Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
SuperSaiyaManZ94
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1701
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:01 pm
Location: Alabama, USA

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:17 pm

MasenkoHA wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 3:12 pm
I dunno how its any worse (cropping and color saturation aside) just not much better. The 1999 dub is laughably bad the 2007 partial redub is barely improved and keeps to much of the garbage from 1999 to ultimately matter. They put the Japanese score back in and Nadolny and Sabat sound slightly less awful (until they don’t) that was their big improvement. Also the narrator is slightly less embarrassing.
It really is just barely better than the old Season 3 dub but in reality not by a whole lot, and aside from the whole consistency thing with the UUE version of the Saiyan and early Namek arcs it feels very patchwork and haphazard with how FUNi approached the redubbing. Just hearing Sabat's much improved circa 2005/2007 Vegeta speaking to Schemmel's wooden sounding Goku from 1999 is jarring as hell every time. They are so badly mismatched with one another by nearly a decade's worth of difference that it's almost comical, because Season 3 as awful as it was at least had the cast's voices fit even given their amatuerness while the OB redub doesn't at all. They only went so far before pretty much leaving things as is from Trunks' arrival onwards.

Honestly, as i mentioned in the thread i did about the redub a while back it really didn't amount to all that much in the long run because Kai came along not to soon after that point which turned out to be their best effort by far and basically rendered the partial redub effectively obsolete almost immediately as far as a faithful version goes.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

User avatar
BejitaSama
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 100
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:51 am
Location: France

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by BejitaSama » Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:26 am

Hi everybody,

I own the 30th anniversary boxset.

I wanted to share with you a strange thing, and I search an explanation. It's clear that some episodes have a heavy DNR, that create fade lines like some screenshots proved it.

But what is strange is that this not happen all the time : to be honnest, there's a lot of episodes (i'd say around 60%) where this problem doesn't exist and where the image is really - REALLY - good.
I noticed that this problem happened notably during the beginning of the android arc, during a large part of Super Vegeta vs Cell 2nd form fight, and during the last episodes of Cell game.

My question is : why is it happens only on few episodes ?

User avatar
Matches Malone
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1615
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:12 am

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by Matches Malone » Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:45 am

BejitaSama wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:26 am
My question is : why is it happens only on few episodes ?
Because Funimation doesn't have any quality control. To make things worse, these may be the same episodes that faced similar problems in their original Blu-Ray season sets, so it's not like they didn't know about them. Funimation at this point doesn't care at all about the products they put out or what fans say about them.

User avatar
TheSeductiveTomato
Newbie
Posts: 49
Joined: Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:02 am
Location: United States
Contact:

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by TheSeductiveTomato » Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:07 am

Matches Malone wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:45 am
BejitaSama wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:26 am
My question is : why is it happens only on few episodes ?
Because Funimation doesn't have any quality control. To make things worse, these may be the same episodes that faced similar problems in their original Blu-Ray season sets, so it's not like they didn't know about them. Funimation at this point doesn't care at all about the products they put out or what fans say about them.
They would care if people quit buying everything with the Dragon Ball name attached to it and we made them actually work for our hard earned dollars

User avatar
Matches Malone
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1615
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:12 am

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by Matches Malone » Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:52 am

TheSeductiveTomato wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:07 am
They would care if people quit buying everything with the Dragon Ball name attached to it and we made them actually work for our hard earned dollars
Funimation's primary target is the North American fan base, the most ignorant side of the community. As far as they're concerned, Funimation is doing an A+ job. To be fair though, this set didn't sell as fast as it should've, possibly due to some catching onto what's really going on. It's unfortunately not enough to change anything though.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1840
Joined: Thu May 21, 2015 9:09 am
Location: Kildare, Ireland

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:20 pm

Matches Malone wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:52 am
To be fair though, this set didn't sell as fast as it should've, possibly due to some catching onto what's really going on. It's unfortunately not enough to change anything though.
Quite likely. I'd also say when the two sets of season sets were being released the lower MSRP of $30-40 per season was a lot more tempting than dropping $350 in one go (which not all fans would have), and yeah I definitely see this trend continuing up to the inevitable future announcement of UHD Blu-Ray season sets.
Selling
- Arrival DVD single
- Betrayal DVD single

Looking For
- Funimation Level 1.2 Replacement Cover
- Showdown DVD single

If interested PM with offers

User avatar
TheSeductiveTomato
Newbie
Posts: 49
Joined: Sun Aug 18, 2013 1:02 am
Location: United States
Contact:

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by TheSeductiveTomato » Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:17 pm

Matches Malone wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:52 am
TheSeductiveTomato wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:07 am
They would care if people quit buying everything with the Dragon Ball name attached to it and we made them actually work for our hard earned dollars
Funimation's primary target is the North American fan base, the most ignorant side of the community. As far as they're concerned, Funimation is doing an A+ job. To be fair though, this set didn't sell as fast as it should've, possibly due to some catching onto what's really going on. It's unfortunately not enough to change anything though.
More likely that the average fan that does't care about quality is just tired of them releasing a new edition every few years. The bluray season sets are good enough and this is just an exclusive collector's edition to them.

