Funimation's 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by KBABZ » Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:32 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:59 pmThe Season DVDs/BDs were a commercial success and it took them little work to get it together so why would they spend more on a quality release for niche fans? It's not very lucrative to them.
The other facet of course is that Funimation trumped up how awesome the Orange Bricks were. The cancellation of the Ultumate Uncuts was a harsh blow, but the fact of the matter is that Funimation lied to make it sound like they were "Remastered" when in fact it was completely untrue on almost every front (with the possible exception of including the Japanese audio). They lied about the noise removal, they lied that a widescreen crop was "the way it was meant to be seen", they lied that the colour grade and noise removal made the show better, and they lied that the DNR was done frame-by-frame. While I think Funimation has gotten better about it since then, it was to such an extent (combined with the Levels/Blu Bricks thing repeating history) that many fans still have venom towards the company.

And of course by putting out such a compromised release and SAYING it's better, they've indoctrinated an entire fanbase into believing that it IS better! Like, comments in the 30th anniversary announcement saying they won't buy it if it's 4:3 with the "boring" Japanese music! IMO the acceptance of the 16:9 washed out look is a bigger travesty than the old Funi dub and Falcouner.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:36 pm

KBABZ wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:32 pm
JohnnyCashKami wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 4:59 pmThe Season DVDs/BDs were a commercial success and it took them little work to get it together so why would they spend more on a quality release for niche fans? It's not very lucrative to them.
The other facet of course is that Funimation trumped up how awesome the Orange Bricks were. The cancellation of the Ultumate Uncuts was a harsh blow, but the fact of the matter is that Funimation lied to make it sound like they were "Remastered" when in fact it was completely untrue on almost every front (with the possible exception of including the Japanese audio). They lied about the noise removal, they lied that a widescreen crop was "the way it was meant to be seen", they lied that the colour grade and noise removal made the show better, and they lied that the DNR was done frame-by-frame. While I think Funimation has gotten better about it since then, it was to such an extent (combined with the Levels/Blu Bricks thing repeating history) that many fans still have venom towards the company.

And of course by putting out such a compromised release and SAYING it's better, they've indoctrinated an entire fanbase into believing that it IS better! Like, comments in the 30th anniversary announcement saying they won't buy it if it's 4:3 with the "boring" Japanese music! IMO the acceptance of the 16:9 washed out look is a bigger travesty than the old Funi dub and Falcouner.
Yeah, especially those trailers they put out at the time with all of their deceptive/misleading jargon and buzz words. I actually laughed when i saw them a good while back because of just how fabricated and outright false a lot of what they were spouting there was in reality. :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDelwuyToVw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miXN6645TfM
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:43 pm, edited 4 times in total.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:37 pm

Scsigs wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:21 pm
Bardo117 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:45 pm Why is there spoiler warnings on a 30 year old show
It's not that. It just reduces the amount of clutter.
Funny, i already mentioned that very same thing to him.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:22 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:37 pm
Scsigs wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:21 pm
Bardo117 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 5:45 pm Why is there spoiler warnings on a 30 year old show
It's not that. It just reduces the amount of clutter.
Funny, i already mentioned that very same thing to him.
I saw after I wrote that response.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:14 pm

KBABZ wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:32 pm"boring" Japanese music!
It's kinda funny that Dragon Ball Kai is now legally only available with the "boring" Japanese music and customers have no other alternative. Well, unless they'd spend time tracking down Parts 1-4 with the Yamamoto score but even then episodes 53-98 would be with the Kikuchi score.

Not that I'm shitting on Shunsuke Kikuchi's music, I utterly love his masterpieces but TOEI made a mockery out of his music.

rs_chaosmaster
Regular

Post by rs_chaosmaster » Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:24 pm

You think details get revealed before the end of the month

rs_chaosmaster
Regular

Post by rs_chaosmaster » Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:26 pm

You think details get revealed before the end of the month?

Hyena_Yamcha
Beyond Newbie

Post by Hyena_Yamcha » Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:01 pm

These Twitter comments made me rage so hard.

Thats why i hate the Dragonball fanbase outside this forum.
My English is poor .

