What was the purpose of turning Goku back into a child in DBGT?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

louisascommie
Beyond Newbie

Re: What was the purpose of turning Goku back into a child in DBGT?

Post by louisascommie » Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:05 pm

MasenkoHA wrote:
ABED wrote:
louisascommie wrote: I see them as a trio, a packaged deal.
But why Bra? Uub and Pan I get even if their paths don't cross much, but Bra isn't a fighter.
Did Bra really serve any sort of purpose outside of the situational humor of Vegeta being wrapped around his pre-teen brat’s finger?
I know this is a thread on gt but gt interpretations of characters really has no relevance going forward,

And in regards to gt the characters would have been different if the writing had just been different and of better quality.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:22 pm

Does it require her being a fighter? I'm still hung up on "Why Bra?"
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

ZodaEX
Beyond Newbie

Post by ZodaEX » Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:39 pm

louisascommie wrote:
MasenkoHA wrote:
ABED wrote: But why Bra? Uub and Pan I get even if their paths don't cross much, but Bra isn't a fighter.
Did Bra really serve any sort of purpose outside of the situational humor of Vegeta being wrapped around his pre-teen brat’s finger?
I know this is a thread on gt but gt interpretations of characters really has no relevance going forward,

And in regards to gt the characters would have been different if the writing had just been different and of better quality.
GT characters still make appearances in the video games so how are they not relevant going forward?

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:06 pm

ZodaEX wrote:
louisascommie wrote:
MasenkoHA wrote: Did Bra really serve any sort of purpose outside of the situational humor of Vegeta being wrapped around his pre-teen brat’s finger?

GT characters still make appearances in the video games so how are they not relevant going forward?
Why are they so important to you just because they are a few of MANY characters in the video games?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Goten_jr
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Goten_jr » Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:28 pm

As long as DBS stays in the 10 Years Timekskip I take every interpretation of GT characters seriously especially Pan,Goten&Present Trunks

Tai Lung
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Tai Lung » Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:05 pm

although the subject is a little deviating, I will say that, it will also depend on the expectations of others, I agree Why pan, bra or uub?
that is to say the interest that the fans had for pan and bra was because they wanted to see SSJ girls now that caulifla and kale exist and they are certainly more interesting because of their background and what is dedicated, the interest in pan and bra i to has come down from that Period from 2000 to 2007.
Goten_jr wrote:As long as DBS stays in the 10 Years Timekskip I take every interpretation of GT characters seriously especially Pan,Goten&Present Trunks
really GT only followed the personality that they have in the epilogue Z to exception of bra.

louisascommie
Beyond Newbie

Post by louisascommie » Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:00 pm

I assume the story of dragon ball will always be primarily be universe 7

And I dont think dragon ball will pull a star wars sequel trilogy, and have the new protagonist not be a family member of the original protag. Ofcourse Pan is gokus granddaughter and so fills the nepotism quota.

Mago_Gosora

Post by Mago_Gosora » Fri Mar 01, 2019 8:37 pm

I noticed Son Gokuh is hungry a lot more in GT, and I always thought that his power took a toll on his small body and made him require more rest and upkeep than he used to. The Instantaneous Movement thing is obvious. How easy would it be to find the Black Star Dragon Balls if Son Gokuh could basically warp his way around? That would kill the urgency behind going to find them within a year in the first place. It didn't seem to have much of an affect on his strength or power but it certainly affected the way he fought, having a shorter range but being faster and a smaller target is something he had to adjust to. Also, he seemed to struggle to keep up ssj forms like when he fought Baby and couldn't hold up ssj3 for very long. As an adult, by now, he would be able to hold that form; so having him exist in a smaller body that can't handle that much power for nearly as long was a good way to limit Son Goku's abilities.

ZodaEX
Beyond Newbie

Post by ZodaEX » Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:58 am

ABED wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:06 pm
ZodaEX wrote:
louisascommie wrote: I know this is a thread on gt but gt interpretations of characters really has no relevance going forward,

Why are they so important to you just because they are a few of MANY characters in the video games?
Why do you assume they are so important to me? You're wrong as usual.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:14 am

Apparently you care enough to tell me I'm wrong in a dead thread 4 months later.

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Fri Jun 28, 2019 6:02 am

It was a great idea when you look at the Trunks, Pan and Goku team. Adult Goku would have stuck out, like he'a taking the children on a trip, instead of looking like a team. What I liked even more was that while Goku looked like a kid, he still had the mind of a seasoned veteran, building upon his knowledge and experience from all of his Z experiences.

If you don't scale back Goku in power you have to boost the villains to unbelievable degrees or make Goku regress mentally and undo a lot of his character building.. Kid Buu was able to blow up planets as he wishes and regenerate after. You can't really get much stronger than that. You can, but it wouldn't matter as much. This is a problem in Super where most opponents don't come across as more dangerous than Kid Buu. Sure, their battle power is higher but the fact is that when the planet is blown up, everyone dies. This is the same danger we saw with Buu, only with Buu being more dangerous/unstable.

I liked how GT upped the ante a lot by making a lot of the villains creative and use personal ties to the cast to envoke emotion instead of just using the two basic tropes of "new guy lands on the planet" or "let's hold a tournament" which have been played out too much during Z already. to make any impact in Super. Baby's plan to turn Goku's friends into his enemies was a brilliant strategy. Taking bits from the Garlic Jr Saga and the Majin Vegeta bit but played out in a grand scale was very interesting since Goku couldn't go all out against his "friends". This gave the battle a whole new dimension.

Super 17's earth's Android 17 part was a brilliant move, with his relationship with 18 and her husband put to the forefront leading to an emotional finale of one the shortest saga's Dragonball has seen.