Funimation's 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by DHM211 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:16 pm

Metalwario64 wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:21 am
DHM211 wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:48 am Color Corrected Kai for comparison.
I don't know where that color correction came from, or if you made it, but it just looks like the entire green channel was reduced, so it's still pale and now the whites are magenta.

Here's a more proper color rebalancing for the shot:
My bad, I should elaborated. By "color corrected", I meant corrected to my personal preference, not necessarily anything proper, like trying to match cel artwork.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:42 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:00 am I want to highlight this in particular and say -- Yes, a lot of people on YouTube are also guilty of a lack of citation... That doesn't get Geekdom off the hook, that just means he's got a lot of company.

You raise good points in the rest of your post, but I don't really have anything to say on the rest. I think if I did, I'd probably just be repeating myself. And plus, I think this avenue of discussion has reached its end, so I'd rather not drag this out any further.
Yeah, that doesn't take him off the hook. That wasn't my point, but I can see how you'd think it was an excuse. It's not an excuse. For anyone. I'm just pointing out that it's incredibly common for people to do media discussion videos or reviews & not cite sources. To get very mad at just Geekdom is only getting mad at a symptom & not the entire virus or cause. Have your reservations with him, yes, but to cite him as doing those things & treat him as the only person to do them is incredibly petty. Especially when he actively says he's learned the info secondhand from top sources. I'll admit that he SHOULD actually state his sources in the videos somewhere or include screenshots of the info & have the name of the website on screen in his videos rather than B-roll of the DB shows or movies, or have them linked in the descriptions, but I'm not gonna get too mad at him for just saying, "I've done my research" & just leaving it at that.

Would I like acknowledgements of his sources? Yeah. I don't expect them, though. That's just my take, though, & I understand the frustrations if you're not as lax about this as I am in this case, though. I moreso have problems when he states something blatantly false that's hard to believe from the outset or speculates on something, passes it off as fact with no official sources backing him up, then doesn't amend his earlier words & actions to correct for error, since I think that does more damage than just not citing direct sources, y'know?
DHM211 wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:16 pm My bad, I should elaborated. By "color corrected", I meant corrected to my personal preference, not necessarily anything proper, like trying to match cel artwork.
No offense, but your version looks washed out as all hell, dude. DB usually has very vibrant or vivid colors & your diluted approach doesn't look good. At all. If you were trying to correct the overly green tint, I can understand, but getting rid of it almost entirely isn't good either.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

armyandstuff

Post by armyandstuff » Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:39 pm

Someone recently uploaded a nice collection of promotional scans and raw shots from the series, that have been showcased throughout the years.
I've made a google drive link if you anyone wants to download them for comparisons to any current or future release.
https://drive.google.com/drive/u/0/fold ... tvHn-r-J8w

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:54 pm

Scsigs wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:42 pm Yeah, that doesn't take him off the hook. That wasn't my point, but I can see how you'd think it was an excuse. It's not an excuse. For anyone. I'm just pointing out that it's incredibly common for people to do media discussion videos or reviews & not cite sources. To get very mad at just Geekdom is only getting mad at a symptom & not the entire virus or cause. Have your reservations with him, yes, but to cite him as doing those things & treat him as the only person to do them is incredibly petty. Especially when he actively says he's learned the info secondhand from top sources. I'll admit that he SHOULD actually state his sources in the videos somewhere or include screenshots of the info & have the name of the website on screen in his videos rather than B-roll of the DB shows or movies, or have them linked in the descriptions, but I'm not gonna get too mad at him for just saying, "I've done my research" & just leaving it at that.

Would I like acknowledgements of his sources? Yeah. I don't expect them, though. That's just my take, though, & I understand the frustrations if you're not as lax about this as I am in this case, though. I moreso have problems when he states something blatantly false that's hard to believe from the outset or speculates on something, passes it off as fact with no official sources backing him up, then doesn't amend his earlier words & actions to correct for error, since I think that does more damage than just not citing direct sources, y'know?
I have a hard time getting past it, though.

Especially when it's clear that most of his "research" is basically just him trawling through Kanzenshuu articles and translations, and then calling it "research", implying he's done all this original research into secret avenues, uncovered new information...