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:14 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:14 pmNot that I'm shitting on Shunsuke Kikuchi's music, I utterly love his masterpieces but TOEI made a mockery out of his music.
It's such a shame that they went for matching Yamamoto rather than trying to accurately put the tracks back into their original place. Not only does that match the repetition of Yamamoto's score, but it also means that there's TONS of perfectly good Kikuchi music and themes being left on the table. I get it regarding the couple of remaining episodes that still had to be broadcast, but for the updated home releases there really was no excuse outside of not wanting to delay it. The fact that they didn't do that to me is an indicator of Toei's more modern approach to Dragon Ball where they just don't want to put in the money and effort to make it go from good to great because they'll make money either way (see: Super on TV, TFC, RoF). Hopefully Broly is a sign they're pivoting from that approach.
Hyena_Yamcha wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:01 pm
KBABZ wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:32 pmLike, comments in the 30th anniversary announcement saying they won't buy it if it's 4:3 with the "boring" Japanese music! IMO the acceptance of the 16:9 washed out look is a bigger travesty than the old Funi dub and Falcouner.

Just be thankful we're more enlightened than they are. And this coming from a dub fan who prefers that version! (at least regarding DB, GT and modern stuff)

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:20 pm

Geez Louise, those fans on Twitter just don't seem to have a freaking clue. Won't buy 4:3 and "boring" Japanese music my foot. :lol:

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:27 pm

KBABZ wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:14 pm
JohnnyCashKami wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:14 pmNot that I'm shitting on Shunsuke Kikuchi's music, I utterly love his masterpieces but TOEI made a mockery out of his music.
It's such a shame that they went for matching Yamamoto rather than trying to accurately put the tracks back into their original place. Not only does that match the repetition of Yamamoto's score, but it also means that there's TONS of perfectly good Kikuchi music and themes being left on the table. I get it regarding the couple of remaining episodes that still had to be broadcast, but for the updated home releases there really was no excuse outside of not wanting to delay it. The fact that they didn't do that to me is an indicator of Toei's more modern approach to Dragon Ball where they just don't want to put in the money and effort to make it go from good to great because they'll make money either way (see: Super on TV, TFC, RoF). Hopefully Broly is a sign they're pivoting from that approach.
KBABZ wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 7:32 pmLike, comments in the 30th anniversary announcement saying they won't buy it if it's 4:3 with the "boring" Japanese music! IMO the acceptance of the 16:9 washed out look is a bigger travesty than the old Funi dub and Falcouner.

Just be thankful we're more enlightened than they are. And this coming from a dub fan who prefers that version! (at least regarding DB, GT and modern stuff)
Indeed, the Kikuchi replacement score in Kai was very haphazardly placed with little thought or care, and so many times you have tracks that just don't fit like the originals did. I'm glad i got the first four Part sets which have Yamamoto's score up to the point where it was replaced here because of the scandal.

So true, i couldn't help but laugh when i read those comments and thought "Ok, these people call themselves fans but yet they refuse to watch the show in it's proper aspect ratio and the original intended musical score."

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:36 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:27 pmIndeed, the Kikuchi replacement score in Kai was very haphazardly placed with little thought or care, and so many times you have tracks that just don't fit like the originals did. I'm glad i got the first four Part sets which have Yamamoto's score up to the point where it was replaced here because of the scandal.
The irony is that as much as Yamamoto's work ripped off other people and felt overly-modern, for Kai at least they were placed in their intended spots, which Kikichi Replacement (Kikuchi-R?) is not. I mean heck, they used the old PICCOLO theme for the recap! WTF??

