Funimation's 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Re: Funimations 30th anniversary collectible home video release

Post by linkdude20002001 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:33 pm

Woodlandbuckle wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:54 am Also, I'm not sure if you guys have discussed it yet, but do you all think this home release will be a normal type of Blu-Ray (1080p) or Ultra HD Blu-Ray (4K)?
If I’m remembering correctly, anything more that 1080P would have to be an upscale, and I don’t want that. The movies, however could be in 4K, but that’s be a separate release. It’s a matter of film size. 16mm versus 32mm.
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:38 pm

KBABZ wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:32 pm
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:25 pm True, perhaps they will eventually do new HD scans of their masters for both series and send them to FUNi sometime down the road.
Yeah. I just get so sick and tired of this "Test the waters with Z" bullshit that we keep getting, like with the Dragon Boxes and Kai and Full Colour and stuff. It just leaves the original show by the wayside because apparently that stuff is old and lame and irrelevant next to POWAH LEVELS and FUREEZA and VEGETA!! C'mon Toei, show respect for the ENTIRE show for once!
I mean take OG Dragon Ball for instance, while the Blue Bricks have been decent enough releases to me for what they are i would absolutely love a remastered high definition release here that has the complete package with not only both openings, but all four closing animations and most importantly the next episode previews. It would also finally be consistent with my other sets seeing as the Z Dragon Boxes and GT singles have them and the DB sets are the odd duck out with not having them.
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Kuwabara
Regular

Post by Kuwabara » Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:39 pm

linkdude20002001 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:33 pm If I’m remembering correctly, anything more that 1080P would have to be an upscale, and I don’t want that. The movies, however could be in 4K, but that’s be a separate release. It’s a matter of film size. 16mm versus 32mm.
16mm can still be scanned in at 4K, but the only extra detail it would really resolve would be finer grain structure. The more detail the better I say, but I doubt the various Dragon Ball series would ever see a 4K treatment like that for a long time, if ever.
This is the episode of when Gokuh enrages himself after Freezer talk shit about Kuririn

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:45 pm

linkdude20002001 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:33 pm
Woodlandbuckle wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:54 am Also, I'm not sure if you guys have discussed it yet, but do you all think this home release will be a normal type of Blu-Ray (1080p) or Ultra HD Blu-Ray (4K)?
If I’m remembering correctly, anything more that 1080P would have to be an upscale, and I don’t want that. The movies, however could be in 4K, but that’s be a separate release. It’s a matter of film size. 16mm versus 32mm.
Not really. Upscaling refers to enlarging a picture to fit a certain resolution. I think we were going under the assumption that a 4K version of the show would itself by a 4K scan of the film, not the Blu-Ray footage upscaled. My point was that with 16mm film, there's not really much more detail to be gained over standard HD.
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:38 pm I mean take Dragon Ball for instance, while the Blue Bricks have been decent enough releases to me for what they are i would absolutely love a remastered high definition release here that has the complete package with not only both openings, but all four closing animations and most importantly the next episode previews. It would also finally be consistent with my other sets seeing as the Z Dragon Boxes and GT singles have them and the DB sets are the odd duck out with not having them.
The Blue Bricks are fine, approaching good even, but the zooming and the AWFUL treatment of the colours does leave a lot of room for improvement. As does the OP/ED thing you mentioned too (I like how they advance along with the story, kind of). Fun fact: I assumed they used ED 2 because they didn't think ED 1 where the men cross dress on the stairs would have passed 2000s era broadcast standards.

Char Aznable
Regular

Post by Char Aznable » Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:56 pm

Guys I think asking for some super-hyper-mega-UHD-4K ultimate Blu-ray where you can see each individual pixel of grain at 8000p is asking for a bit too much, just a 4:3 release with a proper Blu-ray remaster would look fantastic enough. Again I cite the classic Gundam Blu-rays for how awesome that can look (0079, Zeta, etc.) when it's done right. Like I said, I would even be happy with just a completed version of the Level treatment.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:58 pm

