewhat more "authentic" with the fake grain.
Valid guess, but I'd say different. I've laid out much my thoughts on this stuff in the thread I opened for this purpose, but in addition to what I said there, I would say Funi had prepared the 30th anniversary masters to be a smeary, DNR'd mess with a screwed colour grading and a picture that's far more zoomed in than it should be, and only added the fake grain at the end after all the complaints, the idea being to still have their "clean" image, but to have it still have a tiny bit of fake grain on top to nominally address the complaints about the lack of grain.
Meanwhile, to do it properly and actually address the complaints, they would have had to go back to their cleaned-up, pre-DNR masters, figure out proper framing to zoom it in just past the edges of the film, attach proper title cards, sync up all the audio to these new files properly (remember, the current release just wholesale reuses the Season BD audio), etc. etc. Not hard to do, but more than they were willing to do for this cheap-ass release that they'd already shown footage from.

The 30th sets were clearly about as cheap and lazy a release as possible, so Funi deciding, at the end step, to just throw a fake grain filter on top just to, in their minds, shut the whining fans up, tracks 100% with the philosophies going into this.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.