In an academic sense, he's essentially repeatedly committed plagiarism by not citing/crediting his sources, thus passing off any info he shares as being purely his own research and work. The most acknowledgement I've seen is him saying something along the lines of "Kudos to Herms for helping me research for this video."
Again, search hard enough on Kanzenshuu, and you'll find everything he was talking about. And by him not citing his sources, he's made it very difficult for anyone to follow up on his research, and either do their own video, or build up their own knowledge, without spending a ton of tedious time trying to figure out where each bit of information was given. It's hard to even tell if what he's said in the video is particularly reputable, since if you can't easily find the sources for his info, you may as well assume he's just speculating like he often does when he hears rumours that he "reports" on when he's wearing his "journalist" hat.

Yes, it's a symptom, yes it's a broad trend. Doesn't mean it isn't a really crappy attitude that I personally take big issue with. Maybe you don't, and that's fine. Everyone has their own personal buttons. This is one of mine. And as far as I'm concerned, the first step in addressing it is calling people out who consistently get away with it. 'Course in a case like Geekdom, it's just the tip of the iceberg of his poor practices.
Probably I wouldn't complain about it if it wasn't for everything else. But among all the other crap he pulls, it's hard to see it as just a one-off innocent mistake, it's part of a pattern of poor practice.

Anyway, we're getting very offtopic. I suggest we confine this to PMs if you wish to discuss it further. (I'd suggest a thread of its own, but I'm not sure a "hey guys, doesn't geekdom suck?" thread would be such a good idea. Not exactly in the spirit of the community guidelines, I think :lol:)
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:16 pm

Scsigs wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:42 pm
DHM211 wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:16 pm My bad, I should elaborated. By "color corrected", I meant corrected to my personal preference, not necessarily anything proper, like trying to match cel artwork.
No offense, but your version looks washed out as all hell, dude. DB usually has very vibrant or vivid colors & your diluted approach doesn't look good. At all. If you were trying to correct the overly green tint, I can understand, but getting rid of it almost entirely isn't good either.
No offense taken. I kinda prefer under saturated colors, idk why.
If you hate that, wait till you see how I "massacred" my fan cut of the FT arc :lol: :

SpiritBombTriumphant
Banned

Post by SpiritBombTriumphant » Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:34 am

Scsigs wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:42 pm DB usually has very vibrant or vivid colors
IIRC Ajay said in a video (might have been the one criticizing Funi's response to the 30th's DNR complaints) that it doesn't. It's Funimation who makes the image vibrant with the BS they pull before making another terrible release of the show.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:37 am

SpiritBombTriumphant wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:34 am
Scsigs wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 3:42 pm DB usually has very vibrant or vivid colors
IIRC Ajay said in a video (might have been the one criticizing Funi's response to the 30th's DNR complaints) that it doesn't. It's Funimation who makes the image vibrant with the BS they pull before making another terrible release of the show.
At the very least, they're more vibrant than his edits.

lansing
Beyond Newbie

Post by lansing » Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:01 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:00 am
Metalwario64 wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:21 am That aside, what are you referring to? Is that screenshot actually how it appears, with two different color tints on two halves of the image, or is one the unaltered one and the other your attempt at correcting it? If so, which is the original?
I believe that screenshot is actually how it appears, with different colour tints on two halves of the image. Which... I dunno how that may have happened. Clearly Funi didn't put much effort into quality control on this.
Like I said before, it was probably an intentional dust effect.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:54 pm

I appears to be in atleast 2 episodes. I caught it un these screencaps but didnt catch it when watching. But I'm at piccolo vs 15 and can confirm this episode doesnt have it.
DHM211 wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:23 pm Some screenshots from episode 5.
Edit: here is a screenshot from my set

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:49 am

lansing wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:01 pm
Metalwario64 wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 7:21 am That aside, what are you referring to? Is that screenshot actually how it appears, with two different color tints on two halves of the image, or is one the unaltered one and the other your attempt at correcting it? If so, which is the original?
I believe that screenshot is actually how it appears, with different colour tints on two halves of the image. Which... I dunno how that may have happened. Clearly Funi didn't put much effort into quality control on this.
Then why isn't it there in the Kai screenshot?