KBABZ wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:45 pm
linkdude20002001 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:33 pm
Not really. Upscaling refers to enlarging a picture to fit a certain resolution. I think we were going under the assumption that a 4K version of the show would itself by a 4K scan of the film, not the Blu-Ray footage upscaled. My point was that with 16mm film, there's not really much more detail to be gained over standard HD.
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:38 pm I mean take Dragon Ball for instance, while the Blue Bricks have been decent enough releases to me for what they are i would absolutely love a remastered high definition release here that has the complete package with not only both openings, but all four closing animations and most importantly the next episode previews. It would also finally be consistent with my other sets seeing as the Z Dragon Boxes and GT singles have them and the DB sets are the odd duck out with not having them.
The Blue Bricks are fine, approaching good even, but the zooming and the AWFUL treatment of the colours does leave a lot of room for improvement. As does the OP/ED thing you mentioned too (I like how they advance along with the story, kind of). Fun fact: I assumed they used ED 2 because they didn't think ED 1 where the men cross dress on the stairs would have passed 2000s era broadcast standards.
Same here, they are perfectly serviceable releases even if the video quality itself isn't exactly the greatest. On the thing about the zooming in while it is noticeable and does make to where some parts of the picture is obscured, i still say that's nowhere near as god awful as straight up cutting off 20% to 25% of the vertical resolution to a fake widescreen image that was done to the Orange Bricks. In regard to the ending 1 animation while i could certainly imagine that FUNi felt that the "Goku and the guys in girly clothes" bit would've likely been weird and all to show, it didn't really matter in the long run because Toei sent them those multi gen copies back in 2001 which only had the first opening and second closing by default.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:12 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:58 pm Same here, they are perfectly serviceable releases even if the video quality itself isn't exactly the greatest. On the thing about the zooming in while it is noticeable and does make to where some parts of the picture is obscured, i still say that's nowhere near as god awful as straight up cutting off 20% to 25% of the vertical resolution to a fake widescreen image that was done to the Orange Bricks. In regard to the ending 1 animation while i could certainly imagine that FUNi felt that the "Goku and the guys in girly clothes" bit would've likely been weird and all to show, it didn't really matter in the long run because Toei sent them those multi gen copies back in 2001 which only had the first opening and second closing by default.
I've had a theory about that actually. Isn't it a remarkable coincidence that on the Dragon Ball Dragon Boxes, the OP and ED shown for the "creditless opening and ending" bonus features just so happen to be the ones used for Funimation? I think that's a result of giving them to Funi earlier in 2001!

And yeah, obviously I'd take a slight, sometimes significant zoom over a boneheaded widescreen crop.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:19 pm

KBABZ wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:12 pm
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:58 pm Same here, they are perfectly serviceable releases even if the video quality itself isn't exactly the greatest. On the thing about the zooming in while it is noticeable and does make to where some parts of the picture is obscured, i still say that's nowhere near as god awful as straight up cutting off 20% to 25% of the vertical resolution to a fake widescreen image that was done to the Orange Bricks. In regard to the ending 1 animation while i could certainly imagine that FUNi felt that the "Goku and the guys in girly clothes" bit would've likely been weird and all to show, it didn't really matter in the long run because Toei sent them those multi gen copies back in 2001 which only had the first opening and second closing by default.
I've had a theory about that actually. Isn't it a remarkable coincidence that on the Dragon Ball Dragon Boxes, the OP and ED shown for the "creditless opening and ending" bonus features just so happen to be the ones used for Funimation? I think that's a result of giving them to Funi earlier in 2001!

And yeah, obviously I'd take a slight, sometimes significant zoom over a boneheaded widescreen crop.
Yeah and that was just a few short years later no less, which makes me figure that those were standby backup creditless masters which Toei had stored in their archives ready to license the series out to FUNimation and companies in other countries back then during the early 2000's.