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:18 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:27 pmSo true, i couldn't help but laugh when i read those comments and thought "Ok, these people call themselves fans but yet they refuse to watch the show in it's proper aspect ratio and the original intended musical score."
To be fair, the original score can’t make Funimation’s Dragon Ball Z into Dragon Ball Z, and the Faulconer Productions score IS the intended score for Funimation’s Dragon Ball Z. But since Toei and FUNi like to pretend FUNi’s dub is the same as the Japanese version, them using the original Japanese score as the default (or only) option is likely, and unnecessary. I still want an accurate English dub.
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:40 pm

linkdude20002001 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:18 pm
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:27 pmSo true, i couldn't help but laugh when i read those comments and thought "Ok, these people call themselves fans but yet they refuse to watch the show in it's proper aspect ratio and the original intended musical score."
To be fair, the original score can’t make Funimation’s Dragon Ball Z into Dragon Ball Z, and the Faulconer Productions score IS the intended score for Funimation’s Dragon Ball Z. But since Toei and FUNi like to pretend FUNi’s dub is the same as the Japanese version, them using the original Japanese score as the default (or only) option is likely, and unnecessary. I still want an accurate English dub.
Yeah, and that is because the Faulconer score was specifically produced to go with FUNi's heavily reversioned (and wildly inaccurate) dub of the show back in the days when replacement scores in dubbed anime here in the States were still quite common in the '90s. Since the Orange Bricks and onward however, it seems FUNi has moved away from that mindset and are halfway burying that version under the rug even though not going so far as to leave it off releases completely minus of course the Dragon Boxes. That definitely speaks to how much has been changed at the company over the years from when Barry Watson and co were still calling the shots, and we have seen that not just in the more recent Dragon Ball dub productions from them but others such as One Piece and so on.

Also, in terms of an accurate English dub of the series with the FUNi cast Z Kai does fit that bill for the most part even if it still is not completely 100% in terms of accuracy to the original version.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:07 am

KBABZ wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:14 pm It's such a shame that they went for matching Yamamoto rather than trying to accurately put the tracks back into their original place. Not only does that match the repetition of Yamamoto's score, but it also means that there's TONS of perfectly good Kikuchi music and themes being left on the table. I get it regarding the couple of remaining episodes that still had to be broadcast, but for the updated home releases there really was no excuse outside of not wanting to delay it. The fact that they didn't do that to me is an indicator of Toei's more modern approach to Dragon Ball where they just don't want to put in the money and effort to make it go from good to great because they'll make money either way (see: Super on TV, TFC, RoF). Hopefully Broly is a sign they're pivoting from that approach.
I mean, here's the thing with this assertion. Yes, they could've done better &, in some places, it's clear that Toei could've put in a bit more effort on their parts, like letting the rest of Kai be put together by Q-Tec like the first 98 episodes (seriously, was it REALLY that big of a price gap to outsource the remastering that Toei REALLY needed their own in-house team to do it?) & rushing the animators to meet a deadline on Super, as well as its inconsistent script writing brought on by the writers not planning out the arcs in advance so they were consistent within themselves & feeling like they were writing by the seat of their pants, at least in the Future Trunks Arc, which had some of the most inconsistent writing I've ever seen in DB since the Buu Saga of Z, which had the writers putting in filler material on top of Toriyama's more comedic throwback writing that clashed with the more serious tone the Z portion of the series. Res F, I don't think was their fault. It was Toriyama's for writing a tensionless movie that had enough of a plot to be an arc of a TV series, which I think only benefitted it when it was converted into Super.
Broly was one where I think Toriyama had a mission. He wanted to bring in Broly & had the monumentous task of making him a better character than he was originally (because his blood knight tendencies fueled by his hatred of Goku crying when they were babies in the nursery were just stupid & Broly wasn't really a character in his own movies) & making you care about him that this movie had focus & something to prove. The script was also initially 3 hours before being cut down nearly an hour for time reasons, which some people could feel because there were weird pacing issues stemming from the cuts, so they also had a lot to work with. They also made the decision to change the animation director so that the animation department could get out of the rut they were in with the designer they had before, resulting in a movie with great animation & a possible great return to TV eventually if Super's gonna come back this year or in the near future with a return to form animation-wise.