User avatar
Tylerman29
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 203
Joined: Tue May 23, 2017 7:43 pm
Location: Texas

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by Tylerman29 » Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:58 pm

BejitaSama wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:26 am

My question is : why is it happens only on few episodes ?
I don't wanna say you are lying (maybe you just done know what to look for), but I also owned it for a couple weeks before I sold it and spot checked various episodes from different arcs. Every episode looks pretty bad. Maybe some worse than others, but bad all the same. I would never choose to watch it over the Dragon Boxes. I wanted it to be good, I even defended it on here before I got my hands on it. It's very depressing for a 30th anniversary.
Anime-only DB fan.
DB, Z, and GT subbed are my "holy trinity".
Wish we had the DB and GT DBoxes in the west.
SSJ4 > Any transformation in Super.

User avatar
eledoremassis02
I Live Here
Posts: 3516
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:40 pm

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by eledoremassis02 » Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:24 pm

I think he's regarding the out of focus looking shots?

Honestly, I'm not pleased with any release of Dragon Ball and Z and even Kai (the redrawn scenes take me out of it) and I hit the point where it wasn't fun to collect the show. I got the 30th am fine with it. I recently got some of the U.S Dragon Boxes even they feel underwhelming. Levels would have been ideal and again not perfect and that for me is the problem. So, I'm not re-buying this show anymore. It's too much money and too much time. I still stand with what I said before this set comes out.

I may well be near 40 years old the next time a new release comes out, and I'm getting too old and have too many other expenses to be picky about a series I may watch once every few years.

Hopefully one day you guys will get a release that contents your desire as a collectors (unless those are the Dragon Boxes, in wich case keep em and hold em tight!)

User avatar
ect5150
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1059
Joined: Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:17 pm
Location: Tenkaichi Tournament Grounds

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by ect5150 » Fri Apr 10, 2020 2:41 pm

BejitaSama wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:26 am
Hi everybody,

I own the 30th anniversary boxset.

I wanted to share with you a strange thing, and I search an explanation. It's clear that some episodes have a heavy DNR, that create fade lines like some screenshots proved it.

But what is strange is that this not happen all the time : to be honnest, there's a lot of episodes (i'd say around 60%) where this problem doesn't exist and where the image is really - REALLY - good.
I noticed that this problem happened notably during the beginning of the android arc, during a large part of Super Vegeta vs Cell 2nd form fight, and during the last episodes of Cell game.

My question is : why is it happens only on few episodes ?
I've wondered about this myself and wondered if the film stock FUNI has may have "issues"... by this I mean, certain episodes may have heavier grain and therefore gotten a heavier filter... or maybe some eps are slightly out of focus and that helps destroy the line definition.

Of course, as others have mentioned... their quality control may suck ass and they are just treating us as suckers as this point. I don't think many of us would mind if they left all of the grain intact.
ect5150
Better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt.
DB DBox color corrections & DBox color corrections.

User avatar
BejitaSama
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 100
Joined: Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:51 am
Location: France

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by BejitaSama » Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:06 pm

I don't wanna say you are lying (maybe you just done know what to look for), but I also owned it for a couple weeks before I sold it and spot checked various episodes from different arcs. Every episode looks pretty bad. Maybe some worse than others, but bad all the same. I would never choose to watch it over the Dragon Boxes. I wanted it to be good, I even defended it on here before I got my hands on it. It's very depressing for a 30th anniversary.
I watched all episodes up to number 199, and I can say that it's most of the time the best official release to watch DBZ on a 4k TV. It's not perfect (except for some episodes that looks beautiful, and these episodes in general have dust, does that means that they weren't "clenead" like others ?), but it's often still better that a low resolution release.
I think he's regarding the out of focus looking shots?

Honestly, I'm not pleased with any release of Dragon Ball and Z and even Kai (the redrawn scenes take me out of it) and I hit the point where it wasn't fun to collect the show. I got the 30th am fine with it. I recently got some of the U.S Dragon Boxes even they feel underwhelming. Levels would have been ideal and again not perfect and that for me is the problem. So, I'm not re-buying this show anymore. It's too much money and too much time. I still stand with what I said before this set comes out.

I may well be near 40 years old the next time a new release comes out, and I'm getting too old and have too many other expenses to be picky about a series I may watch once every few years.