No question there, the zooming in on the frame may be annoying at times though if i heard correctly it was apparently done in order to cover up artifacting and damage on the masters.
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:08 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:19 pm No question there, the zooming in on the frame may be annoying at times though if i heard correctly it was apparently done in order to cover up artifacting and damage on the masters.
That makes sense once you've seen the Pirate Cave episodes on the Dragon Box, haha.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:13 pm

KBABZ wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:08 pm
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:19 pm No question there, the zooming in on the frame may be annoying at times though if i heard correctly it was apparently done in order to cover up artifacting and damage on the masters.
That makes sense once you've seen the Pirate Cave episodes on the Dragon Box, haha.
Yeah, i know i have seen some screen caps before of those at points in the DB Dragon Box where the frames were accidentally shifted too high or too low during the remastering and re aligning process. It's very noticeable especially when some of them are so zoomed out that you can literally see the very edges of the cels. :lol:
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AnimeMaakuo
Advanced Regular

Post by AnimeMaakuo » Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:17 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:22 pm
JohnnyCashKami wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:09 pm
Jord wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:14 pm Let's not jump to conclusion based upon hearsay from forum members since my uncle who works at Nintendo confirmed Goku for Smash last year and he hasn't shown up yet >_>
He's a credible user who has helped the community a lot so I'd trust him to be saying the truth. But yeah, it's his word without hard evidence (for now) so it's normal for people to be skeptical about it.
A lot of people have a lot of bad things to say about Maakuo; he's quite the controversial figure for a variety of reasons. So, some scepticism is understandable.

Still, he's saying the same kind of stuff we're hearing from elsewhere, so even his biggest detractors should take it as a strong rumour at this point.

The main thing I'm concerned about is whether they'll do this release right; a big box that has it all, and is the big 30th anniversary set, then later on re-release it at a lower pricepoint, and phase out the awful Season BDs.
As a long-standing critic of the business practices used by FUNimation and Toei, I have absolutely nothing to gain from lying about what I’ve been told. Take it with a grain of salt like I have, or don’t. I suffer no such compunction. Either way you’ll know when they’re ready to announce it. And as for my reputation goes, I have a very good one. Yes, there have been a couple members who got rubbed by me the wrong way due to a misunderstanding and one that was partially my fault (which I’ve tried to work out), but the majority of those you speak of (including the ones you were in contact with) who conspired against me for years out of sheer jealousy, believing even the stories they themselves fabricated, turned what was an otherwise perfect chance to have superior broadcast audio from the Fuji region (which I later acquired on my own from various private collectors) into a High School soap opera (this is one major reason why I left the DBZ community). It’s gotten too immature. In any case, I’ve given back to the fans through places like a piracy website with a lot of rare material, so please spare me your righteous indignation and get back to the topic in hand, instead of personal attacks. I think we’ve all done something we aren’t particularly proud of, but you make the best with what you have and move on. It would be wise if you did the same!

Thanks.
My YouTube

Soppa Saiyjins from Dorgou Ballru Zetto is my favorite transformation everah, especially when Trounksoru did it in front of Seru and when Bejita did it when he faced Jingonigen-hachigo. But for real, I use the FUNi pronunciation. - Soppa Saia People

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:47 pm

AnimeMaakuo wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:17 pmplease spare me your righteous indignation and get back to the topic in hand, instead of personal attacks.
To be fair I didn't find his post "righteous", it felt more cautious yet respectful to me, and certainly not trying to attack you.

AnimeMaakuo
Advanced Regular

Post by AnimeMaakuo » Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:56 pm

KBABZ wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:47 pm
AnimeMaakuo wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:17 pmplease spare me your righteous indignation and get back to the topic in hand, instead of personal attacks.
To be fair I didn't find his post "righteous", it felt more cautious yet respectful to me, and certainly not trying to attack you.
Judging from his past remarks, it has certainly been interpreted that way, however at this point it doesn’t matter. Let’s move on.
My YouTube

Soppa Saiyjins from Dorgou Ballru Zetto is my favorite transformation everah, especially when Trounksoru did it in front of Seru and when Bejita did it when he faced Jingonigen-hachigo. But for real, I use the FUNi pronunciation. - Soppa Saia People

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:19 pm

AnimeMaakuo wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:56 pm Let’s move on.
You've made me excited for the release at least! I had a query earlier regarding the censorship: is it completely uncensored from the original broadcast, or is it that the footage provided hasn't been additionally censored? If the source footage is from Toei, then that could possible mean the censored middle fingers would apply in the latter scenario, which would be an important factor for some of the other users here.