That being said, if they give FUNimation the first generation film masters & FUNi get the team that remastered their 3rd generation masters on the job & both companies but money into this & split the check, then we could have what could be the best release of this series, possibly any animated show of its era. Like, I'd still default to kai, since it has better pacing & a better English dub, but I’d like a watchable version of the show on Blu-Ray for my archive.
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:40 pmYeah, and that is because the Faulconer score was specifically produced to go with FUNi's heavily reversioned (and wildly inaccurate) dub of the show back in the days when replacement scores in dubbed anime here in the States were still quite common in the '90s. Since the Orange Bricks and onward however, it seems FUNi has moved away from that mindset and are halfway burying that version under the rug even though not going so far as to leave it off releases completely minus of course the Dragon Boxes. That definitely speaks to how much has been changed at the company over the years from when Barry Watson and co were still calling the shots, and we have seen that not just in the more recent Dragon Ball dub productions from them but others such as One Piece and so on.

Also, in terms of an accurate English dub of the series with the FUNi cast Z Kai does fit that bill for the most part even if it still is not completely 100% in terms of accuracy to the original version.
I mean, I heard it was space reasons they left it off, or maybe it was because the D Boxes were supposed to be the more pure form to watch the series in. Either way, I don't think it's because they changed their ways since the early 2000s to dub anime with the Japanese scores intact. Granted, the only products they replaced the scores for were Z, GT, & the Z movies, so it's not like that practice stuck around very long once they knew what they were doing. I mean, Yu Yu Hakusho was the first product they dubbed since DB & they didn't replace the score for it at all, so it's more involved than you're giving them credit for.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:55 am

Scsigs wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:07 amI mean, I heard it was space reasons they left it off, or maybe it was because the D Boxes were supposed to be the more pure form to watch the series in.
I think here Funi were aware of who the primary audience for that was, and not including them would up either the video quality or episodes per disc.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:06 am

KBABZ wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:55 am
Scsigs wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:07 amI mean, I heard it was space reasons they left it off, or maybe it was because the D Boxes were supposed to be the more pure form to watch the series in.
I think here Funi were aware of who the primary audience for that was, and not including them would up either the video quality or episodes per disc.
Yes, they likely thought since most of the fans who bought the Dragon Boxes were getting them in order to watch the Japanese version subbed with the complete presentation and that oh so nice video quality. I can guess the reason that the "broadcast" dub with the Johnson/Faulconer score was left off because quite honestly it wouldn't really fit with the overall intention of the release, aside from the also likely technical reasons as well (disc space.etc) that factored into it.

Simply put, they probably figured that just the two included audio tracks were plenty enough seeing as there was one extra episode per disc compared to the JPN Dragon Boxes and they wanted to keep the video quality and bitrate as good as possible.

superrayman3
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by superrayman3 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 1:37 am

Scsigs wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 12:07 am I mean, I heard it was space reasons they left it off, or maybe it was because the D Boxes were supposed to be the more pure form to watch the series in.
In a way it kinda was space issues, the primary reason I think space issues was even an issue in the first place was because of the simple fact that FUNi for whatever reason decided to add an extra episode to each disc when compared to their Japanese counterparts (the Japanese DBOX had 6 episodes per disc while FUNi's DBOX had 7 episodes per disc). Had FUNi left their DBOX release at 6 episodes per disc like the original Japanese version (IE more faithful to the original source), then we possibly could have got the Faulconer score as another audio option as well (in addition, the video for each episode could have also "possibly" retained a higher bitrate compared to what we actually got, I put the word possibly in quotations here because even if FUNi had decided to use 6 episodes per disc as opposed to 7, the video bitrate may have still needed to be reduced to properly accommodate for a 3rd audio option, although I would imagine that the video wouldn't need nearly as much of a bitrate reduction when compared to cramming another episode onto the disc but I may be wrong about that).
If anyone has any of the DB/DBZ/DBGT or Maho Tsuaki Sally Japanese single DVD's that they'd be interested in selling send me a PM and I'll see if we can work something out. ;).

Android 50
Beyond Newbie

Post by Android 50 » Fri Mar 08, 2019 2:45 am

I really enjoy both versions of Z, the Funi version from the late 90s-early 00s and the jp version so hopefully they're able to fit both versions on this anniversary collection. But I guess the banger Falconer soundtrack and the hilarious funi dub will be bonuses at this point for me just so long as this has the correct aspect ratio finally and no blinding color saturating.
Maron is stacked!!

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:01 am

KBABZ wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:14 pm

The problem is that because most people think like that, this release might not see the day.