Dragon Ball more popular than Sonic and Mario

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Young-Jah
Beyond Newbie

Re: Dragon Ball more popular than Sonic and Mario

Post by Young-Jah » Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:09 pm

Zephyr wrote:Would you mind repeating it for those of us with poor reading comprehension?
:x :x :!:
Character development is the process of creating a believable fictional character by giving them depth. You can think of internal character development as a circle: one that starts and ends with your character's fundamental goals and motivations
:x :x :x :x :x :x
It's My Boy, your Boy, his Boy! ~OSW Review HD

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:10 pm

Again, yes, that is what character development is. We all understand this.

That does not tell us why that makes it a metric for popularity.

Like, do you know what the words "popularity" and "metric" mean?

Young-Jah
Beyond Newbie

Post by Young-Jah » Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:11 pm

Zephyr wrote:Again, yes, that is what character development is. We all understand this.

That does not tell us why that makes it a metric for popularity.

Like, do you know what the words "popularity" and "metric" mean?
Yes :x I :x do.
And it does.

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:14 pm

You missed the word "why". I didn't ask you if it does. I asked you why it does. Because ABED and I don't see why it does. Without seeing why it does, we're unlikely to agree that it does.

This is an exercise called "justification", where you provide "reasons" and attempt to "convince" us that your position is one that we should "endorse".

Young-Jah
Beyond Newbie

Post by Young-Jah » Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:18 pm

8)
Zephyr wrote:You missed the word "why". I didn't ask you if it does. I asked you why it does. Because ABED and I don't see why it does. Without seeing why it does, we're unlikely to agree that it does.

This is an exercise called "justification", where you provide "reasons" and attempt to "convince" us that your position is one that we should "endorse".
https://blog.reedsy.com/character-development/

Young-Jah
Beyond Newbie

Post by Young-Jah » Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:21 pm

Zephyr wrote:You missed the word "why". I didn't ask you if it does. I asked you why it does. Because ABED and I don't see why it does. Without seeing why it does, we're unlikely to agree that it does.

And here's why.
https://www.researchgate.net/publicatio ... ideo_Games

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:27 pm

This is beginning to seem like a Laurel and Hardy routine, just not funny.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Young-Jah
Beyond Newbie

Post by Young-Jah » Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:29 pm

ABED wrote:This is beginning to seem like a Laurel and Hardy routine, just not funny.
I'm getting tick off man.
I just gave you the two links.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:33 pm

Young-Jah wrote:
ABED wrote:This is beginning to seem like a Laurel and Hardy routine, just not funny.
What am I supposed to take from the article? I don't see what it has to do with your point other than people enjoy games more when they like the characters and the story.

And I know what character development is. Why do you feel the need to explain the concept to me? We're simply at a loss as to how that applies to this topic.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Young-Jah
Beyond Newbie

Post by Young-Jah » Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:39 pm

ABED wrote:
Young-Jah wrote:
What am I supposed to take from the article? I don't see what it has to do with your point other than people enjoy games more when they like the characters and the story.

And I know what character development is. Why do you feel the need to explain the concept to me. We're simply at a loss as to how that applies to this topic.
OMFHG.
You know what, fuck it, don't ask me, find it yourself, you want in answer, find it yourself, I give up.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:43 pm

Young-Jah wrote:
ABED wrote:
Young-Jah wrote: I'm getting tick off man.

And I know what character development is. Why do you feel the need to explain the concept to me. We're simply at a loss as to how that applies to this topic.
OMFHG.
You know what, fuck it, don't ask me, find it yourself, you want in answer, find it yourself, I give up.
You didn't say anything! You make this proclamation, refuse to explain it, we kindly ask for an explanation again, you take my question as not understanding what a rudimentary storytelling concept is, link to articles that don't explain your point, and get upset when we remain bemused.

Character development is a technique for creating characters people enjoy, but it doesn't explain any given character's popularity.
Last edited by ABED on Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:28 pm

Moreover, you can have popular characters with no character development, and unpopular characters with loads of character development. The two ideas don't necessarily correlate in any way.

The Tori-bot
I Live Here

Post by The Tori-bot » Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:59 pm

I'm going to throw my hat in the ring and say that Goku's had more character development than Mario. He goes from a wild boy in the mountains who can barely lift a turtle to a family man who is so strong he can decide the fate of the universe. Mario was a jolly plumber trying to rescue a princess from a dinosaur in the 1980s and he's still that today.

Ipso facto, Goku is more popular. Y'all can go home now.
New to the forum? Just want to know when you'll hit your next posting rank? Ever wondered why some users have special titles, and what they mean? The answers to all these questions and more are waiting for you in the Kanzenshuu Member Hierarchy Guide!!
"Of all the things to worry about... the Wookiee has no pants." -- Mark Hamill
Herms wrote:Really, you could translate either title either way and nobody would care. But God would know.

Young-Jah
Beyond Newbie

Post by Young-Jah » Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:11 pm

The Tori-bot wrote:I'm going to throw my hat in the ring and say that Goku's had more character development than Mario. He goes from a wild boy in the mountains who can barely lift a turtle to a family man who is so strong he can decide the fate of the universe. Mario was a jolly plumber trying to rescue a princess from a dinosaur in the 1980s and he's still that today.

Ipso facto, Goku is more popular. Y'all can go home now.
:wave:

Young-Jah
Beyond Newbie

Post by Young-Jah » Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:12 pm

ABED wrote:
Young-Jah wrote:
ABED wrote: What am I supposed to take from the article? I don't see what it has to do with your point other than people enjoy games more when they like the characters and the story.

OMFHG.
You didn't say anything! You make this proclamation, refuse to explain it, we kindly ask for an explanation again, you take my question as not understanding what a rudimentary storytelling concept is, link to articles that don't explain your point, and get upset when we remain bemused.

Character development is a technique for creating characters people enjoy, but it doesn't explain any given character's popularity.
Fine, you want me to tell you.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:14 pm

Young-Jah wrote:
ABED wrote:
Young-Jah wrote: OMFHG.

It would be a refreshing change of pace.

Young-Jah
Beyond Newbie

Post by Young-Jah » Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:21 pm

ABED wrote:
Young-Jah wrote:
ABED wrote: You didn't say anything! You make this proclamation, refuse to explain it, we kindly ask for an explanation again, you take my question as not understanding what a rudimentary storytelling concept is, link to articles that don't explain your point, and get upset when we remain bemused.

It would be a refreshing change of pace.
Character development is a metric because it has to tell what the creator focuses on, and it has to be approve by the creative, and see if the fans will like it or hate.
It has to tell its backstory, personality, or what ideal.
There, you happy.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:32 pm

No because I have a hard time reading your post. I don't think English is your native language. If that's true, I can give some leeway, but it's in no way a metric. I don't think you understand what a metric is.

Young-Jah
Beyond Newbie

Post by Young-Jah » Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:17 pm

ABED wrote:No because I have a hard time reading your post. I don't think English is your native language. If that's true, I can give some leeway, but it's in no way a metric. I don't think you understand what a metric is.
I know what my English is, I know what metric is, you don't have to tell me.

Geez, it's like you try to ask me how to solve a math problem.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:45 pm

Mario is more iconic than Goku. People who don't play video games know about Mario Bros, not so much with DB. Dragon Ball is more well known with people under 35.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/