AnimeMaakuo
Advanced Regular

Post by AnimeMaakuo » Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:31 pm

KBABZ wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:19 pm
You've made me excited for the release at least! I had a query earlier regarding the censorship: is it completely uncensored from the original broadcast, or is it that the footage provided hasn't been additionally censored? If the source footage is from Toei, then that could possible mean the censored middle fingers would apply in the latter scenario, which would be an important factor for some of the other users here.
I believe FUNi is using the same masters as the ones provided in the level sets, however he will get back with me to confirm. As long as it is remastered properly, shown in 4:3, then I’m OK! But, if for some reason they pull a Toei and forget to include 4:3, it will go into the trash. :)
My YouTube

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:41 pm

AnimeMaakuo wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:31 pm I believe FUNi is using the same masters as the ones provided in the level sets, however he will get back with me to confirm. As long as it is remastered properly, shown in 4:3, then I’m OK! But, if for some reason they pull a Toei and forget to include 4:3, it will go into the trash. :)
Interesting! I figured Toei would be doing their own scan of the anime and that was what was being provided to Funi for this new set, since Toei did the movies and all. The downside is that it'll be a 3rd generation master (am I mistaken in thinking the Levels used the same masters as the Orange and Blu-Bricks?), but on the upside it'll be completely free of Toei's censorship, and the Levels looked pretty darn good to begin with!

AnimeMaakuo
Advanced Regular

Post by AnimeMaakuo » Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:49 pm

KBABZ wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:41 pm
AnimeMaakuo wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:31 pm I believe FUNi is using the same masters as the ones provided in the level sets, however he will get back with me to confirm. As long as it is remastered properly, shown in 4:3, then I’m OK! But, if for some reason they pull a Toei and forget to include 4:3, it will go into the trash. :)
Interesting! I figured Toei would be doing their own scan of the anime and that was what was being provided to Funi for this new set, since Toei did the movies and all. The downside is that it'll be a 3rd generation master (am I mistaken in thinking the Levels used the same masters as the Orange and Blu-Bricks?), but on the upside it'll be completely free of Toei's censorship, and the Levels looked pretty darn good to begin with!
I was told there will be no censoring like we saw with the middle finger, although when I talked to him he seemed unsure. Maybe I was over analyzing each word. Like I said, take it with a grain of salt regardless of his position at FUNi.
My YouTube

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:58 pm

I'm kinda excited for it now. Thank you, AM! :)

Don't know if I'll sell my Dragon Boxes Z but I'm definitely going to want to own this. I'm hopeful that the remaster will be like they did to the DB & Z movies for AMZN/NF/BD or even Kai which I really liked, but a treatment like the Levels had would be way better.

4x3 AR + CC + OBA + NEPs = Every DB fan dream of an ideal release.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:03 pm

AnimeMaakuo wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:49 pm I was told there will be no censoring like we saw with the middle finger, although when I talked to him he seemed unsure. Maybe I was over analyzing each word. Like I said, take it with a grain of salt regardless of his position at FUNi.
Sure thing, I can imagine it'd be something that might change as they work on the set, for various reasons. For example, the ESRB forced Toys for Bob to censor several examples of real-world guns in the Spyro trilogy remake if they wanted their version to keep the original rating. Considering how flagrantly expensive the set will be though, I can see Funi not changing anything, as this isn't really the set you'd buy for the younger end of the original target audience.
JohnnyCashKami wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:58 pm I'm kinda excited for it now. Thank you, AM! :)

Don't know if I'll sell my Dragon Boxes Z but I'm definitely going to want to own this.
I'm excited too, although I am still waiting for more details and, crucially, some actual example footage before I decide to plonk down the price of a high-end games console for the set.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:05 pm

AnimeMaakuo wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:31 pm
KBABZ wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 5:19 pm
I believe FUNi is using the same masters as the ones provided in the level sets, however he will get back with me to confirm. As long as it is remastered properly, shown in 4:3, then I’m OK! But, if for some reason they pull a Toei and forget to include 4:3, it will go into the trash. :)
That's very interesting, seeing as the masters used on the Levels were pretty damn good looking even with using the same sets of third generation prints used for the Orange Bricks. So if that turns out to be the case and that is what we are getting here then it will be the next best thing aside from a Toei provided scan.

It's ironic that the worst and best looking releases of multi gen masters came from the same source.