Hopefully one day you guys will get a release that contents your desire as a collectors (unless those are the Dragon Boxes, in wich case keep em and hold em tight!)
100% agree :D The best would be the quality of the DBZ movies (Netflix version)
I've wondered about this myself and wondered if the film stock FUNI has may have "issues"... by this I mean, certain episodes may have heavier grain and therefore gotten a heavier filter... or maybe some eps are slightly out of focus and that helps destroy the line definition.
I wondered too, it's very strange...Someone that owns the season set could tell us if this happening for the same episodes ?
It's a little bit frustrating, cause the set is very cool.

User avatar
Tylerman29
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 203
Joined: Tue May 23, 2017 7:43 pm
Location: Texas

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by Tylerman29 » Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:02 pm

BejitaSama wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:06 pm


I watched all episodes up to number 199, and I can say that it's most of the time the best official release to watch DBZ on a 4k TV. It's not perfect (except for some episodes that looks beautiful, and these episodes in general have dust, does that means that they weren't "clenead" like others ?), but it's often still better that a low resolution release.
It's pointless to go back and forth on this but as someone who also owns a 4K tv and a 4K player upscaling, to me the Dragon Boxes and Level Sets look far better in every way. I can't stand the "clean" look funimation likes to go for on their modern releases. although Kai looks good albeit kinda smudgey and those redraws look soo out of place.
Anime-only DB fan.
DB, Z, and GT subbed are my "holy trinity".
Wish we had the DB and GT DBoxes in the west.
SSJ4 > Any transformation in Super.

DrBriefsCat
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 180
Joined: Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:12 pm
Location: USA

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by DrBriefsCat » Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:59 pm

BejitaSama wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 3:26 am
Hi everybody,

I own the 30th anniversary boxset.

I wanted to share with you a strange thing, and I search an explanation. It's clear that some episodes have a heavy DNR, that create fade lines like some screenshots proved it.

But what is strange is that this not happen all the time : to be honnest, there's a lot of episodes (i'd say around 60%) where this problem doesn't exist and where the image is really - REALLY - good.
I noticed that this problem happened notably during the beginning of the android arc, during a large part of Super Vegeta vs Cell 2nd form fight, and during the last episodes of Cell game.

My question is : why is it happens only on few episodes ?
Sounds like it could be an issue with the film prints they're using, which may be inconsistent in quality.

User avatar
Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 10275
Joined: Sat Mar 30, 2013 5:22 pm
Location: Atlantis.

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:44 am

Matches Malone wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:52 am
TheSeductiveTomato wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:07 am
They would care if people quit buying everything with the Dragon Ball name attached to it and we made them actually work for our hard earned dollars
Funimation's primary target is the North American fan base, the most ignorant side of the community. As far as they're concerned, Funimation is doing an A+ job. To be fair though, this set didn't sell as fast as it should've, possibly due to some catching onto what's really going on. It's unfortunately not enough to change anything though.
I think that is harsh. I don't think liking these remasters makes anyone "ignorant". This is all subjective at the end of the day people genuinely like the remasters so who are we to judge, fair play to them.

User avatar
Matches Malone
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1615
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:12 am

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by Matches Malone » Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:59 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:44 am
I think that is harsh. I don't think liking these remasters makes anyone "ignorant". This is all subjective at the end of the day people genuinely like the remasters so who are we to judge, fair play to them.
Funimation outright lies to fans about these being "the way it was meant to be seen", something they can only get away with due to fans in NA not knowing what's really going on. That's what I mean by ignorant, they don't know Funimation has been cheating them out of a proper release for years. Before Kanzenshuu, I also used to fall for Funimation's flashy words, so I'm not excluding myself from being ignorant before.

User avatar
SuperSaiyaManZ94
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1701
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:01 pm
Location: Alabama, USA

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:48 am

Matches Malone wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:59 am
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:44 am
I think that is harsh. I don't think liking these remasters makes anyone "ignorant". This is all subjective at the end of the day people genuinely like the remasters so who are we to judge, fair play to them.
Funimation outright lies to fans about these being "the way it was meant to be seen", something they can only get away with due to fans in NA not knowing what's really going on. That's what I mean by ignorant, they don't know Funimation has been cheating them out of a proper release for years. Before Kanzenshuu, I also used to fall for Funimation's flashy words, so I'm not excluding myself from being ignorant before.
Then of course they mislead fans with trailers that have a lot of deceptive speak and misinformation.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=miXN6645TfM&t=51s
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

User avatar
Matches Malone
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1615
Joined: Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:12 am

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by Matches Malone » Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:13 am

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:48 am
Then of course they mislead fans with trailers that have a lot of deceptive speak and misinformation.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=miXN6645TfM&t=51s
So many lies in a clip so short. You can't blame them for it though, those "remastered" sets were top sellers on Amazon and other sites for years, probably selling far more than even they expected.