As I recall, Boo Kai's only visual edits were about two shots where they changed the mouth flaps slightly, a shot split into about five differently-shaped pieces each showing a different character's face was slightly adjusted to better fit in the cropped frame, and exclusively to the Japanese version, Super Boo's eye colour was changed.
No dust effects etc. were removed, no shots were redrawn, etc., so they won't have edited it out...
And anyway, it's too even to be a dust effect. It just transitions half-way down the frame to a different hue. There's no dust texture, there's no detail to it like the screenshot you posted, it's just a blanket half-frame discolouration... That's not how the dust effects look in Dragon Ball.

If you're really so sure it's dust, try grabbing a screenshot from the Dragon Box and/or the DVD singles. Personally, I don't have either on hand, so I can't really check.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:55 am

Robo4900 wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:49 am If you're really so sure it's dust, try grabbing a screenshot from the Dragon Box and/or the DVD singles. Personally, I don't have either on hand, so I can't really check.
I'd also kinda like to see the show animated in context of the scene it's in since I can't tell where it's from. Is there even supposed to be a dust cloud in it??

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:58 am

Robo4900 wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:49 am
lansing wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:01 pm

Then why isn't it there in the Kai screenshot?

As I recall, Boo Kai's only visual edits were about two shots where they changed the mouth flaps slightly, a shot split into about five differently-shaped pieces each showing a different character's face was slightly adjusted to better fit in the cropped frame, and exclusively to the Japanese version, Super Boo's eye colour was changed.
No dust effects etc. were removed, no shots were redrawn, etc., so they won't have edited it out...
And anyway, it's too even to be a dust effect. It just transitions half-way down the frame to a different hue. There's no dust texture, there's no detail to it like the screenshot you posted, it's just a blanket half-frame discolouration... That's not how the dust effects look in Dragon Ball.

If you're really so sure it's dust, try grabbing a screenshot from the Dragon Box and/or the DVD singles. Personally, I don't have either on hand, so I can't really check.
What episode is it from? I'll check my Bluray copy and see if I have the single that has that episode

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:47 am

eledoremassis02 wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:58 am What episode is it from? I'll check my Bluray copy and see if I have the single that has that episode
It's #268, when Goku's trying to convince Vegeta to fuse with him.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:45 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:47 am
eledoremassis02 wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:58 am What episode is it from? I'll check my Bluray copy and see if I have the single that has that episode
Unfortunately I dont have the single for this set....ugh

But I skimmed thru the bluray and saw no color error.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:57 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:45 pm
Robo4900 wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:47 am
Unfortunately I dont have the single for this set....ugh

But I skimmed thru the bluray and saw no color error.
Must've just been a rendering error, then. :lol:

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:32 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:57 pm Must've just been a rendering error, then. :lol:
Aren't most of the FUNi original home releases just rendering errors? :lol:

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:14 am

What do you mean by "FUNi original home releases"? I would have thought you were referring to the singles and saga sets (and maybe, if we're being "generous", the Orange Bricks on account of them being the last DB release with both Japanese and English viewing angles) if you didn't describe them as "rendering errors"... unless you are referring to the macroblocking issues many of them had.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:25 am

Danfun64 wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:14 am What do you mean by "FUNi original home releases"? I would have thought you were referring to the singles and saga sets (and maybe, if we're being "generous", the Orange Bricks on account of them being the last DB release with both Japanese and English viewing angles) if you didn't describe them as "rendering errors"... unless you are referring to the macroblocking issues many of them had.
Basically any home release where FUNi themselves remastered the film. Basically everything but the Dragon Boxes.
By "rendering errors," I mean where the remaster makes the picture look terrible. They have to throw the footage into a video editing software & render it to get it to fit on the discs & make it look like they make it, so I was making fun of their shit remasters there.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:16 pm

Scsigs wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:25 am Basically any home release where FUNi themselves remastered the film. Basically everything but the Dragon Boxes.
You could lump both Kais and everything Super in there as well. The Green Tint Broly is Toei's error of course.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:43 pm

KBABZ wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 12:16 pm
Scsigs wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:25 am Basically any home release where FUNi themselves remastered the film. Basically everything but the Dragon Boxes.
You could lump both Kais and everything Super in there as well. The Green Tint Broly is Toei's error of course.
Kai & Super were done by Toei. I'm just talking about vanilla Z here.