How much have you spent on the franchise?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

PFM18
Banned Alternate Account

Re: How much have you spent on the franchise?

Post by PFM18 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:51 am

Does this include the video games? If so, then I've spent A LOT. I've spent at least ~ $250 just on the latest 3 DB games alone between XV1, XV2, and FighterZ and the corresponding DLC for each. Then I bought several of the games in addition to that, which are roughly 60 bucks each. All 3 Budokai games, all 3 Tenkaichi games, both Raging blasts, all 3 legacy of Goku games, and burst limit. So that's gotta be somewhere in the neighborhood of 400-500 dollars. So I would put it somewhere between 650 and 750 dollars total for the video games.

Not including the video games? Not really THAT much. Have annual subscriptions to Crunchyroll and Funimation, and have bought a couple colored manga chapters here and there. Definitely below $200 outside of the video games.

so I'm most likely below $1000.

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:41 am

Pffft. Lets see:

Originally I've shelled for fansub & raw VHS tapes of virtually almost the whole original '86-'97 anime run during and throughout the vast majority of the 90s.

Then there's video games: I've personally owned Super Butouden's 1-3, Hyper Dimension, Buyuu Retsuden, Super Saiya Densetsu, Super Gokuden 1 and 2, DBZ Legends for Saturn, Shin Butouden, Final Bout, Advance Adventure, Supersonic Warriors 1 and 2, Budokai Tenkaichi 2 and 3, Super Dragon Ball Z, Attack of the Saiya-jin, and now FighterZ. Also Ultimate Battle 22, but only because I literally only spent one cent on it. No seriously: $00.01 total for that game. Brand new and sealed no less. I also owned a Greatest Hits copy of Budokai 3 for about ten seconds, but got rid of it quickly. Also if you wanna count it, whatever I've spent in quarters playing the three DBZ arcade cabinets way the hell back in the day while arcades were still a thing.

I've bought maybe a couple Japanese soundtrack CDs, but didn't pay terribly much for those at the time.

For official home releases, I've kept it very frugal. I didn't collect almost ANY of the various singles over the years, outside of the first three movies from Pioneer and the original pre-Blue Brick Saga singles of original Dragon Ball. I think I also picked up a Garlic Jr. saga set randomly from a store that was going out of business, but only because it cost barely ten bucks. Later on I ended up buying the singles of all the rest of the movies and TV specials from a friend (that I met on this very forum no less) for a very low price.

Then when the various "brick" releases happened, I eventually I caved and owned the whole orange brick run of Z for a hot minute or two, before selling them all off in favor of FUNi's Dragon Box release for Z, which I grabbed the entirety of while they were all still in print (and have no plans of parting with). Also the two GT green bricks. These days I have Dragon Box footage of basically the whole entire original '86-'97 anime run: both through FUNi's releases as well as rips of everything else taken from a friend's collection (which I then went and added in Simmons' subs onto). Barring another Dragon Box release (or some other close equivalent), I have zero plans whatsoever rebuying the whole series.

So far as the revival stuff goes, thus far I only own the Battle of Gods and Resurrection of F movies. Not sure if I'll end up getting the rest of Super or not. I'm not against owning it necessarily, but its hardly a priority. I'll definitely grab the Broly movie at least whenever that comes out.

I also own the original 42 tankobon manga volumes from both Viz as well as the original Japanese raws, as well as Viz's release of the first Daizenshuu volume (which I dearly wish they'd released the rest of). Again, like with the Super anime, I don't have any plans on getting Viz's release of Toyo's Super manga anytime soon, but I'm not necessarily against it somewhere down the line: its just not a priority.

Lastly, I've had maybe a small handful of posters/wallscrolls and an even smaller handful of t-shirts. And I picked up a little micro-figurine of Kiwi once for like a buck twenty-five as a goof (among my group of friends growing up, Kiwi was roughly equivalent to what Appule is like to Mike/EX).

I think that about covers my whole lifetime's worth of Dragon Ball purchases. No clue what the total would add up to, but probably at least a couple grand, give or take: which seems like a lot, but bear in mind its spread out across more than 25+ years. I'm not a toy person (and never was) and I don't compulsively rebuy every possible version of something over and over again: once I have something and I'm satisfied with it, that's it. And I generally don't like to have my house cluttered with tons of shit: I try to keep things as relatively spartan as possible.

The most expensive stuff overall was definitely just the video games and various anime releases in total: and in both cases, I don't think I've spent NEARLY as much on them as plenty of other folks have.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

ShadowBardock89
Advanced Regular

Post by ShadowBardock89 » Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:20 am

I do not know where to begin with this.
I've bought all of the Funimation Season Sets, the single uncut DVDs for Bardock: Father of Goku, The History of Trunks, DBZ movies 7, 9, 12, 13, Battle of Gods (Extended Cut), Ressurection F, DBZ First Strike Boxset, The Cooler Movie Boxset, Broly Movie Boxset, DBZ Showdown VHS, Bardock: Father of Goku VHS [Edited], DBZ Arrival VHS, DBZ Movie 8 VHS [Edited], and DBZ Movie 10 VHS [Edited].
That's just the anime. I don't even want to even try to go through the video games (and the DLC attached to some of them), the figures, manga (just the Saiyan arc, but I now have two copies of the arc), and so forth.
I bought the Collector's Edition for Xenoverse 2 TWICE!! That's easily at least $400.00 alone!
I am positive I've spent thousands at this point.
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=40715&start=20#p1439892
http://dba.bn-ent.net/character/barduck.html
https://i.imgur.com/86hOk5i.gif

BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:52 pm

Around $400 since 2002-ish. I can actually ballpark it as aside from one of the FigArts Zero figures my Dragon Ball stuff is all video games and FUNi home releases so that is less to track with a lot of easy MSRP's to go by. I don't buy a lot of video game sequels and held off on buying the series until the FUNi Z Dragon Boxes so that curbed it a bit, but the Toei movie blu-rays and a better release of Dragon Ball (if I don't have the Blue Bricks at this point I can keep waiting) will bump that up.
JulieYBM wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:Reading all the comments and interviews, my conclusion is: nobody knows what the hell is going on.
Just like Dragon Ball since Chapter #4.
son veku wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Kingdom Piccolo
Where is that located?
Canada

Badmanvegeta1991

Post by Badmanvegeta1991 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:25 pm

roughly 3,000 lol