User avatar
SuperSaiyaManZ94
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1701
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:01 pm
Location: Alabama, USA

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:20 am

Matches Malone wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:13 am
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:48 am
Then of course they mislead fans with trailers that have a lot of deceptive speak and misinformation.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=miXN6645TfM&t=51s
So many lies in a clip so short. You can't blame them for it though, those "remastered" sets were top sellers on Amazon and other sites for years, probably selling far more than even they expected.
Yeah it's just too bad the video quality is so horrible and the aspect ratio completely wrong, if only those things weren't done back then because the OB's still would've sold just as well if they were the same masters that had been previously used for the single disc releases only with better encoding.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

User avatar
eledoremassis02
I Live Here
Posts: 3516
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:40 pm

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by eledoremassis02 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:04 am

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:48 am
Matches Malone wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:59 am
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:44 am
I think that is harsh. I don't think liking these remasters makes anyone "ignorant". This is all subjective at the end of the day people genuinely like the remasters so who are we to judge, fair play to them.
Funimation outright lies to fans about these being "the way it was meant to be seen", something they can only get away with due to fans in NA not knowing what's really going on. That's what I mean by ignorant, they don't know Funimation has been cheating them out of a proper release for years. Before Kanzenshuu, I also used to fall for Funimation's flashy words, so I'm not excluding myself from being ignorant before.
Then of course they mislead fans with trailers that have a lot of deceptive speak and misinformation.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=miXN6645TfM&t=51s
Welcome to marketing, unfortunately, at least in this video they mention multiple times that the 16x9 aspect ration was in fact new. And while "Original Japanese film" is quite misleading it's not wrong either. It's original film struck in Japan. Now, this https://youtu.be/JDelwuyToVw?t=20 is a straight-up lie because they relay the information that it comes from the Japanese masters. They tote this lie up until season 5 where it just becomes "uncut and remastered" which makes me wonder if someone did complain. People just want that instant gratification. I mean, look how many people bought these but knew they were not "how they were originally meant to be seen" but they needed season two or if was the first time to get the whole series uncut, or it was cheap or they wanted them to add to their collection. Many of us, myself included, are guilty of this. And at least we got the Dragon Boxes, they screwed us on that too but at least some of the hardcore fans got them. And outside of the color issues, those are how the show was meant to be seen. In SD, Japanese title cards, proper credits, (misplaced) NEP. So, we actually did get very close to the definitive edition, its just not spruced up for the new age.

User avatar
SuperSaiyaManZ94
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1701
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:01 pm
Location: Alabama, USA

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:16 am

eledoremassis02 wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:04 am
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:48 am
Matches Malone wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:59 am


Funimation outright lies to fans about these being "the way it was meant to be seen", something they can only get away with due to fans in NA not knowing what's really going on. That's what I mean by ignorant, they don't know Funimation has been cheating them out of a proper release for years. Before Kanzenshuu, I also used to fall for Funimation's flashy words, so I'm not excluding myself from being ignorant before.
Then of course they mislead fans with trailers that have a lot of deceptive speak and misinformation.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=miXN6645TfM&t=51s
Welcome to marketing, unfortunately, at least in this video they mention multiple times that the 16x9 aspect ration was in fact new. And while "Original Japanese film" is quite misleading it's not wrong either. It's original film struck in Japan. Now, this https://youtu.be/JDelwuyToVw?t=20 is a straight-up lie because they relay the information that it comes from the Japanese masters. They tote this lie up until season 5 where it just becomes "uncut and remastered" which makes me wonder if someone did complain. People just want that instant gratification. I mean, look how many people bought these but knew they were not "how they were originally meant to be seen" but they needed season two or if was the first time to get the whole series uncut, or it was cheap or they wanted them to add to their collection. Many of us, myself included, are guilty of this. And at least we got the Dragon Boxes, they screwed us on that too but at least some of the hardcore fans got them. And outside of the color issues, those are how the show was meant to be seen. In SD, Japanese title cards, proper credits, (misplaced) NEP. So, we actually did get very close to the definitive edition, its just not spruced up for the new age.
Yeah, and i do get that but at the same time it's a shame FUNi went with such a devisive release style that did more harm than good in the long run. The season sets were a good idea on paper but the quality of the video on the discs themselves really kills it. The simple fact is DBZ is a show that was produced in a particular era in 4:3 and should be presented as such, not butchered by having 20% of the vertical image chopped off and a bunch of grain removal filters that destroys the detail of the image.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Post Reply